PDA

View Full Version : Can we wait awhile before moving on to next year?

Don Quixote
06-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Folks: I do hope you will forgive me for downplaying what to some of you was an exciting evening following the draft, but ...

Why do we even care about the draft? The champagne isn't even dry yet from the Miami Heat's championship celebration, for Pete's sake! Can't they push the draft back a few weeks and let the champs, whoever they are, bask awhile in their glory? I think the champs deserve it.

The draft is all about the future, building toward what all teams hope is the championship. That's great, but a championship just happened last week! Give the champs their due.

I wish everyone who follows basketball would have done that for the Spurs, when we won each of our 3 titles. The whole POINT of competetion is to beat everyone else, win the championship, and enjoy the glory and adoration of the fans. It just killed me in '99, '03, and '05 to hear the media start immediately talking about Shaq & Kobe, etc, while we were in the locker room celebrating.

Doesn't anyone else find it trivializing that, as soon as the confetti comes down and the Commish hands over the trophy, the media starts talking about next year? What are the Lakers going to do in the off-season? Who will go #1? Etc. Who cares?

If I ran ESPN, there would be no football coverage for at least a month or two after the Super Bowl, other than stories about the team who won, and major events, like a death or serious injury. All the other sports would be the same.

And lastly, since when did the draft become must-see TV for Spurs fans, anyway? I think we've traded out of the 1st round more than 50% of the time since '85. Does anyone remember our picks from '91, '92, '93, '98, or '03?

And I don't want to move on anyway. I'm still mad/sad/upset about this year! Get back to me in September.

From New Orleans,
Don "The Rebuilder" Quixote