PDA

View Full Version : Headed to the Florida Keys for Five Days

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2006, 12:54 AM
For you resident divers on the forum, this is going to be a hardcore dive trip - right now we've got 14 dives scheduled in 4 days, and are trying to swing two more night dives to round it out to 16.

Wednesday I scratch one of my top 10 dives to do off my list - the Spiegel Grove :hat

Manny, keep that tropical depression/wave/storm thing going north for me, I need some good weather until Sunday.

Bring me some good draft night news, Spurs.

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Sweet! Have fun man.

I don't know if you've ever dived in the Keys or not, but you should have an awesome time.

If the weather is good, don't be suprised to get visibility of 70 or more feet.

Big Jewfish, Large Green Morays. Parrot fish and Cuda's everywhere. Squid or cuttlefish. I've also seen quite a few Octopus.

When I was down there for night dives we'd always see lobster all over the place.

Can't say I've ever done any wreck diving in the Keys, but if the visiblity is with you, it should be a blast.

You bringing a camera?

jman3000
06-27-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't know why... but I laughed my ass off when I read "Big Jewfish"

J.T.
06-27-2006, 03:00 AM
I went to Orlando a few weeks ago and got rained out of fucking Disneyworld. I thought it was supposed to be "magical" and I get fucking rained out. Here's to hoping you have better weather than I got in FL land.

Hey but at least the Heat won. I was down there during games 3-5. Nice atmosphere. Wouldn't mind living there if it didn't get bitched up by hurricanes every summer.

Muki
06-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Wednesday I scratch one of my top 10 dives to do off my list - the Spiegel Grove :hat

I envy you for that, Spiegel Grove (and the Bikini Atoll) has always been my dream dive....

:drool:

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Pistons < Spurs,

Yep, got a new digital camera, busted my housing on my old one in Belize last month.

Muki,

Small world, Bikini Atoll is also on mine (along with the Red Sea, Palau, Truk Lagoon, and some others).

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2006, 08:40 AM
Look forward to seeing the pictures!

Truk Lagoon has always been my number one dream dive spot! But I'm sure I'll never make it out there. :depressed

Marklar MM
06-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Yo Aggie...do you got a marine aquarium?

I can just throw on some really cleaned up goggles, and look in the tank. :) Although I am not going to because something might bite me(Damn clownfish).

06-27-2006, 05:03 PM
For you resident divers on the forum, this is going to be a hardcore dive trip - right now we've got 14 dives scheduled in 4 days, and are trying to swing two more night dives to round it out to 16.

Manny, keep that tropical depression/wave/storm thing going north for me, I need some good weather until Sunday.

Bring me some good draft night news, Spurs.

You'll dig the Grove dive, I did that twice over the Memorial Day weekend this year. Surface was as smooth as glass, vis was tremendous (a good 60'-70') and there was zero current on the wreck. It's amazing to think that until a couple of years ago, the Grove was laying on her side until a hurricane picked it up and set it on the keel. I shot a couple of rolls with my Nikonos, but it was my first dive with the camera and after market flash and the pics didn't turn out too good. That and my supposed "buddy" was wearing some freaking freediver fins and I was sucking the bottom out of my tank trying to keep up with him.

You just going to dive Largo, or go elsewhere?

Slomo
06-27-2006, 05:13 PM

Bring me some good draft night news, Spurs.:flipoff

:lol have fun!

Safe diving :tu

SequSpur
06-27-2006, 11:18 PM
We just got back from So. Florida.

:smokin

David Bowie
06-27-2006, 11:19 PM
nice! I will be heading to Florida for 12 days myself for a bout two weeks o visit a friend.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-27-2006, 11:56 PM
1369 -

Wednesday: 2 dives, first one on the Spiegel, second hopefully the Christ of the Deep
Thursday: 3 tank trip on Looe Key, 2 tank night dive on Looe
Friday: Marathon: 2 tank trip to the Thunderbolt in the morning, 2 tank trip in PM to either the Duane or Sombrero Reef
Saturday: 3 tanker starting with the Adolphus Busch

Should be fun. I'm a little nervous about my first dive with the new camera rig being on the Spiegel, but if it kicks as much ass as I think I shouldn't have a problem convincing everyone to go back on Saturday.