PDA

View Full Version : Hip-hop producer faces Dubai drug charges

GrandeDavid
06-27-2006, 07:09 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/06/27/dubai.austin/index.html

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (CNN) -- Grammy-winning hip-hop producer Dallas Austin faces drug possession charges in the United Arab Emirates that could land him a lengthy prison term, Middle Eastern legal sources said Tuesday.

Austin, 34, was the producer behind TLC, one of the biggest R&B groups of the 1990s.

The New York Daily News reported last week that Austin has been held in Dubai since May 19, when he was arrested at the airport en route to a birthday party for British supermodel Naomi Campbell at one of the country's hotels.

A police official who requested anonymity told The Associated Press that Austin had an unspecified amount of cocaine in his possession.

The U.S. State Department warns travelers the UAE's strict anti-drug laws can bring sentences of up to 15 years for simple possession.

Austin appeared in court last week for a first hearing and is due to appear again Sunday, his lawyer told the AP.

His studio in Atlanta, Georgia, referred calls to a publicist, who did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Austin won a Grammy in 1999 for the TLC's "Fanmail," which was named the year's best R&B album. He went on to craft songs for Madonna, Michael Jackson, Fishbone, Gwen Stefani and Pink.

He also was a producer on the movies "Drumline," released in 2002, and "ATL," released earlier this year.

A State Department official said the government is aware of Austin's case and that the U.S. consulate in Dubai is providing all possible assistance.

The official said U.S. privacy laws prevented him from offering further details.

CNN's Caroline Faraj in Dubai and Elise Labott in Washington contributed to this report.

GrandeDavid
06-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Bro, whatever possessed you to travel to a foreign country with drugs on you? Are you mindless? Are you that ignorant and arrogant? What a lethal combination!

GrandeDavid
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
There's an outside shot I may be travelling to Dubai this year still. Call me old-fashioned, but I plan on sticking to just drinking socially.

AlamoSpursFan
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
This guy's name is Dallas Austin?

What? Was Schulenberg Hallettsville taken?

:lol

"Yo, yo, yo, dawg...I be Lampassas El Paso!"

AlamoSpursFan
06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Cut-and-Shoot Falfurrias?

Frisco Corsicana?

Lubbock New Braunfels?

Houston Pasadena?