PDA

View Full Version : Mavs to Re-Sign Terry, Extend Dirk...

LEONARD
06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
:fro :fro :fro

and hopefully extend JHo and his crazy game... :smokin

--------------

New deals expected for Mavs' Terry, Dirk

01:07 AM CDT on Friday, June 30, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The Mavericks will open the free-agency period Friday night by taking care of their own.

Jason Terry and the Mavericks are expected to reach an agreement on a new contract in quick fashion when free agents and teams can begin negotiations Friday night at 11:01 p.m., a source said Thursday.

Re-signing Terry, the Mavs' second-leading scorer last season at 17.1 points per game, is the team's No. 1 priority. Teams and players can have dialogue starting Friday night. Players officially can sign contracts July 12, but agreements normally are reached much sooner.

Mavericks/NBA
Chat wrap: Eddie Sefko on the Mavs (6/28)

New deals expected for Terry, Dirk

Moore: Terry, Nowitzki vital

Ager drilled in NBA ways

Maurice Ager bio, stats

Mind Reader: Maurice Ager

Cuban's role in Penguins minimal

More Mavericks
In addition to the Mavs re-signing Terry, 28, the source added that Dirk Nowitzki's contract will be extended for three seasons soon after negotiations can begin.

Nowitzki, 28, will earn $15.1 million next season and $16.3 million in 2007-08. He can be extended at any number up to 10 ½ percent more or less of $16.3 million. If he gets the maximum raise, as expected, his deal would be worth more than $20 million in its final season and keep him in a Mavericks uniform until he's 33.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has a reputation for getting things done quickly when the free-agent period opens. Three years ago, he was in Miami to woo Alonzo Mourning the minute contact was allowed.

After the Mavericks lost in the NBA Finals to Miami, Terry said he expected to re-sign with the Mavericks. The starting salary was not known. He earned $6.66 million last season.

Terry's agent, Dan Fagan, would not return phone calls. Fagan also represents Mavericks center Erick Dampier. It's possible Terry's starting price on a new contract would mirror those of guards Cuttino Mobley and Bobby Simmons, who signed free-agent deals last season.

Mobley's deal began at $7.2 million in the first season. Simmons' deal started at $8 million.

Meanwhile, Nowitzki has remained in Dallas since the season ended. Normally, he would already be home in Germany. Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks' president of basketball operations said earlier this week that extending the five-time all-star's deal is likely to happen.

The Mavericks' other issue to resolve is a contract extension for Josh Howard. That, too, apparently will happen in a timely manner, the source said. Howard's rookie-scale contract is set to pay him about $1.5 million for the coming season. The Mavericks can extend him up for up to six seasons, probably at a starting salary similar to or below Terry's.

When players were doing exit interviews last week, Howard was asked about an extension.

"I think anyone would [want one]," he said. "But right now, we've got to take care of J.T."

While Terry and Mavericks officials are eager for his return, all parties know that when negotiations begin, things can change. In 2004, the Mavericks were hoping to re-sign Steve Nash, but Phoenix came in with an offer that Nash could not refuse and the Mavericks were unwilling to match.

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Mavs better be careful and not overpay Terry...

davi78239
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Mavs better be careful and not overpay Terry...

Yea, be careful guys.

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Yea, be careful guys.

:lol

shaggy17
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM

Ummmm why do you have cuban stuff but have parker as your log in name???

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Ummmm why do you have cuban stuff but have parker as your log in name???

1p1 is a spurs fan.. lost a bet. just temporary i am guessing..

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 12:59 PM
1p1 is a spurs fan.. lost a bet. just temporary i am guessing..

:tu You are a smart Kings fan atxrocker...

and yes, it's only temporary.

shaggy17
06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
:) Sorry ya lost. Bet against the Spurs next year for good luck if the betting gods dont like you :lol :lol

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
:) Sorry ya lost. Bet against the Spurs next year for good luck if the betting gods dont like you :lol :lol

:lol That's the smartest advice I've heard.

Supergirl
06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure the Mavs shouldn't let Terry go, personally. I think Devin Harris is a much better player, and should be their starting PG. If they overpay him, it will be a mistake.

When's Diop due for a new contract? I also think the Mavs would be wise to make him their priority center - Dampier is overpaid but they shouldn't let Diop go because of it.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure the Mavs shouldn't let Terry go, personally. I think Devin Harris is a much better player, and should be their starting PG. If they overpay him, it will be a mistake.

I gotta agree about Harris. During these playoffs the kid impressed me with his glimpses of solid play. He is very fast and if developed properly could turn into a star calibur player, imo. Really the only guy I like on the Mavs. He has tons of potential and upside. Dallas would be wise to be patient with him and allow him to grow.

1Parker1
06-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Harris reminds me of a young Tony Parker, except he's a little taller and can defend a little better.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Harris reminds me of a young Tony Parker, except he's a little taller and can defend a little better.

he should sure hope so. if this is true he has a very bright future ahead of him indeed.

Winnipeg_Spur
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
After the Mavericks lost in the NBA Finals to Miami, Terry said he expected to re-sign with the Mavericks. The starting salary was not known. He earned $6.66 million last season.
That explains a lot! :devil

mabber
06-30-2006, 04:34 PM

When's Diop due for a new contract? I also think the Mavs would be wise to make him their priority center - Dampier is overpaid but they shouldn't let Diop go because of it.

Harris is going to be their starting PG. Terry is going to play the 2 which is where he really should be anyway.

sprrs
06-30-2006, 04:39 PM

For the moment though, it would be a good idea to keep Terry just because of that shooting touch. I don't know if he should be starting with his crappy defense, but keeping him would be a good idea.