PDA

View Full Version : Mavs draft Ager, the Wade-stopper they lacked in finals

ducks
06-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Mavs draft Ager, the Wade-stopper they lacked in finals

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
June 29, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- A week too late, the Dallas Mavericks might've finally found someone to cover Dwyane Wade.

The Mavs drafted guard Maurice Ager of Michigan State with the 28th pick in the first round Wednesday night and coach Avery Johnson immediately called him the shooting-guard defender the team lacked this past season, which ended in a loss to Wade and the Miami Heat in the NBA finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We were looking for a guy who can be a shut-down guy at the 2 spot," Johnson said. "We didn't think we had that on our team last year."

The weakness was exposed in the finals, when Wade scored at least 36 points in each of Miami's four wins. Dallas used various defenders and defensive schemes to slow him, all to no avail.

Ager said he watched the finals and was rooting for the Mavericks.

"Hopefully next year I'll be there to help them get over the hump," Ager said via phone from New York, where he attended the draft and cried upon hearing his name announced. "It's great, it's a perfect situation going on there. I love the way they play. I think things are going to work out perfect."

The 6-foot-5, 202-pound Ager played four seasons for the Spartans under hard-nosed coach Tom Izzo, who values defense about as much as Johnson.

"At the end of the game, he's a guy that they would put on another guy to get stops," Johnson said.

Johnson stressed that Ager also impressed the Mavs with his scoring ability. His average rose every year, peaking at 19.3 as a senior. He averaged 12.5 for his career.

That's important because last season's primary starter at Ager's spot was Adrian Griffin, whose lack of offense ended up costing him his starting job. Griffin is a free agent who may not be re-signed; Ager's presence may make that even less likely.

"As much as we stress defense, now, coming out of this season, we want to have guys that can defend, but we also need guys that can score," Johnson said.

Izzo told Johnson that Ager can do that, especially when it matters most.

"I asked coach Izzo, `Who did you throw the ball to in the last two minutes of games?"' Johnson said. "He said, `Hands down, Maurice. Believe it or not, you may be able to count on him in those situations next year."'

While that's not likely, Johnson said the Mavericks already are counting on Johnson to "give us a few minutes next year."

Ager fits a similar profile to the last guy Dallas picked in the first round: Josh Howard, who was taken 29th in 2003.

Howard also was a four-year star from a strong program (Wake Forest) in a top-notch conference (ACC) who became a contributor right away. He blossomed into the team's second-best all-around player this season, helping them win a record-tying 60 games and reach the NBA finals for the first time.

"We hope he's in the same mold, a guy that a couple of years from now can be one of our top players," Johnson said.

Johnson said Ager's experience meant a lot more to the Mavs than a younger player who might be more of draft-and-wait type.

"We've kind of catapulted ourselves in that championship level," Johnson said. "So we really didn't want a guy we'd have to wait four or five years for him to step up. ... This is probably the first time since we lost in the finals that I've been this excited."

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
a load of bs, wattabout howard, i thought he was the stopper......

infinite styles
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
When did Ager see time in the NBA again?

Mavs_man_41
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
HAHA u guys are just mad the mavs got a steal, and are that much closer to taking home the trophy next year.

Trainwreck2100
06-29-2006, 12:51 AM
HAHA u guys are just mad the mavs got a steal, and are that much closer to taking home the trophy next year.

Don't jump on his balls yet, he's still a rook and the NBA has a steep learning curve

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 01:02 AM
to little , to late. mav's got a lot in store for them next season if they think that they are gonna just end up in the finals again.

ShoogarBear
06-29-2006, 02:59 AM
Six months of listening to Cuban whining, and Ager will fall right in and lose any mental toughness he might have now.

PaceMonster
06-29-2006, 03:14 AM
LMFAo a senoir in college stopping an NBA phenom like dwyane wade....get the fuck outta here

Obstructed_View
06-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Does anyone else find it appropriate that Ager was already brushing up on his crying as he donned the Mavericks cap for the first time?

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 04:49 AM
Since it's all fixed, it doesn't matter -- does it Mavfans?

rayray2k8
06-29-2006, 09:37 AM
:lol
what make difference will it make if the mavs cant get back into the finals?

1Parker1
06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
:lol @ a rookie being able to defend Wade.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2006, 10:22 AM
I never even though Ager was any good in college

greywheel
06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
ESPN Radio in Dallas interviewed Ager this morning on the "Dennis and Engle" show (local personalities). They asked him about stopping Wade and he basically said he would do his best. After the call, one of the guys (Engle is on vacation) warned not to expect too much from this guy. He was only all-second team in his conference, while Josh Howard was ACC player of the year.

2Cleva
06-29-2006, 11:25 AM
10:20 -- The Mavs take Maurice Ager at No. 28. He puts his head in his hands and starts sobbing hysterically as his entourage congratulates him. It's about time we had some emotion tonight, dammit. Ager walks up to the stage in a triple-breasted, oversized beige suit, goes to shake hands with Stern and immediately gets whistled for a foul on Dwyane Wade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060629

Budkin
06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060629

Sounds like Simmons is still bitter that 'Toine won a championship.

StylisticS
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I never even though Ager was any good in college

He is a good player. I've seen him many times at Michigan State. While he is not a lottery type player, he is 1st rounder early 2nd rounder talent that has potential.

LEONARD
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Anybody that thinks he's the "Wade stopper" is a moron...

ESPN Radio in Dallas interviewed Ager this morning on the "Dennis and Engle" show (local personalities). They asked him about stopping Wade and he basically said he would do his best. After the call, one of the guys (Engle is on vacation) warned not to expect too much from this guy. He was only all-second team in his conference, while Josh Howard was ACC player of the year.

Poor guy...having to go on the air with Dennis and Engel as his intro to DFW is BRUTAL :lol

and Engel is a chick...

Sense
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM

Talk about delusional.

StylisticS
06-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Anybody that thinks he's the "Wade stopper" is a moron...

I have to agree with that. Who thought of that? The Fort Worth Star Telegram? :lol

Shank
06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
1. It was an AP story, not the FWST.
2. Jen Engel is on vacation. Rhadigan was in with Dennis today.

Anything else for me to correct?

Shank
06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Want Mavs dirt, since the remaining Mavs fans are hanging around this thread? Ok...

1. Quis is gone.
2. Stack will be around.
3. Mike James will likely be signed for the MLE.
4. Howard was injured through the later part of the playoffs and was never 100%. 2 ankle injuries and a hammy.
5. Devin Harris could be moved, but the price would have to be right (read: not likely to happen)
6. Griff should be gone as will DA.

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Want Mavs dirt, since the remaining Mavs fans are hanging around this thread? Ok...

1. Quis is gone.
2. Stack will be around.
4. Howard was injured through the later part of the playoffs and was never 100%. 2 ankle injuries and a hammy.
5. Devin Harris could be moved, but the price would have to be right (read: not likely to happen)

if i was dallas i would try to keep harris. the guy has some serious upside.

clambake
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with taking this kid and seeing what he's got. I hope we don't move harris or daniels. Probably lose daniels. Harris just needs confidence. How about sign and trade terry and daniels for ai.

baseline bum
06-29-2006, 06:49 PM

1. Quis is gone.
2. Stack will be around.

Griffin out? Shit... I'd love him in SA. He was one of the main reasons Dallas got hot around the turn of the year last season.

Quadzilla99
06-29-2006, 06:50 PM

Yeh, that's what it is.

mavsfan1000
06-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah the mavs got a steal here. I could see him starting by late next year. He is a Avery type player.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 08:15 PM
He's the Danny Crawford stopper!

StylisticS
06-29-2006, 11:04 PM

lol..it was a joke man. calm down. :lol

Cant_Be_Faded
06-29-2006, 11:05 PM
omg if the mavs seriously drafted this dude to be a wade stopper, and if hte mavs fans really think this guy will be a wade stopper, that is really really sad.

First of all, your diety Cuban changed the rules, you can't be a stopper in the playoffs anymore. No player on the face of the planet could stop wade from getting all those free throws in today's game.

NBA Junkie
06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
You don't stop Dwyane Wade, you only hope to contain him.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2006, 07:28 AM

Whew, it's a good thing you are here to jump right on shit like that. :rolleyes

LEONARD
06-30-2006, 07:59 AM

1. Quis is gone.
2. Stack will be around.

I would LOVE for the Mavs to get James...

leemajors
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM

1. Quis is gone.
2. Stack will be around.

i think the rockets have a much better shot at signing mike james, he still has a home there and wants to go back.

LEONARD
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
i think the rockets have a much better shot at signing mike james, he still has a home there and wants to go back.

I guess it depends if he wants to actually WIN or not :lol

Rockettes :elephant

leemajors
06-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I guess it depends if he wants to actually WIN or not :lol

Rockettes :elephant

healthy mcgrady, yao + a player like mike james playing like he did last year will win. they just need another player or two, and they already got one in battier. mcgrady's health is key.

LEONARD
06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
healthy mcgrady, yao + a player like mike james playing like he did last year will win. they just need another player or two, and they already got one in battier. mcgrady's health is key.

If I was a Rox fans I wouldn't feel too comfy counting on TMac's back...

ponky
06-30-2006, 05:39 PM
omg if the mavs seriously drafted this dude to be a wade stopper, and if hte mavs fans really think this guy will be a wade stopper, that is really really sad.

First of all, your diety Cuban changed the rules, you can't be a stopper in the playoffs anymore. No player on the face of the planet could stop wade from getting all those free throws in today's game.

OMG OMG OMG...calm down, there's a certain level of stupidity in every fanbase of every team, no one who follows nba ball thinks that...at a certain point, wade is not really stoppable, you have to look for other options (not being afraid to drive to the hole yourself would be a start!)...besides, it's not going to be a walk for the heat to get back to the finals and neither is it going to be for the mavs so cut the shit, a new season, an entirely new ballgame

ponky
06-30-2006, 05:41 PM

they traded for battier on draft night, that's a great trade for the rockets, not so sure why memphis just wants to get younger (rudy gay)

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 05:49 PM

If I was a Mavs fan I wouldn't feel to comfty counting on Dirk's heart....

ponky
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM

Haha, a Kings fan. You're probably one of those who believes Horry *stole* the championship from you. A little bit of luck against the Spurs and you think you're hot shit, hahahahahahaha. You won't even get pass the second round next year and that's being generous.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Haha, a Kings fan. You're probably one of those who believes Horry *stole* the championship from you. A little bit of luck against the Spurs and you think you're hot shit, hahahahahahaha. You won't even get pass the second round next year and that's being generous.

:lol sour grapes. dude your club hasn't won jack shit. you won't be back in the finals next season and choked away the title in front of the world. be proud, boy. don't be so quick to forget you got to the finals by getting past the amare-less suns. fucking scrubs, fuck your arrogance. i would be hard pressed to think of a recent choke job like the one your club pulled. :lol :lol

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 06:02 PM
You won't even get pass the second round next year and that's being generous.

oh, and we'll see about this part. i wouldn't be so quick to make predictions.. most mav's fans predicted a title when they reached the finals and had a 2-0 lead... let me know how that went again.

exstatic
06-30-2006, 09:33 PM
For every Parker there is a Beno, and for every Howard....

Not every late 20s pick pans out, in fact precious few stay past their minimum length deals.

Winnipeg_Spur
06-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Too bad Wade'll be retired before the Mavs get another opportunity to gag on the NBA's biggest stage...

Spurologist
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Wont waste time reading the article. When Ager becomes a Wade-Stopper, Oberto will become a perrenial all star.

confined
06-30-2006, 11:35 PM
:lol sour grapes. dude your club hasn't won jack shit. you won't be back in the finals next season and choked away the title in front of the world. be proud, boy. don't be so quick to forget you got to the finals by getting past the amare-less suns. fucking scrubs, fuck your arrogance. i would be hard pressed to think of a recent choke job like the one your club pulled. :lol :lol

ur best player is ron artest....nuff said

Obstructed_View
06-30-2006, 11:39 PM
i would be hard pressed to think of a recent choke job like the one your club pulled. :lol :lol
Fortunately the Mavs fans around here aren't clever enough to think of the comeback to this statement. :lol

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 11:45 PM
ur best player is ron artest....nuff said

the only thing that confines you is your stupidity. artest is good, one of the best in the league, but don't forget about bonzi and bibby. dude, show some acumen before you make statements like that one.

confined
07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
look the guy calls the mavs fuckin scrubs....obviosly they arent seeing as how we made it to the finals...i dont think im the one who needs to think before he speaks

atxrocker
07-01-2006, 12:21 AM
look the guy calls the mavs fuckin scrubs....obviosly they arent seeing as how we made it to the finals...i dont think im the one who needs to think before he speaks

dude, shut the fuck up and quite fucking crying. where is your crew to back you again? thats right, most regular mav's posters here are humbled by being humiliated in the finals. obviously you're not. don't waste my time. don't worry man, you got plenty of time to cry next season when your team underachieves, fuckface. cry on pussyface's shoulder, you fucking crying bitch.

bulletedge
07-01-2006, 07:11 AM

Oh, I don't know...Eddie Griffin's choke job was pretty good....

confined
07-01-2006, 11:27 AM
dude, shut the fuck up and quite fucking crying. where is your crew to back you again? thats right, most regular mav's posters here are humbled by being humiliated in the finals. obviously you're not. don't waste my time. don't worry man, you got plenty of time to cry next season when your team underachieves, fuckface. cry on pussyface's shoulder, you fucking crying bitch.

cuz i was cryin right?.......nowhere in any of my sentences was i whinning or cryin....u need to get a fuckin life man, i mean come on u have like 1, 200 posts on a spurs message board....yeah ur cool :rolleyes

LEONARD
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM

Dirk's heart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TMac's back

confined
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Dirk's heart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TMac's back

and duncan's foot

atxrocker
07-01-2006, 01:46 PM
cuz i was cryin right?.......nowhere in any of my sentences was i whinning or cryin....u need to get a fuckin life man, i mean come on u have like 1, 200 posts on a spurs message board....yeah ur cool :rolleyes

what does post count have to do with shit? i like this board and post here often... whats your point?

confined
07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
just let it go man