PDA

View Full Version : Argentina earns spot in medal round

spurschick
06-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA20060630.01D.BKOargentina.fiba.1843d19.html

As the poster boy of Argentine basketball, Spurs star Manu Ginobili mentors his country's younger players through a regular, sometimes daily, series of e-mails.

Most offer encouragement and advice. The batch leading up to the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship for Men also contained a request: Don't let me down in my adopted hometown.

With the favored United States watching closely from the stands, Argentina did its hoops role model proud, fighting off a determined Puerto Rico team 79-77 Thursday at Greehey Arena.

"It's an honor to play in the same city as Manu," said point guard Diego Gerbaudo, who had 18 points and nine assists. "We're very appreciative of everything he does for us. He's opened a big door for us in Argentina."

In addition to advancing to the medal round, Argentina (2-0) qualified for the 2007 FIBA U-19 World Championships.

On an even sweeter level, Argentina avenged a pair of losses to Puerto Rico last week in Dallas at the Global Games.

Those games notwithstanding, Wednesday's opening round gave no indication Argentina was in for trouble. The Argentines crushed Bahamas by 40, while Puerto Rico suffered a 17-point upset to Canada.

That Puerto Rico team was nowhere to be found Wednesday as it took a 75-72 lead into the final minute.

Argentina turned to the dynamic duo of Gerbaudo and Nico De Los Santos, who combined to score five of the team's final seven points.

None of Argentina's players have more Ginobili in him than De Los Santos, right down to his uncanny ability to weave through traffic to his willingness to accentuate contact and draw foul calls from the officials.

He wriggled, weaved and contorted his way to 22 points, leading all scorers.

"Manu is our role model," De Los Santos said. "He sets the example for us."

As good as De Los Santos was, the player most observers raved about was Gerbaudo, a pass-first point guard whose vision drew repeated praise.

One, USA assistant Paul Hewitt, said he's the best non-American in the tournament. Another, a talent scout for Nike, was calling colleagues to see if foreign players were eligible for the summer camp circuit.

Even with Ginobili back in Argentina on vacation, his young countrymen have still been able to bask in their idol's glow. The team took a tour of the Spurs practice facility on Monday, where the players snapped pictures of everything in sight.

Of particular interest was Ginobili's locker, a large picture depicting the Argentine as a Jedi Knight and the pair of championship rings worn by one of the security guards.

"They were going nuts," team host Chuck Japhet said.

If the opening games are indication, Argentina will be heavy underdogs against the U.S. should the two, as expected, reach Sunday's championship game.

But as Argentine coach Guillermo Narvarte said, "Anything's possible."

Just ask Argentina's 2004 Olympic gold medalist.

angel_luv
06-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Well done Argentina! :elephant

austinfan
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Hmm...this Gerbaudo sounds interesting. Of course I'm sure he's already been thoroughly scouted by Presti and crew. I wonder if R.C. Buford and his staff have been attending any of these games? Nice to hear that the Spurs organization took the time to show them around the practice facility.

Taking it to the Hole
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
I wonder if we could get De Los Santos or Gerbaudo? :eyebrows I am going on Sunday to St. Mary's. Sure hope to see the U.S. and Argentina playing. :tu

ALVAREZ6
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
:tu

Nice call on that De Los Santos guy, spurschick

austinfan
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
What does the Argentine sports press have to say about these two guys (De Los Santos and Gerbaudo)? Are they considered up and coming prospects down there?

spurschick
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
I wonder if R.C. Buford and his staff have been attending any of these games?

I haven't seen R.C., but scouts aren't necessarily shining spotlights on themselves.

exstatic
06-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Even with Ginobili back in Argentina on vacation, his young countrymen have still been able to bask in their idol's glow. The team took a tour of the Spurs practice facility on Monday, where the players snapped pictures of everything in sight.

Smart. Influence them while they're young.

timvp
06-30-2006, 06:48 PM
I thought this was a soccer thread.

:smokin

timvp
06-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay that was mean.

My apologies.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I haven't seen R.C., but scouts aren't necessarily shining spotlights on themselves.When you see a tall white guy with glasses on a cell phone, yell "HEY RC!"

If he drops the phone, it's him.

Solid D
06-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Friday night score: Argentina 90 Canada 79

USA playing Brazil now

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Who's on this USA team?

Solid D
06-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Who's on this USA team?

http://www.sanantoniosports.org/fiba/rosters/usa.pdf

E20
06-30-2006, 09:54 PM
Fuck, Germany beat Argentina. Germany got away with way too much shit in that game.

Spurologist
06-30-2006, 10:00 PM
:tu Argentina

http://www.sanantoniosports.org/fiba/rosters/usa.pdf

Are those All Americans or US scrubs?? I don't know, but I guess they are still good.

Fuck, Germany beat Argentina. Germany got away with way too much shit in that game.

:lol

Pekerman. That is all. He retired before his ass got canned. Pathetic coaching is all you need to know

Solid D
06-30-2006, 10:02 PM
:tu Argentina

Are those All Americans or US scrubs?? I don't know, but I guess they are still good.

Remember...it's Under 18 Tournament. Many of the US kids haven't committed to a college yet.

Spurologist
06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Remember...it's Under 18 Tournament. Many of the US kids haven't committed to a college yet.

yeah I meant Mcdonalds All Americans