PDA

View Full Version : Are they going to beat Larry Brown out of his millions???

ShackO
06-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Knicks say Brown violated MSG policy by talking (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2498477)

NEW YORK -- The Knicks contend Larry Brown broke Madison Square Garden policy with his roadside interviews, a decision the team believes could wind up saving them millions.

The Knicks fired Brown on Thursday after one season as their coach and replaced him with team president and general manager Isiah Thomas. Brown has four years and a reported $40 million left on his contract, but the Knicks say the Hall of Fame coach is not entitled to all of it because of his disregard for team policy.

Since James Dolan became owner of the Knicks and Rangers, Madison Square Garden policy specifies that any interviews must be done with a public relations official present -- with no exceptions, according to a person familiar with the policy, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because this matter has not been resolved.

After reports surfaced in May that Dolan was considering buying out Brown's contract, the Knicks made neither Brown nor Thomas available after they worked out potential draft prospects.

Reporters soon began waiting near the entrance to the Knicks' training facility in Greenburgh, N.Y. On a few occasions, Brown pulled his car over to speak, saying during one interview he felt like a "dead man walking."

Brown's agent, Joe Glass, would not address the contention that the Hall of Fame coach was violating company rules.

"I'm not going to comment on any alleged misconduct," he said Friday. "It will be taken care of in the proper format at the proper time."

Told the Knicks are citing a specific infraction, Glass said, "We will answer all of the alleged allegations at the appropriate time at the appropriate format."

Glass, in any event, expects his client to be properly taken care of.

"I'm sure he will be," he said.

The Knicks went 23-59 -- matching the franchise record for losses in a year -- despite carrying the highest payroll in the league. Brown's criticism of Stephon Marbury and other players through the media clearly rankled Dolan. Now the coaching job belongs to Thomas, the Knicks' fifth coach in the last three years.

"I'm disappointed, I love this franchise, but I didn't do what I was paid to do," Brown said in Friday's New York Post. "I didn't do the job. I wish them well and I move on.

"I had a great opportunity. ... They feel I didn't do what I came to do. I mean, I won 23 games."

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I think he should get all his money. You gotta keep him for at least another year. The Knicks are dumb.

ShackO
06-26-2006, 11:17 AM
LOL................. It is really so bad there that it is hard to comprehend............

boutons_
06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
The Knicks are using picayune shit, strict legalistic nits, to claim breach of contract.

The lawyers will be the big winners. And the Knicks have more legal $$$ than Larry does, so Larry will lose, if he fights. Before the law, bet on the bigger money.

Crookshanks
06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Why should Larry get that remaining money? Better yet, why does he feel he is ENTITLED to it?! He didn't do what he was hired to do - in fact, he put that team right down the toilet and ruined whatever chemistry they might have had. And, he got paid $10 million to do it! That's more than enough compensation for a really crappy performance.

I hope the Knicks win this one - Larry should just move on and keep it mouth shut!

Pistons < Spurs
06-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Why should Larry get that remaining money? Better yet, why does he feel he is ENTITLED to it?! He didn't do what he was hired to do - in fact, he put that team right down the toilet and ruined whatever chemistry they might have had. And, he got paid $10 million to do it! That's more than enough compensation for a really crappy performance.

I hope the Knicks win this one - Larry should just move on and keep it mouth shut!
:tu :tu

himat
06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Joe glass is trying to hustle everyone. I'm sure LB won't have a job for longer than 2 years anymore.

leemajors
06-26-2006, 01:11 PM
The Knicks are using picayune shit, strict legalistic nits, to claim breach of contract.

The lawyers will be the big winners. And the Knicks have more legal $$$ than Larry does, so Larry will lose, if he fights. Before the law, bet on the bigger money.

i think in this case, david stern is the law. i would doubt stern will let them fire him without any sort of compensation.

Extra Stout
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
i think in this case, david stern is the law. i would doubt stern will let them fire him without any sort of compensation.
A spokesman from the league office already has alluded that the greivances the Knicks are claiming against Brown are extremely minor.

Expect that the Knicks will have to pay most, if not all of the remainder of Brown's contract.

ShackO
06-26-2006, 01:54 PM
Well I am hoping a little dirty laundry is aired in court or the press..........

mike detroit
06-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Why should Larry get that remaining money?

because he had something called a contract. that's a piece of paper that grown ups sign when the agree to do certain things.

pache100
06-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I think they gotta pay Larry and both sides chalk it up to lessons learned. The Knicks were stupid enough to sign him to a multi-year contract with his history, you don't get much more stupid than that. And Larry was stupid enough to sign with a team whose general manager was frothing at the mouth to coach the team (and probably, through his micro-managing/meddling, was instrumental in Larry's failure there). I think they are nit-picking and I hope Larry gets takes a good team of lawyers to court with him and takes them for more than his salary - I'd go for some pain and suffering $! (And I have not been a Larry Brown fan for a long, long time but a contract is a contract...how can they prove he would not have fulfilled his end of the bargain had they not fired him?)

ShoogarBear
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
because he had something called a contract. that's a piece of paper that grown ups sign when the agree to do certain things.

Ordinary, I'd say you're right, but since when does Larry Brown believe in the sanctity of the contract?

resistanze
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I think they gotta pay Larry and both sides chalk it up to lessons learned. The Knicks were stupid enough to sign him to a multi-year contract with his history, you don't get much more stupid than that. And Larry was stupid enough to sign with a team whose general manager was frothing at the mouth to coach the team (and probably, through his micro-managing/meddling, was instrumental in Larry's failure there). I think they are nit-picking and I hope Larry gets takes a good team of lawyers to court with him and takes them for more than his salary - I'd go for some pain and suffering $! (And I have not been a Larry Brown fan for a long, long time but a contract is a contract...how can they prove he would not have fulfilled his end of the bargain had they not fired him?)