PDA

View Full Version : Spain's Garbajosa to join NBA

Pistons < Spurs
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
MALAGA, Spain (Ticker) - Spain international Jorge Garbajosa has confirmed he is heading to the NBA next season.

The Unicaja Malaga forward is set to join the Toronto Raptors where he will play alongside Spain teammate Jose Manuel Calderon.

"I haven't signed the contract yet because it cannot be done until July 1st," Garbajosa said in a press conference. "This is a new challenge for me, I am going to compete in the best league in the world and I cannot turn down this opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
"This train only comes once and I have to take it. I hope the Unicaja fans understand my position and that they accept my decision."

Garbajosa, who averaged 19.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in 18 Euroleague games this past season, is under contract with the Liga ACB for a further two seasons but announced that he will pay his buyout clause of an estimated at $2.25 million.

The 28-year-old is now planning to fly to Canada to negotiate his contract.

"In the next few days, I will travel to Toronto to meet the club, get to know the city, speak to them and try to begin my adventure there."

Garbajosa's arrival is another sign of the influence of Maurizio Gherardini, the new assistant general manager of Toronto who spent the previous 14 years with Benetton Treviso in Italy.

The 6-8 Garbajosa spent four years with Benetton, collecting the MVP award in the Coppa Italia before moving to Unicaja in the summer of the 2004.

Toronto is expected to select Benetton's forward Andrea Bargnani with the first pick in Wednesday's NBA draft.

Unicaja had hoped that Garbajosa would reconsider his decision after having played a pivotal role for the club to clinch the Spanish league title this season.

The Spanish international, who earlier this week was selected for Pepu Hernandez's FIBA World Championship squad, was voted the MVP in the ACB final playoffs.

"I thank the club for their effort they have made to try to keep me," he said. "I don't rule out in the future returning to this club."

Garbajosa will add to the growing Spanish influence in the NBA. In addition to the Raptors' Calderon, Pau Gasol has established himself as the Memphis Grizzlies' most recognizable face. Last year, the Orlando Magic drafted forward Fran Vazquez in the first round.

Barcelona's Juan Carlos Navarro is also eager to head to North America, but has been told he must pay his own release clause if he wants to leave.

Solid D
06-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Great news for Toronto. They've drafted some nice talent and now a possible great FA signing. Garbajosa is intense and he can even dominate in spurts.

They also have Ukic's rights, if he can ever raise his play to NBA-level.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Is that pronounced Garbage-osa? pls tell me it isn't. This is a Barbosa spoof isn't it?

velik_m
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Is that pronounced Garbage-osa? pls tell me it isn't. This is a Barbosa spoof isn't it?

spanish: j=h

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh ok thanks like w is pronounced v in German. Thanks.

shyne
06-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Whats up with Fran Vazquez is he gonna come to Orlando this year?

ducks
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
maybe he can get rasho to be agressive

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2006, 02:26 PM
his buyout is lower tham scolas, fuck TAU

furry_spurry
06-29-2006, 01:22 AM
In the course of one week- Toronto added 3 players from Europe- all of whom have played in Italy- and an Italian GM.

They already have another Spaniard on the team and hold the rights to a Croatian and a Slovenian.

They need a point guard and then they can call it quite a successful off-season.

BgT
06-29-2006, 08:00 AM
They already have another Spaniard on the team and hold the rights to a Croatian and a Slovenian.
A Slovenian who plays PF. I think this guy will never play in Toronto.

furry_spurry
06-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Colangelo said in the press conference today that when he had dinner with Rasho a couple of nights ago that Rasho specifically discussed how he would help Andrea adjust from Europe to the NBA-- being as he had made that transition himself-- doesn't hurt that Rasho speaks Italian. I think that part of the reason that Toronto was interested in Rasho was because of the organization's interest in bringing in more players from Europe into the international city that is Toronto and how Rasho could assist in the adjustment of some of these guys. Intriguing-- Rasho could end up helping with the development of a #1 draft pick. :) Their personalities will definitely mesh.