PDA

View Full Version : Strategy: Trading versus Free Agency

SPARKY
06-25-2006, 11:54 PM
With the Spurs shedding the contracts of Rose and Nesterovic the Spurs have set themselves up to have a substantial amount of cap room in the summer of 2008 if they so choose. We saw what happened the last time they targeted a year to go after free agents with a significant war chest. In fact, they just ridded themselves of that with a deft trade. It would seem to be in the Spurs' best interest to find trades that bring them back young talent that they can develop and persuade to stay in SA, either through an affinity for the organization and the city or through the favorable terms of the current CBA. But, the siren call of no one under contract save for TD, TP, and Manu past 2008 must be strong. Hopefully they don't answer.

ChumpDumper
06-26-2006, 12:03 AM
All they did with those trades was set themselves up for the Barry/Hedo trade.

:pctoss

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 12:12 AM
Well, that was a result of not being able to bring back Jack.

baseline bum
06-26-2006, 12:14 AM
That's two years of Duncan's prime. Fuck wasting that in the name of making a signing. The Spurs now have great cap flexibility to absorb another long-term deal. As it stands they're about $50,000,000 or so committed in 2007-08. They'll almost certainly pay a few million in luxury tax this season, but they can definitely avoid it for a while after while still having good talent around our big 3.

To me holding out for that magic signing is stupid. Great players make the situations around them great, and a guy who's done that usually doesn't want to leave something he built up no matter how good the calling team is. I think the only reason Shaq ever left was because he felt unwanted by the franchise and fans in Orlando, as he's a guy who gets his feelings hurt easily. Rookie contract stars won't leave because the CBA makes it so easy for a team willing to pay to keep its own draft picks. Another thing to consider is we could be going against the Lakers, who can have huge caproom available then. There is absolutely no way the Spurs can ever compete with the Lakers in free agency if the money is equal no matter how much better our team will be than theirs'.

We already have our cornerstones of the franchise. This team doesn't need another chief; it needs more indians. The core is built. What's needed are solid players who can grab boards, hit the open shot, give good minutes running the point, play some d, etc... nothing spectacular. This core's too good to worry about rebuilding it until it's finished. I think they have another title or two in them, and I see no reason to make any drastic changes.

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Agree. They can land some nice prospects now if they are willing to take back a bad (or unappealing) contract. With the number of short term contracts they have expiring either in 2007 or 2008 they can offer a team some near term payroll reduction. With Scola and Udrih expendable they can add a nice sweetener to a deal. This is a team, after all, that was likely one bad foul away from repeating as NBA champs.

Darkwaters
06-26-2006, 12:41 AM
I think the main long-term priority right now needs to be training a new Bowen. And obviously they know that. But when Bowen finally retires, thats going to be a bigger hit that most realize.

baseline bum
06-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Agree. They can land some nice prospects now if they are willing to take back a bad (or unappealing) contract. With the number of short term contracts they have expiring either in 2007 or 2008 they can offer a team some near term payroll reduction. With Scola and Udrih expendable they can add a nice sweetener to a deal. This is a team, after all, that was likely one bad foul away from repeating as NBA champs.

This team desperately needs rebounding. They were also one amazing block from going home 1-4. The Spurs can't get comfortable with the thought that one foul kept them from the title.

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 11:16 PM
This franchise could also count on TD+TP+Manu to be enough to make them serious contenders every season and not worry so much about paying the rest of the supporting cast. I wouldn't be surprised.

SequSpur
06-26-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, but is Manu capable of playing an NBA season?

Nesterofish
06-26-2006, 11:27 PM
SPARKY thinks he is a GM. What a nerd.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I vote to ban nesterofish