PDA

View Full Version : Religious Fanatics are Frightening

pussyface
06-25-2006, 03:46 PM
This is a link to a clip of the greatest scene in the single greatest episode of reality television programming ever created.

it is taken from fox's "trading spouses." A "Christian" is returning to her family after spending 2 weeks living with new age types.

If you haven't seen this yet you are in for a treat. Alternately disturbing and hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPW5RsMftQ&search=trading%20spouses

MaNuMaNiAc
06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
how you felt this had anything to do with politics is beyond me. Either way its not frightening, its disgusting. That bitch should be locked up

RandomGuy
06-25-2006, 04:40 PM
This is a link to a clip of the greatest scene in the single greatest episode of reality television programming ever created.

it is taken from fox's "trading spouses." A "Christian" is returning to her family after spending 2 weeks living with new age types.

If you haven't seen this yet you are in for a treat. Alternately disturbing and hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoPW5RsMftQ&search=trading%20spouses

I actually saw that. The woman is a good example of someone who has isolated herself from anything even remotely different. She deals with the world in absolutes and unsubstantiated stereotypes.

She was really crazy in a clinical sense.

pussyface
06-25-2006, 05:07 PM
how you felt this had anything to do with politics is beyond me. Either way its not frightening, its disgusting. That bitch should be locked up

the clip is politically charged. the intersection between religious beliefs and politics is a real one in contemporary American life.

You should just be thankful to me for throwing you a GREAT peice of entertainment rather than whaaaing me to death.

scott
06-25-2006, 05:38 PM
That's some scary shit... thankfully most religious people aren't even a fraction of what that lady is.

Spurminator
06-25-2006, 05:43 PM
the intersection between religious beliefs and politics is a real one in contemporary American life.

People that fanatical probably don't concern themselves with Earthly things like Government and Voting.

pussyface
06-25-2006, 06:39 PM
how much would you like to bet me that this woman is a Bush voter?
Most Christian fundamentalists in this country see Bush as "one of them."

jochhejaam
06-25-2006, 06:53 PM
how much would you like to bet me that this woman is a Bush voter?

You're more that likely the only one that cares.

pussyface
06-25-2006, 07:02 PM
hmm...
okay.
i wasn't condoemning bush for having wacked out supporters, but merely pointing out that Christian fundamentalists do in fact take an active role in American politics (Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell et al.)

Just because you were a little offended as a Christian-conservative doesn't mean that this stuff isn't interesting.

jochhejaam
06-25-2006, 07:21 PM
hmm...
okay.
i wasn't condoemning bush for having wacked out supporters, but merely pointing out that Christian fundamentalists do in fact take an active role in American politics (Pat Robertson, Jerry Fallwell et al.)

Just because you were a little offended as a Christian-conservative doesn't mean that this stuff isn't interesting.
All that because I said you're probably the only one who cares who the fanatic voted for? :lol

pussyface
06-25-2006, 07:35 PM
anyone with even a modest amount of intellectual curiosity would consider such things after watching this outrageous clip.

I was responding directly to the poster above me who said that people who are extremely religious dont concern themselves with Earthly matters like politics.

pussyface
06-25-2006, 08:11 PM
its not frightening.
Really? Like most people, I would disagree with you.

I though it was pretty scary, especially considering she is dragging innocent children with her down a path of insanity.

turambar85
06-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I have the distinct feeling that I have met her before.....Oh wait, thats it...it was every single homeschool mom I met throughout highschool.

Those bitches are down-right crazy. My fiancee and I were 15 or 16, and we went to a homeschool pool function, and they ended up scheduling a board meeting about troubling behavior in relation to us....guess what it was?

I had my arm around her shoulders...thats it....literally. Everything is "dark side"

Spurminator
06-25-2006, 08:17 PM
anyone with even a modest amount of intellectual curiosity would consider such things after watching this outrageous clip.

Not really. All parties get a share of the lunatic vote. I don't care any more about this lady's voting history than I care about the Unabomber's.

turambar85
06-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Not really. All parties get a share of the lunatic vote. I don't care any more about this lady's voting history than I care about the Unabomber's.

If it was a devout Muslim-extremist I'm sure we would hear people say he/she will be voting for Kerry or Hillary in the next election.

Spurminator
06-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Probably... I still wouldn't care.

Spurminator
06-25-2006, 08:25 PM
Let's also remember that this is REALITY TELEVISION... Everyone plays it up to be on TV.

Something a little fishy about a religious psychotic like this one agreeing to appear on a show about Wife Swapping.

lil'mo
06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
i feel bad for that psycho bitches family

Quadzilla99
06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
You guys didn't watch the episode I did. What she was really upset about was that she went to a Health Nut's familes house-they had no junk food, no twinkies, no batter fried apples, no 2 gallon buckets of rocky road ice cream in the freezer, and no 18 egg omeletes & lard fried bacon for breakfast.

Also she was depressed because Jesus saw her on TV and told her go on a diet.

Crookshanks
06-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Don't lump all christians in that pile. I am a conservative, born-again christian and I don't know ANYONE like that woman. She really was unhinged, but she's the exception, not the rule!

E20
06-26-2006, 01:10 AM
LMAO. That was pure comedy. That lady is a fat nut-job (literally, with jiggly arms and what not). Good find. Simon says Halleljuha!!!!!

BTW I love the scary music in the begining. It fits it perfectly. Also, Star Wars? Dark-Side? Where's Yoda when you need him?

Dre_7
06-26-2006, 04:01 AM
Something a little fishy about a religious psychotic like this one agreeing to appear on a show about Wife Swapping.

Bingo.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-26-2006, 06:49 AM
My question is how the fuck is the guy still putting up with that crazy bitch? I mean he seems normal enough, and the kids seem healthy, mentally speaking. One thing would be if she had a caring and loving personality, but this bitch is ignorant, abnoxious, crazy, and on top of that morbidly obese. Yeah, something is fishy about the whole situation.

Phenomanul
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
One thing pf, not every one is like that... in fact she probably represents a small minority of Christians... who in turn don't seem to get it...

Unfortunately, there are many more people like you... people so paranoid about things they don't understand that they downright hate them. It's saddenning, not the part where you are entitled to feel that way, but the part that always seems to ignore the 'good' being done by Christian organizations...

I'm going to go out on a limb here; but when was the last time you donated time and money toward meeting the needs of the poor? The last time you went to an orphanage to brighten up the day for many unfortunate children? The last time you went to a prison to give hope to the hopeless. I don't know you, but I would venture to say you don't participate in such endeavors... at least not on a consistent basis. And yet you would spurn those that do, those embracing the true* religion according to the Bible by labeling them 'fanatics', 'bigots', 'zealots'... or whatever word suits your disdain accordingly. Congratulations on demonstrating that you can harbor hatred for things you don't understand; but go on... please enlighten us with your reason....

xrayzebra
06-26-2006, 09:10 AM
The thing I didn't understand. She threw the cameraman (or a ca merman out) the
door, but someone was still there taking pictures of her. Does this smack a little
bit of the movie business. She acted the part of an idiot. But like someone said
above, something was wrong with the picture when all the rest of the family seemed
quite normal. And fat she was, but go to your local HEB sometimes. The come in
larger sizes. Could be someone was trying to make a point about religion and the
"dark side" of it. But it is a TV show.

DarkReign
06-26-2006, 11:11 AM
I have the distinct feeling that I have met her before.....Oh wait, thats it...it was every single homeschool mom I met throughout highschool.

Those bitches are down-right crazy. My fiancee and I were 15 or 16, and we went to a homeschool pool function, and they ended up scheduling a board meeting about troubling behavior in relation to us....guess what it was?

I had my arm around her shoulders...thats it....literally. Everything is "dark side"

QFT

When I was in third grade, these 2 brothers were pulled out of school mid-year and were home-schooled from that point on.

I seen the oldest (my age) like 10-13 years later. He had long hair, long beard, loose clothes and spoke very softly. From 20 feet away, and if you squint, he looked alo like Jesus. Coincidence?

Or insular ignorance?

Obviously, we didnt speak.

Crookshanks
06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Quit ragging on the home-schooled kids. Tests have shown that the vast majority of them are above normal on standardized tests and ususually graduate at a younger age.

In fact, many of the top universities in the country actively recruit home-schooled kids. One of my daughter's friends graduated at age 15 1/2. She started college before her 16th birthday. She graduated from college at age 19 and is now working on a master's degree!

She's smarter and better educated than probably most of the people on this board, and she's much younger!

DarkReign
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Quit ragging on the home-schooled kids. Tests have shown that the vast majority of them are above normal on standardized tests and ususually graduate at a younger age.

In fact, many of the top universities in the country actively recruit home-schooled kids. One of my daughter's friends graduated at age 15 1/2. She started college before her 16th birthday. She graduated from college at age 19 and is now working on a master's degree!

She's smarter and better educated than probably most of the people on this board, and she's much younger!

...and weirder.

I would trade her intelligence for my street smarts all day and twice on Sunday. Look at your President, does he strike you as above average intelligence?

Nope. Yet he is the most powerful man in the world. Smart = overrated. Some of the smartest people in the world havent amounted to shit. The highest recorded IQ ever...the guy was a bouncer at a bar.

Whoopety-doo! Whats her major? Art history?

DarkReign
06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
street smarts

:lol

yeah dogg you larnd everything you know out there on them cold streets in detroit

Figure of speech. You know what I meant.

No, I dont live in Detroit. No one that posts here does.

Crookshanks
06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Whoopety-doo! Whats her major? Art history?

Nope, try psychology. She's going on to get her doctorate so she can become a psychiatrist. What's your calling in life, besides being an idiot?

Extra Stout
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
DarkReign is getting owned.

RandomGuy
06-26-2006, 06:42 PM
I would point out in the end, she and her family still accepted the $50,000 that she said she would not...

Quadzilla99
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
That lady recently had to be airlifted to a hospital because of a heart attack. The paramedics were shocked when they found $6.42 in change under her left breast.

DarkReign
06-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Nope, try psychology. She's going on to get her doctorate so she can become a psychiatrist. What's your calling in life, besides being an idiot?

No degree. Working for the same company I hired in at when I was 18. Now the GM at 26 (youngest in company history).

Thanks. Like I care what you think.

DarkReign
06-27-2006, 07:48 AM
DarkReign is getting owned.

I would certainly hope your standard of pwnage would be higher than this, ES.

Ya Vez
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
gee.. you mean the left has it all together... there are no wack jobs on the other side of the aisle.... sheeeeesh...

DarkReign
06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
gee.. you mean the left has it all together... there are no wack jobs on the other side of the aisle.... sheeeeesh...

What took some members thousands of posts to figure out, you sir have done in 8.

You win the honorary Spurstalk award for Smartest Man Alive.

pussyface
06-27-2006, 01:19 PM

???

Did anyone make that claim?

Just pointing out that this is the type of crazy that put g dubs in the white house.

The left has a different brand of wackos. religious fundamentalists are uniquely frightening/are responsable for a huge amount of global conflict presently/historically.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Just pointing out that this is the type of crazy that put g dubs in the white house.

"Pointing out" implies that you have some kind of imperical data to show that lunatics such as this woman (a) vote at all, (b) voted for Bush, and/or (c) exist in a large enough number to have any influence on a national election.

All you've done is shown a religious wacko and made the inference that because she is religious, and the religious tend to vote Republican, that she and her kind must have voted Republican. And because a Republican won the Presidency, there must be hundreds of thousands of people just like this person.

Your argument has more stretches than an Olympic gymnast.

Real Theocrats are a lot less obvious in their beliefs, and if you think they're all running around screaming about demons and posession, then you're missing the mark.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
OMG Pro-Abortionists are Scary!!1!

http://www.cnn.com/US/9801/29/bombing.update/index.html

See, this is why abortion is still legal, because of people like this.

[/alternate universe pussyface]

pussyface
06-27-2006, 02:00 PM
you are the most easily offended person on the planet.
you are an apologist for religious extremists.
religious fundamentalists are responsable for a huge amount of global conflict presently/historically (from the Crusades to the "War on Terror" for instance.)

I am not claiming that this clip prooves anything about Bush. This woman does however meet the profile of a certain kind of Bush voter to a tee.

I did make the claim that she is not alone in American life. I do believe that a relatively large percentage of the American population can be described as religious fundamentalists.

We live in a day and age when Pat Robertson is among the most powerful figures in the political landscape; he controls a huge block of votes (people like this woman) who have proven that they have the power to swing elections. This voting block is WIDELY RECOGNIZED as the best organized and largest in America today.

She is typical of the type of person who has little else going on in their lives, so they have plenty of time to dedicate to things like organizing for political causes.

Stop crying you fucking baby.

The overarching important truth that you overlook is that religious fundamentalism is fundamentally dangerous and has probably been the single greatest scourge on human progress throughout history. It is a theme that has been repeated ad naseum.

Mr. Body
06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Bush lovers are absolutely crazy. This isn't a small percentage. Full of hypocricy - this insane woman was making a huge show about her faith, then turning around and accepting money from the show. Meanwhile, setting an awful example for her children and scaring the crap out of them.

Like tons of people I know. And by far on one side of the political and religious spectrum. 'Conservative' and 'Christian'. God save the rest of us Americans who believe in tolerance, understanding, and not being hypocritical in our dealings with others.

Crookshanks
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I have been a born-again christian for 40 years, all of my closest friends are conservative, born-again christians. I have lived in many parts of the country and attended lots of churches and I don't know and have NEVER met ANYONE like this woman in the video! She is NOT representative of born-again conservative christians!

It's people like Pussyface and Mr. Body who are the real intolerant hypocrites.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
:lmao

I'M being sensitive? I'M crying? I calmly refute your point, add a touch of sarcastic humor, and you throw a boutons fit.

People who watch Pat Robertson aren't like this woman. Pat Robertson is a douchebag, but you're going after the wrong crowd if you're pointing at the likes of her.

You just need to get out and meet some people. You'll find that there are many varying levels of "fundamentalism."

And remember, Jesus loves you.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Like tons of people I know.

Perhaps you should move out of the Branch Davidian Apartments.

pussyface
06-27-2006, 03:00 PM
The overarching important truth that you overlook is that religious fundamentalism is fundamentally dangerous and has probably been the single greatest scourge on human progress throughout history. It is a theme that has been repeated ad naseum (Crusades, Inquisitions, "War on Terror," terrorism, etc.)

Care to address this?

pussyface
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
You can talk about degrees all you want, but religious fundamentalists are similarly equiped with a worldview that their specific religious tradition (almost always the one they were born into) is "correct" and that practitioners of all other faiths must convert or face eternal damnation.

this sort of belief inevitably creates conflict. i dont have a lot of respect for this belief on a personal level.

there is lots of great classical and modern philosophy on the dangers of fundamentalism. a lot of our greatest minds (from aristotle to kant) have written on the matter with illuminating eloquence.

Nbadan
06-27-2006, 03:07 PM
This post could just a easily have gone in the Warren Buffet thread, but it's relevance to this thread was overwhelming...

Warren Buffett Gives until it Hurts: Hurts Women, Hurts the Developing World and Kills Preborn Children

“Warren Buffett’s philanthropy aims at killing pre-born children not curing childhood disease, eliminating the poor not poverty, destroying the developing world not aiding in development,” states prominent Roman Catholic Priest.

Contact: Jason Jones, Media Director for Human Life International, 540-551-0217, [email protected]

FRONT ROYAL, Va, June 27 /Christian Newswire/ -- The Rev. Thomas J. Euteneuer, President of Human Life International responds to Warren Buffett’s announcement to donate billions of dollars to the pro-abortion Gates Foundation.

“Warren Buffett’s money has gone to fund the deadly abortion causing drug RU- 486, the production and distribution of portable suction abortion devices in the developing world, organizations that push abortion on developing countries, and among many other radical organizations Buffett’s foundation gave a grant to the Center for Reproductive Rights, an organization that fought bans on partial-birth abortion…

“Warren Buffett, who is not a Roman Catholic, has also donated money to the Anti-Catholic organization Catholics for a free Choice a group that seeks to undermine the Catholic Church’s teachings on the sanctity of human life.

“Warren Buffett’s philanthropy aims at killing pre-born children not curing childhood disease, eliminating the poor not poverty, and destroying the developing world not aiding development.

“The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have also given millions of dollars to organizations pushing abortion around the world. The merger of Gates and Buffett may spell doom for the families of the developing world.

“Warren Buffett will be known as the Dr. Mengele of philanthropy unless he repents and ceases using tax deductible donations to promote a culture of death and desolation…,” concluded the Rev. Thomas J. Euteneuer.

Founded in 1981, Human Life International is the world’s largest pro-life, pro-family organization that is dedicated to defending life, faith and the family, with branches and affiliates around the world.

EarnedMedia (http://www.earnedmedia.org/hli0627.htm)

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Care to address this?

Not really. I'm not arguing that many of the world's conflicts stem from religious incompatability. All I've argued with is your assertion that fundamentalists look like Fox Reality Show characters.

If you'd like more opinions, including mine, on subjects like fundamentalism and government/world affairs, you should check one of the many better-executed threads on the topic. This was a swing and a miss for you.

But keep trying.

Ya Vez
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
will they ever listen to Obama...

WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack Obama chastised fellow Democrats on Wednesday for failing to "acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of the American people," and said the party must compete for the support of evangelicals and other churchgoing Americans.

"Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation. Context matters," the Illinois Democrat said in remarks prepared for delivery to a conference of Call to Renewal, a faith-based movement to overcome poverty.

"It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase `under God,'" he said. "Having voluntary student prayer groups using school property to meet should not be a threat, any more than its use by the High School Republicans should threaten Democrats."

Obama, the only black in the Senate, drew national notice even before arriving in Congress last year, and has occasionally used his visibility to scold members of his own party. Widely sought as a fundraiser for other Democrats, Obama responded with a noncommittal laugh this spring when asked whether he wants a spot on the national ticket in 2008.

Crookshanks
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
Obama was supposed to be a rising star in the Democrat party; but if he continues to talk like that, he'll be marginalized and shut out by the likes of Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi and others of their ilk.

xrayzebra
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
Obama was supposed to be a rising star in the Democrat party; but if he continues to talk like that, he'll be marginalized and shut out by the likes of Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi and others of their ilk.

Don't be to sure. They have their little plan to try to win back some
support from the Christians. They wont mean it, but heck, they tell
anyone anything to get a vote. Then look down their noses at them
like they do the blacks and Hispanics they always are going to help.
And many in the minority groups keep on believing them and voting
for them and asking when are you going to help.

Ya Vez
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
crookshanks.. yes they used to be such a tolerant bunch.. now it's like the new leftist intelligensia has hijacked the moderates...

Phenomanul
06-28-2006, 09:58 AM
BTW there are fanatics on the other side too... i.e. blind hate Barry Lynn

Shutting Down a Program that Works

Note: This commentary was delivered by Prison Fellowship President Mark Earley.

Just six days after a federal judge in Iowa declared an effective, faith-based program for prisoners unconstitutional, a private commission of leading criminal justice experts released a report detailing the sad state of America’s prisons.

The Commission on Safety and Abuse in America’s Prisons observed that “what happens inside jails and prisons does not stay [there]. It comes home with prisoners.” To combat violence inside the prisons, the Commission says, we need effective programming because “[h]ighly structured programs are proven to reduce misconduct in correctional facilities and to lower recidivism rates after release.”

So why in heaven’s name would a federal judge shut down a highly structured program for prisoners that has been proven to lower recidivism? Why? Because that program, the InnerChange Freedom Initiative, or IFI, a program launched by Prison Fellowship ten years ago, is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

You’ve heard me talk about IFI on “BreakPoint” in the past couple of weeks, how prisoners volunteer to participate, how they take educational classes and perform community service. I’ve also told you how independent studies have found that IFI drastically reduces recidivism rates.

None of that mattered to the federal judge, who ruled against Iowa, Prison Fellowship, and IFI in a lawsuit brought by none other than Barry Lynn and Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Instead, the judge decided that IFI “coerced” prisoners into enrolling essentially because it offered them a quality program and the tools they need to succeed on the outside. As if drug treatment, job preparation, and general education are some kind of bait to lure unsuspecting prisoners into an evangelical Christian program where they could be converted!

But every single prisoner who testified at the trial admitted that he was not coerced into enrolling in the program. Nor are they coerced into staying in it or converting to Christianity.

To add injury to insult, the judge also ordered Prison Fellowship and IFI to repay Iowa $1.5 million—funds the state paid to IFI pursuant to a valid contract to perform needed services such as education and drug treatment.

Prison Fellowship and IFI will appeal the judge’s ruling, and we certainly hope to be vindicated. And I should mention that the program will stay open during the appeals process.

But make no mistake—the judge’s extreme and punitive ruling sends a clear message to any faith-based organization or church that provides needed social services: “Go away. Go away, even if your program is working and inmates are volunteering and asking for the services.” That’s the worst message any government could possibly send, especially as we look at our prison system and its 2.3 million inhabitants in need of transformation.

The Commission on Safety and Abuse in America’s Prisons concludes by saying, “We all bear responsibility for creating correctional institutions that are safe, humane, and productive. This is the moment to confront confinement in the United States.”

Well, then it is certainly not the moment to exclude programs—faith-based or not—that offer “safe, humane, and productive” solutions.

zeleni
06-28-2006, 02:25 PM
hegamboa, aren't you talking about a constitutional question?

If the Christian program is the only quality program available, then normal prisons are not a place to punish, than more of a place to enroll prisoners, or, as the article calls them 2,3 million inhabitants. If a state of federal goverment forces a prisoner make a call to be a Christian, to be an agnostic, to live a quality life or just to be a passive prisoner for the remainder of the sentence, than there is no seperation of church and state.
All of the prisoners, when being parolled or completely released, have their lifes entirely in their hands. Government on the other hand, cannot endorse morality on their prisoners, if they do not except it freewillingly (that means not being in jail). Religion cannot be enforced by government, and that is just pure reason, ain't it? Offcourse only if you support the notion of separation of church and state. But that is not something fanatical...it IS in your constitution, you figured it out second only to much hated French.

It just seems you will soon have an European style prisons, while we are becoming more American in trades.

Phenomanul
06-28-2006, 04:37 PM
hegamboa, aren't you talking about a constitutional question?

If the Christian program is the only quality program available, then normal prisons are not a place to punish, than more of a place to enroll prisoners, or, as the article calls them 2,3 million inhabitants. If a state of federal goverment forces a prisoner make a call to be a Christian, to be an agnostic, to live a quality life or just to be a passive prisoner for the remainder of the sentence, than there is no seperation of church and state.
All of the prisoners, when being parolled or completely released, have their lifes entirely in their hands. Government on the other hand, cannot endorse morality on their prisoners, if they do not except it freewillingly (that means not being in jail). Religion cannot be enforced by government, and that is just pure reason, ain't it? Offcourse only if you support the notion of separation of church and state. But that is not something fanatical...it IS in your constitution, you figured it out second only to much hated French.

It just seems you will soon have an European style prisons, while we are
becoming more American in trades.

These programs are only partially funded by the government... and that portion of the funding goes strictly to meeting secular needs... nothing doctrinal.

Most of the funding comes from donations. Irregardless, if a program works why shoot yourself in the foot by removing it???

zeleni
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
These programs are only partially funded by the government... and those funds go strictly to meeting secular needs...

Most of the funding comes from donations. Irregardless, if a program works why shoot yourself in the foot by removing it???

Couse then you have partialy privatized/financed rehabilitation for people who choose to rehabilitate by the best program offered. People who go to jail are being filtered by who has no hope and is passive and people who aggresively want to be better and are financed to be religious.

Lets skip the fact that this is Christian project (to be objective). What if similar project would be crafted by Charles Manson type of religion? And perhaps even better question, how could be know that that kind of a guy is not in jail in this Christian, partly privatly founded programme?

If this programme is better just becouse of the additional money, then program is not equal to other programs and motivates inmates to "go Christian". That is not constitutional.

Why stop a program that works? Well I wouldn't stop the program, I would stop the crime. I would be a superhero... ;) To make political changes, you must look in the mirror. You have more people in jail that Slovenia has people. USA should do something like Great Britain did when they found Australia. Repopulate Iraq. Now that is reform!

Seriously, you just cannot say that someone respecting a constitution should be called fanatic. That's all that I'm saying.

pussyface
06-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Irregardless
hegam:
no offense but this word is a dead give away of someone overstepping their intellectual bounds to try and sound intelligent. let me explain.

there is no such word in the English language as "irregardless." the word "regardless" already means "without regard to/for." modifying it with the "ir" prefix renders the word senseless. People who use it inevitably lose credibility, as it is nonsensical word that you will never find in any dictionary etc.

jochhejaam
06-28-2006, 07:29 PM
hegam:
no offense but this word is a dead give away of someone overstepping their intellectual bounds to try and sound intelligent. let me explain.

there is no such word in the English language as "irregardless." the word "regardless" already means "without regard to/for." modifying it with the "ir" prefix renders the word senseless. People who use it inevitably lose credibility, as it is nonsensical word that you will never find in any dictionary etc.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:
Fourth Edition. 2000.

irregardless

SYLLABICATION: ir·re·gard·less

PRONUNCIATION: r-gärdls

ADVERB: Nonstandard Regardless.

ETYMOLOGY: Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.

USAGE NOTE: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir– prefix and –less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/84/I0238400.html

http://daverattigan.typepad.com/the_grace_pages/images/doh.gif

Ocotillo
06-28-2006, 08:10 PM
will they ever listen to Obama...

WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack Obama chastised fellow Democrats on Wednesday for failing to "acknowledge the power of faith in the lives of the American people," and said the party must compete for the support of evangelicals and other churchgoing Americans.

"Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation. Context matters," the Illinois Democrat said in remarks prepared for delivery to a conference of Call to Renewal, a faith-based movement to overcome poverty.

"It is doubtful that children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance feel oppressed or brainwashed as a consequence of muttering the phrase `under God,'" he said. "Having voluntary student prayer groups using school property to meet should not be a threat, any more than its use by the High School Republicans should threaten Democrats."

Obama, the only black in the Senate, drew national notice even before arriving in Congress last year, and has occasionally used his visibility to scold members of his own party. Widely sought as a fundraiser for other Democrats, Obama responded with a noncommittal laugh this spring when asked whether he wants a spot on the national ticket in 2008.

This is not unusual for a Democrat. Carter, Clinton and Gore were all born again Christians and were not out there fighting to get God out of the Pledge, etc.... That is a right wing talking point, they frame Dems as being anti-Christian to score political points with organized conservative Christians.

I myself have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Saviour and yet tend to be somewhat left of center in American politics.

There are nutjobs on both sides of the aisle and there are nutjobs in various religions. Think of the snake handlers in Appalachia or the nuts that harass the funerals of fallen soldiers.

My challenge is when having fellowship with Christian brothers and sisters is to remind them of the teachings of Christ and His focus on helping the poor and spreading the Gospel. I believe many Christians do follow leaders (pastors, televangelists, etc....) and vote how they are told. I think liberal Christians need to do a better job of communicating all Christian values as they apply to politics.

Finally, many of those on the liberal side are rabidly anti-religion to the point that they become obnoxious to believers and probably alienate people who might normally be sympathetic to their views. My advice is exercise respect and tolerance to others views on faith.

Phenomanul
06-28-2006, 08:45 PM
Couse then you have partialy privatized/financed rehabilitation for people who choose to rehabilitate by the best program offered. People who go to jail are being filtered by who has no hope and is passive and people who aggresively want to be better and are financed to be religious.

Lets skip the fact that this is Christian project (to be objective). What if similar project would be crafted by Charles Manson type of religion? And perhaps even better question, how could be know that that kind of a guy is not in jail in this Christian, partly privatly founded programme?

If this programme is better just becouse of the additional money, then program is not equal to other programs and motivates inmates to "go Christian". That is not constitutional.

Why stop a program that works? Well I wouldn't stop the program, I would stop the crime. I would be a superhero... ;) To make political changes, you must look in the mirror. You have more people in jail that Slovenia has people. USA should do something like Great Britain did when they found Australia. Repopulate Iraq. Now that is reform!

Seriously, you just cannot say that someone respecting a constitution should be called fanatic. That's all that I'm saying.

It is when that person goes out of their way to travel to States where they don't even reside (or vote) just to shut programs such as these down...

pussyface
06-28-2006, 08:49 PM
sorry...its in a dictionary as a "nonstandard blunder" and for being noted as an often improperly used word.

thanks for clearing that up amigo.

Phenomanul
06-28-2006, 08:56 PM
hegam:

You're going to lecture me on grammar.... :lol :lol

This coming from the guy who begins his sentences without capital letters and neglects the use of colons... No offense pf, but I really don't care what impression my 'chat' talk may leave behind with reference to my 'credibility'. I've got nothing to hide, to lose or to gain by trying to write like an English professor when clearly I'm not.... Besides, English is my 2nd language.

I take it your futile attempt to discredit my beliefs by trying to belittle my credibility speaks more about you than about me. Better luck next time. :wakeup

pussyface
06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
You're going to lecture me on grammar.... :lol :lol

This coming from the guy who begins his sentences without capital letters and neglects the use of colons...

look man.... i just get sick of people saying "irregardless" because its an idiotic word that people say when they really mean "regardless."

nothing against you

Phenomanul
06-28-2006, 09:03 PM
look man.... i just get sick of people saying "irregardless" because its an idiotic word that people say when they really mean "regardless."

nothing against you

Understood...

xrayzebra
06-28-2006, 09:06 PM
You know actually the Liberals are really frightening. They worship Mother Earth and
Trees. You know in the olden days they would be call Druids. Look at what they
have done to humanity.

They have put more people into slavery, while liberating them. Caused more pain than
the average bear. But they love everyone, except NECONS.

pussyface
06-28-2006, 09:11 PM
priceless analysis by xray. fucking awesome, invoking druids and all that. its funny on levels that he dont even realize.

anyway, whether or not liberals are crazy or dangerous or whatever is not up for discussion here. i am not an apologist for all things liberal or something like you want me to be or like how you are with the conservative team.

xrayzebra
06-28-2006, 09:17 PM
priceless analysis by xray. fucking awesome, invoking druids and all that. its funny on levels that he dont even realize.

anyway, whether or not liberals are crazy or dangerous or whatever is not up for discussion here. i am not an apologist for all things liberal or something like you want me to be or like how you are with the conservative team.

Oh, I know you are an apologist for anything or anyone. You fail to take
a stand on much of anything. Well except, I keep an open mind and will look
at all sides of any issue. Except you don't. you don't do much of anything.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-28-2006, 09:17 PM

:lmao @ pussyface correcting Hegamboa while making mistakes like this :lmao

pussyface
06-28-2006, 09:18 PM
xray: although this is not the thread for debating the merits of liberalism, it is the appropraite place to argue that religious fanatics are not frightening. I encourage you to do so if thats how you feel.

Maybe you can wow us with something about how religious fanatics are not frightening, as long as they are Christian?

xrayzebra
06-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey you are the ones who keep bringing up how bad the religious folks are. Just
keep things in perspective. No one is allowed to be fanatics except Christians. Have
I got it right?

Now I am going to take care of some other stuff, will be back tomorrow. Sleep
well and enjoy your own thoughts.

pussyface
06-28-2006, 09:22 PM
xray: not standing for any one political party is not the same as not standing for anything.

I hold a unique mixture of "left" and "right" positions; as I have told you before, I believe in very limited government, a rule of law based on allowing consenting adults to make whatever choices they wish so long as they do not infrindge on others, etc.

You equate taking principaled, nonpartisan stands with taking no stands at all (?).

pussyface
06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
"Now I am going to take care of some other stuff, will be back tomorrow. Sleep
well and enjoy your own thoughts." XRAY

...since you wont be reading this till tomorrow as you go to bed at the same time as my 9 year old son:

Good morning XRAY! Mornin' sunshine! I just wanted to thank you for being an invaluable contributer to the SPURSTALK Political Forum. As someone who holds many conservative principals close to heart, I want to thank you for making the forum more enjoyable for everyone by being the stereotypical, uninformed, "that dumb conservative" guy.

Without your postings, most threads would grow stale instantly with rational, fair-minded debate. You keep us all consintently amused and are the worst ambassador for conservatism since Elizabeth Hasslebeck was named cohost of "The View."

If you were on TV talking politics, conservatives would complain (and rightfully so) that it was proof that "liberals" behind-the-scenes stacked the deck by only putting on the air conservatives who are clearly not intelligent.

Enjoy your eggs!

zeleni
06-28-2006, 10:53 PM
It is when that person goes out of their way to travel to States where they don't even reside (or vote) just to shut programs such as these down...

Hey, maybe you are right. That is passionate. But is not quite the same as screaming at your family: "I am a warrior of God!" She was just an activist who rightfully said this program should be shut down.

That is not that frightful.

I would be scared is she was like Clooney, who said that president of the NRA deserves any insult shouted at him. That is fanatical, but he is artistic or whatever.

Phenomanul
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Hey, maybe you are right. That is passionate. But is not quite the same as screaming at your family: "I am a warrior of God!" She was just an activist who rightfully said this program should be shut down.

That is not that frightful.

I would be scared is she was like Clooney, who said that president of the NRA deserves any insult shouted at him. That is fanatical, but he is artistic or whatever.

So rather than make a positive difference in peoples' lives... we should get rid of programs that are proven to lower recidivism rates and hence America's crime rate, because the methods used don't conform with everyones beliefs. Pure gold. (This is not against you Zeleni - I'm speaking with regards to the Barry Lynns of this world)

Those people don't really care about the issue at hand, and frankly I don't know if they ever have. They just want to push their anti-faith-based agendas with complete disregard for the true beneficiaries of these programs... Did it ever occur to them to develop 'secular' programs of their own? Ohh, wait a second.... they have tried and failed... and that doesn't mean that said programs don't work... they're simply not as effective.

That's what irritating about the whole picture. That these people would rather live in a world with higher crime rates than live in a world with more 'Christians' -- so much for their hypocritical battlecry of 'tolerance'...

zeleni
06-29-2006, 08:57 AM
That's what irritating about the whole picture. That these people would rather live in a world with higher crime rates than live in a world with more 'Christians' -- so much for their hypocritical battlecry of 'tolerance'...

Now this is hypocritical. Criminal politics and Prison system is payed by taxes. Elected officials and government have responsibility, while none of the outside activists have that responsibility and shouldn't have that responsibility. Their actions meet only the law requirements.

I think the separation of Church and State is not a belief. It is fundamental cornerstone for checks and balances USA is so famous for. Anytime any church has support from the government, whole party system collapses. Religion is not a political movement and so shouldn't be a political factor that it could be if a government could also finance a religion by increasing membership of any religion.

I'm not good in English, so I'm sorry for all the mistakes.

Phenomanul
06-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Now this is hypocritical. Criminal politics and Prison system is payed by taxes. Elected officials and government have responsibility, while none of the outside activists have that responsibility and shouldn't have that responsibility. Their actions meet only the law requirements.

I think the separation of Church and State is not a belief. It is fundamental cornerstone for checks and balances USA is so famous for. Anytime any church has support from the government, whole party system collapses. Religion is not a political movement and so shouldn't be a political factor that it could be if a government could also finance a religion by increasing membership of any religion.

I understand that and agree that the Government is and should always be a separate entity from the 'Church'... the problem is that the government never truly has enough resources to take care of all its problems... And so the misconception, with regards to the prison system, is that the government is paying the 'church' to do it... but the dilemma is not as black and white as that statement.

The 'church' participates, because the basic tenets of the church dictate that we should help our brothers; that we should help the poor, the downtrodden, and the forsaken... That's how that particular ministry came into being... An ex-prison convict turned-Christian saw a big need and headed a movement to help convicts change their outlook on life by encouraging their faith, by capacitating them with job skills, and simply by providing the necessary support and the feeling that 'others' do care... That change in outlook is what helps many of them from turning back to the old habits that got them there in the first place. It's not 100% effective, but it's more effective (and cost effective) than the next program out there...

But returning to the issue, that particular program has enough private donations of its own to function independently and in fact doesn't rely on governmental subsidies to be effective. The government has chosen to particpate on account of the success that the program was having and has allowed for the virtues of the program to impact even more prisoners - should the prisoners themselves choose to enroll, of course. But Barry Lynn and the such can't tolerate it. They have set out to abolish all instances of Church-State relationships without regard for the people that said programs help. They honestly don't care about them.

The State exists to serve the people with 'fair, balanced and responsible' rule... The government is held accountable to that responsibilty by the results that they produce. The Barry Lynns of the world only exist to serve themselves, and unfortunately their facade fools many people in believing that they operate under the 'ideals of democracy'... they themselves don't even realize that democracy and the freedoms in this country were earned and instated by faithful Christian stewards (the founding fathers of this nation) who ironically are more similar to the people they have chosen to hate (on account of their faith), than to themselves.

Your English is fine.

DarkReign
06-29-2006, 10:53 AM

Whatever mistakes you made had nothing to do with your English. Well said.

zeleni
06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
I understand that and agree that the Government is and should always be a separate entity from the 'Church'... the problem is that the government never truly has enough resources to take care of all its problems... And so the misconception, with regards to the prison system, is that the government is paying the 'church' to do it... but the dilemma is not as black and white as that statement.

The 'church' participates, because the basic tenets of the church dictate that we should help our brothers; that we should help the poor, the downtrodden, and the forsaken... That's how that particular ministry came into being... An ex-prison convict turned-Christian saw a big need and headed a movement to help convicts change their outlook on life by encouraging their faith, by capacitating them with job skills, simply by providing support and the feeling that 'others' do care... That change in outlook is what helps many of them from turning back to the old habits that got them there in the first place. It's not 100% effective, but it's more effective (and cost effective) than the next program out there...

But returning to the issue, that particular program has enough private donations of its own to function independently and in fact doesn't rely on governmental subsidies to be effective. The government has chosen to particpate on account of the success that the program was having and has allowed for the virtues of the program to impact even more prisoners - should the prisoners themselves choose to enroll, of course. But Barry Lynn and the such can't tolerate it. They have set out to abolish all instances of Church-State relationships without regard for the people that said programs help. They honestly don't care about them.

The State exists to serve the people with 'fair, balanced and responsible' rule... The government is held accountable to that responsibilty by the results that they produce. The Barry Lynns of the world only exist to serve themselves, and unfortunately their facade fools many people in believing that they operate under the 'ideals of democracy'... they themselves don't even realize that democracy and the freedoms in this country were earned and instated by faithful Christian stewards (the founding fathers of this nation) who ironically are more similar to the people they have chosen to hate (on account of their faith), than to themselves.

Your English is fine.

I agree with you. Well, except in the story about big and small government..which is the main point of this whole discussion.

Small government should finance the most important pieces of the state nurture. That is mostly Police, Justice, Prisons, quality rehabilitation and Health. Prisons are on the top list, since the bad guys are in there. Government should allways have enough money for prisons.

Big Government should finance social needs and all thing the small government does.

If judiciary says something is wrong on a constitutional base, something was really wrong. That seems to be truly the problem...since no one says that is a simptom of your Zeitgeist.

All I want to say that Christmas is not under attack, religion is not being prosecuted (mostly is being mocked) and all is well in your USA. No person should be judged by her/his claim, if the claim is fair and legally building your nation. Afterall, you could still say that nobody of Gideon wanted that lawyers rule the USA. Nonetheless, that case made Gideon a pretty important guy who solved his problem. And that is possible only in USA.

So the question is pretty much: Do you want to be religiously or constitutionaly proud? And that is hell of a question since proud is a sin... ;)

And yes, I agree, that lady was just an activist with an agenda. She didn't care about the people, she wanted just to make a point. She couldn't care less about those 1000-or-so inmates who could go thru the programme.