06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/content/MikeGansey11706.jpg

Mike Gansey
Birthdate: 12/21/82
Position: G
Ht: 6-4
Wt: 205

PPG 16.8 | APG 1.9 | RPG 5.7

Very smart player. Has a great knowledge and understanding of the game. Has a lot of hustle, energy, passion and competitveness. Great outside shooter. Good range and a quick release. Hard worker that will never quit. His hustle and energy creates rebounds, steals, deflections. Decent defender who plays smart on D.

Hes not a super athlete and doesnt have blazing speed, but is smart enough to make up for it. Doesnt have an NBA body or athleticism and will never be a full time starter in the league, but can be a great bench player for a team like the Spurs. Can play the one or two off the bench. Streaky shooter who will bury shots when hes in a zone.

After watching a few WV games last year I must say that I really liked the way Gansey played. I think he can be a great addition to the Spurs bench. Could help at that backup point guard spot. Hes the guy I wanted the Spurs to draft.

timvp
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
No more small shooters please.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 12:08 AM
No more small shooters please.

Hes also an excellent ball handler. Something the Spurs need from a backup PG standpoint, since Beno cant handle the rock to save his life. Gansey will be a better shooter than NVE.

Spurologist
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
This guy will make an nba roster. That simple

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 12:14 AM
I think he'll be better than Beno.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Gansey's a great player...for someone. He's got that extra ability to make things happen a lot of players wish they had.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 12:47 AM
He's not a small shooter. He's a good-sized career back-up point.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 12:55 AM

Which would be great for SA.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Which would be great for SA.

Yes, but I imagine his agent's cell is buzzing about now.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2006, 05:17 AM

Why do you think he's a point guard?

He's never played the point, correct?
He averaged 1.9 assists this past season and most scouts say he has no skills to be a point guard. He is just a small shooting guard. (That's why LJ said small shooter).

sanman53
06-29-2006, 06:16 AM
He is very coachable. He also knows how to shoot the 3 (which is all WVU knows what o shoot).

ALVAREZ6
06-29-2006, 08:31 AM

He averaged 1.9 assists this past season and most scouts say he has no skills to be a point guard. He is just a small shooting guard. (That's why LJ said small shooter).
That's exactly right.

I watched him a lot in the Big East competition this winter, he's just a small SG that likes to shoot the 3, along with his buddy Kevin Pittsnogle, who should have a better career than Gansey.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 03:19 PM

With ball handling skills! Something Beno severly lacks. Even if Gansey doesnt dish out assisit after assisit, he can be a good backup PG in the NBA.

I dont care how many assists Beno averages if he cant bring the ball up court under preasure.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 03:21 PM
It was my mistake; I thought he was their point guard.

He's more athletic than he's often given credit for. And I believe he was the leading rebounder on that WV team (says a lot about Pittsnoggle).

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
He's worth a summer league invite. Like the shooting and rebounding.

Spurologist
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
It was my mistake; I thought he was their point guard.

He's more athletic than he's often given credit for. And I believe he was the leading rebounder on that WV team (says a lot about Pittsnoggle).

not really. It says a lot about the WVU team. They are a free flowing team that play A LOT of zone. You can't exactly have box out assignments. Coach Beilin also likes to make multiple substitutions during the game, so it's more difficult for him to rebound. But I won't deny that that is a weakness in his game. That and probably lack of post up moves are his flaws.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Pittsnoggle would be at the base of the zone, Gansey near the top. What you're saying doesn't really make sense, Spurologist; even if they played equal positions in a zone defense, Gansey is still getting more rebounds than a player much taller than him.

Beer is Good
06-29-2006, 04:19 PM
All I can say about Pittsnoggle is that Aldridge Man-handled him under the rim. I am a UT alum and love the 'Horns, but Aldridge is a scarecrow who backs down from toughness and aggression.

Beer is Good
06-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Gansey is intriguing because he has basketball intangibles that will probably allow him to become a nice utility guy off the bench in the NBA for a long time. The guy is fundamentally sound and mentally tough.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Gansey seems a guy smart and hard working enough to develop whatever he needs to out of his game. If he needs to handle the point more, he'll figure it out, Kerr-style.

We could do a hell of a lot worse than trade Udrih for a 2nd, S&T for Speedy, back him up with Gansey/committee.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 04:28 PM
If it weren't for a certain PG's (Paulino) amazing 3 at the buzzer, Pittsnogle's huge 3 would have sent Gansey and company to the next round of the NCAAs and then who knows how UT and it's young players would have been affected by it?

Beer is Good
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
If it weren't for a certain PG's (Paulino) amazing 3 at the buzzer, Pittsnogle's huge 3 would have sent Gansey and company to the next round of the NCAAs and then who knows how UT and it's young players would have been affected by it?

If you look at how good Pittsnogle made Aldridge look and at how bad Thomas and Davis of LSU made Aldridge look then you can see just how weak Pittsnogle is in the physicality department. He may turn into a poor man's Dirk with his shooting touch, but I don't really see him being a Center or even Power Forward in the NBA. The Spurs really need a Center right now, not a 7' jump shooter who lacks toughness.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Pittsnoggle is an NCAA legend and will stay that way; our guy here is Gansey.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Pittsnoggle was one of my favorite NCAA players last year, but he wouldnt be a good fit with SA. Now Gansey on the other hand...

Darkwaters
06-29-2006, 11:46 PM

Actually, that game was tied and Paulino's 3 just prevented any overtime from taking placing, giving the Horns the win.

Darkwaters
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
If you look at how good Pittsnogle made Aldridge look and at how bad Thomas and Davis of LSU made Aldridge look then you can see just how weak Pittsnogle is in the physicality department. He may turn into a poor man's Dirk with his shooting touch, but I don't really see him being a Center or even Power Forward in the NBA. The Spurs really need a Center right now, not a 7' jump shooter who lacks toughness.

You're right, hes a small forward. But he lacks lateral quickness. So, hes a slow small forward.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Actually, that game was tied and Paulino's 3 just prevented any overtime from taking placing, giving the Horns the win.

Ah, yes, you are right. Good catch.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Gansey and Pittsnogle are playing for the Heat summer league team.

loveforthegame
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41305/20060704/gansey_signs_two_year_deal_with_miami/

Gansey Signs Two Year Deal With Miami

4th July, 2006 - 11:57 pm

WBOY.com - Mike Gansey went undrafted on Wednesday, but less than a week later, the Miami Heat have signed the West Virginia guard to a two-year deal.

He'll make $412,718 in 2006-2007 and $687,456 in 2007-08.

Roughly 10 teams contacted him after he wasn't selected in the draft