PDA

View Full Version : How bad was the Suns draft tonight?

JMarkJohns
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM

JMarkJohns
06-28-2006, 10:14 PM
I guess this is this sites Suns fans official venting thread.

Three point guards to choose from. You literally have two lottory potential picks staring you in the face at #21 and you sell the freakin' pick for 3 million in Cash and the 1.7 million contract of Briant Grant.

How much was Nash's 2006-07 health and future longevity worth to Sarvar? Throw in another sold pick used on another PG and you have the figure.

7.6 million dollars.

Cheap FUCKING bastard.

Scrooge... I HOPE YOU DIE!

ALVAREZ6
06-28-2006, 10:14 PM
:lmao

:lol @ trading Sergio "Spanish Chocolate" Rodriguez away for money

BillsCarnage
06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
None of the above..

JM, why no bashing of D'Ant? Does JK have you that scewed on the Suns that you can't look at a bigger picture?

JMarkJohns
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Bill. Here's the issue. Suns had their future point guard and the answer to an immediate need starring them in the face. Williams was theirs. I still can't believe they passed on him for nothing.

They pay Grant, but Grant get's sent to Boston who can eat the CAP hit, who receive a lottory talent as payment/reward.

Then, they sell the #27 pick for more Cash. Probably the Cash they need to use to pay Grant for that Boston trade to go down.

They get nothing this year and I'm not convinced they'll ever get that Boston pick. I'm sure it's got a chastity belt's worth of protection for next year, probably top-20, followed by a lottory protection in 2008, followed by top-10 protection in 2009 or some crap like that.

If the Suns were unwilling to spend 2.5 million on two picks this year when their UNDER the luxery tax, then why should we as fans believe that they'll spend 8 million next year on three potential picks when they are fighting to stay under the 70 million dollar mark as a team?

Yeah, yeah.. they save money, but they didn't address longterm problems, either monetarily or personel-wise. They sold their draft for almost nothing and are still looking at the same problems coming out as they were going in.

BillsCarnage
06-28-2006, 11:15 PM
JM, they tried to trade up to get Carney. He was their #1 choice, but couldn't swing a deal. They tried everyone from 10-16, but couldn't swing a deal to move up. They also want a PG that can help now. I still think they'll swing a deal for one some way be it FA or trade.

It also opens up two roster spots for players who may actually contribute meaningful minutes.

Did you catch Sarver on 910 today? I missed his interview, but he said he wasn't worried about the tax and wants the ring this year. Take that for what it's worth, but maybe he's willing to pay it this year or next.. Also, there was concern from the posters at ASF about Diaw's situation, but maybe they're reading too much into it.

And the 07 draft could be one of the deepest in 20yrs according to some reports. I understand the fans being frustrated, but this team is about winning now, not developing players for the future.

In the big picture i don't think this was a bad move.

JMarkJohns
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
If Carney was their #1 choice, then I'm almost glad they missed him.

If Sarvar wants the ring this year, then he NEEDS to address the backup PG position.

Maybe Jones/House and the Boston pick to a team like Milwaukee for Maurice Williams.

infinite styles
06-28-2006, 11:22 PM
Without Colangelo they didn't feel comfortable making a decision on draft day so they decided that they would just sell their picks.

BillsCarnage
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
JM, they have until the trade deadline, not to mention all summer, to address the backup PG situation. This is just the beginning of the offseason and Suns fans are way over reacting to this, IMO.

They still have a number of options.

baseline bum
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Barbosa and House aren't enough? I don't see any way anyone available @20-whatever is as good as either of those guys. To know we gave you guys Barbosa for nothing while having Nick Van Exel and Beno Udrih turnstile us out of a championship makes my blood boil.

ducks
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
suns have money problems
do you sun fans not want to try to keep everyone together for one year to see if you can get that title

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
okay and this is worse than the sac pick how? quit crying.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 12:25 AM
This draft was total ass.

No need to waste guaranteed contracts outside of the lottery.

JMarkJohns
06-29-2006, 12:51 AM
This draft was total ass.

No need to waste guaranteed contracts outside of the lottery.

I'd agree, accept they were getting a player many thought would go between #5 and #13. In essense, they were getting a lottory player for half the cost.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
If the Suns can re-sign Diaw and Barbosa, then it was a succesful draft for them.

JMarkJohns
06-29-2006, 02:02 AM
But they can't.

They still face the problems of a monster 75 million dollar payroll with a resigned Diaw and Barbosa because they failed to shed any contracts past this next season.

All they did was trade two 1st-rounders to get rid of a 1.7 million dollar expiring contract.

Seems pretty silly to me. Silly Stupid, that is.

jman3000
06-29-2006, 02:18 AM
I said "fuck sarvar" and I'm not even a Suns fan.

when i saw they got rid of grant i actually thought good move at first....but then i remembered it's LA that is stuck with his huge contract and not the Suns.

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 02:28 AM
Cheap owners... We know about them in Detroit (See ya Darko! Ben?). Spurs owners are cheap as well.

JamStone
06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
While it sucks to have a cheap owner, none of the guys Phoenix would have drafted would have helped them next year and probably wouldn't help them the following year. The Suns need players that will immediately help in the next three years. Again, no one in the draft in the 20s would do that for the Suns. Suns need to concentrate on keeping and getting players in free agency and trade scenerios that will help them win next year. What good is Sergio Rodriguez or Rajon Rondo being on injured reserve the entire season only to be later traded to another team that will benefit from them learning under Steve Nash? Pro sports is about here and now. Suns are a title contending team. Unless there was a player that was going to put them over the top, then who cares if they sold those picks away? There wasn't a player like that available when the Suns drafted.

BillsCarnage
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
do you sun fans not want to try to keep everyone together for one year to see if you can get that title

Evidently not with the uproar that's been going on for the last 12+ hours.

I'm glad they didn't waste the picks/$$/roster spots. But, i think i'm one of maybe 3 or 4 fans that have that view. The vast majority are calling for Sarvers head on a silver platter with a shiney red apple.

It's like your mortal enemy just butt fucked yer GF whilst you ran to get condoms.

BillsCarnage
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
But they can't.

They still face the problems of a monster 75 million dollar payroll with a resigned Diaw and Barbosa because they failed to shed any contracts past this next season.

All they did was trade two 1st-rounders to get rid of a 1.7 million dollar expiring contract.

Seems pretty silly to me. Silly Stupid, that is.

No JM, they got $3mil from Portland for the #27 pick. If they jettison Jones they'll have upwards of $11mil in FA this summer.

JM, you're usually one of the better posters when coming up with quality trade ideas. I'm really surprised you're not seeing the bigger picture with the outcome of this draft.

Obstructed_View
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
There isn't anyone available in the draft that is going to get the Suns over the hump next year. If the Suns win the title it'll be the guys they've already got that get 'em there.

JMarkJohns
06-29-2006, 01:18 PM
No JM, they got $3mil from Portland for the #27 pick. If they jettison Jones they'll have upwards of $11mil in FA this summer.

JM, you're usually one of the better posters when coming up with quality trade ideas. I'm really surprised you're not seeing the bigger picture with the outcome of this draft.

I see the big picture plenty. This helps THIS season. Next season they still face a 75 million payroll because they failed to move a longer-term contract.

It wasn't just that they traded out. You saw several of my proposals. Half of them had the two picks and Jones packaged with Kurt Thomas to free up future space. Still, I can't believe so many here don't think a Title-winning collegiate PG with shooting touch, range and and pass-first instincts wouldn't be an adequate backup for a grossly overworked Steve Nash.

Frankly, the backup PG is a bigger issue than Tim Thomas.

NorCal510
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
i dont give a fuck option

CubanMustGo
06-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey, you want a backup PG, we have this swell little number called "Beno." Let's make a deal. :lol

LEONARD
06-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Cuban >>>>>>>>>>> Suns owner

*ducks*

JMarkJohns
06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Cuban >>>>>>>>>>> Suns owner

*ducks*

Cuban is the better owner. No doubt.

However, save for his one "Chicken man" antic, Sarvar is the better human.

I'd settle for a nice combination, like the Paul Allen. Passionate, yet not a flaming idiot and able to fund whatever/whoever necessary to win.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey relax, there are plenty of teams that will give you a trade exception for Marion.

BillsCarnage
06-29-2006, 04:06 PM
I see the big picture plenty. This helps THIS season.
And that's what it's about. They eyed a few, but couldn't get them.

Next season they still face a 75 million payroll because they failed to move a longer-term contract.

They still have til the trade deadline to address this. Not to mention all summer.

It wasn't just that they traded out. You saw several of my proposals. Half of them had the two picks and Jones packaged with Kurt Thomas to free up future space. Still, I can't believe so many here don't think a Title-winning collegiate PG with shooting touch, range and and pass-first instincts wouldn't be an adequate backup for a grossly overworked Steve Nash.

Frankly, the backup PG is a bigger issue than Tim Thomas.

They saw something you didn't that turned them, and many other teams, away from williams.

Diaw and Bobo can spell Nash just as they have, but the'll get a PG in FA now.

Btw, the seeds have been planted for not resigning Diaw. I don't agree w/it, but they are planted none the less.

Quadzilla99
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Worse than the motherfucking Knicks.

Drive Like Jehu
06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
The Sun goes down every day. Get used to it.