PDA

View Full Version : Trading packages

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
The Spurs have the assets to work with to put together some decent trades together this summer.

1. Brent Barry and Beno Udrih - though lukewarm to underwhelming to Spurs fans, this tandem offers a team a veteran shooter with a solid handle and some name ID. Udrih has plenty of potential, can score and distribute the rock very well. If he gets to show his stuff with 20 to 25 minutes a night he can be a 10/6 guy very easily. Barry's deal had 2 years left and is manageable at $5 mil per. Udrih's price is guaranteed to be rather low for the next few seasons. All in all, this isn't a bad package to be putting on the trade block.

2. Eric Williams and Luis Scola - this tandem offers a potential acquirer the opportunity to shed themselves of a substantial long-term contract plus pick up a frontcourt scorer with some game. My guess is that Scola ends up being a 13 point, 6 rebound a night kind of guy in the league.

3. Nazr Mohammed and Beno Udrih - a team could address their center and point guard spots well with this duo. Not spectacular, but when you take a look at what's available in the league, this isn't a bad offering.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 09:57 PM
4. Nazr Mohammed, Beno Udrih, and Luis Scola - if the Spurs wanted to, they could put together a fairly substantial package to go after a top-flight player. There's also Barry and Eric Williams if they needed to add another $4 to 5 mil to the trade. Rashard Lewis and Paul Pierce are two names that come to mind who've been rumored to be available.

Dalamar_the_Dark
06-25-2006, 10:15 PM
4. Nazr Mohammed, Beno Udrih, and Luis Scola - if the Spurs wanted to, they could put together a fairly substantial package to go after a top-flight player. There's also Barry and Eric Williams if they needed to add another $4 to 5 mil to the trade. Rashard Lewis and Paul Pierce are two names that come to mind who've been rumored to be available.

Please no Rashard Lewis or Paul Pierce. They are overpriced and are not worth it. They need the ball to be effective. We need players who dont need to see a lot of the ball to be effective.

Mr. Body
06-25-2006, 10:17 PM
The Spurs don't need a star player making lots of money. They need very good role players to base around their big three.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Please no Rashard Lewis or Paul Pierce. They are overpriced and are not worth it.

Both of their deals have two years left and would conveniently expire when the draft class of '04 see their rookie deals end plus those in the '03 class who accepted the QO would be available as well.

I wouldn't mind Rashard Lewis on this team. I guess I'm not looking for the cloud between the silver lining.

Mr. Body
06-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Rashard Lewis is going to pull Shawn Marion from Phoenix. Do you think the Spurs have something to compete with that?

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Depends on what the Sonics are looking for. If they don't want Lewis is Marion all that different?

Mr. Body
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes.

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Similiar games and profiles for the most part. Both of their deals are up in '08. Marion's on a max contract. Maybe Seattle isn't feeling taking on a max deal. Besides, aren't the Sonics' books hurting?

texasqb2
06-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I'd give up almost anything outside of manu/tony/tim to get rashard lewis, he's exactly what we're looking for outside of shawn marion that is, but no way does phoenix deal with us.

loveforthegame
I was wondering if the Suns would bite on a Williams for Jones/Tskitishvili deal?

It would depend on whether the Marion/Lewis deal went through and whether they resigned Tim Thomas (both sides want that). Jones would be lost behind Lewis/Thomas while Tskitishvili doesn't seem to be in the plans at all.

I know the Spurs don't really have a need for Tskitishvili but maybe they can get a small trade exception for him. Jones would give us the 3 we've been looking for.

I don't see why they'd help the Spurs but they'd be helping the Sonics a hell of a lot more.

Quadzilla99
Please no Rashard Lewis or Paul Pierce. They are overpriced and are not worth it. They need the ball to be effective. We need players who dont need to see a lot of the ball to be effective.
Get league Pass. I wasn't a big Paul Pierce fan but the second half of the year he was utterly brilliant, and he's one of the best shooters in the league. How could he and Tim not play well together he'd get so many open jumpers and he is a great passer. Also Rashard Lewis is not a player who needs the ball to be effective at all. Pipe dreams though that we'd get either of them.

Bruno
06-26-2006, 04:27 AM
I don't like thinking in term of package because most of the times the opposite team doesn't need all the pieces of the package.

I rather think in terms of assets :

Assets with some value :
Nazr, Barry, Udrih, Scola, future first round pick.

Assets with little value :
Oberto, future second round picks, 2009 hornets second round pick, Karaulov.

I don't include Mahinmi because I think that Spurs are high on him and Sanikidze because of his injury.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2006, 05:17 AM
I think people vastly over estimate how likely a sign and trade with Nazr is. These type of trades happen usually in situations where the signing team can't offer as much as they former team and the FA has some sort of leverage.

What sort of leverage does Nazr have? His most likely destiations are under the cap and have no need for a sign and trade. He's not going to come close to commanding a max deal by any stretch of the imagination so its not like he needs a S&T to make more money.

The only situation I can see this working is if a team wants to sign him but wants to unload contracts at the same time. But I see that as very unlikely.

I think Scola can be moved. And I think Scola might be able to be moved to a team like NO/OKC perhaps for their middle 1st round pick. And if Carney is seriously close to falling to their 15th pick, I think that is a move the Spurs would be insanely lucky to be able to pull off. Carney is the athletic 3 they need to replalce Bowen.

Otherwise I don't see much happening untill after Wednesday. Should be a crazy draft night.