View Full Version : How Are Some Going To Handle This

xrayzebra
06-30-2006, 09:34 AM
With the battle heating up in Congress over this issue, I wonder how
some will handle this. Like Kennedy.

Vatican vows to expel stem cell scientists from Church
By Malcolm Moore in Rome and Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 30/06/2006)

Scientists who carry out embryonic stem cell research and politicians who pass laws permitting the practice will be excommunicated, the Vatican said yesterday.

"Destroying human embryos is equivalent to an abortion. It is the same thing," said Cardinal Alfonso Lopez Trujillo, head of the Pontifical Council for the Family.

"Excommunication will be applied to the women, doctors and researchers who eliminate embryos [and to the] politicians that approve the law," he said in an interview with Famiglia Christiana, an official Vatican magazine.

Excommunication forbids Catholics from receiving communion, assisting in any Church duties, and sometimes from having a Church burial.

But the threat was shrugged off yesterday by Italy's leading expert on cloning, Prof Cesare Galli, of the Laboratory of Reproductive Technologies in Cremona, who was the first scientist to clone a horse.

Prof Galli likened the Vatican to the Taliban and added: "I can bear excommunication. I was raised as a Catholic, I share Catholic values, but I am able to make my own judgment on some issues and I do not need to be told by the Church what to do or to think.

"I will be, together with Elena Cattaneo [a scientist working in the University of Milan] the first to be affected by the excommunication and then there are two other labs that I know using imported embryonic stem cells."

The research is opposed by the Catholic Church because it involves destroying embryos. This occurs at the point when they consist of about 100 to 200 cells and the so-called inner cell mass is removed. These stem cells can grow indefinitely and turn into any of the body's 200 cell types.

Scientists believe research making use of the cells could eventually yield treatments for a range of diseases, including diabetes, heart disease and Parkinson's.

The Vatican's tough stance on the issue came as the Pope prepared to visit Valencia for the fifth annual world conference on the Catholic family. Spain passed a law permitting embryonic stem cell research two years ago to the dismay of the Church.

An Italian senator, Paola Binetti, a member of Opus Dei and a prominent campaigner for Catholic rights, also spoke against the Church's line.

"I am upset and stunned," she said. "It is a mistake to give out the idea that God is angry with Man because he is not in agreement with him."

Cardinal Trujillo said it was not just Spain which had "thrown out the fundamental laws of nature" but also Belgium, Holland, the Scandinavian countries and France. He did not mention Britain, which is at the forefront of embryonic stem cell research.Belgium's divided State.

24 July 2001: Pope urges Bush to ban embryo research

Information appearing on telegraph.co.uk is the copyright of Telegraph Group Limited and must not be reproduced in any medium without licence. For the full copyright statement see Copyright

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Kennedy is a stem cell scientist?

DarkReign
06-30-2006, 11:46 AM
"I can bear excommunication. I was raised as a Catholic, I share Catholic values, but I am able to make my own judgment on some issues and I do not need to be told by the Church what to do or to think."
-Prof. Cesare Galli

Bravo! Way to not yield to self-righteous, popular seculars.

Yonivore
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM
"I can bear excommunication. I was raised as a Catholic, I share Catholic values, but I am able to make my own judgment on some issues and I do not need to be told by the Church what to do or to think."
-Prof. Cesare Galli

Bravo! Way to not yield to self-righteous, popular seculars.
Obviously, he doesn't share Catholic values. Otherwise, he'd agree with the Pope.

clambake
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Oh boy, another religious thread. Hold on while i whip out my magic wand.

boutons_
06-30-2006, 01:54 PM
"he doesn't share Catholic values. Otherwise, he'd agree with the Pope."

He doesn't share every Catholic value. Otherwise, he'd agree with the Pope on every single item.

My Pope, right or wrong.

My dubya/country, right or wrong.

See any parallel?

99.9 of what dubya has done, or failed to do that he should have done (like govern and run the govt competently), has been bad, shitty, murderous.

But he's done a couple things I approve. But that doesn't mean I'm going to conservative heaven.

xrayzebra
06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Kennedy is a stem cell scientist?

CD, read the article. It said those who pass the laws, also.

Kennedy is still a Senator, isn't he?

Yonivore
06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Kennedy is still a Senator, isn't he?
Unfortunately.

xrayzebra
06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
^^Agree with that. It is an unfortunate fact.

Burly_Man
06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Not like the Bush Administration cares about what the Pope says:

Andrew Greeley from the Chicago Tribune:

“The papacy does not accept the theory of unilateral preventive war. It does not agree with the Bush administration's foreign policy. It did not think that all possible grounds for a peaceful solution were exhausted before the American attack and, like most of Europe, it did not believe that there was sufficient evidence of weapons of mass destruction — and it turns out that they and not the Bush administration were right. It urged that nothing happen until the completion of the U.N. arms inspection — and it turns out that here again the pope was right and the president was wrong.... The teaching on the Iraq war is not “authoritative.” Yet, ought not Catholic conservatives, who virtually worship the pope, at least listen to him respectfully on this subject?”

Yonivore
06-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Not like the Bush Administration cares about what the Pope says:

Andrew Greeley from the Chicago Tribune:
He's not Catholic.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 03:16 PM
CD, read the article. It said those who pass the laws, also.

Kennedy is still a Senator, isn't he?Has he passed a stem cell law?

Burly_Man
06-30-2006, 07:28 PM
He's not Catholic.

Administration is plural...Alberto Gonzalez, the Attorney General is a catholic.

As are Supreme Court Justices and Bush Appointees Samuel Alito and John Roberts. They showed their disregard for the Catholic Church's teachings in the recent Gitmo case.

exstatic
06-30-2006, 08:10 PM
You'd think the Vatican would have learned to keep their noses out of science after the whole "Earth is the center of the universe, you're excommunicated, Gallileo" fiasco...