PDA

View Full Version : A bad start to the holiday weekend....

Vizzini
06-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I am dog sitting for my roommate's brother right now. My roommate and his whole family and another family I know all go camping over and around the Fourth of July. I have been staying overnight at the place where I am dog sitting b/c it is easier to just get up, let the dogs out and get ready for work. My house is about a seven minute drive from the place I am staying at right now. Well, earlier in the week I let the dogs stay out of their kennel over night b/c i felt bad that they had been cooped up so long, well I woke up to a big puddle of piss in the middle of the kitchen floor and trash all over the house. Well, I said nuts to that and have put them back in the kennel for the over night since then. Well, this morning I woke up and went downstairs to feed them and put them outside. I got downstairs and one of the dogs was lying there DEAD! The plastic floor of the kennel was stuck out about five inches from the front of the kennel door, and one of his legs was stuck under the front door as well. It looked like he got his leg stuck and while fervently struggling to free it, he had a heart attack or panic attack and died. I had to spend about twenty minutes trying to get a hold of some one who is up their camping, and I finally got a hold of my roommate's brother and he is now driving three hours to "take care" of the dog. I feel so shitty right now. I try to keep telling myself that this could've happened during the day when they are locked up, but I still feel repsonsible. This sucks so bad right now.

tlongII
06-30-2006, 10:55 AM
That sucks.

katyon6th
06-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh, man. I don't even know what to say. That's just really sad.

Hope your weekend gets better.

pache100
06-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Damn, Vizzini, that really does suck. You are right, it could have happened when they were home. But I can imagine how you feel. When I was critter/house-sitting for my brother in April, I was scared something was going to happen to his little dog. I was lucky, though, Sundance was healthy as a horse when my brother got home.

Hope everything works out for you and they don't blame you. I don't see how it could have been prevented. It would have happened whether or not you were sleeping at the house. So sad for the little doggie, though. And the family. And you.

Marklar MM
06-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Sorry man. My dogs are really small (9 and 14 pounds), so they really don't chew up anything in the house...outside of toilet paper, shoes, and smaller stuff. Although the 14 pounder likes to rip carpet from a certain spot. She likes her cage...just goes in it and passes out.

I know what it feels like to lose a dog, but I wouldn't know what it feels like to be in your situation. :(

Sonia_TX
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Wow Vizzini...that's horrible. :( Poor dog.

Vizzini
06-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Damn, Vizzini, that really does suck. You are right, it could have happened when they were home. But I can imagine how you feel. When I was critter/house-sitting for my brother in April, I was scared something was going to happen to his little dog. I was lucky, though, Sundance was healthy as a horse when my brother got home.

Hope everything works out for you and they don't blame you. I don't see how it could have been prevented. It would have happened whether or not you were sleeping at the house. So sad for the little doggie, though. And the family. And you.

Thanks for the support, I know that before they had their twin girls, those dogs where like kids to them, so I'm sure it will be tough for them. I woke them up with my phone call. Talk about an akward call to make. he was pretty cool I guess, I apologized about ten times and he told me it wasn't my fault, but I think he was still a little sleepy when I called him. I don't think they will show any outward anger towards me, they really aren't like that, but who knows how they will feel inside. I've been watching their dogs a couple of weeks every summer for like the past four years, so it wasn't like I didn't know what I was doing. I am still waiting for him to call and say he is back, until then I guess I get to sit here and feel like shit.

SpursWoman
06-30-2006, 11:47 AM
How awful ... I'm so sorry that happened. :(

ShoogarBear
06-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I know you feel bad, but the one positive is that you have been watching their dogs for four years. If this was your first time than I'm sure there would be a lot of guilt and anger, but now I would guess that there is enough trust in you that they truly realize it wasn't anyone's fault.

T Park
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
vizzini as a fellow dog lover thats such a horrible thing.

I hope you feel better.

Maybe watch the Princess Bride to take your mind off of things :)

"Do you know Plato, aristotle, socretes"

"yes"

"Morons"

That little exchange always gives me a chuckle when im down :)

Vizzini
07-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Well, I went back to the place where I was staying, and my roommates brother and his father were there along with his mother-in-law and sister-in-law. I felt so terrible up until I got there, but once I got a chance to talk with them, they were very cool and were themselves very sorry that it had to happen when I was staying there. I guess it appears the dog wasn't stuck under the kennel at all, it just had a seizure or a heart attack and just died. There was very little blood, so they think something just happened to him and he was gone. I felt a million times better after I talked with them, and have now truly realized that there was nothing I could've done. They decided to take the other dog up with them for the rest of the trip, b/c they aren't quite sure how he will react to not having his friend around anymore. I will definetly sleep easier tonight knowing that the dog died of natural causes, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't your fault in the least. Shit happens man, keep your chin up.

MissAllThat
07-01-2006, 01:58 AM
Aww, thats horrible, but it wasn't your fault. The same thing happened to my sister's dog several years ago...well sort of the same thing, and there was nothing the person who was watching it could have done either. I'm glad they're not mad at you.