PDA

View Full Version : Pistons fans - Mo Evans traded.

Bob Lanier
06-28-2006, 11:41 PM
The Pistons also announced late Wednesday that they traded Maurice Evans to the Los Angeles Lakers (http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/colleges/mercer/14925762.htm) for the draft rights to Cheick Samb, a 7-foot-1 center from Senegal, who was picked 51st overall by the Lakers.
Bottoms up! :drunk

REDLION#22
06-28-2006, 11:47 PM
their fluke run is still over...they might start rebuilding by singing a superstar that can resist the cruelty and torture of the palace of the burned hills.

JamStone
06-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Well, thank God! Hopefully, Joe did this in order to force Flip to play Delfino so he could develop better.

Pistons < Spurs
06-28-2006, 11:53 PM
AMEN

I was scared we were going to keep him this year and end up losing DelFino.

Pistons < Spurs
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM
ANALYSIS: Few players who will be picked in the 2006 NBA Draft have less experience than Samb, but that doesn't mean he isn't an exciting prospect. On the contrary, Samb has exhibited shotblocking abilities that would put him among the best rejecters in Europe, if only he had enough experience to play at a higher level. Samb played his first professional season this year in LEB2, which is the third-highest professional league in Spain. He signed a contract with Unelco Tenerife, a club in the ACB, Spain's highest level, but he has competed at lower levels in order to gain experience. In his first season, Samb blocked more shots himself than all but one of the teams in LEB2. He also averaged 9.6 points and 7.7 rebounds, pretty good numbers considering his utter lack of experience. With a normal progression, Samb might be ready to play at Spain's highest level, the ACB, in two more years. In the past, clever NBA teams have selected prospects like Samb and let them develop in Europe for a few years before signing them to play in the NBA. Denver drafted Francisco Elson in 1999, then let him develop for four years in Spain until they felt he was ready for the NBA. Elson has had three productive seasons as a frontcourt reserve for the Nuggets. Perhaps some team will show the same foresight and draft Samb.

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 12:00 AM
pistons made a shitty move. evans is much more solid than samb will be. lmfao @ the pistons fan who pretended to be happy about this move.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
It looks like Evans' agent asked for him to be traded to somewhere else for more minutes.

So I guess it makes sense.

The guy they got in return is supposed to play overseas for another year or two.

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
pistons made a shitty move. evans is much more solid than samb will be. lmfao @ the pistons fan who pretended to be happy about this move.
Samb is largely irrelevant; he'll be lucky if he ever makes an NBA roster.

What's important is that Mo Evans is out of town, and either a qualified free agent/trade acquisition or one of the several better players on the Pistons roster will take over the playing time Evans didn't deserve last season.

I find it hard to believe that he'll get any PT on the Lakers. He's basically a very poor man's Devean George, without the defense.

Pistons < Spurs
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM

The happiness has nothing to do with Samb. If he makes the teams in 3 years I will be suprised.

99% of Piston fans have been screaming for Delfiino to get playing time over Mo. Evans could hit an occasional open 3. He had some stregnth for some power dunks and could occasionaly fight for a rebound.

But Delfino is much more of a playmaker with better vision, handles, attacking ability, creativeness and explosiveness. And a MUCH better defender.

Mo is a very weak player compared to the abilities that Carlos brings to the table ... but Flip played him IMO because he was familiar and comfortable with him form his days in Minnesota.

This is great news.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 12:30 AM
darko > 2 scrubs mentioned

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 12:34 AM
darko > 2 scrubs mentioned
Cheick Samb weighs about 180 pounds and he's a better rebounder than Darko ever will be. :drunk

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 12:43 AM
ok, so one thing for pistons fans to act happy to move evans. quite another to say samb is anything other than a piece of shit. i.e... bob

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM
It looks like Evans' agent asked for him to be traded to somewhere else for more minutes.

So I guess it makes sense.

The guy they got in return is supposed to play overseas for another year or two.

Is this insider info or speculation? IMO the writing was on the wall for Evans. Delfino is Joe's guy, and he was stuck behind Flip's guy (Evans). Last time this situation came up (Michael Curry playing over Tayshaun) Joe traded Curry in the offseason.

This is great for that reason alone. Evans is a half decent player (will be good for LA), but it's worth it in being able to get Delfino minutes and keep him on the roster. If this prospect ever turns into something it's just a bonus.

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
ok, so one thing for pistons fans to act happy to move evans. quite another to say samb is anything other than a piece of shit. i.e... bob

That's all it is. Samb will probably never set foot in the NBA and this is still a good move for us because we get to keep (and develop) Delfino. Great for both teams IMO.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Good pickup for the Lakers.

Burn531
06-29-2006, 01:14 AM
Good pickup for the Lakers.

Not if you watched Evans all last season.

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 01:20 AM

Well, kings fans told us he was a "defensive stopper". I guess we should have known that we have a bit of a different standard when it comes to defense :lol. He was the worst defender on our entire roster. Amir is the only guy who comes close, but we haven't even seen him play much to know and he just turned 19.

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 01:22 AM
To be fair, he was a better defender than Carlos Arroyo (although it's debateable, with the current rules that pretty much make it impossible to check point guards anyway, which one compromised the team defense more).

atxrocker
06-29-2006, 01:31 AM
Well, kings fans told us he was a "defensive stopper". I guess we should have known that we have a bit of a different standard when it comes to defense :lol. He was the worst defender on our entire roster. Amir is the only guy who comes close, but we haven't even seen him play much to know and he just turned 19.

oh, thats funny? almost as funny as being whooped by the underrated heat huh?

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 01:38 AM

He provides a nice spark off the bench, he'll get much more time in LA than he did in Detroit. He has potential to be a pretty good defender, I bet he will be a good defender under Phil Jackson. Jackson really stresses defense to his teams, I doubt Flip Saunders did much teaching on the defensive end this year. He hasn't been taught how to play defense, the only coaches he's ever had are Adelman and Saunders, guys that aren't exactly know for defense.

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 01:44 AM
The Flip argument holds merit, although I'm not sure how many career journeymen suddenly become lockdown defenders at 28. Unlike a Bruce Bowen, he isn't very tall, isn't very laterally quick, and doesn't have good instincts. Undersized, slow, and lacking basketball IQ isn't a great combination for "potential to be a pretty good defender", and definitely not a "really good" defender.

"We're continuing to bolster our backcourt. Where he fits into the lineup, we'll wait and see," Kupchak said regarding Evans. "We still feel we can use a little more help in the backcourt." Kupchak called Evans "a really good defensive presence, a better shooter than people think."

Basically, he's a poor man's Devean George, and the Lakers already have the real thing. So, unless they want to play both of them simultaneously, just where are these minutes to provide a spark going to come from?

Edit: Devean George is apparently a free agent. Still, with Luke Walton, Vujacic, and if he has anything left in the tank, McKie, it's hard to see where he fits in.

Eh - I like the Lakers; best of luck to both them and him. I hope he resurrects his career and has a good life. But unrealistic expectations are part of the reason many of the Detroit fans you'll find seem to hold a grudge against him, and if I were a Laker fan I wouldn't be overly optimistic.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Is this insider info or speculation? IMO the writing was on the wall for Evans. .

"We felt there just weren't going to be enough minutes" for Evans, Dumars said. "His agent called and said they might want to be somewhere where more minutes would be available, and we tried to make that happen."

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 02:09 AM
"We felt there just weren't going to be enough minutes" for Evans, Dumars said. "His agent called and said they might want to be somewhere where more minutes would be available, and we tried to make that happen."

Sounds like Joe had a little meeting with Evans to tell him that Delfino would be playing most of the minutes, and that he would be an insurance guy. Hence the "going to be" part of the quote. Either that or Bonzi is on his way :spin

Either situation is a huge step up from playing Flip's boyfriend. I could deal with Mo in an insurance role only, but not as our main backup with Delfino sitting there rotting.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 02:16 AM
The Flip argument holds merit, although I'm not sure how many career journeymen suddenly become lockdown defenders at 28. Unlike a Bruce Bowen, he isn't very tall, isn't very laterally quick, and doesn't have good instincts. Undersized, slow, and lacking basketball IQ isn't a great combination for "potential to be a pretty good defender", and definitely not a "really good" defender.

Basically, he's a poor man's Devean George, and the Lakers already have the real thing. So, unless they want to play both of them simultaneously, just where are these minutes to provide a spark going to come from?

Edit: Devean George is apparently a free agent. Still, with Luke Walton, Vujacic, and if he has anything left in the tank, McKie, it's hard to see where he fits in.

Eh - I like the Lakers; best of luck to both them and him. I hope he resurrects his career and has a good life. But unrealistic expectations are part of the reason many of the Detroit fans you'll find seem to hold a grudge against him, and if I were a Laker fan I wouldn't be overly optimistic.

Does pretty good defender = lockdown defender? No

You seem to know an awful lot about Evans even though he only played like 5 min. a game for the Pistons. Low basketball IQ, not laterally quick, and bad instincts?

BTW, Devean George sucks ass now, and I believe he's a free agent. I doubt that the Lakers resign him, why would they? Besides I'd rather take Evans anyways, especially for the price.

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 02:29 AM
Does pretty good defender = lockdown defender? No
He's never been anything close to even a good defender. He was a bad defender in Detroit with the Wallaces behind him, and I can't possibly imagine he was better in Sacramento with that fierce intimidator Brad Miller protecting the rim. Blame the poor team defense on Flip if you like (God knows I do) but that didn't stop several Pistons from having excellent individual defensive seasons. Carlos Delfino, for instance, managed to play pretty damn good defense in spite of Flip's disdain; Maurice Evans managed to get lit up in spite of Flip's encouragement. Can Phil Jackson make him better? Well...

You seem to know an awful lot about Evans even though he only played like 5 min. a game for the Pistons.Evans played 15 minutes a game for the Pistons, and for most of the season was the seventh man. He was also Flip's most trusted bench player, and would be used in wildly inappropriate situations (trying to guard players he obviously couldn't, playing way out of position, playing above starters in the clutch) for seemingly no reason, but based on the way he was used in the regular rotation, those are my observations. It doesn't take long for anyone to realize his physical limitations playing either of the swing positions in the modern NBA, but I believe I had a sufficient sample to characterize his intangible limitations, yes.

McCosky's take on the situation is up (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/SPORTS0102/606290431/1004/SPORTS). Read at your own risk.

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/6959/mcinfo7ul.jpg
Appropriated from another forum

jochhejaam
06-29-2006, 06:03 AM
Well, thank God! Hopefully, Joe did this in order to force Flip to play Delfino so he could develop better.
Yes, good move. Also frees 1.5 million to perhaps spend towards a solid backup for Chauncey. Claxton?

Actually he'd probably be offered the MLE.

awmyplace
06-29-2006, 06:39 AM
their fluke run is still over...they might start rebuilding by singing a superstar that can resist the cruelty and torture of the palace of the burned hills.

You're so funny.You're all over the boards.Lol.Atleast Our arena is not burned.

NBA Junkie
06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Evans on the way out doesn't necessarily mean that Delfino picks up the extra minutes. I think it's a sign that Bonzi Wells will be in a Piston uniform next season.

ABDENOUR POWER
06-29-2006, 10:39 AM
DELFINO TIME! :elephant

I think it's a sign that Bonzi Wells will be in a Piston uniform next season.

That works for me too. :lol

Dunc
06-29-2006, 11:14 AM

You're right... it's over. Mo Evans was our heart and soul. He was the driving force behind our championship run. Without Mo Evans, our season is over before it starts. I'm going to cancel my season tickets. I don't want to watch a 15 win season unfold.

We miss you Mo!!!

:lol

Marklar MM
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
You're right... it's over. Mo Evans was our heart and soul. He was the driving force behind our championship run. Without Mo Evans, our season is over before it starts. I'm going to cancel my season tickets. I don't want to watch a 15 win season unfold.

We miss you Mo!!!

:lol

Darko was our driving force. It is no coincidence that when we traded Darko, we started to play like shit. :) The team played good, so that Darko could get into the game. Without Darko, they didn't have that drive.

Dunc
06-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Darko was our driving force. It is no coincidence that when we traded Darko, we started to play like shit. :) The team played good, so that Darko could get into the game. Without Darko, they didn't have that drive.

It's true. Those nights when Darko and Mo hit the floor together were incredible. It was like Shaq and Penny. MJ and Scottie. Picard and Riker. Sonny and Cher.

Ah, for those days once again....

DarkReign
06-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Picard and Riker.

Picard propositions Riker (http://picardriker.ytmnsfw.com/)

Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise (http://picard.ytmnd.com/)

Hit F5 once they load completely.

Dunc
06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Picard propositions Riker (http://picardriker.ytmnsfw.com/)

Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise (http://picard.ytmnd.com/)

Hit F5 once they load completely.

:lmao

Dude, you made my day :lol

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
He's never been anything close to even a good defender. He was a bad defender in Detroit with the Wallaces behind him, and I can't possibly imagine he was better in Sacramento with that fierce intimidator Brad Miller protecting the rim. Blame the poor team defense on Flip if you like (God knows I do) but that didn't stop several Pistons from having excellent individual defensive seasons. Carlos Delfino, for instance, managed to play pretty damn good defense in spite of Flip's disdain; Maurice Evans managed to get lit up in spite of Flip's encouragement. Can Phil Jackson make him better? Well...

Of course a number of Pistons had a great defensive year, they are natural defenders that played a couple of years under a great defensive mind. I'm pretty sure that defense carried over from the previous seasons. You don't think that playing under a defensive coach like Larry Brown or Phil Jackson will improve a players defense? Mo Evans is a terrific athlete and is a hustler, there is no way that he doesn't have the capability to be good defender under the right instruction. Don't get me wrong, I think that Evans is pretty much a scrub, but even scrubs can contribute playing under the right coach.

bdubya
06-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Anybody got a full photo or video of our new "big" man?

http://www.nba.com/draft2006/profiles/CheickSamb.html

4 inches taller than Tayshaun, and 20 lbs. lighter?

7'1", and he weighs as much as Rip Hamilton????

DarkReign
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
http://www.as.com/diarioasmedia/impresa/media/200503/12/baloncesto/20050312dasdaibal_1_I_SCO.jpg

Google image, ftw.

Bob Lanier
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
The Pistons' 2006 draft class:
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nba/2005/0913/photo/bol_bogues_195.jpg

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
http://www.as.com/diarioasmedia/impresa/media/200503/12/baloncesto/20050312dasdaibal_1_I_SCO.jpg

Google image, ftw.

If he's 7'1" I don't see how it is possible that he weighs 195, he doesn't look that skinny.

bdubya
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
If he's 7'1" I don't see how it is possible that he weighs 195, he doesn't look that skinny.

I've seen other sources that put him at 215, same as Tayshaun. Either way, it's clear why they're calling him a "project". ("Arnie Kander to the weight room, please...paging Arnie Kander to the weight room....")

FreshPrince22
06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Joe was on the radio today saying that he's at about 215-220 lbs. Still needs to add at least 20-30 pounds or so if he wants to see a minute in this league. Though KG is listed at 220 lbs (has to be closer to 240). Hopefully they sent him a McDonalds gift card or something. FWIW, he won the dunk contest for the league he was in. Pretty impressive for a 7-1 guy if he can make a dunk look even half decent....

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1149024673.jpg

He looks like he has some athleticism and CRAZY long arms.

I doubt he ever makes the roster, but crazier things have happend. He has the tools to become a shot blocking force.

mavsfan1000
06-29-2006, 08:47 PM
The pistons haven't been the same since they trade Darko. I don't think a team can recover from such a lopsided trade as that. This trade doesn't seem too good for Detroit either.

DirkAB
06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
The pistons haven't been the same since they trade Darko. I don't think a team can recover from such a lopsided trade as that. This trade doesn't seem too good for Detroit either.

Your sig has to go, I wouldn't be bragging about anything in that series. Really, is Shaq getting outplayed by Dampier in a game a source of pride for you?

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Cheick Samb? Isn't that the guy who sang with Sting on "Desert Rose"?

Pistons < Spurs
06-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Apparently Samb also has a younger brother who also plays for Barcelona:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?mod=print&a=1163