PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Quarterbacks you have ever seen?

TheTruth
06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Best 3 I have ever seen (I am only 23 and can't claim to know how good Johnny U and other greats from that era were).

John Elway - Most gifted to ever play, top 3 in yards, completions, and most importantly wins. 2 Superbowls.

Joe Montana - The most clutch QB of all time. Played in some great offenses with a great coach, but WAS the main reason they won those superbowls.

Tom Brady - Joe Montana with about 8 more great years ahead of him.

*Honorable Mention

Peyton Manning - Call me when he wins a ring.

Warren Moon - Very close to Elway in terms of natural ability.

Steve Young - Best throw/pass QB I have ever seen.

Elvis Grbac - JUST KIDDING AHAHAHAHAH FUCK THE CHIEFS!!

sa_butta
06-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Dan Marino-Best QB with no ring. Too many records to list. Very accurate, just never had the running game to break down defenses.

Slinkyman
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
1. Elway
2. Favre
3. Montana

TheTruth
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Favre has done too much the past 3 years to tarnish his legacy.

Slinkyman
06-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Favre has done too much the past 3 years to tarnish his legacy.

no one will remember that just like no one remembers montana's KC years.

2centsworth
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
At their best

1. Staubach
2. Montana
3. Mcnair (at his best I haven't never seen a bigger threat at QB)

Pistons < Spurs
06-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Elway
Dan Fouts
Warren Moon

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Wow. Its hard to say who is the best ever. But if you had a team that was down by 4 with under 2:00 left and you had to drive the length of the field, who whould you want?

Me, in no particular order, Montana, Elway, and Favre.

SA Gunslinger
06-29-2006, 02:46 AM
Dan Marino
Steve Young
Ken Anderson

dougp
06-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Where's Aikman? You even try to include Young, but not him? *sigh*

PaceMonster
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM
defianlty Marino

1.Marino
2.Elway
3.Brady

katyon6th
06-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Elway
Favre
Marino

degenerate_gambler
06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Montana
Staubach
Stabler

NBA Junkie
06-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Fran Tarkenton
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning

Obstructed_View
06-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Dan Marino
Troy Aikman
Warren Moon

tlongII
06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Montana
Elway
Bradshaw

DallasFan
06-29-2006, 04:51 PM
1) Dan Marino
2) Joe Montana
3) Troy Aikman

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

John Elway
Warren Moon
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Brett Favre

East Coast Babe
06-30-2006, 03:35 AM
1) Joe Montana
2) Troy Aikman
3) John Elway

Honorable Mentions:

Brett Favre
Dan Marino
Steve Young
Roger Staubach

SA Gunslinger
06-30-2006, 04:22 AM
Dan Marino - The Best Pure Passer. Like Kevin Costner's proclomation that the gods came down and make Nuke Lalush's left arm a thunderbolt in the movie Bull Durham, I think the same could be said about Dan Marino and his right arm. He had the quickest release I have ever seen. I have been told Joe Willie would give Dan a run for his money. Marino could make all the throws and his awareness is top five all-time. He was the only QB to beat the '85 Bears. Yeah, he never got a ring. But imo, he's the best ever.

Steve Young - The Best Overall Quarterback. Football is a team sport and a great quarterback is a great quarterback. If you could create the perfect quarterback, you would first look at arm strength, release, and accuracy. Next, you will probably look at awareness, charisma and savyness. Toughness, mobility, and intelligence would be the last attributes that would concern you. Steve Young had it all. He was the complete package. You put him into the perfect situation and he will get you a ring like he did in '94.

All the haters can hate that he didn't win one before that season. But Ricky Waters and Harris Barton does not equal Emmitt Smith and Eric Williams. Yet he still won it in '94 with the help of Deion. Imo, Steve Young>>Troy Aikman.

Ken Anderson - The Best Overall Strategist. From 1980-1984, Ken Anderson was the less talented Peyton Manning. He always made the right reads, the right audibles, and like Marino's quick release, Anderson's accuracy is legendary. He didn't have the physical tools like Marino or Young, but he was incredible when he was on. Dan Fouts is number two because he threw too many picks. Anderson always made the defense stop him.

leemajors
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
warren moon threw the best spiral i have ever seen, hands down.

DallasFan
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Dan Marino - The Best Pure Passer. Like Kevin Costner's proclomation that the gods came down and make Nuke Lalush's left arm a thunderbolt in the movie Bull Durham, I think the same could be said about Dan Marino and his right arm. He had the quickest release I have ever seen. I have been told Joe Willie would give Dan a run for his money. Marino could make all the throws and his awareness is top five all-time. He was the only QB to beat the '85 Bears. Yeah, he never got a ring. But imo, he's the best ever.

Steve Young - The Best Overall Quarterback. Football is a team sport and a great quarterback is a great quarterback. If you could create the perfect quarterback, you would first look at arm strength, release, and accuracy. Next, you will probably look at awareness, charisma and savyness. Toughness, mobility, and intelligence would be the last attributes that would concern you. Steve Young had it all. He was the complete package. You put him into the perfect situation and he will get you a ring like he did in '94.

All the haters can hate that he didn't win one before that season. But Ricky Waters and Harris Barton does not equal Emmitt Smith and Eric Williams. Yet he still won it in '94 with the help of Deion. Imo, Steve Young>>Troy Aikman.

Ken Anderson - The Best Overall Strategist. From 1980-1984, Ken Anderson was the less talented Peyton Manning. He always made the right reads, the right audibles, and like Marino's quick release, Anderson's accuracy is legendary. He didn't have the physical tools like Marino or Young, but he was incredible when he was on. Dan Fouts is number two because he threw too many picks. Anderson always made the defense stop him.

I totally agree with 'ya except the Aikman statement...it's not his fault he had one of the best running backs in NFL history (maybe we need a thread for that), and Erik Williams didn't block the entire front defensive line by himself. :king

It's kinda sad that Troy and Emmitt don't get their earned respect due to their offensive line.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2006, 10:38 AM
There was nobody more accurate in a big game than Troy Aikman. I don't know what his career playoff completion percentage was, but I bet it was top three. It doesn't matter how good your offensive line is, they can't complete the passes for you. If he hadn't had Emmitt behind him, he'd most likely have another 15-20 thousand passing yards.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Tom Brady/Steve Young (tie)

TheSanityAnnex
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Dan Fouts pities these lists.

DallasFan
06-30-2006, 12:02 PM
There was nobody more accurate in a big game than Troy Aikman. I don't know what his career playoff completion percentage was, but I bet it was top three. It doesn't matter how good your offensive line is, they can't complete the passes for you. If he hadn't had Emmitt behind him, he'd most likely have another 15-20 thousand passing yards.

Thank you... :smokin

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 08:52 AM
no one will remember that (speaking of Favre's bad play recently) just like no one remembers montana's KC years.

Favre ain't got 4 rings and Joe Cool never threw 6(!) picks in a playoff game.

Supreme Allah
07-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Brett Favre, Doug Pederson, and Craig Nall

Horry For 3!
07-02-2006, 12:56 PM
John Elway, Dan Marino, Bart Starr

SA Gunslinger
07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
John Elway, Dan Marino, Bart Starr

You are going by NFL Films, right? :lol

TheTruth
07-03-2006, 08:53 AM
lololollol:lmao

johnsmith
07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Elway
Montana
Marino

Honerable Mention
Aikman
Unitas
Young
Brady (although he may end up at the top of the list)
Manning

johnsmith
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Furthermore, Elway was hands down better then anyone ever. The only quarterback I can see a plausible argument with is Montana. I have trouble going back and forth between Montana and Elway. Aikman doesn't belong in the conversation due to the talent around him as well his longevity, or lack thereof. Don't get me wrong, Aikman was an awesome quarterback, top 10 even, but the only people you'll ever hear say Aikman was the best are from Texas, which I can't see as pure coincedence. Watch shows like PTI, Around the Horn, Sports Century, they all compare Elway and Montana without ever mentioning Aikman and I have a feeling that they've seen a few more games then we ever have.

Horry For 3!
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I just put down Top 3 QBs that I think, not necessary seen but yes I have seen film on him. Also, my grandpa has talked about him a lot.

Mixability
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I just put down Top 3 QBs that I think, not necessary seen but yes I have seen film on him. Also, my grandpa has talked about him a lot.

"My grandpa says he's good, so nyah!"

classic horry, fucking douche. :lol

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Manning Marino Montana

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Manning? Hell no...

Montana, Favre and Elway

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Quincy Carter, Akili Smith, Andre Ware

07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
I can go one better: Joey Harrington, Andre Ware and Chuck Long

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Eric Crouch

07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Shaun King, Scott Mitchell, Stoney Case

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Scott Mitchell actually had a couple of good season with the lions, Shaun king had his year wit the bucs, Stony Case was a douche

07-05-2006, 06:04 PM
SM still sucked with all the talent he was surrounded with...

The Lions signed and cut SK this spring...

Case made Harrington look like Johnny Unitas...

I haven't even mentioned Rick Mirer yet...

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Todd Marinovich

scott
07-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Tom Brady
Brady Quinn
Greg Brady

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Furthermore, Elway was hands down better then anyone ever. The only quarterback I can see a plausible argument with is Montana. I have trouble going back and forth between Montana and Elway. Aikman doesn't belong in the conversation due to the talent around him as well his longevity, or lack thereof. Don't get me wrong, Aikman was an awesome quarterback, top 10 even, but the only people you'll ever hear say Aikman was the best are from Texas, which I can't see as pure coincedence. Watch shows like PTI, Around the Horn, Sports Century, they all compare Elway and Montana without ever mentioning Aikman and I have a feeling that they've seen a few more games then we ever have.

It's funny that someone would say Elway is the greatest in one breath and then say Aikman is overrated because of the talent around him. Elway couldn't beat anyone but the Browns without TD and wouldn't be in the conversation without the Super Bowl rings that TD gave him. It's also amusing that everyone just forgets that Joe Montana had a receiver that was so good he put Joe AND his backup in the hall of fame.

By the way, I looked it up and Aikman is third all time for playoff completion percentage (63.8) and first all time for Super Bowl completion percentage (70). If hitting 7 out of every ten passes in three trips to the biggest game of the year against the best competition isn't enough to put Aikman in the discussion, then the people discussing it don't know what they are talking about, whether or not they are on ESPN.

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Both Aikman and Elway won rings when they had domintating running games. It's much easier to throw the ball when you keep the defense off balance.

Elway was better than Aikman. I don't think you can even argue that point. Elway had all the tools a great QB needed to win. But his problem was his relationship with Dan Reeves. If he had the relationship, Marino had with Shula, Elway would be hands down the greatest ever.

I really can't argue with people who think Montana was the greatest because he didn't have a dominating running game or a dominating defense. But Montana was blessed with a head coach that probably influenced the game more than anyone since Vince Lombardi.

scott
07-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Greg Brady broke Marsha's nose without a running game.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure why someone would think that a case can't be made for Aikman. He was just as highly regarded coming out of college, he was at least as dominant and it took the unluckiest five minutes in the history of football to keep him from winning four straight super bowls. Elway had a stronger arm and was a better runner, but if athletic ability is the question, Randall Cunningham needs to be mentioned at some point.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Greg Brady broke Marsha's nose without a running game.
Peter broke her nose, Greg broke something else...

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure why someone would think that a case can't be made for Aikman. He was just as highly regarded coming out of college, he was at least as dominant and it took the unluckiest five minutes in the history of football to keep him from winning four straight super bowls. Elway had a stronger arm and was a better runner, but if athletic ability is the question, Randall Cunningham needs to be mentioned at some point.

Sure, Cunningham was a freak. But he wasn't consistent enough to be mentioned with the greats. Aikman was better than Cunningham.

Aikman was a great QB. But I don't think you can put him in the same conversation with guys like Elway or Marino. Troy isn't even the best Cowboy QB ever. That distinction belongs to Roger Staubach.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
If you can say Staubach was better than Aikman, then I can damn well say Aikman was better than Elway. Staubach was my favorite player of all time, and even I'm not that much of a homer. :)

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 10:15 PM
If you can say Staubach was better than Aikman, then I can damn well say Aikman was better than Elway. Staubach was my favorite player of all time, and even I'm not that much of a homer.

OK. You win.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
OK. You win.
Wow, I'm allowed to have my own opinion now? Thanks. :tu

Horry For 3!
07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
"My grandpa says he's good, so nyah!"

classic horry, fucking douche. :lol
Wow, classic Danyo, always has to come into a thread and find a post by me so he can masturbate, fuckin fag

scott
07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Peter broke her nose, Greg broke something else...

Fuck, you are right! Nice catch... I hereby revise my top 3:

Tom Brady
Brady Quinn
Peter Brady

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow, I'm allowed to have my own opinion now? Thanks. :tu

I already told you that you won. By the way, I hate the Cowboys with a passion.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I already told you that you won. By the way, I hate the Cowboys with a passion.
You don't fucking say. By the way, I don't give a shit. :lol

SA Gunslinger
07-05-2006, 10:23 PM
You don't fucking say. By the way, I don't give a shit. :lol

Don't make me breakout my Danny White argument. :lol

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 08:46 AM

Danny White was actually about 2 big plays from going to 2 more Super Bowls...in the early '80s...if not for the great Montana, and a collapse against the Eagles. :madrun

...man that would have been our 9th and 10th...

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I'd have probably agreed with you on that. I love watching a fellow Cowboys fan come unglued when you say that White was better than Staubach. It's like suggesting the bible wasn't written by God. If there were a definite number one QB of all time, then we couldn't disagree about it. That isn't much fun.

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
I'd have probably agreed with you on that. I love watching a fellow Cowboys fan come unglued when you say that White was better than Staubach. It's like suggesting the bible wasn't written by God. If there were a definite number one QB of all time, then we couldn't disagree about it. That isn't much fun.

I was watching the "Cowboys day" on NFL Network a few days ago...Staubach was awesome, and just think if he started playing earlier (he started his NFL career at 27 yrs old), and didn't have to retire early...he may have been the greatest of all time, hands down.

I never saw him play, as that was before my time, but he was great! :smokin

Just think if Aikman had been able to scramble like him :king

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
I was watching the "Cowboys day" on NFL Network a few days ago...Staubach was awesome, and just think if he started playing earlier (he started his NFL career at 27 yrs old), and didn't have to retire early...he may have been the greatest of all time, hands down.

I never saw him play, as that was before my time, but he was great! :smokin

Just think if Aikman had been able to scramble like him :king
If Aikman had been under as much pressure as Roger was, he would probably have learned to scramble. About half the pictures of me as a kid have me wearing a number 12 Cowboys jersey.

Mixability
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Wow, classic Danyo, always has to come into a thread and find a post by me so he can masturbate, fuckin fag

You're the one fantasizing about me masturbating...... :lmao

Flamer.

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, Aikman was an awesome quarterback, top 10 even, but the only people you'll ever hear say Aikman was the best are from Texas, which I can't see as pure coincedence.

...and you're from Denver...what a coincidence :angel

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Chad Hutchinson, Ryan Leaf, Eric Crouch

:lmao

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Tom Brady
Brady Quinn
Greg Brady

:drunk

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 01:01 PM
But his problem was his relationship with Dan Reeves. If he had the relationship, Marino had with Shula, Elway would be hands down the greatest ever.

WTF? Dan never won a Super Bowl (wish he had)...dude...I'm pretty sure Elway wasn't thinking of his relationship with Dan Reeves while in the middle of Super Bowls XXI, XXII, and XXIV... :drunk

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Agree :smokin

Randall Cunningham needs to be mentioned at some point.
For what? His running back skills?

SA Gunslinger
07-06-2006, 02:32 PM
WTF? Dan never won a Super Bowl (wish he had)...dude...I'm pretty sure Elway wasn't thinking of his relationship with Dan Reeves while in the middle of Super Bowls XXI, XXII, and XXIV... :drunk

I thought Danny White was underrated. I hated the Cowboys but he brought the Cowboys back from big deficits on several occasions to win games. The two that standout in my mind was the divisional round at Atlanta in the '80 playoffs and opening night of '83 against the Redskins on Monday night.

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 02:37 PM
For what? His running back skills?
The quote was "If athletic ability is the question, Randall Cunningham needs to be mentioned at some point". Don't fucking misquote me and then ask me about it. :lol

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
The quote was "If athletic ability is the question, Randall Cunningham needs to be mentioned at some point":lol

...HOLY CRAP...but athletic ability was not the question... :lol

If you go there, you gotta include Vick, McNair, etc...easy on the profanity dude. :smokin

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
I thought Danny White was underrated. I hated the Cowboys but he brought the Cowboys back from big deficits on several occasions to win games. The two that standout in my mind was the divisional round at Atlanta in the '80 playoffs and opening night of '83 against the Redskins on Monday night.

You are right...he is very underrated. He had his share of bad breaks...

Obstructed_View
07-06-2006, 05:32 PM
...HOLY CRAP...but athletic ability was not the question... :lol

If you go there, you gotta include Vick, McNair, etc...easy on the profanity dude. :smokin
Sigh. This really takes the fun out of debating the issues. I refuse to believe that you are this dumb, but that you instead glossed over the posts without actually reading them.

I was using the Randall Cunningham argument to refute someone bringing up the fact that Elway is somehow better than Aikman because he had a stronger arm or was a better scrambler. If that's the case, then Cunningham is better than both of 'em, which is ridiculous, which was the point I was trying to make. People knock Aikman for being a pocket passer, but for all Michael Vick's talent, everyone wants him to stay in the pocket. It must be harder to do than it looks.

Go back and actually read this time and it will make sense.

DallasFan
07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Sigh. This really takes the fun out of debating the issues. I refuse to believe that you are this dumb, but that you instead glossed over the posts without actually reading them.

I was using the Randall Cunningham argument to refute someone bringing up the fact that Elway is somehow better than Aikman because he had a stronger arm or was a better scrambler. If that's the case, then Cunningham is better than both of 'em, which is ridiculous, which was the point I was trying to make. People knock Aikman for being a pocket passer, but for all Michael Vick's talent, everyone wants him to stay in the pocket. It must be harder to do than it looks.

Go back and actually read this time and it will make sense.

Thanks for not cursing me out... :D I understand where you going now...

I am totally with you on the Aikman thing...everyone that disses him just doesn't get...he had a great line, he had a great running back, he had a great system, blah, blah, blah...so did just about every other great QB...look at Montana...he even had the best receiver of all time that scrapped up a ton of YAC yards and TDs...Vick would be a great QB if he wouldn't rush out of the pocket everytime. He has a cannon and tremendous accuracy at times, but he runs TOO much.

johnsmith
07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Aikman was not better then Elway, that's just an absurd argument. I bet if a poll was put up on ESPN, the vote would be 80% to 20% in favor of number 7. Furthermore, if a poll was offered to every sports journalist in the country, and I'll remind you that journalists are "supposed" to be watching all teams, then the vote would be 90/10 in favor of Elway.
Finally, I love this argument, no matter what players or positions you are talking about, this argument is so much damn fun. This is why the NFL is so much better then any other sport in America right now because you can start an argument in less then 30 seconds and the argument can last months.

DallasFan
07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Aikman was not better then Elway, that's just an absurd argument. I bet if a poll was put up on ESPN, the vote would be 80% to 20% in favor of number 7.
Still doesn't PROVE anything though does it...everyone has their own opinion. Truth be known, each was special and imperative to each of their respective teams. They were both great, and had things about them that made them unique and great.

I still like Marino better than any other QB though... :king

Finally, I love this argument, no matter what players or positions you are talking about, this argument is so much damn fun. This is why the NFL is so much better then any other sport in America right now because you can start an argument in less then 30 seconds and the argument can last months.

Yes, it is fun...let's do an all-time running backs, wide receivers, etc... :smokin

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Aikman was not better then Elway, that's just an absurd argument. I bet if a poll was put up on ESPN, the vote would be 80% to 20% in favor of number 7. Furthermore, if a poll was offered to every sports journalist in the country, and I'll remind you that journalists are "supposed" to be watching all teams, then the vote would be 90/10 in favor of Elway.
In a poll that WAS put up on ESPN, Tim Duncan wasn't even listed as one of the top six players in the NBA. You ain't gonna convince me with that one. People vote for Ted Kennedy too. People are idiots.

valluco
07-08-2006, 10:42 PM
1. Montana
2. Elway
3. Moon

ducks
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
bump

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
bump

You son of a bitch.

ducks
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
why I was looking to see if you had this debate
can not help if I am faster then you

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 02:37 PM
why I was looking to see if you had this debate
can not help if I am faster then you

No, I'm just joking with you, I meant like you son of a bitch for bringing this argument back.

ducks
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
oh

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Babe Laughenberg, Dan Pastorini, Steve Spurrier... Best NFL QBs of all Time. Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit.

johngateswhiteley
09-25-2006, 02:57 PM
1. Favre
2. Brady
3. Montana

...btw, these are also my favorite; in order.

TheSanityAnnex
09-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Soon your lists will go like this...

1. Rivers
2. Montana
3. Elway

:lol

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM

1. Rivers
2. Montana
3. Elway

Rivers is gonna be in the Steve Spurrier, Archie Manning list. The next Ryan Leaf... :lol

johnsmith
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM

1. Rivers
2. Montana
3. Elway

Nope......I give you the future of the NFL.....http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/prep_football/article/0,1299,DRMN_416_4961172,00.html

ducks
09-25-2006, 03:26 PM
rivers is better then leaf

BeerIsGood!
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
rivers is better then leaf
Often times I see leaf in rivers...

just floating on the water.