PDA

View Full Version : If you really wanted Tyrus Thomas...

Solid D
06-26-2006, 07:57 PM
If you were the Spurs...who would you be willing to give up to Chicago in exchange for them selecting Thomas at #2 on your behalf?

Example: Scola's rights, Brent Barry and future #1

(That's probably too conservative to be acceptable to the Bulls)

Cant_Be_Faded
Barry, Beno, Scola, Finley

Mr. Body
Melvin Sanders and/or the Coyote. No, not the Coyote. That ugly guy in the 3rd row.

timvp
06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
You'd have to give up more than that I'd think. For the number two overall pick I'd anything they wanted outside of the Big Three.

I'm not sure I'd take Thomas, though.

SPARKY
Beno, Scola's rights, and Mohammed in a S&T.

Solid D
Don't think the Spurs haven't offered at least one scenario for the #2...

Solid D
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I thought of that exact scenario but I don't know if the Spurs can include Nazr as a S&T option prior to July. Can they?

SPARKY
Yeah, I thought of that exact scenario but I don't know if the Spurs can include Nazr as a S&T option prior to July. Can they?

Technically, no.

timvp

Not before July 12th.

Phil Hellmuth
06-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Why do we want a poor mans stromile swift?

say no to overrated thomas.

Solid D
06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
As some have mentioned in here (picnroll, being one) Chapu getting his running buddy, Luis, has got to be somewhat attractive to the Bulls. A deal for Scola might carry more weight with Chi-town than with other clubs.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
You'd have to give up more than that I'd think. For the number two overall pick I'd anything they wanted outside of the Big Three.

I'm not sure I'd take Thomas, though.

whw-whaat

Weren't you the one saying how he was bad ass after the elite eight?

I agree though, I'd take LAMARCUS "bryant" ALDRIDGE

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 08:09 PM
As some have mentioned in here (picnroll, being one) Chapu getting his running buddy, Luis, has got to be somewhat attractive to the Bulls. A deal for Scola might carry more weight with Chi-town than with other clubs.

The Bulls won't give the #2 for Scola. They might give the #16, but #2 is silly.

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 08:10 PM

Not to mention that a successful career in the Euroleague carries a little more weight than it used to. Keep Nocioni happy, get the center you want and add another young guard who can do a little of everything.

Solid D
06-26-2006, 08:12 PM
The Bulls won't give the #2 for Scola. They might give the #16, but #2 is silly.

Get creative. Obviously it's silly offering Scola's rights straight up for the #2. Think broader in scope.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
god damnit the spurs need aldridge

Mr. Body
06-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Get creative. Obviously it's silly offering Scola's rights straight up for the #2. Think broader in scope.

Ok, I'll quit this thread. I'm only interested in likelihoods.

Leetonidas
06-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I think LaMarcus would be avaiable at the #2 so if by some freakish happening, the Spurs would draft him or Rudy Gay.

That's odd though. We'd have a Bonner and a Gay on the team. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Aldridge is soft, but he has room for a little more muthle, plus he's like 20 fucking years old and has a wingspan of like 7 foot 4
he's mobile as fuck, and i gauruntee as a rookie he could lock down dirk even if you consider the rookie treatment

exstatic
06-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Tyrus = Stromile = Fizer

Just say no.

Solid D
06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Tyrus = Stromile = Fizer

Just say no.

I disagree.

I see him as a defensive-oriented 3-4 (long 3) wth much better quickness and instincts than either Swift or Fizer. He's quite a young talent and I think he's a game-changer.

I'll trust my instincts, no offense. Someone is going to get a talent in this kid.

Not every team would know how to use him. The Spurs could greatly benefit from a long 3 who can disrupt, block shots, and rebound.

Spurologist
06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Package in Nazr + Barry/Beno

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2006, 08:40 PM

That was going to be my suggestion.

picnroll
06-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Realistically the 2 pick would cost Manu and it's not worth it. Besides the big three the Spurs don't have a lot of premium trade pieces, maybe Mahinmi but who knows how highly teams value him.

ALVAREZ6
06-26-2006, 09:13 PM
TT will not be that good in the NBA.

No one even knew who he was until the NCAA tournament, but I loved his play. He was an animal.

But still, the dude is 6'7" and the big men are taller in the NBA than they are in college. I just don't see the dude being a Ben Wallace, and Ben Wallace has 2 inches on Tyrus Thomas.

Whoever drafts TT that early will later regret it.

exstatic
06-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I disagree.

I see him as a defensive-oriented 3-4 (long 3) wth much better quickness and instincts than either Swift or Fizer. He's quite a young talent and I think he's a game-changer.

I'll trust my instincts, no offense. Someone is going to get a talent in this kid.

Not every team would know how to use him. The Spurs could greatly benefit from a long 3 who can disrupt, block shots, and rebound.
He may be able to play the defensive three, but he has no O game for that position. His man would LIVE in Tim's lap.

SequSpur
06-26-2006, 11:02 PM
We could get rid of alot of Game 7 mistakes by trading Ginobili.

Look... the Spurs need veterans, its not time to raise youngsters...

WTF?

Solid D
06-27-2006, 01:21 AM

WTF?

:lol Cute, considering you have Tony Parker's pic as your avatar. Pop has little tolerance for youngsters, indeed.

AMOS7
06-27-2006, 03:15 AM
This draft will be full of busts with a few steals in the late first round.

Sandman52
06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
No way this year's #2 costs Manu. Maybe the Lebron-Melo draft.....maybe.

TheTruth
06-27-2006, 07:09 PM

WTF?
How about some Finals game 7 heroics?

Solid D
06-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I must admit that most teams will probably flinch when considering any trades with the Spurs...but I do think Tyrus Thomas is a real talent. He may turn out to be Jawad Williams and I'll take my lumps, but I've hit some of these kids right over the years too, (I even suggested in-Forum the day after the 2002 Draft that the Spurs try to sign Reggie Evans when he was passed over... but they didn't listen :) )

If I'm wrong on Thomas, I'll take it like a man.

baseline bum
06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
I can't believe how worthless Thomas was against the UCLA frontline in the Final Four.... although, it seemed like he singlehandedly eliminated Duke.

Cant_Be_Faded
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Trademark of a dude with springs for legs who is nowhere near ready for this league

Doug Collins
06-28-2006, 04:08 AM
I agree with all who peg Thomas as Stromile Swift redux. The yhave the same freakin game and went to the same school. You gotta like Thomas´athleticism but he cant shoot or do anything other than dunk offensively. I remember the same hype surrounding Stromile post NCAA tourney going into the draft and he still hasnt developed into anything.

venitian navigator
06-28-2006, 04:33 AM
In my opionion, Chicago is very high on Scola!
They well know It's three years he's the best PF in Europe.
They also have Nocioni in their team, he knows him well...and can really confort them about is real value!
In the next two/three years, Scola, if given playing time, is gonna probably compete better than all the other prospects of this draft...and the bulls already have too many young players to develop. They need an asset now!
They just have to choose if they want something at a very high price (ex. KG : the price, in case Minny is o.k., would be, at last, Chandler, the n° 2 choice this year and the first choice of N.Y. next year) or at a not so high price (Scola is ideal for them; we could, at least, package him with Udrih and give Chicago the chance to sign Nazr with a no-interference promise : the price, in this case, would be just their n° 2 choice; and Chicago will also remain in the next year race for Oden).
If I were Chigaco, I would do the n° 1 option...but I don't feel Minny is so prone to do it (and, in my opinion, they should be); but the n° 2 option is really not that bad for them...and, for them, the chance to have the best choice in next year's draft is very intriguing!

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 06:48 AM
Why do we want a poor mans stromile swift?

say no to overrated thomas.

The "Stro Show' was drafted #2 overall too, he rode the pine in favor of Juwan Howard. I'd trade for a vet, somebody who has proven himself in the league. So at least you have some idea what you are getting.

Solid D
06-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Jun 28, 2006 9:41am ET
Signs Point to Bulls Selecting LSU's Thomas
In the CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Brian Hanley writes that "there are those who believe NBA commissioner David Stern will have the Bulls' choice in hand for the second pick in the draft tonight as quickly as you can say, 'Tyrus Thomas.' That includes a Bulls source, who is all but assured that general manager John Paxson will select the 6-8, 217-pound forward from LSU at No. 2. Paxson agreed last week that Thomas, 19, is the most athletic player available."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull28.html

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM

Some people like to make absurdly fucking stupid statements just to get a rise out of people. Ginobili is one of the most clutch players in the game. He got us back in that game with a dominant 4th quarter just like he was the difference in us winning games 1& 2 of the Finals last year. You can't be serious with that statement nobody's that stupid.

papagrande
06-28-2006, 11:34 AM

WTF?
I have been reading the boards for quite some time. I used to kinda feel bad for this guy getting railed on. My mistake. Complete tool. This is the most ignorant thing I have ever read. Drop both hands. Grab your head. Pull it out of your butt segu.

azzkickinchicken
06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey guys - been reading this forum for a long time, but felt the need to chime in for the first time on this TT discussion.

As a slightly psychotic, obsessive LSU fan, I will say that there are some striking similarities between Thomas and Stromile. They're about the same size, both with sometimes jaw-dropping athletic abilities.

The big difference, and why I think Thomas will be a much better pro, is attitude and work ethic. Stro was clearly better athletically than 99% of the people he faced in high school and college, and never seemed to really work all that hard. He was highly recruited and treated like basketball royalty from a very early age.

Thomas is the opposite - hardly recruited, signed on at the last minute at LSU when a scholly became available. He was shorter and smaller than he is now. He was also injured his entire freshman year with a neck problem. He busted his ass at LSU to improve all facets of his game, and I don't believe that will stop in the pros.

Lastly, i think some of you are shorting him a bit on the offensive end. Everyone remembers spectacular dunks and blocked shots, but he runs the floor very well, and has a decent jumper up to about 15'. Obviously he needs to extend his range and work in the post, but can't you say that about most of these guys in the draft? All you Aldridge fans need to remember that Thomas and Davis destroyed LA in the NCAA's.

Goodluck to the Spurs in the draft tonight & Geaux Tigers! :spin

Solid D
06-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the Forum papagrande and akc.

Spurs Dynasty 21
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
I'd take Thomas or Morrison

Solid D
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Bump

Shotblocking/rebounder alongside Tim late in games wouldn't hurt about now.

Kid's got game.

smeagol
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Bump

Shotblocking/rebounder alongside Tim late in games wouldn't hurt about now.

Kid's got game.
What a shotblocking spree

SCdac
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
I def wouldn't mind Thomas being a Spur. Athletic big man who can block shots, fine by me...

If we're talking Bulls players though, I'm partial to Thabo Sefolosha. I remember hearing, pre-draft, that the Spurs were in interested in him... oh well... Can you imagine these two on the same team?? That would be siiiiick. Sefolosha would be a good guy to fill in for Manu off the bench.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/GinobiliandSefolosha07.jpg