PDA

View Full Version : wally for ai

ducks
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Speaking of blockbusters, the Celtics last night were trying to pull off a trade for the Sixers' Allen Iverson, according to an Eastern Conference GM. Their offer included Wally Szczerbiak, who they're actively shopping, and their first-round selection, No. 7 overall. Philly has been entertaining offers for its superstar scorer over the past few weeks, but the Sixers want an All-Star performer in return.http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/430639p-363049c.html

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I would really like to see AI in Boston, it would be interesting to see how him and Ainge get along. I could see Ainge trying to be a stickler and them not getting along, and then ultimately the owner choosing AI over Ainge. That would be hilarious.

Burn531
06-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I read also that Pierce will not be traded in that deal if it was to happen. Pierce and AI with the young team they got would be fun to watch. A Playoff team? Should be.

ducks
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Celtics may deal for Telfair, or seek Answer later

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

The Boston Celtics are sleeping on one trade while they ponder the potential of a blockbuster deal later this summer involving Philadelphia's Allen Iverson, multiple sources said Tuesday night.

The Celtics have a deal where they can land Portland point guard Sebastian Telfair for the No. 7 pick and injured point guard Dan Dickau. The Celtics need to make this trade by 2 p.m. ET Wednesday to have the picks swapped before the draft. But the Celtics may want to wait to see which player falls to them at No. 7 -- like Washington's Brandon Roy or Gonzaga's Adam Morrison -- before making the trade Wednesday night.

But there is a larger trade hanging over the Celtics' head and the Boston brass has to decide if it wants to acquire Telfair when there is a chance they could land Iverson over the summer.

Boston and Philadelphia have been talking about an Iverson deal, as long as there is a third team involved. Sources said the third team was Utah with the player being Carlos Boozer, but that deal has been tabled. The Boston players involved were Al Jefferson, Gerald Green and Wally Szczerbiak.

Boston and Philadelphia are looking for a third team to see if the deal can be done and the latest team to enter the early talks is Cleveland. But there are contractual hang-ups about involving Drew Gooden in the deal at this stage. That could change in July, according to sources.

Still, the Celtics may make the Telfair trade and then see if Iverson can be done. Regardless, the Celtics will sleep on this decision and may wait until No. 7 is on the clock before making a call.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft...tory?id=2502577

Bob Lanier
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Why? Delonte West is better than Telfair.

NBA Junkie
06-28-2006, 03:19 PM
If the Celtics can basically get Iverson for Wally Szczerbiak, that speaks volumes about Wolves GM Kevin McHale being one of the worst in the league when all he got in return for Wally was Ricky Davis.

There were other players involved in that MIN-BOS deal, but Szczerbo and Davis were the centerpieces in the swap.

That's why I hate mid-season deals as GM's panic and disrupt team chemistry on the fly rather than playing the waiting game in the off-season searching for the better deal.

Maybe I'm not thinking this through carefully, but how many mid-season deals have actually netted teams a championship? The only two I can think of were the Rockets acquisition of Drexler in '95 and the Pistons getting Rasheed in 2004.

MoSpur
06-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Wally for AI is over with, now that they acquired Telfair.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Maybe I'm not thinking this through carefully, but how many mid-season deals have actually netted teams a championship? The only two I can think of were the Rockets acquisition of Drexler in '95 and the Pistons getting Rasheed in 2004.

That is probably because contenders rarely make midseason trades, teams who aren't in contention is another story. I agree that alot midseason trades are panicy and dumb, but the 2 examples you gave were great examples of why they can be more than worth it. High risk high reward.

san antonio spurs
06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
If the Celtics can basically get Iverson for Wally Szczerbiak, that speaks volumes about Wolves GM Kevin McHale being one of the worst in the league when all he got in return for Wally was Ricky Davis.

There were other players involved in that MIN-BOS deal, but Szczerbo and Davis were the centerpieces in the swap.

That's why I hate mid-season deals as GM's panic and disrupt team chemistry on the fly rather than playing the waiting game in the off-season searching for the better deal.

how about nazr for the spurs in 2005.
he was huge, wasn't he?
________
Wellbutrin lawsuit information (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

NBA Junkie
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
Wally for AI is over with, now that they acquired Telfair.

According to ESPN during the NBA draft, it was said that the Iverson to Boston rumor is still a strong possibility and that the Telfair deal won't affect it.

They said to look for the deal to be rekindled sometime after July 1.