PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Round Pick: Calling My Shot

timvp
06-27-2006, 03:36 AM
With the 59th pick of the 2006 NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Jose Juan Barea from Northeastern.

Barea is an interesting prospect. He's a 5-foot-10 point guard who had a stellar career at Northeastern and already has a ton of international play under his belt playing for Puerto Rico.

Of course when you are picking 59th, 99% of the time the guy never sees an NBA court. However I think this guy has a chance. He's quick, he can really pass and he plays with a lot of heart. He'd be a perfect type player to bring into camp to battle for a 3rd point guard spot on the team.

In the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, he was named MVP by averaging 14 points, 5.7 rebounds and 13.7 assists. To the surprise of many, Barea wasn't invited to draft camp in Orlando.

In the past few weeks, I haven't read more than a couple teams working him out. The knock on him is that he's just too small and doesn't shoot for a high enough percentage (just 40% in college), but for the 59th pick I like his chances.

Most draft sites have him either going very late in the draft or going undrafted. The Spurs surely scouted a lot of his international games and they like these type of underdog stories.

Jose Juan Barea at 59.

:smokin

T Park
06-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Nik Caner Medley

Bruno
06-27-2006, 06:45 AM
I go with the french "under the radar" guy : Pape-Philippe Amagou
and with Panagiotis Vasilopoulos.

spvrs
06-27-2006, 07:20 AM
My call is we package Scola to get in the 15-20 range and pick Kyle Lowry.

He's scrappy, good defensive and a winner. Plus New Jersey likes him and Pop and Thorn think alike

Doug Collins
06-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Kevin Pittsnogle, just cause I like to make fun of him.

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
David Noel. He is by far the most athletic player in the draft http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1352 is a tough defender. Improving outside shooter and possesses good shot selection. Could be the Bruce Bowen replacement we've been looking for. Plus there is a seriously realistic chance he will be there when we pick.

Nikos
06-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Jose Juan Barea at 59.

I went to Northeastern and watched this guy play several times.

He was dynamite. He took a lot of bad shots, but he had a pretty weak supporting cast most of his college career. He tore it up recently at some tournment with several NBA calibur prospects (Portsmouth as mentioned above), and more than held his own vs Chris Paul, and other stud college PG's in the past.

He is a tough and hard nosed player who can create his own shot. He doesn't have a great perimeter jumper, and he is probably 5'11 at best -- but he can get where he wants to go on the floor. He has very good athleticism and ability to make things happen. Fearless would be a great word to decribe him.

That would be hilarious if the Spurs took him.

Phenomanul
06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
More small ball I reckon....

picnroll
06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Sounds like Avery. No wonder timvp likes him. At last he's taller than AJ who while listed at 5'11" in reality was about 5'8".

I'm going with that guy from East Bumfuq that has no vowels in his name,

infinite styles
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
David Noel. He is by far the most athletic player in the draft http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1352 is a tough defender. Improving outside shooter and possesses good shot selection. Could be the Bruce Bowen replacement we've been looking for. Plus there is a seriously realistic chance he will be there when we pick.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1063315#post1063315

I already called that on the last page of the thread. So he's mine :lol Anyways I would pick Noel as well. I mean if we are so up on getting J.R. Smith then we might as well just draft Noel since he's just as athletic. Great defender, team leader and hard worker. Plus he's been on a championship team and played under a tough coach. Noel is a good choice to replace Bowen and even if he's not drafted, as most are predicting, then I hope the Spurs at least put him on a summer league team.

Speaking of UNC, were's Jawad Williams playing at now? Any possibility the Spurs bring him back to play summer league again this year?

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1063315#post1063315

I already called that on the last page of the thread. So he's mine :lol Anyways I would pick Noel as well. I mean if we are so up on getting J.R. Smith then we might as well just draft Noel since he's just as athletic. Great defender, team leader and hard worker. Plus he's been on a championship team and played under a tough coach. Noel is a good choice to replace Bowen and even if he's not drafted, as most are predicting, then I hope the Spurs at least put him on a summer league team.

Speaking of UNC, were's Jawad Williams playing at now? Any possibility the Spurs bring him back to play summer league again this year?

Exactly like you said he is a team leader not a guy with potential attitude problems. We're going to have to both take credit for this because before I left Spurs Report I was all over his jock.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Vladimir Veremeenko or Jose Juan Barea is fine with me.

MI21
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Interesting.

timvp was lobbying for the selection of Nate Robinson in last yeears draft and now he wants another short PG. Nate turned out very well, so I trust his judgement.

Anything more anybody can tell me about this guy?

Nikos
06-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Interesting.

timvp was lobbying for the selection of Nate Robinson in last yeears draft and now he wants another short PG. Nate turned out very well, so I trust his judgement.

He outplayed Darius Washington in a very important HS basketball game.

He has a reasonable built for his height. He plays real strong for his height/size. Weird mechanics from long range that change often, but he has the ability to create his own shot with ease. I think he led the nation in APG?

Mr. Body
06-27-2006, 03:50 PM
If the Spurs get a backup PG in the 2nd, one that can play, I'd be amazed.

Barea's size isn't such a big liability for a backup, but he loves to dominate the ball -- he's Steve Francis the way he dribbles around like crazy waiting for something to happen. He always has to have the ball in his hands. His decision-making leaves much to be desired and he shrugs off calls from the sideline.

I seriously doubt this is the guy.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Sounds liek a hispanic Mike Wilks.

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Sounds liek a hispanic Mike Wilks.

:idiot

timvp
06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
:idiot

:lol

Nothing described sounds anything like Mike Wilks other than being short.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Nothing described sounds anything like Mike Wilks other than being short.

A short 3rd string point guard who plays with a lot of energy. Hmm...

That doesn't sound a little like Wilks?

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 03:59 PM

Have you seen this dude play or seen him at all.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Have you seen this dude play or seen him at all.

Nope.

Which is why I said "sounds like".

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
I see.

MI21
06-27-2006, 04:06 PM

Michael Finley - Verteran backup swingman who stands about 6'5.
Jerry Stackhouse - Veteran backup swingman who stands about 6'5.

Just because players have the same role on a team and share something in common that almost all players who fill that position share, doesn't make them similar.

He outplayed Darius Washington in a very important HS basketball game.

He has a reasonable built for his height. He plays real strong for his height/size. Weird mechanics from long range that change often, but he has the ability to create his own shot with ease. I think he led the nation in APG?

Lead the nation in APG but people are calling him a ballhog type here? You can be a ballhog and get assists, but to lead the nation in that category with mediocre teammates, you must be doing something right.

Is he a super athlete at all? Very fast? Habit of getting steals or deflections? I figure he would be good in open court.

Is anybody able to point me in the direction of a profile of him?

T Park
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Nope.

suprise suprise.

If the Spurs get a biter on a trade for Beno, then I'd be all for it.

But if the Spurs are able to throw their MLE at a guy like Claxton or Bobby Jackson, but have to keep Beno, then it doesn't make sense.

timvp
06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Interesting.

This isn't a Nate Robinson-esque proclamation. I wanted Robinson two years ago when he wanted a first round guarantee to stay in the draft. He didn't get it and went back to school. The Spurs ended up picking Beno. :shootme

I wanted Robinson last year too but of course by that time the rest of the world had caught on.

Jose Juan Barea isn't a Nate Robinson steal but he's a flashy point guard that can rack up assists who has dominated in international play. I think it'd be a good risk for the Spurs to take to see if they can tame him some and make him a nice backup point.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Michael Finley - Verteran backup swingman who stands about 6'5.
Jerry Stackhouse - Veteran backup swingman who stands about 6'5.

Just because players have the same role on a team and share something in common that almost all players who fill that position share, doesn't make them similar.

*sigh*

You guys take shit so seriously.

I was just going off what I was told. I took the fact he was short, the fact he plays with energy, and the fact he would likely be a 3rd string backup PG and made a comment about what I thought.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned to make an assumption without prior knowledge on the topic as most of the posters on this site are intellectually enlightened sports-wise and only post when they are 100% up-to-date on the subject matter.

MI21
06-27-2006, 04:11 PM
*sigh*

I was just going off what I was told. I took the fact he was short, the fact he plays with energy, and the fact he would likely be a 3rd string backup PG and made a comment about what I thought.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned to make an assumption without prior knowledge on the topic as most of the posters on this site are intellectually enlightened sports-wise and only post when they are 100% up-to-date on the subject matter.

Yeah, you thought wrong. Thought you would like to know.

MoSpur
*sigh*

^ That would be cool, but the fact that you said, Hispanic is what killed it.

timvp
Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

Apology Accepted.

Now you need to take back what you said about Vladimir Radmanovic and all will be forgiven.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah, you thought wrong. Thought you would like to know.

Now I know. :elephant

timvp
06-27-2006, 04:13 PM
NBA Comparison: Carlos Arroyo ( smaller version)

Strengths: Barea is a tough point guard with excellent all around skills. More importantly, Barea plays at a higher level when facing quality opposition. Barea is a true point guard that can penetrate at will against any player. He has the ability of controlling the tempo of a game at halfcourt or in the fastbreak. Even though he doesn't have prototipical size for a point guard he is a terrific rebounder. He can shoot the ball from outside the 3 point college line. A proven winner at every level, Barea was named the best point guard at the junior World Championships in Greece. He followed that performance earning MVP honors at the 2004 21 and under Centrobasket tournament. Also, was the leading scorer in the Global Games and the Tournament of the Americas outplaying players from Serbia Montenegro, USA and Argentina. Very good court vision.

Weaknesses: Without being a freak athlete, he'll have a tough time at 5-11. Barea's outside shot doesn't look very good but he gets the job done. A little bit streaky from the outside. At times seems to get out of control especially when the opposition plays physical defense. Barea is more of a scorer than a high percentage offensive player. Because of this he tends to shoot at a high volume, therefore avoiding a cohesive team game. This area could be corrected with experience. His size will hurt him at the NBA level, but his hard nosed style will certainly help him.

-Herminio Nieves

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:14 PM
^ That would be cool, but the fact that you said, Hispanic is what killed it.

Isn't Puerto Rico considered "Hispanic"?

Timvp said he played there, and his name sounds hispanic...

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Puerto Rican and Hispanic aren't the same. At least not to me. Maybe to you.

Please_dont_ban_me
By this description, he sounds a little like a poor man's Bobby Jackson.

MoSpur
Isn't Puerto Rico considered "Hispanic"?

Timvp said he played there, and his name sounds hispanic...

Its cool. Just know he isn't Mike Wilks.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Puerto Rican and Hispanic aren't the same. At least not to me. Maybe to you.

Hispanic to me is people of Mexcian, Dominican, Spanish type descent.

That wasn't meant to generalize or insult anybody, I just heart Puerto Rico and saw his name assumed he was Hispanic. What do you consider Puerto Rico then, if not Hispanic?

timvp
One of the most fiery competitors in the college game, Jose Juan Barea is a rare point guard who shows excellent ability to both score and get his teammates involved.

Physically, Barea makes up for his smallish stature to a certain extent with his excellent quickness as well as his outstanding basketball instincts. If needed, Barea can surprisingly go to the hoop and dunk the ball with authority as he has extremely strong legs and a very nice vertical leap. It would not be a huge surprise to see him do his in the NBA, as he has a Pitbull’s mentality, and is constantly in attack mode.

As a point guard, Barea is very much adept at finding the open man, as his outstanding 8.4 assists per game will attest. He’s your consummate modern day floor general who can score as well as run his team effectively, showing very good court vision finding his teammates unselfishly, particularly on the drive and dish. Barea is a quick thinker who sees plays as they happen, and will feed his man instaneously with a lob or backdoor bounce pass for an easy layup, showing very good timing in the process. It’s the tougher and flashier passes that he actually excels the most in.

Playing alongside better teammates than he had at Northeastern, for example at Portsmouth or with the Puerto Rican national team, Barea showed to be an even better point guard than anyone could have predicted based on what was seen in college.

In these settings Barea showed the ability to push the tempo of the game intelligently while still staying under control, making numerous pin-point accurate full court passes to a wide open man or getting in the paint himself. Barea looks out of control at times with the way he plays, but this might be due more to how fast he thinks, acts and improvises-- rather than because of a lack of poise. He shows an incredibly wide variety of passes in his arsenal, whether with a beautiful bounce pass from the perimeter or from 50 feet away, moving left or right from outside and slinging a perfect one-handed pass to a cutter, driving and dishing no-look passes with incredible creativity, or with an assortment of underhanded or over-handed alleyoop lobs. Most of his assists are for easy dunks, layups or wide open looks from behind the arc, as he makes the game extremely easy for his teammates, passing the ball equally well to everyone to make sure they all stay happy and knowing exactly where to place it to ensure that it finds it's way into the opponent's basket.

Barea's perimeter game is extremely advanced and shows most of the moves you would expect from a player with years of experience creating shots for himself. He’s a terrific ball-handler, going left or right equally well. Barea has an excellent crossover, as well as a wide array of other hesitation moves to keep his man off balance and constantly guessing. He improvises extremely well and is very adept at creating something out of nothing when the offense bogs down.

Barea sees small openings in the defense and will react immediately to exploit them, splitting the double team right down the middle to shred apart the defense if needed. His body control is excellent and he really knows how to sell his moves to create space for himself. He’ll act like he’s about to take his man right, but will instead make a sharp ball-fake left and then blow right by his man when he has him on his heels. If he feels the urge, he has a nice in-between game he can go to at this point, being able to pull-up off the dribble and knock down the mid-range shot, or spin his way into the paint and finish creatively off the glass.

Once he’s in the lane, he’s strong enough to finish at the basket with contact as his 620+ career free throw attempts will attest. He likes to keep his man on his hip and ride him all the way to the basket, drawing the foul only when he decides the time is right. He is small, but extremely strong and stocky, which makes him tough to rattle and get off-balance. He maintains his focus very well and will get the unconventional 3-point opportunity a few times a game at the mid-major level. If the lane is too crowded for him to make his way all the way to the basket, Barea has some floaters/runners/tear-drops in his arsenal that he can go to to finish over bigger and more athletic opponents.

His shot-fakes are equally as effective, and he uses them to perfection to get himself into the lane. If he can find a way to become a more consistent outside shooter, his credibility in this area will only get much better. As it is, it’s not rare to see him get his man in the air a couple of times per game with just how herky-jerky and unpredictable he is.

Barea’s outside shot is extremely streaky, but he can knock it down in a variety of ways. The type of defenses that are usually thrown at him has made him adapt his game accordingly, as Barea can square his shoulders in an instant and get his shot off even while on the move going left or right. His mechanics are not pretty, but he gets his shot off quickly, which is what’s most important. Barea has range that extends well beyond the NBA 3-point line, but he abuses it, which hurts his percentages.

Barea already possesses all the wily veteran moves needed to make up for his size and create an advantage for himself. Little tricks like pushing off coming off a screen, tugging his man’s shirt to slow him down or giving him a little business by sticking his elbows out when setting screens are certainly not beneath him. His play borders on dirty at times, but he does it well enough to usually not get caught by the refs.

Defensively, Barea is capable of playing very aggressive pressure defense, getting right in his man’s grill and pestering him without mercy. His exhausting offensive role and the fact that he must stay out of foul trouble means that he isn’t always able to show this, though. Considering his size, he’s an excellent rebounder, averaging 4.4 per game, often snatching rebounds away from players a foot taller than him. This is largely due to his toughness, also not being afraid of stepping in to take a charge.

Despite playing for just a decent team in an average conference by national standards over the past four years, he has plenty of experience to fall back on from his play with the Puerto Rican national teams. He's held his own or even outplayed present or future NBA players like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo and many others in international play.

In terms of intangibles, you won't find many players with stronger ones than his. He comes from an academic family and clearly has a great head on his shoulders, being a pleasure to be around both on and off the court according to every report we've received. He has a rare combination of brains, a huge heart and plenty of cojones, and just refuses to be denied success. His leadership skills are outstanding, and he appears to have the perfect mentality needed for a basketall player to succeed.

Barea’s main weakness is a big one, as he's very short for an NBA point guard at just 5-10 or possibly 5-11. His apparently poor wingspan does not make up for that at all. As an athlete, Barea is not quite as explosive as most sub-6 footers we’ve seen make it over the past few years. His footspeed is good, not amazing, but his initial first step and style of play mask this very effectively.

Barea is a volume scorer, and will likely never be very efficient in this area considering his career percentages in college and international play. In college he relied too much on the 3-point shot, which is as streaky as can be. His mechanics are not very good, making his shot highly inconsistent as he appears to release it in different fashion every time he shoots it. One possession he will nail a 30 foot jumpshot with the greatest of ease, and he’ll then will proceed to miss 3 wide open stand-still looks from 20 feet out for no apparent reason.

Barea is a bit of a freelancer on the offensive end, and its unclear how many NBA coaches will stand for his completely unstructured and unconservative style of play. He is a bit headstrong, not being the type of player that really likes to have plays called for him from the sidelines, although doesn't look to be uncoachable at all.

One of Northeastern’s biggest problems this season (at least from the tapes I saw), beyond the obvious lack of talent, is that their offense often had little rhythm to it with him at the helm. His herky-jerky aggressive style of play is a weakness as much as it is a strength. You rarely see a calm possession out of them with Barea in the game. Everything always comes in chaotic fashion with the ball in JJB’s hands for 90% of the possession or more.

He has a tendency to dribble and dribble and dribble the ball and then dribble some more, being extremely dominant offensively, needing the ball in his hands at all times and not really trusting his teammates to give it up unless they are in a position to score immediately. At some point his teammates will just stand around and watch him pound the ball frantically all over the court as the offense gets stagnant and the shot-clock runs down, only to see it end with an off the dribble fadeaway jumper from 25 feet out that might just go in.

Barea’s decision making can be very questionable at times, as he is either making a spectacular play or a terrible one, with very little in between. He is very turnover prone (4.7 per game), and tends to force the issue excessively even when things clearly aren’t there, particularly with taking shots at inopportune times too early in possessions.

Despite having the attitude and mentality of a natural born winner, Barea actually hasn’t won much at all in his career. In fact, he never reached the NCAA tournament in his four years in college. Although a large part of that has to do with the fact that his teammates weren’t very good.

His size will be an issue defensively as well, as taller opponents will be able to just shoot over him. His lateral quickness is not off the charts either.

Barea plays in the Colonial Athletic Association, one of the best mid-major conferences in the NCAA, likely to receive 3 bids in this year’s NCAA tournament. His team had a nice run this season, finishing with a 19-11 record (12-6 in CAA) before bowing out in the semifinals of the CAA tournament. Barea finished the year scoring 21 points per game with 8.4 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 4.7 turnovers per game. His shooting percentages are fairly appalling, at 40% from the field and 29% from behind the arc (on a huge number of attempts). He was named conference player of the year for his efforts.

In his three previous seasons in the NCAA, Barea’s team Northeastern played in the America East, considered a run of the mill mid-major conference until Taylor Coppenrath and Vermont briefly made people think otherwise last year by knocking Syracuse out of the NCAA tournament. His numbers were pretty similar, except his assists have drastically risen since his freshman year.

Internationally is where Barea really made his mark as a basketball player in the junior categories. He was one of the top player in the 2003 U-19 World Championship along with Linas Kleiza and Andrew Bogut, as well as extremely dominant in the 2004 U-21 World Championship Qualifiers in Halifax, where he outplayed Chris Paul in the finals against Team USA, with 27 points, 6 assists and 6 rebounds. He led the tournament in points (24.8 per game) was 2nd in (7.2), while pulling down 6.8 rebounds and 3 steals per game. Other notable players at this tournament besides Chris Paul were Charlie Villanueva, Adam Morrison and PJ Tucker.

In the 2005 U-21 World Championships he was not quite as good leading a disappointing Puerto Rican team that finished 7th overall, but saved his best for his American counterparts once again with a 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 14 assists in their first matchup and 23 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists in the 2nd, both losses. This team featured college stars such as Rudy Gay, Rajon Rondo, J.J. Redick and many others. He led the tournament in assists once again with 7.3 per game and finished fourth in scoring with 17.6. He is expected to be invited to the senior team this summer for the Men’s World Championship in Japan. In the 2004 Global Games in Dallas, Barea led the tournament once again in scoring with 28.5 ppg.

Barea is clearly a beauty in the eye of the holder type prospect. He has fantastic strengths and glaring weaknesses, and there are many unanswered questions revolving around how effective he will be with more talented teammates around him, which he answered to a certain extent starting at Portsmouth. He clearly has very good passing skills and a terrific feel for the game, but at the same time needs the ball in his hands at all times and shows absolutely no conscious jacking up dozens of shots a game. This was playing for a terrible team that probably wouldn't have won 5 games all season long without him. Can he make his already good teammates better? At Portsmouth it looked like that's all he wanted to do.

Then again, it’s quite possible that as a backup he'll be fine. There are few backup point guards in the NBA today that possess the combination of passing, scoring and feel for the game that he does, and it goes without saying that if he was 6-2 he'd easily be a top 10 pick in this draft. With the lack of legit PGs in this draft and the astounding success of little PGs in the NBA lately, it's quite possible that someone will see a perfect backup for the next 10 years in Barea and decide to lock him up at the end of the 1st round or early 2nd.

If things don’t work out for him in the NBA, he will make NBA money overseas regardless because of his Spanish passport and the fact that he can play like a 6-3 NBA PG would overseas despite his size.

Please_dont_ban_me
Its cool. Just know he isn't Mike Wilks.

Yessir.

He's been upgraded to a poor man's Bobby Jackson. :elephant

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Hispanic to me is people of Mexcian, Dominican, Spanish type descent.

That wasn't meant to generalize or insult anybody, I just heart Puerto Rico and saw his name assumed he was Hispanic. What do you consider Puerto Rico then, if not Hispanic?

Puerto Rican. Latino.

Mr. Body
06-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Hell, give him a shot. Anybody who gets Draft Express to write such a long profile on him has to be worth it.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
If needed, Barea can surprisingly go to the hoop and dunk the ball with authority as he has extremely strong legs and a very nice vertical leap. It would not be a huge surprise to see him do his in the NBA, as he has a Pitbull’s mentality, and is constantly in attack mode.

As a point guard, Barea is very much adept at finding the open man, as his outstanding 8.4 assists per game will attest.

Playing alongside better teammates than he had at Northeastern, for example at Portsmouth or with the Puerto Rican national team, Barea showed to be an even better point guard than anyone could have predicted based on what was seen in college.

I'll read the rest when I get home but these things really stuck out.

Dunking ability, pitbuill mentality, ability to play with better players...very nice.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Puerto Rican. Latino.

Not to really get into this conversation again, but Hispanic can be considered correct as well. Hispanic usually just means a person who speaks Spanish or is of Latin descent.

MI21
06-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Thank you timvp.

I really like the sound of this guy, sounds like a player the domestic Basketball team in my country imported last season who chopped up NBA summer leagues but couldn't get a gig. These guys put up numbers but just dont get the oppurtunities they deserve because of there size.

I like the sound of the pesky defense, vertical leap, habit for snatching long rebounds and an overall tough nature. I figure there is no highlights around?

Mr. Body
06-27-2006, 04:24 PM
He sounds a bit like Jameer Nelson, except without the skills as a true point guard.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:26 PM
He sounds a bit like Jameer Nelson, except without the skills as a true point guard.

As far as I know, Jameer isn't that athletic...is more of a true point who distributes. He's a little bulky too.

This kid doesn't sound anything like that. He sounds like more of a Bobby Jackson type.

MoSpur
06-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Not to really get into this conversation again, but Hispanic can be considered correct as well. Hispanic usually just means a person who speaks Spanish or is of Latin descent.

I can see where people see that, but I don't, which is why I don't really have a problem with it. PDBM is an easy target.

timvp
06-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank you timvp.

I really like the sound of this guy, sounds like a player the domestic Basketball team in my country imported last season who chopped up NBA summer leagues but couldn't get a gig. These guys put up numbers but just dont get the oppurtunities they deserve because of there size.

I like the sound of the pesky defense, vertical leap, habit for snatching long rebounds and an overall tough nature. I figure there is no highlights around?

Best I could find:

http://gonu.com/gobarea/barea4wmv.html

Can't really tell much but his stroke looks decent and had a nice crossover.

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Best I could find:

http://gonu.com/gobarea/barea4wmv.html

Can't really tell much but his stroke looks decent and had a nice crossover.

Looks a little stocky and not that quick.

MI21
06-27-2006, 04:49 PM
That last pass he gave to the big under the basket was very nice.

I thought he didn't look quick at first, but that drive followed by soft floating layup off of the glass showed speed.

cheers.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think this guy is obscure enough for the Spurs to pick.

Russ
06-27-2006, 07:10 PM
I'd love to see Leon Powe slide to the Spurs at 59.

But my wild guess for the Spurs at that slot is Marcus "Marquinhos" Vinicius Vieira de Souza.

wildbill2u
06-27-2006, 07:41 PM
With the 59th pick of the 2006 NBA Draft, the San Antonio Spurs select Jose Juan Barea from Northeastern.

Jose Juan Barea at 59.

Unless you're cheatin' with some kind of inside info from Pop's wife or the FO, that stuff you're smokin' must be primo.

No midgets please--even at 59, let's not be laughingstocks.

spurschick
06-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Well, it appears now that we're taking Kyle Lowry. :fro

Please_dont_ban_me
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Well, it appears now that we're taking Kyle Lowry. :fro

Where'd you hear that?

spurschick
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Where'd you hear that?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44729

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
I don't think this guy is obscure enough for the Spurs to pick.

That was my thought, too.

It would be an almost uncomfortable break with tradition if we didn't all go "WTF?" immediately after the Spurs pick was announced, only to get crazy giddy about 30 seconds later at the thought that Presti might have uncovered another gem.

Quadzilla99
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM

But my wild guess for the Spurs at that slot is Marcus "Marquinhos" Vinicius Vieira de Souza.

I got semi good news for you according to the latest mock draft from Draft Express Powe is who we are taking: http://www.draftexpress.com/mock.php?y=2006

Of course it's semi good because mock drafts are rarely accurate and just guesses especially at the end of the 2nd round where so many possible/potential scenarios can be worked out.

EDIT: That site changed again, they had us taking Powe at 59 now its Millsap. It'll probably change again by tonight.

Solid D
06-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Barring any trade scenarios, there's a high probably that:
95% of the posters here will have that "let-down" feeling after the draft ends tomorrow.

4% of the posters here will convince themselves, then try to convince others, that they actually know something about the Spurs' 2nd round pick.

1% of the posters here will give the Spurs an "F" grade in a supreme "failure to launch" by Pop, RC and Sam.

100% chance that Sequ posts "(Draft Pick Name Here) Sucks".

ChumpDumper
06-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Eric Hicks is the next next Malik Rose.

T Park
06-28-2006, 12:00 AM
except Hicks is like 7 feet and went to UCLA, so that eliminates him being a decent big.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 12:03 AM
except Hicks is like 7 feet and went to UCLA, so that eliminates him being a decent big.All true, except he's 6'5.5" and went to Cincinnati.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
All true, except he's 6'5.5" and went to Cincinnati.
:lmao :lmao

FromWayDowntown
06-28-2006, 12:22 AM
All true, except he's 6'5.5" and went to Cincinnati.

classic.

Rynospursfan
06-28-2006, 12:25 AM

I think the Spurs are looking at him, however I believe they will need to move up, I doubt he will still be around at 59.

My guess is Damir Markota.

timvp
06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
In Chad Ford's final mock draft he has the Spurs picking Jose Juan Barea.

:depressed

Bruno
06-28-2006, 03:51 PM
And Draftexpress has us taking Paul Millsap. I easily take him for the min over Reggie Evans for $3M.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
eh, Milsap or Hicks or Slaughter if we stay at #59. No PGs unless they can shoot.

Horry For 3!
06-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Not Jose Juan Barea :pctoss He is a lil bitch

Horry For 3!
06-28-2006, 04:47 PM
except Hicks is like 7 feet and went to UCLA, so that eliminates him being a decent big.
:lmao You mean Ryan Hollins is 7' and went to UCLA

T Park
06-28-2006, 04:54 PM
I got Hicks and Hollins confused.

I apologize....

Rynospursfan
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
I think the Spurs are looking at him, however I believe they will need to move up, I doubt he will still be around at 59.

Hell yeah I called it!

Tobias
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
daang Ryno

Solid D
06-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Yesterday, 11:28 PM
Barring any trade scenarios, there's a high probably that:
95% of the posters here will have that "let-down" feeling after the draft ends tomorrow.

4% of the posters here will convince themselves, then try to convince others, that they actually know something about the Spurs' 2nd round pick.

1% of the posters here will give the Spurs an "F" grade in a supreme "failure to launch" by Pop, RC and Sam.

100% chance that Sequ posts "(Draft Pick Name Here) Sucks".

Okay....so now that the draft is over, how close was I to truth?

rayray2k8
06-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Man, you're good!!
That you R.C??

boutons_
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Ryno's a stud

ytg3721
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
another avery johnson ? i hope

wildbill2u
06-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Hell yeah I called it!

Damn impressive--but you didn't call the immediate trade--so no credit long term.

did you have a source, or just making a call based on a crystal ball? :wakeup

timvp
10-15-2006, 12:22 AM
Guess who is starting for the Dallas Mavericks and led them in scoring tonight?

:pctoss

SpursWillOwn
10-15-2006, 01:10 AM
but he's freaking 3-15

timvp
10-15-2006, 01:14 AM
but he's freaking 3-15

I'll take that over the 0-0 from out current backup point.

:married:

timvp
01-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Guess who is dominating in the NBDL? Yep, JJ Barea. Yesterday he had 41 points on 16-for-23 shooting from the field. A couple games before that Barea went for 43 points on 18-for-24 shooting.

He's averaging 28 points, 8 assists and 5 rebounds, while shooting 53% from the field and 43% from three.

And to top it off, he's still property of the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs fourth string point guard would be the backup on the Spurs.

:shootme

Spurs Brazil
01-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Guess who is dominating in the NBDL? Yep, JJ Barea. Yesterday he had 41 points on 16-for-23 shooting from the field. A couple games before that Barea went for 43 points on 18-for-24 shooting.

He's averaging 28 points, 8 assists and 5 rebounds, while shooting 53% from the field and 43% from three.

And to top it off, he's still property of the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs fourth string point guard would be the backup on the Spurs.

:shootme

Sad but true :depressed

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see him play against more than three teams before declaring him the second coming. There's always the question of big scoring numbers translating to the NBA (Anthony Grundy, anyone?), but it's been quite a run so far.

timvp
01-30-2007, 08:46 PM
The Spurs don't need a second coming. They need a backup point guard who will at the very least not hurt the team.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2007, 08:50 PM
I completely agree. I guess I just want to see him do something more than run around Randy Livingston for layups. I'll see him in Austin in a couple of weeks.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
again why isn't timvp constantly applying for a job with the organization

he can post on this site as an alias and be the biggest inside scoop in sports history

Nikos
02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I would have loved Barea to be selected by the Spurs.

If for no other reason, then the fact that he went to Northeastern -- I guess that fact is enough to want him on the team over Beno. :lol

I would like to see how Barea would do in Euroleagues and even on an NBA team. He was an excellent college player who had below average teamattes for the most part but put up some big numbers.

He is a very talented player, but is of course undersized. I could see him contributing on some team if given the chance.

timvp
02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
The Mavs, especially AJ, loves Barea. Once Anthony Johnson moves on or retires or whatever, Barea has a chance to be a rotational player.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 06:36 PM
again why isn't timvp constantly applying for a job with the organization

They don´t hire morons. :ihit

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 06:38 PM
ooooooooooooooooooo....he's getting nasty with you on the internets!

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I´ll let you know if they have any retarded opening chumpy,you may want to fill up an application.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I'll let you know when you post a sentence that makes sense.

ArgSpursFan
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
I'll let you know when you post a sentence that makes sense.

Don´t be so NASTY boy. :toast

timvp
02-14-2007, 10:26 PM
More quality postings from ArgScolaFan.

Kori Ellis
02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Why is he calling people "boy" now?

Does he realize that can be construed as a RACIST term? :lol

For people who don't realize, he called timvp a racist for not thinking Scola was worth a $10-12M contract.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2007, 10:34 PM
For people who don't realize, he called timvp a racist for not thinking Scola was worth a $10-12M contract.Oh, well now I feel sorry for busting on him.

Shame on you, LJ. You are nasty.

T Park
02-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Yeah picked up on that, but apparently argentines are cool with it.

timvp
10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Tonight: 13 points, three assists, two rebounds and no turnovers in 14 minutes.

:depressed

E20
10-09-2007, 10:06 PM
You were wrong though about the predicition. What are the chances that Dallas might cut/waive him you think?

Spurs are really lacking a traditional solid PG backup for Tony. Vaughn has the hustle and desire, he also has the will to play hard defense, but he lacks some obvious capabilities.

And1Mak
10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
http://mavswiki.com/images/thumb/5/5b/Jose_Barea.jpg/250px-Jose_Barea.jpg

Dallas isn't cutting J.J. Sorry.

T Park
10-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah the guy i so impressive there is talk of cutting him.

Big whoop.

Kori Ellis
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Yeah the guy i so impressive there is talk of cutting him.

Big whoop.

Who is talking about cutting him?

I hear talk of him being the backup point?

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 10:25 PM
They have to waive somebody.

Is it going to be Fazekas?

Kori Ellis
10-09-2007, 10:28 PM

Who knows. I haven't even paid attention to the Mavs this summer. I just had read they might use him at the backup PG spot.

T Park
10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
someone just posted an article in the game blog not sounding too optimistic for the chances of one midget puerto rican.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Who knows. I haven't even paid attention to the Mavs this summer. I just had read they might use him at the backup PG spot.I'm pretty sure they are at 16 guaranteed deals, but I could be wrong.

And1Mak
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Faz has a guaranteed contract, so does J.J.
There is no talk of cutting J.J...it's a pipe dream for Spurs fans :lol

Only guys gettng cut are the ones that have non-gauranteed contracts that just joined camp...like The Ham Slamwich.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 10:31 PM
You can only keep 15.

T Park
10-09-2007, 10:33 PM
There is no talk of cutting J.J...it's a pipe dream for Spurs fans

Read the article in the game thread.

Hemotivo
10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Barea is a PG like TP?

And1Mak
10-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Read the article in the game thread.

Are you talking about this one:

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/261721.html

There is no talk of cutting Barea...AJ says stuff like that all the time.
He's said worse about Harris, and he just signed an extension.

Trust me, JJB is not getting cut.
Chances are no one with a guaranteed contract gets cut.
If they had to pick one it would probably be Mbenga.

sribb43
12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
bump

timvp
12-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Why'd you have to go there? :depressed

BruceBowenFan
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
:lmao

Solid D
12-10-2008, 01:40 PM
:lol I'm so conditioned now. Whenever I see J.J. Barea play and play well, I think of timvp.
So, basically, it is...what it is: J.J. Barea = timvp

DannyT
12-10-2008, 03:25 PM
mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmm