PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/Underrated Movies

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
In light of the debate that the "Requiem For a Dream" thread started (and the fact that I'm always in search of more crap to put on my Netflix list) I want to know what people around here consider the most overrated and underrated films. You could also call it Over/Under-hyped, I guess. Which films people drool over make you want to gag, and which underappreciated gem do you wish more people knew about?

My picks:
Overrated- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-I've always taken heat for saying it, but I just didn't see what all the damn hooplah was about. I wasn't a fan of all the wire work in the fight scenes (I'm more of a Jackie Chan fan). And they took what could have been a pretty good, straight forward plot and let it get bogged down and pretensious, and threw in a stupid ending to boot.

Underrated- The Impostors-Starring all-time underrated actors Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt, this movie is fucking hilarious.

CuckingFunt
06-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Don't think I'm quite awake enough to start putting together my own list, but good call on The Imposters. Perhaps it's a bit of an acquired taste, and it doesn't quite capture the timing of the 1930's screwball comedies that it's trying to emulate, but it is absolutely hilarious.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 10:25 AM
In light of the debate that the "Requiem For a Dream" thread started (and the fact that I'm always in search of more crap to put on my Netflix list) I want to know what people around here consider the most overrated and underrated films. You could also call it Over/Under-hyped, I guess. Which films people drool over make you want to gag, and which underappreciated gem do you wish more people knew about?

My picks:
Overrated- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-I've always taken heat for saying it, but I just didn't see what all the damn hooplah was about. I wasn't a fan of all the wire work in the fight scenes (I'm more of a Jackie Chan fan). And they took what could have been a pretty good, straight forward plot and let it get bogged down and pretensious, and threw in a stupid ending to boot.

Underrated- The Impostors-Starring all-time underrated actors Stanley Tucci and Oliver Platt, this movie is fucking hilarious.

i agree with crouching tiger, it's not even close to wu peng (sp?)'s best work. i prefer tai chi 2 myelf. it is by no means a bad movie though. hero and fearless were also way better. i'll have to think more about my answers for overrated/underrated. but i will say guy ritchie is highly overrated, as is qt.

Leetonidas
06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not too sure about overrated movies, but I got a couple underrated...

1. Light it Up. Great movie, good story line. I really liked it and it really got ya towards the end.

2. Enemy at the Gates. One of my favorite war movies ever. Excellent story, good love story, good violence and intense action.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2006, 10:43 AM
2. Enemy at the Gates. One of my favorite war movies ever. Excellent story, good love story, good violence and intense action.

:tu I'm always suprised that there aren't more movies about the Battle of Stalingrad. It might be hard to make a film where people would cheer on the Russians, but it was one of the most brutal battles in the entire war and the Russian victory there was a major turning point in WWII. I loved that movie except for the cockney accent they gave Ron Perlman. I guess they felt like since all the other Russians were English actors they had to throw that in, but come on, the guy's from New York.

ALVAREZ6
06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Napoleon Dynamite is extremely overrated.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Napoleon Dynamite is extremely overrated.

it may be overrated, but i'd be hard pressed to name another movie that so perfectly captured what it felt like to be a dork in school and get picked on. plus it is extremely funny.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Underrated: A.I., Punch Drunk Love, Eyes Wide Shut, The Cable Guy, Dawn of the Dead (Original), The Beach

Overrated: When Harry Met Sally, American Beauty, Some Like It Hot, American History X, Fargo, Crash, The Breakfast Club

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Underrated: A.I., Punch Drunk Love, Eyes Wide Shut, The Cable Guy, Dawn of the Dead (Original), The Beach

Overrated: When Harry Met Sally, American Beauty, Some Like It Hot, American History X, Fargo, Crash, The Breakfast Club

For the most part we have completely opposite opinions on most of those. American History X and Fargo are overrated? How? A ton of people haven't even seen those movies, they're not overhyped by any stretch. American History X is underrated if anything.

atxrocker
06-27-2006, 11:31 AM

I completely agree about A.I. ... one of my all time favorite spielberg flicks. Superb acting. Jude Law is really good in it too. Extremely underrated imo. Really never had any desire to watch it at all then caught it on HBO a while back and really liked it.

American History X was a great movie and the only one I disagree with on your overrated list.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Underrated movies: Royal Tenenbaums, Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, Clay Pigeons, Return to Paradise, Nobody's Fool, Trading Places, Open Range, American Wedding, The Big Lewbowski ( I know a lot of people like it, but it is seriously one of the funniest movies ever)

Overrated: Spiderman 1 & 2, The Ring, or just about any Horror Movie for that matter

katyon6th
06-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Underrated: Ghost World

I can't think of anything else right now.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Overrated -- Braveheart; Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, American Beauty, Shaving Ryan's Privates, Ladder 49; too many to name
Underrated -- Armegeddon, Unforgiven (Even though it won Best Picture), Eight Men Out, True Romance, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, The Sandlot, Beavis and Butthead Do America :)

Lebowski Brickowski
06-27-2006, 11:46 AM

Punch Drunk Love was very good.

atxrocker
06-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Overrated -- Braveheart; Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, American Beauty, Shaving Ryan's Privates, Ladder 49; too many to name
Underrated -- Armegeddon, Unforgiven (Even though it won Best Picture), Eight Men Out, True Romance, Donnie Darko, Requiem for a Dream, The Sandlot, Beavis and Butthead Do America :)

braveheart? ah, c'mon dude. one of the best movies ever man. to each their own i guess but wow. the movie is a fuckin classic. gladiator was very good too. and to name the sandlot as underrated? that should be a crime. (i agree in regards to donnie darko though)

dougp
06-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Underrated: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State, Enemy at the Gates, Cable Guy (Don't get why everyone hates on this movie)

Overrated: Titanic, Gladiator, Unbreakable, The DaVinci Code ... there's a lot more, but I'm experiencing the after work brain fart.

And to say LotR is overrated - how? why?

easjer
06-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Overrated: Gladiator, Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Titanic, American Beauty (still enjoyed it), Brokeback Mountain
Underrated: Deep Impact, Midsummer Night's Dream, Love Actually

katyon6th
06-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Underrated: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State, Enemy at the Gates, Cable Guy (Don't get why everyone hates on this movie)

Overrated: Titanic, Gladiator, Unbreakable, The DaVinci Code ... there's a lot more, but I'm experiencing the after work brain fart.

And to say LotR is overrated - how? why?

I totally agree with you on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That movie was freakin' fantastic.

Garden State, though? That movie received a lot of hype.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 12:16 PM
royal tenenbaums was awesome, don't know if it was underrated. life aquatic was a bit meh, but i enjoyed it. certainly the lesser of the wes anderson movies.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 12:16 PM
I totally agree with you on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That movie was freakin' fantastic.

garden state was great until the horrible ending.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Lord of the Rings is just an overblown, overscored special effects Hollywood Blockbuster extravaganza. So dissapointing it was my precioussssss. :) Too bad the movies sucked because the books are sublime and beautiful. I'll forever loathe Peter Jackson.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
royal tenenbaums UNDERrated???????????? how could that overhyped overblown piece of fucking shit college cult classic be Anything but overrated??

It is one of the funniest movies ever, IMO. It is in my personal top 5 or 10 funniest movies of all-time. It is one of those that you can watch 100 times, and still find new things to laugh at, it actually gets funnier the more you watch it. Gene Hackman was absolutely brilliant in that movie.

dougp
06-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Really? I must have missed it :oops I could never find it in a theatre to go see, ended up just waiting to buy it.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 12:35 PM
It is one of the funniest movies ever, IMO. It is in my personal top 5 or 10 funniest movies of all-time:

just curious, how would you rank the wes anderson movies? i'd probably go like this:

tenenbaums
rushmore
bottle rocket
life aquatic

very close between rushmore and bottle rocket.

NASpurs
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Yes Garden State is overrated to me. People always talked about the soundtrack and the movie how great they were and then I watched it and didn't understand what the hype was all about.

And the Matrix movies were overhyped as well. First one was good I think but the rest just sucked.

I thought Primal Fear was a very good movie.

Jekka
06-27-2006, 12:54 PM
I thought Garden State was horribly overrated. When that movie ended I felt like I had just sat through an extended infomercial for the fucking Shins. And as much as I love Natalie Portman, she couldn't save the movie from coming off as cliche. It was just another angsty teen movie to me.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is pretty underrated - and I agree that Punch Drunk Love was very good.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
just curious, how would you rank the wes anderson movies? i'd probably go like this:

tenenbaums
rushmore
bottle rocket
life aquatic

very close between rushmore and bottle rocket.

I don't know if I would put bottle rocket above Life Aquatic, but I wasn't that big of a fan of either of those two. I think that Tenenbaums is his masterpiece, I doubt that he'll ever be able to match it. I liked Rushmore a lot, but it isn't even close to Tenenbaums, but it is way better than the other two.

Have you seen The Squid and the Whale? He produced it, it's pretty good, I'd put it right below Rushmore on the list.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Another underrated movie is Trainspotting.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 01:12 PM
but not as much as VANILLA SKY -- possibly one of the top 25 most overrated movies of all time

I didn't know anyone liked Vanilla Sky. I can't really call it overrated because pretty much everyone agrees that it sucked.

1Parker1
06-27-2006, 01:21 PM
That J Lo and Ben Affleck movie Gigli was highly underrated :lol

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Overrated, Star Wars Episodes I-III. What a disappointment.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
What about Mulholland Drive? I didn't care for it too much. Like American Beauty it had some good performances (and some quality lesbian action) but overall it made no damn sense. I later read something that said that the director intentionally put stuff in there that didn't make sense just to confuse the audience and make them wonder even more. For me that's just a bunch of artistic masturbation.

Ironically, a highly underrated movie is Mulholland Falls.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 02:12 PM

i will have to respectfully disagree with you there. i thought it was a turd up there with the crow 2.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
underrated: blood simple.

SpursWoman
06-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Underrated: Ghost World

I can't think of anything else right now.

I love that movie.

Overrated: American Beauty. Didn't that win like every Oscar imaginable?

SpursWoman
06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
I didn't know anyone liked Vanilla Sky. I can't really call it overrated because pretty much everyone agrees that it sucked.

That movie was horrible.

FromWayDowntown
06-27-2006, 03:04 PM
never mind.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 03:20 PM
What about Mulholland Drive? I didn't care for it too much. Like American Beauty it had some good performances (and some quality lesbian action) but overall it made no damn sense. I later read something that said that the director intentionally put stuff in there that didn't make sense just to confuse the audience and make them wonder even more. For me that's just a bunch of artistic masturbation.

Mulholland Drive kicked ass, that movie is great. I can see how people don't like it, because David Lynch is an acquired taste. If you thought that Mullholand Drive was bad then you would hate Twin Peaks. About the only work of his that isn't a total mind fuck is The Straight Story.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
More Underrated films: Once Upon a Time in America, Miller's Crossing, and A Simple Plan

Highly reccomend all of those.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
The Thin Red Line is Underrated

leemajors
06-27-2006, 04:09 PM
The Thin Red Line is Underrated

that's because no one can sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.

leemajors
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
More Underrated films: Once Upon a Time in America, Miller's Crossing, and A Simple Plan

Highly reccomend all of those.

how about barton fink, the movie they wrote when they had writer's block during miller's crossing. it's probably my favorite movie of theirs.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 04:16 PM
that's because no one can sit through the whole thing without falling asleep.

No shit, I thought that movie sucked ass. I even tried to watch it a second time, it's like somebody drugged me, again. I nodded off both times I watched it.

Kori Ellis
06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Overrated = Forrest Gump

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
how about barton fink, the movie they wrote when they had writer's block during miller's crossing. it's probably my favorite movie of theirs.

I haven't seen that one yet.

DirkAB
06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Overrated = Forrest Gump

Blasphemy.

ChumpDumper
06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Mulholland Drive kicked ass, that movie is great. I can see how people don't like it, because David Lynch is an acquired taste. If you thought that Mullholand Drive was bad then you would hate Twin Peaks. About the only work of his that isn't a total mind fuck is The Straight Story.The thing about Lynch is that half the time he's making up the story as he's shooting. It makes for interesting viewing if you keep that in mind.

MrChug
06-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Overrated: X-Men United

Thoroughly disappointed.

Nbadan
06-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Underrated:

Gattaca - I really believe that movie hit to close to home on the idea of visitors from other planets and has been panned.

The Machinist - Chris wilkins (?) deserved the academy awards for his troubled role, but surprisingly, the movie came and went with little fanfare.

The Day After - kids can't watch this movie enough times

Overrated:

The Davinchi Code - A lot of hype for a mediocre movie.

CuckingFunt
06-27-2006, 08:55 PM
David Lynch, in general, is artistic masturbation. I personally love his films, but seldom spend time arguing with people who don't because they are so intentionally weird that I can understand when people aren't willing to make the leap.

Speaking of Lynch, I'd put Lost Highway on my underrated list.

As for some of the other films I've seen on this forum... I think I must have a different view than many as to how a movie has been received. I've seen lots of films pop up on the underrated side that were critical darlings, but didn't make a huge splash in the box office.

For example, I'd put The Sixth Sense on my list of overrated films because it was so loved by critics and did well in the box office. However, while his subsequent films have been crap, I wouldn't count them as overrated because they've been pretty universally panned in reviews.

Could be I'm overthinking the whole thing. :spin

CuckingFunt
06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Underrated:

Gattaca - I really believe that movie hit to close to home on the idea of visitors from other planets and has been panned.
Good call.

That made me think of eXistenZ, which was also underrated. Filled with Cronenberg weirdness, but solid sci fi. I get huge amounts of crap for liking both of those.

exstatic
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
What? While I agree it's underrrated, it has nothing to do with visitors from other planets. Gattaca is about institutionialized and legal discrimination based on one's DNA profile. Your entire life path was decided by your DNA profile. Your job interview was your blood sample. The contrast of the two characters played by Ethan Hawke (Vincent) and Jude Law (Jerome), in addition to the relationship between Vincent and his genetically perfect brother Anton give lie to the perfection of genetics.

The Title, GATTACA, contains only 4 letters: A, C, G, and T. The four nucleotides that DNA is composed of are:

Adenine (A), Cytosine (C), Guanine (G), Thymine (T)

CuckingFunt
06-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Boyz N The Hood has been remembered as the quintessential "gangsta" film of the 90's, but it is horribly dated to watch today.

Menace II Society, on the other hand, is every bit as powerful as it was 12 years ago but doesn't get the respect that Boyz does.

Anything directed by Steven Speilburg is overrated. As a rule. With the exception of Schindler's List. And A.I., which is a tricky one, as I found the segments with Jude Law's character to be very interesting (and I suspect that was where the Kubrik influence was strongest), but the rest of that movie got so overly sentimental that I was actually angry at having been subjected to it by the time I left the theatre.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Underrated: Dumbo

scott
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
David Lynch? I love his movies, I just don't know what the hell they are about. I remember my exact reaction after Mulholland Drive... "MAN THAT WAS AWESOME... but serious, what the fuck just happened?"

midgetonadonkey
06-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Delta Force is a very underrated movie.

Spurminator
06-27-2006, 09:36 PM
My reaction after Mulholland Drive went something like this....

After the movie: "What the fuck was that piece of shit? I want the last two hours of my life back. But at least the lesbian scenes were nice."

The next day: "I still don't get what that movie was about. I think people just say they like it because they're afraid to feel stupid for not getting it. Elitist douchebags."

A week later: "Surely there was a point to that movie. But what the hell? Did it have to be that bizarre? Who the fuck was that cowboy?"

A month later: "I can't get that stupid midget out of my head. Or that Spanish version of 'Crying'. It was actually a captivating movie, but it was so pointless..."

Two months later: "I need to see it again. I might as well just buy it."

SA Gunslinger
06-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Wasn't Mulholland Drive basically a dream sequence of a suicidal lesbian masturbating to a memory of a lost lover? It's a great movie but like most Lynch films, you have to watch it more than once to catch all the details. My favorite Lynch film will always be Blue Velvet. It's not as abstract like most of his films and the characters are unforgettable.

Underrated Films
Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle
Jean De Florette
Salvador
Chasing Amy
Adaptation
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Carlitos Way
Red
El Mariachi
Slacker
Glengarry Glenross

I will stop there. Too many to list.

exstatic
06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was good on many levels, but you had to pay attention to details and subtext, for example, when they are showing Joel and Clementine "meeting" on the train, it's for the SECOND time. It's not a movie about erasing people from your life that bother you, it's about the complexity of interpersonal relationships, patterns of behavior, and ultimately, acceptance of someone for who they are.

Two disturbing things about the move: 1) Elijah Wood's character...what a creep and a loser. 2) They only really introduced you to 3 characters that had been "erased", and they all went back to the same person!!

midgetonadonkey
06-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Come on, Delta Force people!!! It's very underrated.

TheSanityAnnex
06-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Swimming with Sharks is very underrated.

History of the World Part 1 is underrated.

Hostel is overrated.

House of 1,000 Corpses is underrated.

21 Grams is underrated.

Nbadan
06-27-2006, 11:10 PM
What? While I agree it's underrrated, it has nothing to do with visitors from other planets. Gattaca is about institutionialized and legal discrimination based on one's DNA profile. Your entire life path was decided by your DNA profile. Your job interview was your blood sample. The contrast of the two characters played by Ethan Hawke (Vincent) and Jude Law (Jerome), in addition to the relationship between Vincent and his genetically perfect brother Anton give lie to the perfection of genetics.

Wonderful take on the movie Ex, my reference was to the genetically-altered beings being the only ones selected to go on long-missions. Could ET be a genetically-altered being? This raises some interesting phylosophical questions.

King
06-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Overrated - Boondock Freaking Saints. The movie is decent, don't get me wrong - but people are ALWAYS talking about this movie. Nowhere near deserving of the fanfare it gets.

Under - Donnie Darko, The Machinist

atxrocker
06-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Overrated - Boondock Freaking Saints. The movie is decent, don't get me wrong - but people are ALWAYS talking about this movie. Nowhere near deserving of the fanfare it gets.

Under - Donnie Darko, The Machinist

i completely agree that donnie darko is underrated. however, it is something of a cult classic and has a pretty big following. i thought the movie was excellent.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 12:01 AM

I just watched this moving for the first time like a month ago, and I thouhgt it kind of sucked. Your right the word of mouth reviews were way too high for this silly and marginal flick. I just don't understand what people saw in this movie.

SA210
06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Underrated-

Casualties of War (Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox)
The Insider (Al Pacino and Russell Crowe)
Rudy
Copland (Sly, DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Keitel)
Leon: The Professional (Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman-needs a sequal)
My Life (Michael Keaton)
Life (Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence)
Vanilla Sky
Murder in the First
A Time to Kill
Meet Joe Black
Syriana
Angel Eyes
Riding in Cars with Boys
Magnolia
Legends of the Fall
Pet Semetary
A Nightmare on Elm Street (not the sorry sequals, part 2 was alright, but after that :td)
Heat
Timecop (actually a very good Van Damme movie)
Better Off Dead
Dragon:The Bruce Lee Story
Falling Down (Michael Douglas)
Blown Away (Jeff Bridges, Tommy Lee Jones)
A Perfect World (Clint Eastwood, Kevin Costner)
Greedy (Michael J. Fox)
The Muse (Albert Brooks)
Labrynth :lol
LA Confidential
Mask (Cher, Eric Stoltz)
Midnight Run (awesome movie :tu DeNiro, Charles Grodin)
Multiplicity (Michael Keaton, very funny)
Predator (Arnold)
Rocky I and II
Serendipity
Set It Off
The Shawshank Redemption
The Principal
Lean on Me
Sleepers
Somewhere in Time
Blood In, Blood Out
Stand By Me
Traffic
Crash
The Truman Show
Memphis Belle
The Untouchables
The Wedding Singer
Who Framed Roger Rabbit :lol
Running Scared (Billy Crystal, Gregory Hines)
Lionheart
Made
Bloodsport
Hail Caesar (Anthony Michael Hall, very corny but I love it :lol)
Like Father, Like Son (Dudley Moore, Kirk Cameron)
Mystic River
Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise was robbed of the Oscar on this one)

There are many more. Just what I could do for now.
------------------------------------------------

Overrated

All the "Fast and the Furious" trash.
Pretty much anything "horror" that comes out nowadays.
All the "I Know what You Screamed Last Summer" crap.
Almost anything with Ben Affleck.

Movies mostly suck these days, too many to mention.

jman3000
06-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Nice pick of The Professional ... that's actually one of my favorite movies. Oldman was great in that movie.

atxrocker
06-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Nice pick of The Professional ... that's actually one of my favorite movies. Oldman was great in that movie.

i agree, i really enjoyed the flick. that was before natalie portman grew into her hottness. also on the lists i liked legends of the fall, syriana and the original nightmare on elm street (though i hardly think it was underrated since it was pretty big at the time of its release)

SA210
06-28-2006, 01:02 AM
i agree, i really enjoyed the flick. that was before natalie portman grew into her hottness. also on the lists i liked legends of the fall, syriana and the original nightmare on elm street (though i hardly think it was underrated since it was pretty big at the time of its release)
I agree, I only mentioned it because of all the bad ones that followed it.

jman3000
06-28-2006, 01:09 AM
I hate this underrated/overrated movie thread as much as the funniest movie thread. Everytime somebody mentions a movie, it's like "shit, I like that movie too"

other old school favorites of mine include:

Robocop 1&2 (3 sucked)
TMNT 1&2 (3 sucked)
Terminator 1&2 (3 sucked)
All the Mad Max's (with numero dos being my favorite)

jman3000
06-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I need to hit up Best Buy this weekend.

Nbadan
06-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Underrated:

Man on the Moon - The story of the life of misunderstood comedian Andy Kaufmann, but it's a lounge singer named Tony Clifton that steals the show.

exstatic
06-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Underrated: The Transporter.

Nbadan
06-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Over-rated:

28 Days - Night of the living dead it's not, and the multiple endings made me want that this movie was never made in the first place.

Nbadan
06-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Under-rated:

Munich - It's Stephen Spielberg and the Mossad, 'nough said.

Nbadan
06-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Under-rated:

Hotel Rwanda - If this movie doesn't convince you that genocide is still possible in the 21st century, you haven't been paying attention to the Sudan.

leemajors
06-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I just watched this moving for the first time like a month ago, and I thouhgt it kind of sucked. Your right the word of mouth reviews were way too high for this silly and marginal flick. I just don't understand what people saw in this movie.

it sucks bad.

leemajors
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
another underrated movie is a midnight clear with ethan hawke and gary sinise.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Underrated: The Deer Hunter -Alot of people under 30 have never seen it, which is a crime.

Overrated: The Blair Witch Project/The Royal Tennenbaums (tie) -Both of them sucked balls. Boring as Hell.

CuckingFunt
06-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Just thought of Ravenous, which is a horribly underrated film -- it's dark comedy about cannibalism starring Guy Pearce and Robert Carlysle that is twisted, and grizzly and absolutely hilarious. Worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

GrandeDavid
06-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I find The Warriors both underrated and overrated. But the video game rocks!

polandprzem
06-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Under-rated:

Munich - It's Stephen Spielberg and the Mossad, 'nough said.

I agree.

Underrated - Amistad, Magnolia

leemajors
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
i would say magnolia is terribly overrated, but i think that about all of pta's movies. i couldn't make it through a half hour before turning it off.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
i would say magnolia is terribly overrated, but i think that about all of pta's movies. i couldn't make it through a half hour before turning it off.

That ending of Magnolia was god awful. I don't need to have some vapid airhead who thinks everything he/she says has deep and powerful meaning explain to me that it's a symbol of the postmodern world view in an ever blah blah blah. It was stupid as shit period.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Boogie Nights kicked ass, that movie is underrated.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Just thought of Ravenous, which is a horribly underrated film -- it's dark comedy about cannibalism starring Guy Pearce and Robert Carlysle that is twisted, and grizzly and absolutely hilarious. Worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Did you really think it was funny?
I must've missed the comedic over/undertones in it.
I like the film, but I really didn't see the comedy in it.
:huh

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Over-rated:

28 Days - Night of the living dead it's not, and the multiple endings made me want that this movie was never made in the first place.After reading this, I realized I had posted 28 Days when I really meant 21 grams.

So now I'd like to add 21 grams to the underrated list. And 28 Days fucking sucked.

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Under-rated:

Hotel Rwanda - If this movie doesn't convince you that genocide is still possible in the 21st century, you haven't been paying attention to the Sudan.
Very good movie.

Underrated:

The Serpent and the Rainbow

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
Underrated:

Grizzly Man

atxrocker
06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
After reading this, I realized I had posted 28 Days when I really meant 21 grams.

So now I'd like to add 21 grams to the underrated list. And 28 Days fucking sucked.

props on the 21 grams mention. some people i know didnt like it but i thought it was really good. del toro did a solid job in it.

leemajors
06-28-2006, 12:43 PM
grizzly man is fascinating. you tell yourself over and over how stupid he is but you can't stop watching.

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 12:47 PM
grizzly man is fascinating. you tell yourself over and over how stupid he is but you can't stop watching.Good ol Timothy Treadwell.

I rented this out of curiousity thinking it would probably suck, but there wasn't much else I wanted to see. After the first ten minutes I was glued to my seat. He is one of those people you can't believe exists, and I couldn't stop watching. The Grizzly Man was one of the most interesting and entertaining movies I've ever seen.

Condemned 2 HelLA
06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Over-rated:

28 Days - Night of the living dead it's not, and the multiple endings made me want that this movie was never made in the first place.

"28 Days LATER" (not "28 Days"; that was a Sandra Bullock movie) was a good movie.
I'm a big fan of zombie movies, but that one was NOT a zombie movie. The people were infected, not dead.
So, no, it's definately not "NOTLD".
Plus, the original "Dawn...." was far superior.
And both those Rob Zombie movies were garbage.

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Underrated:

The Hills Have Eyes -Uncut

Spurminator
06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I think 28 Days Later is vastly underrated.

Spurminator
06-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Overrated: Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

(No offense intended, but your avatar did remind me of how underwhelmed I was with that movie.)

Guru of Nothing
06-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Con-man movies lead my list of underrated movies:

Criminal (John C. Reilly is an underrated actor)
Heist
House of Games

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Overrated: Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

(No offense intended, but your avatar did remind me of how underwhelmed I was with that movie.)
I'm strictly a Spicoli fan.

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Underrated:

North Shore (wonderful late 80's surf flick starring Rick Cane from Arizona!!!)

RAD (another great late 80's movie dedicated to BMX)

Top Gun (the last great military movie)

Trainwreck2100
06-28-2006, 04:29 PM
underrated

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images/products/7/33967-large.jpg

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/ghosts-of-mississippi-DVDcover.jpg

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Ghosts of Mississippi is a great movie, but I've never seen Cop and a Half.

Trainwreck2100
06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Ghosts of Mississippi is a great movie, but I've never seen Cop and a Half.

yeah....don't

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Top Gun (the last great military movie)I think Top Gun was just a reworked Officer and a Gentleman.

The last great traditional military movie IMO was The Big Red One. A very underrated film in it's own right, especially given the problems getting it made. Catch the extended version if you can.

TheSanityAnnex
06-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Top Gun is more of a comedy to me now considering how many times I've watched it.

atxrocker
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Con-man movies lead my list of underrated movies:

Criminal (John C. Reilly is an underrated actor)
Heist
House of Games

yeah heist is definitely underrated. the storyline was interesting and hackman was good in it.

Nbadan
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Under-rated:

40 Year old virgin - funnier than Nacho Libre and the Pink Panther combined. Probably would have won an award if comedies got any respect.

CuckingFunt
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Did you really think it was funny?
I must've missed the comedic over/undertones in it.
I like the film, but I really didn't see the comedy in it.
:huh
Definitely funny. The comedy was VERY dark, granted, but it's there. I think that the over-the-top campiness of the film was very much intentional.

pussyface
06-29-2006, 12:19 AM
UNDERRATED: Grizzly Man.
Most overrated anything of all time: boondock saints. dreadful. people love it.

jman3000
06-29-2006, 12:30 AM
am i the only person here who saw grizzly man at a theatre?

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 12:34 AM
am i the only person here who saw grizzly man at a theatre?

am i the only person who has yet to see this fucking movie?

Jekka
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM

That movie scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it - not because of gore or anything, but just because that guy's face is fucking insane!

After a second viewing, however, I would agree it's a pretty good movie. Very cheeky, you have to love all the symbols of and references to Christianity, tied with the main topic of cannibalism.

That scene with the banjo music had me in stitches both times :lol

2centsworth
06-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Underrated:

Gattaca (awesome movie), Devil's Advocate

Overrated:

American Beauty

Spurminator
06-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Overrated: Aliens

Underrated: Black Hawk Down

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I think that the movie Go is underrated.

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I think that the movie Go is underrated.

:tu :tu good movie and the pre-tom cruise katie holmes is hot in it.

leemajors
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
overrated: any tony/ridley scott shaky cam movie.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 01:58 PM
overrated: any tony/ridley scott shaky cam movie.

I like Ridley Scott's movies. Speaking of which, I think The Kingdom of Heaven was a great flick.

Spurminator
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I like Ridley's films, for the most part, but Tony Scott is horrible.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Overrated: Aliens

:madrun

To each his own I suppose. The third and fourth ones in the series were dogs, but the first sequel was a winner in my book.

I'd also like to go on record with a prediction that "Snakes on a Plane" with go on to be a highly underrated film.

Spurminator
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I never saw 3 and 4... I loved the first one, but I thought Cameron missed the great horror element, turning the sequel into more of an action movie.

Plus, I'm always annoyed when "cute little kids" get thrown into the plot for no good reason.

ShoogarBear
06-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Alien and Aliens were different genres, as Spurm points out. I enjoyed both and didn't mind the change from horror to action.

Snakes on a Plane should go on to obliterate the Oscar record of the incredibly overrated LoTR trilogy.

I haven't looked through this thread in a while but I'll have to put
The Right Stuff, Silverado, The Silent Partner, The Addams Family as underrated.

I hope that The English Patient, Out of Africa, LoTRs, Independence Day and . . . I'm gonna say it . . . yes . . . Blade Runner! . . . have already gotten their overrated just due.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 03:59 PM

I liked Man on Fire, Enemy of the State, Spy Game, Crimson Tide, and especially True Romance. That's really not a bad resume.

Spurminator
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Man on Fire was too over-directed, just like The Fan and Domino. I did like Crimson Tide, and I'm sad to say I haven't seen True Romance yet.

I almost mentioned Blade Runner in my last post but decided not too because I saw it as an MPEG file, so I didn't know if I could give it a fair review.

leemajors
06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
I like Ridley Scott's movies. Speaking of which, I think The Kingdom of Heaven was a great flick.

i like his earlier movies, but i can't stand shaky cam. i also like the tony/ridley tv show they produce, numb3rs.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Man on Fire was too over-directed, just like The Fan and Domino. I did like Crimson Tide, and I'm sad to say I haven't seen True Romance yet.

I almost mentioned Blade Runner in my last post but decided not too because I saw it as an MPEG file, so I didn't know if I could give it a fair review.

You need to watch True Romance, it's pretty damn good, the highlight of Christian Slater's sad little career.

Domino might be one of the worst movies I've seen in the last year, it was a huge waste of time. Never seen The Fan in its entirety, nor will I, what I saw was enough.

I've never seen Blade Runner, I really need to see it.

CuckingFunt
06-29-2006, 08:50 PM
I don't know quite how he did it, but Tony Scott managed to make Tarantino's hilarious script for True Romance feel like a bad episode of "Miami Vice." It's a shame. Still love that movie, though, in spite of its horrible direction. Dialog and performances are great.

zero signal
06-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Underrated: SLC Punk.

I say it's underrated because so many people say it's overrated. "Dude, that's not what punk is all about." But it's not about being punk, it's about growing up, and being forced to reconcile your ideal world view with reality.

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 09:06 PM
underrated- cinderella man. this was a great movie that i think got jobbed in the oscars.

leemajors
06-29-2006, 11:44 PM
underrated- cinderella man. this was a great movie that i think got jobbed in the oscars.

i have to disagree with you there, i couldn't watch the whole thing. which makes me want to say:
overrated: ron howard movies.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-30-2006, 12:01 AM
underrated - Alot of John Waters comedies seem to be quite underrated. Pecker, A Dirty Shame, Serial Mom, Female Trouble, Cecil B. Demented, Pink Flamingos and so on.
Other underrated movies - Boxing Helena, A History of Violence, Crash (david cronenbergs), Thriller : A Cruel Picture, Evolution, High Tension, Delicatessen, Brazil....
lots

Nbadan
06-30-2006, 12:39 AM
I don't think you can say that 'Crash' was under-rated, it did win a Oscar for best pic, no?

Under-rated:

Any movie made by Bill Murray after Lost in Translation. Coffee and Cigarette was probably his lamest effort, but the two Garfield movies aside (Bill is Garfield in both), The Lost City, Broken Flowers and The Life Aquadic of Steve Zissou were classics and all under-rated.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
you're talking about the wrong Crash, I'm talking about David Cronenberg's Crash, about car crashes...came out in 96

J.T.
06-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Underrated-

Mallrats. This is defintiely in my top 5 movies, probably some of the best comedy I've ever seen. Watched it a million times and it doesn't get old. I don't get why it was so hated and bashed by critics.

CuckingFunt
06-30-2006, 12:48 AM
underrated - Alot of John Waters comedies seem to be quite underrated. Pecker, A Dirty Shame, Serial Mom, Female Trouble, Cecil B. Demented, Pink Flamingos and so on.
Other underrated movies - Boxing Helena, A History of Violence, Crash (david cronenbergs), Thriller : A Cruel Picture, Evolution, High Tension, Delicatessen, Brazil....
lots
Female Trouble is one of the single funniest movies I've ever seen.

SA Gunslinger
06-30-2006, 02:05 AM
lots

"Do you have a 27 B Stroke 6?"

Brazil is incredible. It's definitely one of my favorite films. Delicatessen is a fun film to watch. Jeunet is a master craftsman. I still marvel at Amelie everytime I watch it.

Another underrated film was The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover.

RogerIsEatingASandwich
06-30-2006, 02:10 AM
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is a great film. I love Brazil. The Criterion Box Set for Brazil is sooooo awesome.

SA Gunslinger
06-30-2006, 02:42 AM
I love Brazil. The Criterion Box Set for Brazil is sooooo awesome.

Man, I wish I was rich enough to buy DVD's on a whim. Maybe I will breakdown and get it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Underrated-

Mallrats. This is defintiely in my top 5 movies, probably some of the best comedy I've ever seen. Watched it a million times and it doesn't get old. I don't get why it was so hated and bashed by critics.

I was wondering when Kevin Smith would enter the discussion. I agree on Mallrats being underrated (and I would add Dogma), but I have to throw Clerks and J & SB Strike Back on the overrated list. I turned off Clerks after half an hour, and Strike Back was completely useless.

leemajors
06-30-2006, 09:08 AM
I was wondering when Kevin Smith would enter the discussion. I agree on Mallrats being underrated (and I would add Dogma), but I have to throw Clerks and J & SB Strike Back on the overrated list. I turned off Clerks after half an hour, and Strike Back was completely useless.

i liked clerks back when i first saw it, but i can't stand it now. way too much talking about nothing.

King
06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
I agree on Clerks - it's a terrible movie. The only Kevin Smith movie I've liked is Dogma. I think he's very over-rated.

Another one is Super Troopers. It is beyond me how anybody thinks that movie is funny. I watched it once in the theaters and thought it was awful. I figured I may have just not been in the right mood. So, I tried it again on DVD, and turned it off after a half hour.

Spurminator
06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
I pretty much agree on Super Troopers. I enjoyed it, but I don't remember a thing about it.

While we're on the subject of overrated comedies... American Pie.

TheSanityAnnex
06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Underrated:

The Big White

Robin Williams is good once again.

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 09:33 AM
The first American Pie was funny....the next 6 or 7? Not so much. :lol

NeoConIV
06-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Underrated: Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. Both Stephen Chow movies.

I was sore from laughing after both of these. Actually had to pause movie at times to clear the tears from laughing so hard so I could see...

Seen them both sober and not very sober at all. If you can avoid being sober while watching these two, you won't regret it!

TheSanityAnnex
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Underrated: Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. Both Stephen Chow movies.

I was sore from laughing after both of these. Actually had to pause movie at times to clear the tears from laughing so hard so I could see...

Seen them both sober and not very sober at all. If you can avoid being sober while watching these two, you won't regret it!I really, really enjoyed Kung Fu Hustle. One of the most entertaining movies I've seen. I will definitely be on the lookout for Shaolin Soccer.

leemajors
06-30-2006, 11:06 AM
maybe you should check on from bejing with love, too.

Taco
07-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Under-rated:

40 Year old virgin - funnier than Nacho Libre and the Pink Panther combined. Probably would have won an award if comedies got any respect.

I saw The 40 Year Old Virgin last night

That was a funny movie :lol

Lebowski Brickowski
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
House of Flying Daggers was brilliant. I don't know why it is so underappreciated.

Of course The Big Lebowski -- alltime top 5 funny movies.

The Kill Bill movies are overrated -- they aren't awful but they are overrated.

Taco
07-12-2006, 12:40 PM

Waxing Lady: We gonna need more wax!
[pause]
Waxing Lady: And cancel all my afternoon appointments!

David: Dude, you look like a man-o-lantern.

Taco
07-12-2006, 12:51 PM

SEPERATED AT BIRTH

http://www.retroduck.com/images/dustin_diamond2.jpg

SCREECH FROM SAVED BY THE BELL

http://www.latinoreview.com/films_2005/universal/40yearoldvirigin/images/40year-28a.jpg

CAL FROM THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN

DirkAB
07-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Sleepers is an underrated movie.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Boyz N The Hood has been remembered as the quintessential "gangsta" film of the 90's, but it is horribly dated to watch today.

Menace II Society, on the other hand, is every bit as powerful as it was 12 years ago but doesn't get the respect that Boyz does.

Anything directed by Steven Speilburg is overrated. As a rule. With the exception of Schindler's List. And A.I., which is a tricky one, as I found the segments with Jude Law's character to be very interesting (and I suspect that was where the Kubrik influence was strongest), but the rest of that movie got so overly sentimental that I was actually angry at having been subjected to it by the time I left the theatre.

Menace II Society was a great movie. One of my all time favorties.

I think Mrs. Doubtfire is underrated too.

Leetonidas
07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, one of my personal comedy favorites, DETROIT ROCK CITY.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Underrated: SLC Punk.

I say it's underrated because so many people say it's overrated. "Dude, that's not what punk is all about." But it's not about being punk, it's about growing up, and being forced to reconcile your ideal world view with reality.

"SLC Punk!" is a GREAT film!
The part when they're in Wyoming trying to buy beer is hysterical!
Another film that I think flies under the radar is "Drop Dead Gorgeous" with Kristen Dunst, Denise Richards, Brittany Murphy and Kirstie Alley.
Great little dark comedy.

Fabbs
07-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Overated: As Good as it Gets. (Boring snoozefest with Jack Wrinkleson and Helen Hunt both winning best actor/actress :lol :lol Hollywood bullshit at its worst.

Kill Bill. Same thing. Twinky Travolta and Uma hype.

Under: Malibus Most Wanted. Lighten up and enjoy the parody of the Whigger Movement.

DirkAB
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Overated:
Kill Bill. Same thing. Twinky Travolta and Uma hype.

Maybe if you actually watched Kill Bill you would know that Travolta wasn't in it.

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-13-2006, 03:36 AM
Anyone see "Lords of Dogtown"?

Fabbs
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Maybe if you actually watched Kill Bill you would know that Travolta wasn't in it.

Oh right. Sorry I missed the bloodfest. Sounds deep. You must have liked it.

I meant Be Cool.

Blake
10-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Watched Undercover Brother last night.

So underrated

DD
10-14-2016, 06:56 AM
Brubaker

Thread
10-14-2016, 07:34 AM
Brubaker

A little too cozy & coy though.

But, Miss Jane Alexander at prime, in that red lipstick with that Southern drawl. I was in love.

Tim Mcintire was excellent
Matt Clark's sequence in Hollywood. He was excellent.
Yaphet Kotto as well.
Redford didn't know how to play it and so it drifted.

DD
10-14-2016, 08:04 AM
A little too cozy & coy though.

But, Miss Jane Alexander at prime, in that red lipstick with that Southern drawl. I was in love.

Tim Mcintire was excellent
Matt Clark's sequence in Hollywood. He was excellent.
Yaphet Kotto as well.
Redford didn't know how to play it and so it drifted.

Jane was the bookkeeper in All the President's Men as well, also (obviously) with Redford. Saw that again last night...Robards was perfect as Ben Bradlee, and I forgot Martin Balsam was in it as well. Holbrook is understandably iconic int hat film, despite only having <5 min of screen time. It's by no means an underrated film (maybe even overrated), but I'm riveted every time

AussieFanKurt
10-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Overrated: Avatar, The Dark Knight Rises, Leon, All Marvel, The Deer Hunter, Saving Private Ryan, Scarface

Chucho
10-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Overrated: Avatar, The Dark Knight Rises, Leon, All Marvel, The Deer Hunter, Saving Private Ryan, Scarface

The Dark Knight is over rated, moreover Heath Ledger's performance may be one of the most criminally overrated performances ever.

Agree wholeheartedly the entire MCU is over rated.

Also over rated- Bill Murray.

spurraider21
10-11-2019, 10:46 AM
underrated: MCU, Shutter Island

spurraider21
10-11-2019, 10:47 AM
overrated: no country for old men, gangs of new york

Spurminator
10-11-2019, 11:08 AM
Overrated: The Mad Max remake

Underrated: The Fountain

Chucho
10-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Under rated: The Prestige, The Watchmen, The Wrestler

AussieFanKurt
10-11-2019, 12:41 PM
underrated: MCU, Shutter Island

how is any MCU underrated :lmao

clambake
10-11-2019, 12:42 PM
THE most underrated movie?

the birdcage

spurraider21
10-11-2019, 12:50 PM
how is any MCU underrated :lmao
the individual films, not so much. i think they're appropriately rated

i dont think people fully appreciate the scope of it. its entirely unprecedented. its not a series like james bond that has a bunch of unrelated movies. there's an overarching story, and connectedness between the films. i mean they've really put comic books on the big screen, and not in the sense that there's a movie about a particular storyline, but in that like reading the comics, you can follow the overall web of stories.

its really unprecedented on the big screen. again, not just talking about the number of films or their box office results. but the ambition of such a massive, long term project and the fact that they're absolutely nailing it. i think that aspect is underrated, particularly when people just brush off the movies as formulaic. the films may be, but the entire MCU... its something else