PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to the tower yet?

davi78239
06-26-2006, 12:43 PM
The so called newly "revamped" SA landmark. Is it really that much better for those of you who have been? I went like 3 or 4 years back and it was pretty old looking. Just wondering.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
They did a good job with the interior and the base, but I think they totally fucked up the observation deck. Instead of the bars, they now have some tinted class outside. It goes up for a few feet then them have steel rope the rest of the way up.

Well, the glass KILLS the view and its dirty as hell because people touch it all day long. I think it sucks compared to the bars they used to have. I don't like it one bit.

We'll probably go the restraunt within a week but I'm expecting typical Landrys quality. It'll probably be a bit overpriced for what you get.

dougp
06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
They did a good job with the interior and the base, but I think they totally fucked up the observation deck. Instead of the bars, they now have some tinted class outside. It goes up for a few feet then them have steel rope the rest of the way up.

Well, the glass KILLS the view and its dirty as hell because people touch it all day long. I think it sucks compared to the bars they used to have. I don't like it one bit.

We'll probably go the restraunt within a week but I'm expecting typical Landrys quality. It'll probably be a bit overpriced for what you get.
Sounds like the downtown aquarium here in Houston - place is horrible, I don't see how it gets such good reviews from people who go.

MannyIsGod
06-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Landrys has average restraunts. They aren't bad, but they are great either. I hated Rain Forrest Cafe. I expect that, but at least with a pretty cool view.

Taco
06-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I wonder if they fixed the roof it leaked when it would rain

xrayzebra
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Landrys has average restraunts. They aren't bad, but they are great either. I hated Rain Forrest Cafe. I expect that, but at least with a pretty cool view.

Manny what kind of prices did they have on the food. Or did you try it?
I suspect it will be way overpriced and not that great. But I could be
wrong.

GrandeDavid
06-26-2006, 03:16 PM
I've called San Antonio home...well, most of the time...since high school and I have yet to go up in that beotch. I really oughtta, though. Truthfully I was scared off by some horrible dining reviews of its restaurant, but my punk ass could've at least gone up to the viewing level. I'll have to remember to visit the Tower next time I'm there...if I can drum up the interest. ha ha

CubanMustGo
06-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Manny what kind of prices did they have on the food. Or did you try it?
I suspect it will be way overpriced and not that great. But I could be
wrong.

You can download a menu here (http://www.toweroftheamericas.com/restaurant.html).

Limited selection and high prices ... definitely paying for the view. Hope the food is better than when it was a glorified Jim's ...

CubanMustGo
06-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Shit, they had the prices on last week ... not there any more. They were high, like 20+/- for entrees, more for steaks.

Extra Stout
06-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Manny is right about Truman Hakuna Matata's restaurants. If the place has novelty appeal, the food will be mediocre.

There are a couple of his places that are fantastic, however. Jimmie Walker's in Kemah is top-end, but it's hidden and quite expensive.