PDA

View Full Version : Dolan Amused By Brown's Trade Requests

ducks
06-27-2006, 12:08 PM
DOLAN AMUSED BY BROWN'S TRADE REQUESTS

By MARC BERMAN

June 27, 2006 -- Knicks owner James Dolan made a powerful case yesterday that Larry Brown's player personnel suggestions were irrational.

An impassioned Dolan revealed Brown wanted six players waived at season's end, including Stephon Marbury, and also wanted Isiah Thomas to sign 43-year-old ex-Knick Charles Oakley, who hadn't played since 2003-2004 when he bombed out in eight games with the Rockets.

Thomas laughed off the Oakley request, telling Brown the club was rebuilding and Oakley's presence would only take time away from rookie Channing Frye. Brown and his agent Joe Glass did not return phone messages.

After the 23-59 disaster, Brown told Thomas he wanted Marbury, Steve Francis and Jerome James cut, contracts totaling $180 million, including luxury tax. Brown also suggested trades for players that would have added another $100 million to the payroll, believed to include Denver's Kenyon Martin.

By then, Dolan had lost all faith in Brown's trading expertise following the Jalen Rose and Francis debacles.

"Both those trades I spoke to Larry directly," Dolan said angrily. "Both of those trades he was an advocate for. The first one, quote, I'm dying here, I got to have this guy, that's Jalen Rose. The second one, Steve Francis, he said, I'm begging you to do this. No less than three weeks after, that's 80 million worth of transactions, I was told these guys are no good, we have to get rid of them. How do I take that?"

So when Brown made his waive request and made more trade proposals in early May, Dolan was sick to his stomach. "How do I confidently go into that," Dolan said. "Even if I was sure he was right."

"(Brown) said we'd have to do all the trades to be any better and we needed to prove to him we wanted him as coach," Dolan added. "At that point I had real misgivings and could see us with him gone. I had signed him for $50 million. I was very motivated to keep him as coach."

Dolan said he couldn't get Brown to "acknowledge" one mistake, leading to Dolan's decision to withhold the $40 million in claiming he violated his contract. Dolan confirmed The Post's report Glass pushed for David Stern's name to be on the contract. Dolan said Stern knew about the clause. Glass has yet to file the appeal, according to Dolan.

Dolan's case seemed strong, but not his decision to let this drag on 40 days, letting Thomas' and Brown's feud fester publicly.

"There was nothing going on business-wise that we had to do it," Dolan said. "You all know me. I try not to make decisions by what the press says."

[email protected]

ducks
06-27-2006, 12:11 PM
seems to be larry brown is a worse gm then thomas

trade for players then cut them

I see larry could care less if it cost money

jman3000
06-27-2006, 12:17 PM
The Knicks need to have a firesale... and soon. They're getting bogged down in wanting to trade value for value, but the contracts they carry are so horrible that that is a hard task to accomplish. They need to take a page from the Spurs book and trade a big contract for lesser players who have minimal + soon to be expiring contracts.

Drive Like Jehu
06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
I am sure this is part of a post-firing smear campaign.

I would be surprised if any of this is true.

ShackO
06-27-2006, 03:13 PM

What????? He gave um three weeks and besides it is only money, right....LOL

Dosn't sound like there will be much money for Isiah to waste this time...

DarkReign
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I am sure this is part of a post-firing smear campaign.

I would be surprised if any of this is true.

Its all true.

LB is a money-grubbing whore.

ShackO
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM

Trading some of them is as close as it gets to impossible .. Jerome James??WTF???

TDMVPDPOY
06-27-2006, 04:35 PM
brown doesnt give a shit, since its not his money his playin around with

baseline bum
06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
I call bullshit. Brown is made to be the fall-guy for Isiah's stupidity.

ShackO
06-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I think brown may have some fault here........
"Both those trades I spoke to Larry directly," Dolan said angrily. "Both of those trades he was an advocate for. The first one, quote, I'm dying here, I got to have this guy, that's Jalen Rose. The second one, Steve Francis, he said, I'm begging you to do this. No less than three weeks after, that's 80 million worth of transactions, I was told these guys are no good, we have to get rid of them. How do I take that?"

FreshPrince22
06-27-2006, 06:02 PM
That's Larry. In Detroit, he begged for Arroyo, then wouldn't play him after about a week. Asked Joe to trade him. He also called Delfino a "starter in this league", and followed it up by not putting him on the 12-man roster for the playoffs.

He's just fucked in the head.

ShackO
06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Why didn't he ever play Darko??? I never understood why such a high pick couldn't even get garbage time...........?????

Drive Like Jehu
06-28-2006, 09:26 AM
I think brown may have some fault here........

I disagree, all of the recent stories out of Knickland are CYA.

Who was the coach, who was the GM, and who was the owner?

Larry can ask for whatever he wants, but it's Thomas and Dolan's job to make the right decisions.

Gee, I wish my boss would do whatever I asked at a moments notice.

ShackO
06-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I disagree, all of the recent stories out of Knickland are CYA.

Who was the coach, who was the GM, and who was the owner?

Larry can ask for whatever he wants, but it's Thomas and Dolan's job to make the right decisions.
Gee, I wish my boss would do whatever I asked at a moments notice

~~~shrug~~~:elephant

OK, you don't agree............

He and Isiah both had (to much) respect for the man..... and they listened to "his wisdom".... I guess they know now it was not a good idea, and it is not like they were making the greatest decisions prior to that anyway...lol

Gee, I wish my boss would do whatever I asked at a moments notice......... He prob wont if he reads that article.....:spin

Drive Like Jehu
06-28-2006, 11:08 AM
......... He prob wont if he reads that article.....:spin

Exactly, I'm sure my last post was the reason why I can't go home after lunch today...

If only I hadn't been such a fool and disagreed with you!

Trainwreck2100
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Larry's gettin thrown under the bus

bdubya
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Wow. If I were directing a biopic of Larry Brown, in every scene set after 2005, I'd have the Twilight Zone music in the background as soon as he enters the room.

ShackO
06-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Lmao!!!!!!!!!

ShackO
06-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Larry's gettin thrown under the bus

and without his 30 or 40 mill......................... :spin

Please_dont_ban_me
06-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm probably in the minority here...

But I don't think the additions were bad. Yes they're salary cap fucked, but don't be surprised if you see them at .500 knocking on the door of the playoffs this year...

clubalien
06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
come on darko is the WORST draft pick ever

carmelo, dwade, would have both been better than darko

don't tell me prince was worth losing out on those players

Please_dont_ban_me
06-28-2006, 04:49 PM
come on darko is the WORST draft pick ever

carmelo, dwade, would have both been better than darko

don't tell me prince was worth losing out on those players

It's easy to say that now.

At the time not too many people agreed with you, though.

IcemanCometh
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
dolan is dicklicker