PDA

View Full Version : Damir Markota is a SPUR!

50 cent
06-28-2006, 10:55 PM
:elephant

50 cent
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Big guy that can shoot outside.

Maybe he is suppose to be the Dirk stopper.

spurs_2108
06-28-2006, 10:57 PM
w00t w00t. # 52!!!

Leetonidas
Strengths: Above average athlete. His offensive game is extremely developed. An amazing three point touch. He can shoot from anywhere, with any kind of move. Has good vision and passes well out of the double team when in the post. Also a strong rebounder.

Weaknesses: Must work on his mid-range game. His defensive intensity needs a lot of work. He must work some on his ballhandling and his in-between game. But the biggest thing he needs to work on is his attitude. Has a reputation of not interacting well with teammates.

Notes: The best Croatian prospect in some time. He is a late 1985 guy but is already making big noise in Croatian Upper division averaging 16 points and 7 rebounds per game.

-Aran Smith
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strengths: Very athletic and intelligent with the ball. Has extremely long arms and good leaping ability making him an effective shot blocker. Has a nice set of low post moves, including a very proficient baby hook. Shooting is where he separates himself from the rest of the pack. Can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the floor. Has wonderful touch...Not afraid to take the ball to the hole...a talent!

Weaknesses: Relies on athleticism way too much. Defense has to get better, he finds himself out of position on defense and is known to pick up bad fouls. Clearly a liability on D…Passing and rebounding should both improve with time and coaching...increased strength would do him very well. Notes: Has an edge to him, could turn out to be a very good player. Potential is huge.

-Savneet Singh

50 cent
ESPN gave some pretty good props about him for being the 59th. I'm sure they really respect the Spurs and their late round picks now.

spursparker9
06-28-2006, 10:58 PM
nba.com show J.R Pinnock was drafted...

Leetonidas
06-28-2006, 10:59 PM
So he's 6'10" or 6'11" and he is very athletic and can play SF and PF. Good. He apparently needs to work on his defense. Sounds interesting.

Will he be with us next year?

koopa
06-28-2006, 10:59 PM
what the hell do the spurs have against american?? we'll never see him in a spurs jersey

timvp
06-28-2006, 11:00 PM
They said he had off the court problems.

Sounds like we got a Euro Balla.

Nice.

:smokin

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Another shitty FT shooter.

DDS4

It's a prerequisite if you want to be a Spur.

50 cent
He should fit in great here.
:lol

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
To those that are excited about this pick, had you ever even heard of the guy before they picked him? Would you be celebrating regardless of who they picked, as long as it was some foriegner that you've never heard?

T-Pain
06-28-2006, 11:03 PM
damn, i dont think this guy will be heard of ever again

rayray2k8
06-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a spur player to me. :lol

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:04 PM
To those that are excited about this pick, had you ever even heard of the guy before they picked him? Would you be celebrating regardless of who they picked, as long as it was some foriegner that you've never heard?

To you: diarrhea.

SenorSpur
06-28-2006, 11:04 PM
Will he make the roster this year?

I'm starting to think the Spurs do not value college athletes from this country.

angel_luv
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Welcome D! :)

Buddy Holly
06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
damn, i dont think this guy will be heard of ever again

What?

He seems to have everything the Spurs have been looking for.

He's a tall 3 who can shot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-28-2006, 11:06 PM
I Wanted Pittsnogle!!!

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 11:06 PM
To those that are excited about this pick, had you ever even heard of the guy before they picked him? Would you be celebrating regardless of who they picked, as long as it was some foriegner that you've never heard?True enough. This guy seems just like Andy Ellis.

Tobias
06-28-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd celebrate as long as it was a foreigner you never heard of. :lol

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:08 PM
To you: diarrhea.

Pop the champagne, the Spurs got Damir Somethingorother.

My question was sincere, I'm just curious if people are celebrating because it was some unknown foreigner, and since the Spurs have a good track record with foreigners.

Rynospursfan
06-28-2006, 11:08 PM

This was my pick for the Spurs I called my shot here. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44852&page=3)

No way he will play here next year. You will have to wait at least one year if not more.

SenorSpur
06-28-2006, 11:09 PM
This was my pick for the Spurs I called my shot here. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44852&page=3)

No way he will play here next year. You will have to wait at least one year if not more.

Obviously, it's tough to get a quality impact player at that pick, but why the fuck can't they ever draft someone is somewhat ready to contribute now?

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Pop the champagne, the Spurs got Damir Somethingorother.

My question was sincere, I'm just curious if people are celebrating because it was some unknown foreigner, and since the Spurs have a good track record with foreigners.

We're celebrating it because we feel like it.

DirkAB
I'd celebrate as long as it was a foreigner you never heard of. :lol

So you have heard of him? Honestly, tell the truth. I'd be impressed if you did, but I doubt that I would believe you, the panel had never even hear of the guy before.

SPARKY
Uh oh, it's NBA Internets Ref.

T-Pain
06-28-2006, 11:11 PM

damn, nice guess, you called it. pick my lottery numbers for me

Marco
Another "foreigner": SequSpur must be celebrating.

DirkAB

Wow, that is impressive, good call. Thanks for the undefensive and straight forward answer.

Rynospursfan
06-28-2006, 11:12 PM
#6 NBA prospect in Euroleague article (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1113)

Draft Express Profile (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=151#)

timvp
06-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Chad Ford's Analysis: Another nice, late-round international steal for the Spurs. Markota has size, can shoot it and is putting up good numbers in Croatia. He'll stay in Europe but he could be an NBA player down the road.

Draft Projection: Second round

Notes: Plays for Cibona in Croatia. Averaged 7.7 ppg and 5.1 rpg in 20 mpg in the Eurolege this season. Markota, who two years ago entered the draft under the name Damir Omerhodzic, didn't impress many teams during workouts in the summer of 2004, and rumors about off-the-court problems hurt his stock to the point that he didn't even consider the 2005 draft. However, after a breakout performance in the European Under 20 Championships in Russia, scouts are starting to take notice again. Markota averaged 18.5 ppg and 11 rpg, was hitting his jumper and was very aggressive on both ends of the floor.

Positives: Markota is a very athletic small forward. Excellent leaper (he owns a 36-inch vertical). A solid shooter. Very aggressive on the offensive end of the floor. He's always looking for his shot. Good rebounder. Has improved his body dramatically over the past two years.

Negatives: Short arms mean that he actually plays smaller than he is. Has had major issues with maturity (he's flaky, a party animal) in the past, though many of those seem to have been solved the past year. Scouts say that he's not a good defender. Still needs to develop a mid-range game.

Summary: If he can prove to scouts that he's matured and that he can hit his shot consistently in the pros, he'll get some serious interest from scouts in the late first round. However, right now he's a solid second rounder.

Spurologist
06-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Damir "on the Mark" Markota

clubalien
the NBA needs more white superstars

SPARKY
Markota, who two years ago entered the draft under the name Damir Omerhodzic

Damn, he goes by two names.

itzsoweezee
great, another euro scrub that will never play in the league. the spurs are really racking em up.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:14 PM
We're celebrating it because we feel like it.

Take it easy there Sparky, no need to be a douche bag. I wasn't trying bash your pick. I'll just assume that you had no clue who this guy was based on your defensive replies.

Spurologist
Damn, he goes by two names.

so does every human on earth

SPARKY
Look in the mirror. See bag, douche.

50 cent
Not bad. I'm sure Pop can straighten out his attitude and teach him how to play a little D.

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:15 PM
so does every human on earth

Tonight, let it be Lowenbrau.

exstatic
06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Will he make the roster this year? No

I'm starting to think the Spurs do not value college athletes from this country. You're a little slow on the uptake if you're just figuring this out. Generally, second rounders aren't ready, and US players don't want to play overseas, except as a last resort. Overseas players don't mind. You keep the rights as they develop.

Spurologist
06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Tonight, let it be Lowenbrau.

Cheers!!!!!

http://www.epinions.com/images/opti/81/d5/Lowenbrau-resized200.jpg

Solid D
06-28-2006, 11:17 PM
BAkriD = does that mean kris is BAD?

Dre_7
06-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Damn, I woulda liked Kansey.

dbestpro
06-28-2006, 11:20 PM
Obviously, it's tough to get a quality impact player at that pick, but why the fuck can't they ever draft someone is somewhat ready to contribute now?

Only losers draft low enough to draft an immediate impact player and this year even the losers will have trouble.

exstatic
BAkriD = does that mean kris is BAD?
I always thought it was Dirk AB in the mirror. Of course, I have no idea what that means.

boutons_
A white Euro big who plays on the perimeter? A Dirk? A Memo?

Sounds like another Mahinmi: young, big, raw, 2-4 years away.

DirkAB
Look in the mirror. See bag, douche.

Good one. You're a real sparkplug, either that or a buttplug. Let me see if I can guess your next response:

Look in the mirror. See plug, butt. Is that about right?

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Good one. You're a real sparkplug, either that or a buttplug. Let me see if I can guess your next response:

Look in the mirror. See plug, butt. Is that about right?

Nah, you're just a dumb motherfucker.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:23 PM
I always thought it was Dirk AB in the mirror. Of course, I have no idea what that means.

You're right. Dirk is my first name and AB is my middle and last initials. I usually sign up as DirkAB on forums, have no real reason why I switched up.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Nah, you're just a dumb motherfucker.

Clever bastard.

Spurologist
SPARKY and BAkriD need to settle this shit in the OCTAGON.

http://www.ultimatefightgear.com/_images/pictures/82_sm.jpg

Yours truly will be the ref

beirmeistr
I'm celebrating because he has an easy name to pronounce.

leemajors
SPARKY and BAkriD need to settle this shit in the OCTAGON.

http://www.ultimatefightgear.com/_images/pictures/82_sm.jpg

Yours truly will be the ref

wasn't that a chuck norris movie?

Russ
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
From DraftExpress:

Damir Markota is a perimeter oriented power forward with a good shooting touch and a decent physical set.

At 6-11 Markota has excellent size for the power forward position. He’s very athletic for his size, being highly fluid running up and down the floor, extremely coordinated and showing a good motor to put those things to work. Markota has good speed getting up and down the floor. His vertical leap is one of his biggest assets as he can jump high and get off the floor quickly. His footwork is the paint is above average, but could stand some further improvement.

Offensively, Markota’s only reliable tool and probably his best strength when discussing his NBA potential is his jumper. His mechanics are somewhat ugly, but he gets good enough elevation to get his shot off even with a defender in his face. Damir needs some time to settle his feet--think about Dirk Nowitzki’s odd stance at the free throw line--but has enough size and lift to get his shot off against anyone. He is an accurate shooter from beyond the arc with excellent range from behind the international three-point line.

Inside the paint, Markota has a soft touch around the rim and is good finisher using both hands. Once he gets the ball close to the basket he can release an effective hook shot.

His off the dribble play has been inconsistent, but he can put the ball on the floor just enough to create space to release his shot on the perimeter. He especially likes to use a series of fakes and jab-steps when is guarded closely on perimeter. He has shown potential at times to hit shots in difficult situations even without his feet set, being off-balance or fading away His first step is very good and that leaves the impression that he could be a dangerous slasher threat if he improves his ball-handling ability.

On defense Markota has improved significantly over the past year and that is the main reason why he is getting consistent playing time now for a Euroleague team. He is a very active defender and plays hard despite his skinny body. Damir is already a good rebounder at the European level, with potential to become an excellent one due to his height and vertical leap.

Markota is a gifted passer with court vision that is well above average for a big man, but he often risks too much which leads to an increased number of turnovers.

When speaking of his intangibles, some time ago he was labeled as a problematic player with off the court issues, mainly surrounding his coachability and professional attitude or lack thereof. This seems to be behind him right now and he actually shows a very good demeanor on the court.

Hometown:
Sarajevo, Bosnia

Earliest Draft Class:

Current Position:
PF

Expected Position:
SF/PF

Possible Positions:
PF

Best Case Scenario:
Vladmir Radmanovic

Worst Case Scenario:
Dan Langhi

Profile Written By:
Kristian Hohnjec

Kori Ellis
06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
^^ I thought he was a small forward.

SequSpur
another got damn foreigner.......

timvp
31. Portland Trail Blazers
Damir Markota

With their third pick in the draft, the Blazers grab an international kid they can stash in Croatia a few years.

Chad Ford's final mock draft had Markota going 31st to the Blazers.

Yipee :sleep

itzsoweezee
what the hell does this guy have to offer over someone like pittsnogle?

i'm really baffled by the spurs front office moves lately.

Spurologist
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
^^ I thought he was a small forward.

From the videos ESPN showed, his game is clearly that of a small forward

Spurologist
06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
wasn't that a chuck norris movie?

google says yes so it must be true

ChumpDumper
06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
He's no Derrick McKey.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2006, 11:29 PM
He's apparently a very long armed, very short armed, small forward/power forward combo. :)

Negatives: Short arms mean that he actually plays smaller than he is. Has had major issues with maturity (he's flaky, a party animal) in the past, though many of those seem to have been solved the past year. Scouts say that he's not a good defender. Still needs to develop a mid-range game.

Strengths: Very athletic and intelligent with the ball. Has extremely long arms and good leaping ability making him an effective shot blocker. Has a nice set of low post moves, including a very proficient baby hook. Shooting is where he separates himself from the rest of the pack. Can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the floor. Has wonderful touch...Not afraid to take the ball to the hole...a talent!

Face it. None of these analysts have actually seen him. :lol

timvp
06-28-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm just hoping I don't hear the "This Is The Guy We Wanted All Along And We Waited For Him To Drop Like We Waited For Latrell Sprewell To Drop Back When We Were With Golden State" line from the Spurs again. 10 years in a row or whatever is long enough.

T Park
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM

other than the fact Pittsnogle sucks....

SequSpur
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Markota > Nesterovic + Beno

AlamoSpursFan
06-28-2006, 11:31 PM
He's apparently a very long armed, very short armed, small forward/power forward combo. :)

Holy shit! We just drafted Stretch Armstrong?

:lol

Buddy Holly
06-28-2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.kosarka.hr/Media1/zgci.jpg

http://www.kosarka.hr/Media1/markota-zula.jpg

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/DamirMarkota/1115146649.jpg

Spurologist
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
ST knowledge >> Chad Ford/nbadraft.net

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM

I'm a little suprised that Pittsnogle went unpicked. He's pretty slow, but I figured his size and shooting would get him drafted for sure. I hope the Kings consider picking him up.

koopa
06-28-2006, 11:34 PM
A white Euro big who plays on the perimeter? A Dirk? A Memo?

Sounds like another Mahinmi: young, big, raw, 2-4 years away.

but at least ian was 18 when drafted, this dude is 21 already, we'll probably bring him over when he's a year away from retirement..........damn the really need to stop wasting picks like this, the had success once with this crap and that was manu, they act like they can repeat it everytime

jman3000
06-28-2006, 11:35 PM
from those pics i'd say normal to short length arms. long is when they go past your knees.

picnroll
Another Euro team to follow without babelfish access.

Spurologist
http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/DamirMarkota/1122443897.jpg

Can post up

ChumpDumper
but at least ian was 18 when drafted, this dude is 21 already, we'll probably bring him over when he's a year away from retirement..........damn the really need to stop wasting picks like this, the had success once with this crap and that was manu, they act like they can repeat it everytimeHow many #59s even make the league?

Russ
06-28-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm a little suprised that Pittsnogle went unpicked. He's pretty slow, but I figured his size and shooting would get him drafted for sure. I hope the Kings consider picking him up.
More surprised Gansey wasn't picked. I watched him single-handedly beat UCLA at Pauley Pavillion.

SPARKY
:lol @ someone bitching about this pick.

Spurologist
A big without YOUTUBE video is a big concern for me. You have to be there for at least on video. Dude's agent needs to be fired

ashbeeigh
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
http://www.kosarka.hr/Media1/zgci.jpg

Did that one go in?

koopa
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
How many #59s even make the league?

but at least take a damn american every now and then, they've at least proven they can play american ball

Solid D
06-28-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.kosarka.hr/Media1/markota-zula.jpg
Serbian translation: "Don't talk back to me Markota or I'll go "English" on you."

Kori Ellis
A big without YOUTUBE video is a big concern for me. You have to be there for at least on video. Dude's agent needs to be fired

I found him on youtube. Not just highlights of him though, but of his team.

ChumpDumper
but at least take a damn american every now and then, they've at least proven they can play american ballCollege ball. I repeat my question. Include only damn Americans.

SequSpur
06-28-2006, 11:39 PM
but at least take a damn american every now and then, they've at least proven they can play american ball

No American would listen to Pop's bullshit rants.

SPARKY
Spurs had to restock the farm team with Javtokas coming over and Scola perhaps on the move.

itzsoweezee
other than the fact Pittsnogle sucks....

at least pittsnogle has played against real players, not some losers in europe. you know what pittsnogle is capable of.

i guarantee this scrub never plays in the nba.

exstatic
06-28-2006, 11:40 PM

Group A
Romain Sato
Chris Carawell
Bryan Bracey

Group B
Gordon Giricek
Manu Ginobili
Robertus Javtokas
Luis Scola
Sergei Karaulov
Viktor Sanikidze

Group A are the second round college players drafted by SA in the Duncan era. Sato stuck on the roster/IR for one year. Carawell and Bracey never made the team.

Group B are the second round foreigners drafted in the Duncan era. Ginobili is an All Star, and Giricek an established NBA player. All indications are that Javtokas will be in the NBA next year and Scola either next year or the year after. The jury is still out on Karaulov and Sanikidze.

If Javtokas and Scola both make the league, that's a 66% hit rate.

Do you really think they just draft foreigners for kicks? Should they just draft someone you've heard of to make you happy?

Spurologist
I found him on youtube. Not just highlights of him though, but of his team.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wkm5KJTmamg&search=markota

he's on here at the 13 sec on a nice pick and roll

SPARKY
Manu played in Europe. What happened?

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:41 PM
Spurs fans bitching about drafting international players is like Heat fans bitching about the Shaq trade.

TDMVPDPOY
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/draft/60x80/1111350.jpg

NEGATIVE shit about him is that he looks like that guy who stars as malcom in the middle

SequSpur
Exstatic, those foreigners aren't playing in the NBA. Giricek wouldn't foul Nowitski in a Game 7 up by 3 with seconds left.

Giricek > Ginobili.

SPARKY
http://images.sportsline.com/images/basketball/nba/draft/60x80/1111350.jpg

NEGATIVE shit about him is that he looks like that guy who stars as malcom in the middle

Awesome. I was just wondering if he might join the team in a couple of years.

SPARKY
06-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Please pay attention to me.

DirkAB
06-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Spurs fans bitching about drafting international players is like Heat fans bitching about the Shaq trade.

Yeah, that's what it's like. Great analogy.

Buddy Holly
06-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Exstatic, those foreigners aren't playing in the NBA. Giricek wouldn't foul Nowitski in a Game 7 up by 3 with seconds left.

Giricek > Ginobili.

You're right. Because he'd be on the bench hitting your wife.

SequSpur
06-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Recently, the Spurs foreigners have played soft, made mistakes and let the opposition run layup drills on a historically built foundation.

It's time for an American Revolution in San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
06-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Thread Over.

Look at my new one.