PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Draft set to be one of the most talented ever.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Article from ESPN Insider:

__________________________________________________ ______

Oden, Noah are head of talented 2007 draft class
By Chad Ford
ESPN Insider
Archive

Is it too early to look ahead to the 2007 NBA Draft?

Not if you're one of the 30 teams interested in seeing Greg Oden, Kevin Durant or Joakim Noah in your uniform.

To see who else is out there, check out the Top 100 for 2007.

NBA scouts are calling next year's draft one of the most talent-laden ever.

Here's why:

AP Photo/NCAA Photos, Ryan McKee
Teams will have to wait a year for Florida's Joakim Noah.

1. The college holdovers
This year, a number of young, talented players decided to skip the draft and return to college for another year. At least three of them, Duke's Josh McRoberts and Florida's Noah and Al Horford, would have been likely lottery picks on Wednesday.

A number of others, including Kansas' Julian Wright, Florida's Corey Brewer, UCLA's Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Arizona's Marcus Williams, North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough and Georgetown's Jeff Green, also would have been likely first-rounders had they decided to declare.

They'll be joined next year, assuming they enter the draft, by a few other up-and-coming college players, such as Alabama's Ronald Steele, Georgetown's Roy Hibbert, Kansas' Brandon Rush and Mario Chalmers, and Colorado State's Jason Smith. That includes some underclassmen who declared for the draft but withdrew because they couldn't get first-round promises -- Colorado's Richard Roby, Pittsburgh's Aaron Gray, UCLA's Arron Afflalo and Nevada's Nick Fazekas, among others.

In short, this might be a draft class rich in college sophomore, junior and senior talent.

2. The incoming freshman
NBA scouts say that this recent high school senior class was the one of the greatest ever. As many as 10 high school players could have made the jump to the NBA if not for the NBA's new higher minimum age requirement.

At the top of the list is center Greg Oden, an Ohio State recruit and a player almost every scout agrees is the best big-man prospect since Tim Duncan.

He's closely followed by sweet-shooting, super-athletic forward Kevin Durant (Texas), forward Thaddeus Young (Georgia Tech) and power forward Brandan Wright.

It doesn't stop there. The incoming guards are pretty good, too -- Chase Budinger (Arizona), Gerald Henderson (Duke), Javaris Crittenton (Georgia Tech), Paul Harris (Syracuse), Wayne Ellington (North Carolina) and Tywon Lawson (North Carolina).

Another 20 or so prospects probably will have to wait until the 2008 draft for the competition to thin out a bit.

3. International men of mystery
Andrea Bargnani became the first Euro ever to be drafted with the No. 1 overall pick. Is it finally hip again to be seen hanging out in international gyms?

If Bargnani proves worthy of the No. 1 pick, you can bet that scouts will be out there trying to find clones.

Brazil's Tiago Splitter tops the list of international prospects. He's declared and withdrawn for three straight drafts, but he won't have that option next year: He's automatically eligible for the 2007 draft and can't withdraw. Given his progress over the past couple of seasons, he's a likely lottery pick.

He's followed by the hottest young name in Europe, Croatia's Ante Tomic, an athletic, super-skilled 7-foot-2 center who actually prefers to play in the post. He has all the tools scouts love in a big man -- but his body needs a lot of work. He'd need to add another 25 to 30 pounds to even think about playing in the post in the NBA. Scouts believe he'll continue to grow into his frame. If he stars in Croatia this year, you're going to hear his name a lot.

The most intriguing name may be China's Jianlian Yi. Yi is the best Chinese prospect since Yao Ming. He has a great deal of experience playing in international competitions and at the highest level in China, and he is an excellent athlete and a skilled offensive player. China has been reluctant to release him to the NBA, but we're hearing next year could be the year.

Other interesting prospects include Russia's Anton Ponkrashov, Lithuania's Renaldas Seibutis, Croatia's Marko Tomas, Italy's Marco Belinelli, France's Nicolas Batum, Spain's Rudy Fernandez, Serbia's Uros Tripkovic and the Ukraine's Kyrylo Fesenko.

Conclusion: Overall the 2007 draft looks loaded, especially with quality bigs. The draft also appears to be strong at the small forward position. Guard play, however, looks to be a little weaker, especially at point guard for the second straight year.

As the Nike and ABCD camps and international tournaments get underway, look for further reports, including our stock watch.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2006, 01:00 PM
On Kevin Durant's profile on NBADraft.net they compare him to T-MAC. And Oden to I believe David Robinson.

JMarkJohns
06-30-2006, 01:11 PM
On Kevin Durant's profile on NBADraft.net they compare him to T-MAC. And Oden to I believe David Robinson.

I'm going to be curious to see whom they compare Chase Budinger to. My guess is some white guy, just because most comparison's fail to reach across race lines.

However, I'd liken him to a potential Julius Erving. I don't think he'll ever be that, but his skills, length and athleticism are right there.

Not many white fellas have the range, length and 44" vertical of Budinger.

They'll probably compare him to Brent Barry :rolleyes

MrChug
06-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Oden...the next David Robinson. He's solid and effective from what I've seen of the 40 HS games or so that they've televised.

ducks
06-30-2006, 01:52 PM
oden should show them and see who has best chance of landing the number pick then deciding if he wants to wait a year

shyne
06-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Is OJ Mayo still playing high school ball?

himat
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
I hope Orlando sucks this year and gives the Pistons a high first round pick :elephant

himat
06-30-2006, 03:05 PM
magic wont suck this year. they will be in the playoffs

Maybe not. Remember how good the Warriors ended the 05 season after they god Baron? Many people thought they'd make the playoffs, but they ended by winning around 35 games. They probably will be good, but of course I hope that doesn't happen
:spin .

Trainwreck2100
06-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe not. Remember how good the Warriors ended the 05 season after they god Baron? Many people thought they'd make the playoffs, but they ended by winning around 35 games. They probably will be good, but of course I hope that doesn't happen
:spin .

Warriors play in a tougher conference and division.

jman3000
06-30-2006, 03:12 PM
Orlando beat a bunch of good teams down the stretch that included SA and I believe Detroit and Miami as well. With their division the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if they were as low as a 6th seed.

Also, Howard continues to get better and better and he should be putting up all-star caliber numbers next season. Judging from last years #'s, it wouldn't surprise me if he was putting up 18 pts 13 rbs and 2 blocks. Which is about what Tim Duncan was putting up when he was his age.

Trainwreck2100
06-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Also the -7 is they year the Spurs get the #1 pick, happened in 87, 97, 07????

jman3000
06-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Also the -7 is they year the Spurs get the #1 pick, happened in 87, 97, 07????

i posted that in the "oh shit" thread...

it would take at least duncan and 1 of the other big 3 to drop to a lottery team (even if parker and gino are out, i still believe this team is a 7-8 seed with duncan carrying the team... maybe not the whole season but a sizable chunk)

BillsCarnage
06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm going to be curious to see whom they compare Chase Budinger to. My guess is some white guy, just because most comparison's fail to reach across race lines.

However, I'd liken him to a potential Julius Erving. I don't think he'll ever be that, but his skills, length and athleticism are right there.

Not many white fellas have the range, length and 44" vertical of Budinger.

They'll probably compare him to Brent Barry :rolleyes

And the Suns have three first round picks in this draft incase you forgot :spin

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
oden should show them and see who has best chance of landing the number pick then deciding if he wants to wait a year

I can't make sense of that garbled pile of words^^ but Oden wears #50 and idolizes DRob so I like him now. Once he gets drafted I'll probably hate him if he gets in battles with the Spurs but, for now gotta have respect for somebody who idolizes the Admiral.

ducks
06-30-2006, 04:24 PM
that may come in handy if suns trade marion next year for cap relief

could get more picks out of it
then try to move further up

FreshPrince22
06-30-2006, 04:58 PM

... that they'll trade for "cash consideration" :lol (sorry)

Pistons have 4 picks in this draft (two 1sts and two 2nds). Hopefully we put together a package to move up.

Then again, the last 3 lotto picks we've had have been Darko, Rodney White, and Mateen Cleaves. :oops Maybe we should stick with the later picks (Tayshaun, Memo, etc)

ShoogarBear
06-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Dammit, beaten to the easy Sarver = cheap lines.

JMarkJohns
06-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Budinger has said on many occasions that he's a 3-year guy. Who knows. His situation is much closer to Joakim Noah than anyone, as his family is pretty wealthy.

He doesn't need money and he wants to win an NCAA title more than anything.

We'll see.

Givony of draftexpress has him as a 2008, top-5 pick.

One kid I'm interested in with one of those later picks is Pendergraph of ASU if he comes out early. 6-9, 220 with instincts and athleticism... A bit raw, but a great prospect at PF.

BillsCarnage
06-30-2006, 06:45 PM
One kid I'm interested in with one of those later picks is Pendergraph of ASU if he comes out early. 6-9, 220 with instincts and athleticism... A bit raw, but a great prospect at PF.

agreed. Could you imagine if Pendergraph and Diagou went to quality college programs? EGADS!!

JMarkJohns
06-30-2006, 07:00 PM
At one point Diogu and Pendergraph were both linked to UA, but Arizona focused on Isaiah Fox (biggest mistake ever) over Omeka Okafor and Ike in 2002 and then felt they didn't have another scholership for Pendergraph.

If only Diogu had comeback last year.

Fox's defense, he was a top-30 prospect while Diogu and Okafor were both bottom-80ish. UConn was hard for Fox as well, lost out and got Okafor. I'd say they won :(

Stat Stuffer: Averaged 20 points and 12 rebounds during his prep career. As a high school senior, set a pair of single-game state championship records for free throws (14) and free throws attempted (18) in a contest in which he scored 30 points and snagged 21 rebounds. In the state regional title game, he also set a record for most rebounds (23) in a contest. In his first two seasons at Arizona, never totaled more than one blocked shot or two assists in a contest.

Damn UA lost out on that toss up. They lose Fox to UConn, they end up with either Diogu or UConn. Fox averaged 4 points and 4 rebounds in college. Damn I'm depressed.

Lost out on Pendergraph as well. Two games into the season, WF Jesus Verdejo announced a transfer, opening up the one scholly UA was lacking to offer Pendergraph.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I'd give your left nut for Greg Oden.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-01-2006, 12:30 AM
and the Nuggets have 4 picks (2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders) :smokin

IcemanCometh
07-01-2006, 12:39 AM
oj mayo is 2008

oden does not have the atheticism of robinson, hes more duncan

Durant is garnett with a 3 point shot