PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' needs likely met outside draft

loveforthegame
06-28-2006, 12:46 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062806.1C.spursdraft.1b21673.html

Spurs' needs likely met outside draft

Web Posted: 06/28/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Barring a trade, the only buzz the Spurs expect to generate in tonight's NBA draft will come not from their pick but from the caffeine they'll need to ingest to make it.

"At (No.) 59, we probably won't even be on TV," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "They'll probably just put a trailer on the bottom of the screen during a commercial."

Not that it matters. For the past seven years, whether it be Manu Ginobili in 1999 or Ian Mahinmi last season, each of the Spurs' draft picks has elicited the same response from fans: Who?

This season, the Spurs could have reason to ask the same question. With only the next-to-last pick — they surrendered their first-round choice to New York in the 2005 trade for Nazr Mohammed — they may not know who's available until midway through the second round.

"When you're sitting at No. 59," Spurs assistant general manager Sam Presti said, "what you're trying to do is figure out what's falling from the top down and what could find its way to you."

The Spurs have explored scenarios to move into the first round — or higher in the second — if a player they like starts to fall. But as of late Tuesday afternoon, their discussions remained hypothetical. Last season, they tried unsuccessfully to acquire a second first-round pick to take either Danny Granger or Joey Graham.

Spurs' pick: No. 59 out of 60 overall (No. 29, second round). The Spurs sent their first-round pick to the Knicks as part of the Malik Rose-for-Nazr Mohammed trade in 2005.

"What you want to do is make sure you're prepared and capable of making a move if there's someone there you think can really help the program," Presti said. "There's some legwork that goes into it, albeit most of the time it gets washed away based on how the draft breaks.

"That's why there's seven phones in our draft room because there's that many conversations going on."

Some of those talks have involved the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola, whom the Spurs drafted in the second round in 2002. Scola's buyout with his Spanish team, Tau Ceramica, has been negotiated down to $3.5 million, but the Spurs are open to trading his rights given the glut of power forwards on their roster.

After trading Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams last week, the Spurs don't have a true center. Team officials think they would have a better chance to fill that and other needs (a third point guard and an athletic swingman) through a trade or in free agency than in tonight's draft.

"The likelihood of finding an impact player at 59," Presti said, "obviously is not high."

Cincinnati's James White, a 6-foot-7 guard, one of the draft's best athletes, was among the players the Spurs worked out the past two weeks. They had interest in Swiss swingman Thabo Sefolosha last season before he pulled out of the draft.

Sefolosha has improved enough that some analysts have him being taken in the middle of the first round. White is expected to be a late first- or early second-round pick.

Marquette forward Steve Novak, West Virginia forward Kevin Pittsnogle, Minnesota guard Vincent Grier and South Carolina guard Tarence Kinsey are among the players the Spurs worked out who could be available at their pick. California forward Leon Powe, South Carolina forward Renaldo Balkman, Serbian center Kosta Perovic, Russian forward Vladimir Veremeenko, Croatian forward Damir Markota and Israeli forward Lior Eliyahu are other options.

Of the past 12 players the Spurs have taken for themselves, all but two were born outside the United States. The franchise has had particular success drafting international players and leaving them overseas to develop.

In 1999, the Spurs took guard Gordan Giricek, who plays for Utah, and Ginobili with the 40th and 57th picks. In the coming weeks, they expect to sign Lithuanian center Robertas Javtokas, whom they drafted 56th in 2001. Scola also was taken 56th.

Three more of the Spurs' recent draft picks — Mahinmi, Viktor Sanikidze and Sergei Karaulov — will play on their summer-league team next month, though all will return to Europe for at least one more season. The Spurs targeted Mahinmi early last season and convinced him to stay in the draft so they could take him at No. 28.

Drafting 59th, however, offers no guarantees.

"We're in a position this year," Presti said, "where we're really at the mercy of the rest of the league."

T Park
06-28-2006, 12:55 AM
the CIA decoder ring exploded trying to decipher this.

SsKSpurs21
06-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Sergei Karaulov

how come noone ever talks about this guy...i dont even know who he is. anyone know anything about this guy?

i hope sanikidze does well and he fills in the void at the 3 that we can focus on a C and the third PG.

velik_m
06-28-2006, 01:00 AM
the CIA decoder ring exploded trying to decipher this.

let me help you: Spurs will get a long 3 in this draft and he'll make an instant impact.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 01:03 AM
how come noone ever talks about this guy...i dont even know who he is. anyone know anything about this guy?He plays in the Russian B league. You don't need to know anything else about this guy unless he blows up in Utah.
i hope sanikidze does well and he fills in the void at the 3 that we can focus on a C and the third PG.I wouldn't hold my breath for that this season.

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 01:05 AM
the CIA decoder ring exploded trying to decipher this.Wild guess: we have a deal in the works to swap 2nd rounders with Minnesota.

MannyIsGod
06-28-2006, 01:07 AM
the CIA decoder ring exploded trying to decipher this.:lol

Well, there will be no Sandikidze next year according to that article

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 01:10 AM
how come noone ever talks about this guy...i dont even know who he is. anyone know anything about this guy?

i hope sanikidze does well and he fills in the void at the 3 that we can focus on a C and the third PG.

I did a big huge post and research on him (Sergei Karaulov) before I left Spurs Report. He doesn't look very good (averaging like 2ppg) but get this, a couple of years ago he was playing in....ready? Siberia!! No joke. If he ever makes it to an NBA all star game (I know, I know won't happen) that would be one of the greatest stories ever.

"So man where you been playing?"

"Siberia."

"No, man really?"

"The Siberian Basketball League. Seriously."

You can't make shit like that up. Siberia. lol.

T Park
06-28-2006, 02:07 AM
yeah supposedly Kauralov played last year and stunk.

Im shocked that Sanikidze isn't going to be on the roster this year.

I WOULDNT be shocked, to see him signed though.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Interesting article. I'm sure there's some sort of information in there somewhere.

T Park
06-28-2006, 03:14 AM
every third letter, every second sentance.

Weve gotta get some volunteers to enter the CIA and stuff like that, so that we can have a plain and simple offseason for once.

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 08:11 AM
So they're probably trading Parker tonight.

1Parker1
06-28-2006, 08:16 AM
Wow, I'm still amazed that they got Manu at 57. Tonight they have the 59th pick...who knows maybe we'll get a future Manu caliber player :smokin

Bruno
06-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Scola's buyout with his Spanish team, Tau Ceramica, has been negotiated down to $3.5 million

If it's true it's a good news.
We will be able to sign him or he we don't want him, his trade value has raised.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
^^This one's for you 1parker1. Mavs Lover:
[link removed]

picnroll
06-28-2006, 08:37 AM
I wonder if the Spurs showing near total lack of interest in Scola publically is a way of driving his buyout price down.

1Parker1
06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
^^This one's for you 1parker1. Mavs Lover:

:lol I'm really not a Mavs fan...I only have that in my sig cuz of a bet I lost with a certain bear on the forum :depressed

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
i thought it was 3mill, then back up to 4mill, now 3.5mill, which one is it?

would tau do a trade? we give them tp for scola/bargani

picnroll
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
It was reported at 4 million € which is about $5 million so it appears $1 1/2 million has been knocked off so far.

infinite styles
06-28-2006, 09:21 AM
I hope that they can at least trade up to earlier in the second if James White is still there to draft him. I know I've been hyping him for a while on here but dude got skills no doubt.

Quadzilla99
06-28-2006, 09:37 AM
:lol I'm really not a Mavs fan...I only have that in my sig cuz of a bet I lost with a certain bear on the forum :depressed

How long you gotta do that for?

1Parker1
06-28-2006, 09:46 AM
How long you gotta do that for?

I believe until the begining of the season. Until then I must endure the mistaken wrath of fellow Spurs fans such as yourself.

I never realized how mean Spurs fans were!! :( :lol

dbestpro
06-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Move up the second round and draft Pittsnogle, place him in the development league and use him the following year when Bonner becomes a free agent. Good cash move to free up more money for the end of next year.

Das Texan
06-28-2006, 01:21 PM
fun article.

what it means though is beyond me aside from some hidden message that i have no clue about.

other than robertos is coming here in almost all likliehood. thats about all i really could figure out.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 12:16 PM

http://thedraftreview.com/history/drafted2004/images/sergey-karaulov.jpg

7'1

2004: 17.2 ppg - 9.5 rpg - 2.8 bpg

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 12:28 PM
http://thedraftreview.com/history/drafted2004/images/sergey-karaulov.jpg

7'1

2004: 17.2 ppg - 9.5 rpg - 2.8 bpg

spock?

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm wondering if they took that picture from the Proactiv website.