PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce Hypothetical Trade?

Nikos
06-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Although I ackowledge it is extremely unlikely/impossible that any of these would happen......

Would you give up
1) TP and others
2) Tp and Manu

for Paul Pierce? Lets say the Spurs were later to sign Speedy or another above average PG if Tony was traded.

I won't even put Manu+Others because the Celtics would never consider that.

Would you do it? Pierce has a good all around game, can be much more valuable in the regular season than Manu and equally as good (if not better in a good year) in the playoffs as Manu 05 -- and obviously better than 2006 Manu. Pierce would also be superior to Tony if he maintained his level of play the past 4-5 years, and transferred his skills alongside Tim Duncan.

Pierce has about 2-3 awesome years left if he stays healthy. Would you take the risk and try to win titles now? Personally I feel Pierce is superior to Tony and Manu, and I feel he will be superior to Tony next season as well. And maybe in this system he could improve upon his efficiency (which would make him clearly a bit better than both of these guys). True Manu was a stud last playoffs, but his regular season contributions aren't nearly as good, and he might have been a little lucky that year.

My heart wouldn't want to see either of these guys go for anything less than a superstar (even then it would kind of hurt a bit). But if your the Spurs GM, and all feelings aside.

Would you do either of these trades?

SPARKY
06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44785

Nikos
06-26-2006, 09:42 PM
I felt this needed a seperate thread. Too much mentioning of trading draft picks and few of TP (+Manu). The question would get lost in the middle of the thread, no one would respond to it.

exstatic
06-26-2006, 10:00 PM
I felt this needed a seperate thread. Too much mentioning of trading draft picks and few of TP (+Manu). The question would get lost in the middle of the thread, no one would respond to it.
AHF syndrome.

wildbill2u
06-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Not in my wildest dreams would I consider this trade of old star for young star.

Zoe String
06-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Pierce isn't all that old. The Spurs won't get him, but he's like 28 or something.

SequSpur
06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Paul Pierce sucks.

Nikos
06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Paul Pierce sucks.

Compared to Manu tho?

Quadzilla99
06-26-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44785

Click Here^^

johngateswhiteley
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
...i am starting to doubt some of the bball IQ here. there is no way you trade manu and parker for pierce. no way in hell. you don't trade manu and parker for ANY one player. not kobe, not lebron, not wade...period. parker is almost a top 5 pg and manu is a top 7-8 sg when healthy. that cannot be replaced by one player....no matter how good he is....fuck.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't do it if it involved TP or Manu.

I'd give up ANYTHING else though, outside of Duncan obviously.

AMOS7
06-27-2006, 03:07 AM
DO THIS.

Paul Pierce is amazingly clutch and one of the top players in the game today, him with Duncan and that's a title. Especially if you can keep Parker.

Parker
Pierce
Bowen
Duncan
???

Are you telling me that isn't a championship team? Ginobili is getting old. As great as he is, you guys telling me you wouldn't trade Manu for Pierce straight up? I am a HUGE Manu fan guys, but that is a steal. Manu is a borderline all-star much like Jason Richardson and Kirilenko, but Pierce was considered (and still might be) a SUPER star.

Ginobili/Barry/Scola/???/picks? that sounds good for a player like Pierce. People who'd keep Manu over Pierce? Kind of ridiculous and I'm a huge Manu fan. That's a pretty good shipment of players Boston would get back too.

Pierce can be a top 10 NBA player every night.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2006, 07:33 AM
Compared to Manu tho?
Yes, compared to Manu.

George Gervin's Afro
06-27-2006, 07:34 AM
...i am starting to doubt some of the bball IQ here. there is no way you trade manu and parker for pierce. no way in hell. you don't trade manu and parker for ANY one player. not kobe, not lebron, not wade...period. parker is almost a top 5 pg and manu is a top 7-8 sg when healthy. that cannot be replaced by one player....no matter how good he is....fuck.

Sorry but I would trade both of these guys for Lebron..

Obstructed_View
06-27-2006, 07:38 AM
In a second. I'd throw in Beno, a first round draft pick and a ham sandwich. As an example, LeBron and Beno is better statistically than Manu and Parker.

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 07:52 AM
I'd trade both of them for D-Wade too. Wade won a title with a Shaq who averaged 15 ppg against Dallas and a bunch of average players. TD averaged 32.3 ppg on 57% fg, 12.7 rbg, and 2.67bpg versus Dallas, add that with D-Wade's 34.5 ppg and it's a sweep. Plus Wade is 24.

GrandeDavid
06-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Nikos, by chance is your last name "Testaverde"?

Nikos
06-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I'd trade both of them for D-Wade too. Wade won a title with a Shaq who averaged 15 ppg against Dallas and a bunch of average players. TD averaged 32.3 ppg on 57% fg, 12.7 rbg, and 2.67bpg versus Dallas, add that with D-Wade's 34.5 ppg and it's a sweep. Plus Wade is 24.

Why not trade Duncan for Wade?

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 08:14 AM
^^Tony and Manu are awesome. Either way we're going to be a championdship contender for 4-5 years. Wade is a stud and a big time clutch performer as is Manu. I'd go slightly for Wade he is 24 you know. Who did the Lakers have beside Shaq and Kobe? Still very little difference-Tony and Manu are awesome as is D-Wade.

Obstructed_View
06-27-2006, 08:16 AM
??

ManuTastic
06-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Paul Pierce sucks.

No, he doesn't. He's a stud.

Still, I love Manu too much to do this. I think last year was an aberration and he'll be back strong (and actually I don't blame him for the Dallas loss, I blame Pop). Tony had a GREAT year and is still getting better.

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
^^I've only been here a week but SequSpur makes the most stupid statements out of anybody so far. At least 1 a day.

DarrinS
06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Pierce is awesome, but Manu is untouchable.

clambake
06-27-2006, 10:13 AM
You wouldn't trade for Kobe or Lebron? You may not like Kobe, (I loathe the ahole) but come on! Tim and Kobe and any 3 others would destroy.

pache100
06-27-2006, 10:52 AM

Blasphemy.

I would not trade any of the following:
Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bowen

Anything else (although I would hate to see anyone remaining from this season's Spurs team go) is fair game.

Ginobili is getting old.
:lol

As great as he is, you guys telling me you wouldn't trade Manu for Pierce straight up?
That's what I'm telling you.

ALVAREZ6
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
TP and Manu for Pierce???

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Obstructed_View
06-27-2006, 11:01 AM
TP and Manu for Pierce???

Are you out of your fucking mind?

Best post of the day.

johngateswhiteley
06-27-2006, 11:28 AM

...lmao. that just does not make any sense...gaping hole at pg and lebron and duncan don't get it done by themself. only two that do, imo, would be kobe and duncan. remember, as much as everyone thinks wade and shaq did it by themselves...that's pure hogwash. miami's role players took the foot out of their graves and played great.

jman3000
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
I think Paul Pierce is good... just not good for the Spurs. I think his style of game and his personality are to command the ball. IMO, Manu and TP are perfect compliments to Tim Duncan because while they are both extremely good, but they don't have to have the ball in their hand to contribute. They also both know who to get the ball to (both have lapses everynow and then, but I'd contribute that more to Pop's instructions then to them trying to dominate a ball game) when it matters most and Pierce is used to being the alpha male on his team. It would be good if we could get him for junk, but in no way do I trade a part of the big 4 (Bowen is just as important, if not more, than TP or Manu) to acquire him.

bdictjames
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
We've got plenty of shooters already. Just look at Finley and this is the same of what you gonne get with Pierce.. I think we should settle with our same rosters

mabber
06-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I think Paul Pierce is good... just not good for the Spurs. I think his style of game and his personality are to command the ball. IMO, Manu and TP are perfect compliments to Tim Duncan because while they are both extremely good, but they don't have to have the ball in their hand to contribute. They also both know who to get the ball to (both have lapses everynow and then, but I'd contribute that more to Pop's instructions then to them trying to dominate a ball game) when it matters most and Pierce is used to being the alpha male on his team. It would be good if we could get him for junk, but in no way do I trade a part of the big 4 (Bowen is just as important, if not more, than TP or Manu) to acquire him.

I bet Spur's management would seriously consider trading Manu and other for Pierce. Although I agree with a lot of the above assessment of Pierce, I think Pierce is much more consistent than Manu and would be a decent fit with Duncan & Parker. Spurs need to go back to having Parker as the definitive 3rd option. Yes, Pierce has been the main guy for the Celtics but I'm sure he could fit into a more team oriented system. He did play at Kansas which was all about "team". Doesn't matter as the Celtics would never make this trade cuz Manu would not be a good fit in Boston.

jman3000
06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
I think Pierce is much more consistent than Manu
I would say that Pierce would lose that consistency because he's a rythm shooter and needs his shots to get in a groove. That's bad news if you're playing alongside Duncan. Granted, Manu has a similar rythm style, he's not considered (in most circles) a super star along the same lines as Pierce is. The Spurs would be getting rid of a player who knows the system and has established friendships within the team, essentially a great chemistry guy, for a player who is totally new to the system, makes more money then Manu, and has attitude problems.

The whole debate is moot though, because there is no way Pierce becomes a Spur... it's just not happening.

DFW Spurs
06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Paul Pierce for an orange fanta and a bag of Funions. I'd do that trade. Hypothetically, your have a better chance of getting stabbed in the neck like Pierce than for Pierce being traded to the spurs.

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Paul Pierce for an orange fanta and a bag of Funions. I'd do that trade. Hypothetically, your have a better chance of getting stabbed in the neck like Pierce than for Pierce being traded to the spurs.

A strawberry Fanta and you're on.

DFW Spurs
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
A strawberry Fanta and you're on.

Done Deal, R.C. Buford eat your heart out. :rollin

Nikos
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Would anyone here trade Tony Parker straight up for Paul Pierce?

jman3000
06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
nein

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
DO THIS.

Paul Pierce is amazingly clutch and one of the top players in the game today, him with Duncan and that's a title. Especially if you can keep Parker.

Parker
Pierce
Bowen
Duncan
???

Are you telling me that isn't a championship team? Ginobili is getting old. As great as he is, you guys telling me you wouldn't trade Manu for Pierce straight up? I am a HUGE Manu fan guys, but that is a steal. Manu is a borderline all-star much like Jason Richardson and Kirilenko, but Pierce was considered (and still might be) a SUPER star.

Ginobili/Barry/Scola/???/picks? that sounds good for a player like Pierce. People who'd keep Manu over Pierce? Kind of ridiculous and I'm a huge Manu fan. That's a pretty good shipment of players Boston would get back too.

Pierce can be a top 10 NBA player every night.

Manu fits this system better than a Pierce would.

That said, Manu's age and style of play is a bit of concern. I think Pierce will be in the league longer than Manu...so I would definately consider the deal. If you would have a Parker/Pierce/Duncan lineup for years to come that would be nice.

Pierce can also bring the ball up court when TP's on the bench or struggling.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
We've got plenty of shooters already. Just look at Finley and this is the same of what you gonne get with Pierce.. I think we should settle with our same rosters

Are you serious?

Finley and Pierce are very different players. Finley isn't as good of a ball handler and is mainly a 3 poin tshooter who can get to the rim and finish at times. Pierce is a very good ball handler who gets the hoop at will, but can spot up and hit the outside shot at times as well. He can post up too, which isn't one of Fins strong suits.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I bet Spur's management would seriously consider trading Manu and other for Pierce. Although I agree with a lot of the above assessment of Pierce, I think Pierce is much more consistent than Manu and would be a decent fit with Duncan & Parker. Spurs need to go back to having Parker as the definitive 3rd option. Yes, Pierce has been the main guy for the Celtics but I'm sure he could fit into a more team oriented system. He did play at Kansas which was all about "team". Doesn't matter as the Celtics would never make this trade cuz Manu would not be a good fit in Boston.

Also, he played with Walker...where they shared the big shots.

I'm sure he could fit in on a winning team and sacrifice a few shots...unlike a Allen Iverson.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
I would say that Pierce would lose that consistency because he's a rythm shooter and needs his shots to get in a groove. That's bad news if you're playing alongside Duncan. Granted, Manu has a similar rythm style, he's not considered (in most circles) a super star along the same lines as Pierce is. The Spurs would be getting rid of a player who knows the system and has established friendships within the team, essentially a great chemistry guy, for a player who is totally new to the system, makes more money then Manu, and has attitude problems.

The whole debate is moot though, because there is no way Pierce becomes a Spur... it's just not happening.

Walker is a rythm/quantity shooter.

Pierce is more of a "scorer" who doesn't need to jack up a lot of shots (but still does, because his team sucks).

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Would anyone here trade Tony Parker straight up for Paul Pierce?

No.

Manu/Pierce in similar positions? Doesn't make sense.

Nikos
06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
The reason I mentioned the two scenario's I did was because they are FAR more likely than an even Manu for PP swap. Even so they are all unlikely scenarios.

I guess judging by the posts here I would like to simply ask -- Would you trade Tony Parker straight up for Paul Pierce (knowing the team could somehow later get a mediocre PG to fill in)?

MI21
06-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Nikos, discussing Pierce, Manu and Tony's relative values seems awfully familiar :)

Nikos
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Nikos, discussing Pierce, Manu and Tony's relative values seems awfully familiar :)

Most people are reffering to SParky's thread, but I get the feeling your comments hold some retro behind them....something like 2004 :king ?