PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs get in on draft-day trades

timvp
06-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Spurs get in on draft-day trades
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

With the 59th pick in the 2006 NBA draft, the San Antonio Spurs select ...

Oh, the suspense. After almost five hours and 357 phone calls, the Spurs ended Wednesday evening the same way they began it: with a second-round pick.

After using the next-to-last pick of the draft to take Serbian forward Damir Markota, the Spurs traded him to Milwaukee for a 2007 second-round choice. The Bucks, who arranged for the Spurs to take Markota, will forward them the better of two second-round picks they own next season.

"Once our guys were gone we were just looking to see what the best opportunity was," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "It's a future second that has a chance to be a lot better than what ours was this year. We think next year's draft has a chance to be one of the better drafts in a long, long time."

The Spurs, who gave up their first-round pick to New York in the 2005 trade for Nazr Mohammed, tried to acquire another to take one of three players: Arkansas guard Ronnie Brewer; Kentucky guard Rajon Rondo; or Michigan State guard Shannon Brown.

Brewer went 14th to Utah. Phoenix drafted Rondo at No. 21 before trading him to Boston. Cleveland — whose front office is run by former Spurs forward Danny Ferry — took Brown with the 25th pick."For whatever reason Danny Ferry keeps liking the same players we like," Buford said. "We thought there was some good value from middle to late first round. Unfortunately, we couldn't get anything done."

The Spurs also tried unsuccessfully to move up in the second round to take Illinois guard Dee Brown, who went to the Jazz.

"We had calls going all night long," Buford said. "You never know if anything's close because everybody's lying all the time anyway. This wasn't a real stable draft from the beginning."

The Spurs already have 11 players under contract after trading Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams last week. Team officials thought they might be able to pick up a third point guard in the draft but knew they probably would have to fill their biggest need — a center — via a trade or free agency. They also would like to find an athletic swingman to groom under Bruce Bowen.

"There aren't too many centers available at No. 59," Buford said.

Teams can begin negotiating with free agents Saturday, and the Spurs will try to re-sign Mohammed, depending on what type of offers he receives from other teams. They also will continue to explore trading the draft rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola. One Eastern Conference general manager who spoke with the Spurs before the draft said Brent Barry's name also came up in trade discussions.

"By the time we got to 59, the guys we targeted weren't there," Buford said. "The best thing to do was to give ourselves another chance next year."

Let the suspense begin.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062906.1C.Spurs.1c54817.html

timvp
06-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Brewer or Rondo would have been sweet. I'm not too big on Shannon or Dee Brown, though.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
The Spurs already have 11 players under contract after trading Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams last week. Team officials thought they might be able to pick up a third point guard in the draft but knew they probably would have to fill their biggest need — a center — via a trade or free agency. They also would like to find an athletic swingman to groom under Bruce Bowen.

Interesting that they continue to say that they need a center. I was thinking for sure that Tim will be sliding to center and that they'll get a power forward.

It's also interesting that it doesn't mention Javtokas at all. I wonder if it's really almost a done deal.

Teams can begin negotiating with free agents Saturday, and the Spurs will try to re-sign Mohammed, depending on what type of offers he receives from other teams. They also will continue to explore trading the draft rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola. One Eastern Conference general manager who spoke with the Spurs before the draft said Brent Barry's name also came up in trade discussions.

As expected ... Nazr will be gone, they'll try to trade Scola and Barry.

timvp
06-29-2006, 12:42 AM
"We thought there was some good value from middle to late first round. Unfortunately, we couldn't get anything done."

Yeah because Holt traded away two first round picks to save money.

:pctoss

Buddy Holly
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM

He did?

I thought the Spurs had a GM and stuff.

Wait, how does HOLT make all these decisions when the team is run by a board?

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Wow, this could turn out to be one dismal off-season.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 12:45 AM
this is a load of shit, i thought the spurs wouldve put sumshit in ferrys of any ex-spur managements contract limiting them exposing or have any interest in spurs relations/activities for a few years.

every time we open our mouths, some fuckn team will always grab it ahead of us, we should stop disclosing spurs interest to the outside!!!

T Park
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
:rolleyes

maybe New York wanted those picks?

Nahhh.

clubalien
06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Wow, this could turn out to be one dismal off-season.
jkidd or bust!

Solid D
06-29-2006, 12:50 AM

As did PHX tonight. Tax.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Now Spurs fans will blame Danny Ferry for the Spurs not getting their player in the draft. Next Spurs fans will excommunicate Ferry from the '03 title team. Then they will slander Ferry. And so on.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Nah, Ferry just has the same mind-set as the people still the Spurs' organization. No surprise there.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Watch.

TDMVPDPOY
lets hope the bucks bust next season so we get our selves a top 2nd round pick!

T Park
I think Ferry had ZERO clue, as to who the Spurs wanted.....

Wow we didn't draft someone from the worst draft in years.

How terrible!!!

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 12:57 AM
It's not terrible they didn't get anything out of this draft. What's more foreboding is how few options there seem to be out there. We can easily say they'll work their magic - whatever that means - but it took years to find Bruce Bowen after years in the Chucky Brown desert. Finding these pieces is going to be a pain in the ass, and I certainly hope it happens somewhat before Duncan is 35.

clubalien
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
tpark you say that now. But who knows there could be some gems. for example that raptor pick could be huge for them

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
So the Spurs didn't get the tall Croatian wing prospect to go with the tall Georgian wing prospect whose rights they already hold.

Mahinmi, Sanikidze, and Karaulov will be on the Summerleague team. They punted on this draft and have 3 in the next one. They probably already know who they want in the '09 Draft.

nbascribe
06-29-2006, 01:01 AM
This is the price you pay for success. Which would you rather have, a sucky team and lots of first round picks or a team that is sitting at the championship thresh hold every year.

With only two rounds, what are you expecting? Not much. Free agency and summer league should be fun to see what pans out. I'd try to sign and trade Muhammad quick. Quick somebody call Isiah and see if he got's something worthwhile for us before he gets his ass canned in Decembe of 2006.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
So the Spurs didn't get the tall Croatian wing prospect to go with the tall Georgian wing prospect whose rights they already hold.

Mahinmi, Sanikidze, and Karaulov will be on the Summerleague team. They punted on this draft and have 3 in the next one. They probably already know who they want in the '09 Draft.

im assumin ur talkin about greg oden yeh :D

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM
The Spurs already have 11 players under contract after trading Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams last week. Team officials thought they might be able to pick up a third point guard in the draft

I'm not seeing Pop head into next season with Udrih as his backup point. Adios, Beno.

but knew they probably would have to fill their biggest need — a center — via a trade or free agency.

Robertas Javtokas your starting center.

They also would like to find an athletic swingman to groom under Bruce Bowen.

Jumaine Jones.

Anyways, this offseason could be extremely boring if the Spurs are scared by the LuxTax boogeyman.

Dre_7
06-29-2006, 01:05 AM
lets hope the bucks bust next season so we get our selves a top 2nd round pick!

Lets hope Houston busts, since their pick is also one of the Bucks two second rounder, and they are in SAs Conference.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 01:06 AM
I think Ferry had ZERO clue, as to who the Spurs wanted.....

Wow we didn't draft someone from the worst draft in years.

How terrible!!!

T Park, I would imagine the Spurs had scouted those players in 2005 also. In the 2005 college basketball season, Ferry and Blanks were in the Spurs FO.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm not seeing Pop head into next season with Udrih as his backup point. Adios, Beno.

Out of curiosity, who are you seeing as the replacement?

I'd replace him with Mike Gansey right now.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:12 AM
Reggie Geary.

Anyways, at some point the Spurs should spend some $ on free agents. Not to just spend, but rather to address areas of need. If not free agency then trades. They've managed to do what many teams have not by dumping $25 mil in unwanted salary. It's time to take that and use that capacity elsewhere.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Oh. Okay.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:17 AM
Spurs could go with a youth movement now and give Beno plenty of PT. Plus also perhaps bring in Sanikidze, that Ukranian dude and other assorted young players. Maybe Presti gets drunk and pushes for Scola to join the team.

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 01:18 AM
Lets hope Houston busts, since their pick is also one of the Bucks two second rounder, and they are in SAs Conference.

too bad we dont have rasho this season to break yaos arm again :(:(

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm not sure the Spurs can afford a youth movement, being a championship contender.

Also, not having any youth. That kind of hurts it, too.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
Since the Spurs need to find a future replacement for Bruce Bowen...could the Spurs be arranging a trade of Scola's rights to Chicago for the rights to #13 pick,Thabo Sefolosha?

The Bulls have SFs coming out their ears, with Khryapa joining them as well.

T Park
06-29-2006, 01:25 AM
seems as if the Spurs were gonna do that, they would've done it.

Solid D
06-29-2006, 01:27 AM
seems as if the Spurs were gonna do that, they would've done it.

Maybe they have. :) You never know.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:28 AM
If Chicago drafted Sefolosha for the Spurs, he might be part of a Nazr S&T package with Scola or something, that needs to wait until FA period.

But I doubt it. Chicago likes his height and flexibility in a three-guard rotation. He can play alongside either Hinrich or Gordon.

(Sefolosha was the guy I wanted all along, by the way.)

T Park
06-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Doubtfull.

I think the Bulls are making a run at Garnett, and they are gonna shi out Gordon and Deng, and will need all their draft picks to replace them.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:30 AM
Since the Spurs need to find a future replacement for Bruce Bowen...could the Spurs be arranging a trade of Scola's rights to Chicago for the rights to #13 pick,Thabo Sefolosha?

There's a potential deal in there somewhere. Then again, maybe they should keep Scola.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:33 AM
They better either bring Scola this year or get the equivalent on the team. Our bench looks like a vaccuum.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:34 AM
How about signing a free agent or taking back a contract in a trade?

TDMVPDPOY
06-29-2006, 01:35 AM
trade with the hawks imo, they got 4-5 sfs, and with the guy they drafted who is an undersized pf at 6'9, we should pounce on childress or williams or smith.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:36 AM
So the Spurs send them the rights to an undersized Argentine 4?

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:36 AM
How about signing a free agent or taking back a contract in a trade?

But what? At the MLE, that's not a lot to work with.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:37 AM
But what? At the MLE, that's not a lot to work with.

Sure it is.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Umm... okay. I don't see the Przybillas of the world leaping at the MLE.

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Maybe that's not the way to go. Use the MLE and LLE to address your problem areas...backup point, athletic swing, and rebounding starting-quality big. Seek out trades as necessary.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:42 AM
Maybe that's all we have. Anyway, we'll see, won't we?

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Then end the pain now.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Um... okay, dude.

:rolleyes

SPARKY
06-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Yeah, obviously the Spurs are doomed with only the MLE and LLE to spend plus the great Scola to trade, Nazr looking for a big payday somewhere and a starting quality big coming over for the LLE, dude.

timvp
06-29-2006, 01:52 AM

I thought that could be the case as well but then I saw an interview with the Bulls and they were excited about Thabo and saw him as the answer to getting some defense and some size in their backcourt. If they see him as a big SG, there's a spot on their roster for that.

So no, I don't think we can expect Scola for Thabo anytime soon :depressed

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 01:53 AM
IT'S A DISASTER!!! OMGZZZZ!!! :rolleyes

timvp
06-29-2006, 01:55 AM
IT'S A DISASTER!!! OMGZZZZ!!! :rolleyes

Scola is the answer, of course.

baseline bum
06-29-2006, 02:00 AM
This is going to be a huge seller's market this season. So many teams have ridiculous cap-space... assuming a $50 million cap,

NO ~ $18M
ATL ~ $18M
CHA ~ $16.5M
TOR ~ $14M
CHI - ~ 12M - $14M
LAC ~ $8M
Utah ~ $7.5M
Denver ~ $6M

MLE in such a weak free agency class may get us nothing.

Horry For 3!
06-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Spurs will have a 1st round and 2 2nd round draft picks in next years draft, I believe.

jcrod
06-29-2006, 02:16 AM
Spurs will have a 1st round and 2 2nd round draft picks in next years draft, I believe.

Ya THINK.

Pero
06-29-2006, 04:22 AM
After using the next-to-last pick of the draft to take Serbian forward Damir Markota, the Spurs traded him to Milwaukee for a 2007 second-round choice.

Markota is croatian, he plays there too.

rascal
06-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Wow, this could turn out to be one dismal off-season. Did you really expect anything different on draft day?

This spurs management either can't or won't make any impact trades to either move up on draft day or take a chance on a good young player.

davi78239
06-29-2006, 08:50 AM
And wouldn't that be some shit if being that next year's draft is so deep, the spurs still choose foreigners with all the pics that they could have in next year's draft? That would suck!

T Park
06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
This spurs management either can't or won't make any impact trades to either move up on draft day or take a chance on a good young player.

Yeah they never take chances on guys like Beno Udrih or Tony Parker, or anyone else :rolleyes

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Did you really expect anything different on draft day?

I'm not down because of draft day - we all expected nothing. I'm realizing how few options there are to fix up this bench of ours, with the resources we have.

Rescueone
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
And wouldn't that be some shit if being that next year's draft is so deep, the spurs still choose foreigners with all the pics that they could have in next year's draft? That would suck!

Exactly, plus with POP being from that part of the world, it seems as thou that's his focus. With all the division one, two, and three college teams and even the city neighborhoods in America, one thinks we should get at least some decent ATHLETIC AMERICAN who knows how to play. Enough with all these foreign players who need to DEVELOP in x amount of years.

leemajors
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Exactly, plus with POP being from that part of the world, it seems as thou that's his focus. With all the division one, two, and three college teams and even the city neighborhoods in America, one thinks we should get at least some decent ATHLETIC AMERICAN who knows how to play. Enough with all these foreign players who need to DEVELOP in x amount of years.

if there were any athletic americans who know how to play available at our spots they would have been chosen. college players aren't always immediate impact players. a lot of the euros have been playing pro ball for a couple of years before they come over.

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Let's see how these guys pay off before we shit all over them.

Mr. Body
06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
The Spurs have had to draft Europeans out of necessity, as everyone's pointing out. With Duncan on the squad, they were drafting late every season; they could either draft passed-over college guys everybody knew, or spend the time, effort, and money to develop a far-reaching international scouting enterprise. They HAD to do this.

Rescueone
06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
if there were any athletic americans who know how to play available at our spots they would have been chosen. college players aren't always immediate impact players. a lot of the euros have been playing pro ball for a couple of years before they come over.

lol....We invented the game!!! I'll take some street ballers off any playground in America and kick some Euro ass!

Rescueone
06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
So out of the thousands of ballers in America, we can't find one who fit's our needs? BS

ChumpDumper
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Who was your #59?

leemajors
06-29-2006, 03:44 PM
lol....We invented the game!!! I'll take some street ballers off any playground in America and kick some Euro ass!

we invented baseball too, that doesn't mean we will be the best at it forever. well, basketball was invented by a canadian.