PDA

View Full Version : Boston ties MLB record

Jimcs50
06-29-2006, 09:58 PM
BOSTON (AP) - Coco Crisp made a spectacular, diving catch to preserve Curt Schilling's 10th win and the Boston Red Sox stretched their winning streak to 12 games Thursday night with a 4-2 victory over the New York Mets.

David Ortiz homered in the eighth inning for Boston, sealing a three-game sweep in a matchup of first-place teams. The Red Sox matched the longest winning streak in the majors since Houston won 12 in a row from Aug. 27 to Sept. 8, 2004.

Coco Crisp and Trot Nixon celebrate the surging Red Sox's 12th consecutive victory. (Winslow Townson / Associated Press)

The Red Sox tied a major league record with their 16th straight errorless game.

:smokin
The Mets were the only big league club that hadn't lost three straight all season.

Schilling (10-2) became Boston's second 10-game winner, one day after Josh Beckett reached the plateau. New York starter Tom Glavine faltered after five strong innings, failing to extend his big league-leading win total to 12.

All of Boston's 12 consecutive wins have come against NL teams, and the Red Sox used an NL style of play to push across the go-ahead run in this one.

Crisp led off the seventh with a bunt single against Aaron Heilman (0-3) and stole second. Alex Gonzalez put down a perfect sacrifice bunt, sending Crisp to third. Kevin Youkilis then lifted a sacrifice fly to left.

New York threatened with two outs in the eighth against reliever Mike Timlin when Carlos Beltran singled. David Wright then lined the ball toward the gap in left-center, but center fielder Crisp raced over, extended his outstretched body and gloved the ball before crashing to the ground.

Ortiz gave Boston a cushion in the eighth with a homer to center field, his 23rd of the season and 200th of his career.

Jonathan Papelbon pitched a perfect ninth for his 24th save in 26 chances, tying Dick Radatz's club record for rookies set in 1962.

Schilling and Glavine dueled for five innings before both allowed two runs in the sixth

The Mets went ahead 2-0 on Beltran's 22nd homer after a two-out single by Paul Lo Duca.

The Red Sox tied it when Glavine, in his second-shortest outing of the year, left after failing to retire any of the first three batters. Mark Loretta led off with his third homer, Ortiz doubled and Manny Ramirez walked.

Heilman relieved and got Mike Lowell on a flyout to Beltran in deep center. The slow-footed Ortiz tagged up and slid in safely at third, and Ramirez advanced to second. Ortiz's hustle paid off when he scored on Jason Varitek's sacrifice fly.

Through five innings, Schilling and Glavine gave up just three hits each.

Glavine didn't allow a ball out of the infield until Loretta singled with one out in the fourth for Boston's first hit. Schilling let just one runner reach second in the first five innings, Julio Franco, and Schilling picked him off to end the fifth.

For the first time in 28 seasons at Fenway Park, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, two starters with more than 200 career wins faced each other: Glavine with 286 and Schilling, who now has 202. On Sept. 11, 1978, Boston's Luis Tiant (with 201 wins) pitched against Baltimore's Jim Palmer (212).

Notes
Lo Duca was back behind the plate after serving as the DH in New York's 10-2 loss Wednesday night. ... RHP Jason Johnson makes his debut for the Red Sox on Friday night when they open a 10-game road trip at Florida. Boston obtained him June 21 from Cleveland for a player to be named or cash. ... Boston's last error was by Youkilis at first base in the first inning on June 11 against Texas. ... Loretta has a 12-game hitting streak. ... New York's Jose Reyes, the major league leader with 34 stolen bases, was thrown out trying to steal second in the first.

Jimcs50
06-29-2006, 09:59 PM
The catch by Crisp was perhaps the catch of the year.

Marklar MM
06-29-2006, 10:04 PM
:) All your base are belong to us.

Jimcs50
06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
:) All your base are belong to us.

????

Marklar MM
06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
????

Leeroy Jenkins

Lebowski Brickowski
06-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I can't find a video of the catch!!!! ESPN.com has game highlights but not of the catch! Anyone know where it is?

jochhejaam
06-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Jim, how long have you been a fan of the Red Sox and how did you come to be a fan of a team so far from SA?

Marklar MM
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
I can't find a video of the catch!!!! ESPN.com has game highlights but not of the catch! Anyone know where it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTT8QFcAWP8

Lebowski Brickowski
06-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Ahhh -- youtube saves the day again. Thanks! Holy Crap What A Catch.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0361azZ-8&search=Coco%20Crisp%20Catch

Here's the whole play. You can see that he is positioned just shaded to right center when the ball is hit. And he makes the catch practically in left field.

Horry For 3!
06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG0361azZ-8&search=Coco%20Crisp%20Catch

Here's the whole play. You can see that he is positioned just shaded to right center when the ball is hit. And he makes the catch practically in left field.
He was drinking Red Bull, it gives you wings.

Marklar MM
06-30-2006, 02:16 PM
He was drinking Red Bull, it gives you wings.

Nacho Libre ate eagle egg yolk...he flew like a bird and beat Ramses.

DarkReign
06-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Leeroy Jenkins

kthnxbai

learn2play

mike detroit
07-01-2006, 01:02 AM
kthnxbai

learn2play

gg next map

Jimcs50
07-01-2006, 07:24 AM
Jim, how long have you been a fan of the Red Sox and how did you come to be a fan of a team so far from SA?

My grandfather(dad's dad), dad, and mom are from Connecticut. My grandfather played in the minor league team of the Red Sox in Connecticut in the 1920's(3rd base) Alas, he had to give up baseball to work in his garage(gas station and repair) because of money(He had 5 kids). My dad still talks how much fun he had playing in Father-Son games, because he said that his dad usually hit 2-3 HRs each game and was an awesome fielder, incurring the envy and admiration of all his buddies. Therefore my dad grew up being a huge Red Sox fan, listening to all their games on the radio while growing up.

Henceforth, he turned me into a fan and after watching the 75 World Series,as a kid, I was hooked permanently.

:)

Jimcs50
07-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Red Sox lose, but they break the MLB record for consecutive games w/o and error with their 17th straight game. :smokin

This is truly unbelievable when you really think about it.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
My grandfather(dad's dad), dad, and mom are from Connecticut. My grandfather played in the minor league team of the Red Sox in Connecticut in the 1920's(3rd base) Alas, he had to give up baseball to work in his garage(gas station and repair) because of money(He had 5 kids). My dad still talks how much fun he had playing in Father-Son games, because he said that his dad usually hit 2-3 HRs each game and was an awesome fielder, incurring the envy and admiration of all his buddies. Therefore my dad grew up being a huge Red Sox fan, listening to all their games on the radio while growing up.

Henceforth, he turned me into a fan and after watching the 75 World Series,as a kid, I was hooked permanently.

:)
Thanks Jim for the explanation (definitely a good reason) and good luck to your team. Maybe we'll be fortunate enough to meet you in the playoffs.

baseline bum
07-01-2006, 01:43 PM
WTF kind of name is Coco Crisp? Did his mother name him after a cereal?

SA Gunslinger
07-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Man Ram and Big Papi combined for 4 homers and 9 ribbies against Florida today.

Incredible.

Melmart1
07-02-2006, 02:55 AM
Papi hit his 200th career HR this week as well.

Das Texan
07-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Man Ram and Big Papi combined for 4 homers and 9 ribbies against Florida today.

Incredible.

ya we got the shit kicked out of us on saturday.

that sucked.

moehler sucked a big one and anibal probably was a bit shell shocked. We probably should have just started anibal and he probably does a bit better.

oh well, move on.

too bad we gave away today's game.

Marklar MM
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
gg next map

Your a n00b.