PDA

View Full Version : The Smiths

Amuseddaysleeper
06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
One of my favorite bands of all time. I've always been curious to what some of you other Spurs fans listen to, and was wondering for to those that are familiar with the band on what you thought of them.

Jules
06-27-2006, 06:56 PM
I dug The Smiths when I was growing up. Morrissey was a unique individual; he was flamboyant, celibate, vegan and seemingly intelligent. Now that I think about it, he was hysterical. I hung out with him a couple of months ago and I'm still amazed by his huge following. Although he's long past the obscure days of the 80's, I’m not certain how much his music has evolved.

These days, I listen to a variety of artists and genres. I dig Mos Def, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Femi Kuti, Lila Downs, The Roots and Swollen Members. I still rock the Brit pop, shoe-gazing sounds of Ride, Blur, Lush, Echo & The Bunnymen, Mojave 3, Slowdive, Chapterhouse and James.

Jekka
06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Oh I love the Smiths - very few others can make depression sound so happy (Belle and Sebastian are on that list as well).

Best Smiths love song - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out:
"And if a double decker bus
crashes into us
To die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die.
And if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
Well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine."

Amuseddaysleeper
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
I dug The Smiths when I was growing up. Morrissey was a unique individual; he was flamboyant, celibate, vegan and seemingly intelligent. Now that I think about it, he was hysterical. I hung out with him a couple of months ago and I'm still amazed by his huge following. Although he's long past the obscure days of the 80's, I’m not certain how much his music has evolved.

These days, I listen to a variety of artists and genres. I dig Mos Def, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Femi Kuti, Lila Downs, The Roots and Swollen Members. I still rock the Brit pop, shoe-gazing sounds of Ride, Blur, Lush, Echo & The Bunnymen, Mojave 3, Slowdive, Chapterhouse and James.

wow you got to hang out with him!?! I'd kill to chill with Morrissey! What's he like in person? And the music if anything has degressed since he's gone solo, which is not to say it's bad or anything, it's just that without Johnny Marr it's a lot less edgy.

and yes Jekka, "There is a light that never goes out" is a gorgous song and it's funny that you mention Belle and Sebastian cuz I saw them in concert a few months ago! :spin

Jekka
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
and yes Jekka, "There is a light that never goes out" is a gorgous song and it's funny that you mention Belle and Sebastian cuz I saw them in concert a few months ago! :spin

Sweet - I'd like to see them one of these days. I listened to "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying" a lot in high school :lol

Jules
06-28-2006, 12:32 PM
wow you got to hang out with him!?! I'd kill to chill with Morrissey! What's he like in person? And the music if anything has degressed since he's gone solo, which is not to say it's bad or anything, it's just that without Johnny Marr it's a lot less edgy.

Morrissey is quite charming, humble and has a great sense of humor. He is an ordinary cat... aside from being Morrissey!

PakiDan
06-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Oh I love the Smiths - very few others can make depression sound so happy (Belle and Sebastian are on that list as well).

Best Smiths love song - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out:
"And if a double decker bus
crashes into us
To die by your side
is such a heavenly way to die.
And if a ten ton truck
kills the both of us
Well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine."

DEja Vu - didn't we have this exact same conversation Jekka?? I have been pretty much nearly obsessed with the Smiths/Morrissey for about 15 years now. I've seen the Moz in Vegas, and Houston. MR Dio and I saw him at the House of Blues @ Mandalay Bay... Awesome experience.

PakiDan
06-28-2006, 01:26 PM

Wow, I always think it's pretty cool when I discover a fellow Smith's follower!! I agree with Jess - There is a Light.... is definately one of the best. Morrissey has used that one as his encore the past few tours. I've always been partial to Reel Around the Fountain from the first album... "I dreamt about you last night.... and I fell out of bed twice..."

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Recorders of the greatest track of all time, How Soon Is Now? , The Smiths are a band that every generation discovers and finds room for in their regular playlist.

Jekka
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
DEja Vu - didn't we have this exact same conversation Jekka?? I have been pretty much nearly obsessed with the Smiths/Morrissey for about 15 years now. I've seen the Moz in Vegas, and Houston. MR Dio and I saw him at the House of Blues @ Mandalay Bay... Awesome experience.
Haha, did we really have that conversation? :lol

And House of Blues, very nice. :tu Smaller venues rock - Manny and I saw Vienna Teng at a house-sized "club" in La Grange and it was amazing.

pussyface
06-28-2006, 07:23 PM
"hand in glove" is a great soundtrack/theme for gay anal sex

pussyface
06-28-2006, 07:24 PM
it seems like the Smiths are pretty much the preferred band on message boards across the internet

DJREN37
06-29-2006, 08:35 AM
My all time fav is Suedhead, and second is of course Big Mouth strikes again. Smiths still my faves but also listen to: Bronski Beat, Tiesto, David Morales, Bob Marley, Section 25, Lazarus(goodby horses-in Silence of the Lambs), Divine, Dominatrix. Those are a few faves, ipod is loaded with good stuff like this but always end up clicking in on Smiths.

DJREN37
06-29-2006, 08:41 AM
I saw the Smiths in Houston back in 1984 at Rockefellers, a small venue that hosts many up and comers, but Smiths were already big in Europe, best show i have ever been to, only about 300 in the crowd. Next day got their autographs while shopping in The Dream Merchant, i bought the same Creepers shoes that Morrisey was getting. Black pattent leather with zebra skin on top with 2 inch sole and sterling buckle.