PDA

View Full Version : Romain Sato to Phoenix?

PhxDog
06-30-2006, 03:09 PM
There was a report on local radio that the Suns are planning to sign Sato. They have an opening in their rotation at guard--the Eddie House spot--and (probably) only the minimum salary to offer, so if Sato is any good, he's got a chance to win PT on the Suns.

Since he was drafted by the Spurs, I thought you guys might know more about him than the draft-day scouting reports. Thanks in advance...

Kori Ellis
06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Scouting Report: He's a little under 6'5 and has a 7' wingspan. He's athletic, a good rebounder, can shoot and defend. He's a bad ball handler and doesn't slash or move without the ball.

He was really disappointing here. He never even played well in practice, didn't improve on anything, and the Spurs released him. There's rumors that he's the reason that Spurs scout Lance Blanks (who picked Sato) was let go.

PhxDog
06-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Very interesting. Thanks.

The Suns probably don't mind if he doesn't move without the ball, but he'll need to have cleaned up his ball-handling if he wants to share a backcourt with Barbosa.

FWIW, here's the latest I've seen on him:

Winterthur FCB adds Romain Sato

Winterthur FC Barcelona improved its roster for the Spanish League playoffs by inking forward Romain Sato for the remainder of the season. Sato (195, 25) arrives from Sicc Jesi in the Italian League second division. He averaged 25.6 points and 7.5 rebounds in 27 regular season games, but boosted his numbers up to 35 points and 14.6 rebounds in the playoffs. Sato also shined throughout his four-year NCAA career in Xavier University, averaging 16.3 points and 8 rebounds in his senior year, making it to the Atlantic 10 All-Tournament and All-Defensive team. Sato replaced Ed Cota, whose contract expired at the end of the Spanish League regular season. Winterthur FCB may sign a center to replace Bootsy Thornton, whose injury may keep him sidelined longer than expected. In other news, Shammond Williams may miss Game 1 of the Spanish League quarterfinals against Real Madrid due to a small injury.

May 17, 2006 Euroleague.net

koopa
06-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Scouting Report: He's a little under 6'5 and has a 7' wingspan. He's athletic, a good rebounder, can shoot and defend. He's a bad ball handler and doesn't slash or move without the ball.

He was really disappointing here. He never even played well in practice, didn't improve on anything, and the Spurs released him. There's rumors that he's the reason that Spurs scout Lance Blanks (who picked Sato) was let go.

oh, i always thought it was because he was the worse commentator ever

BillsCarnage
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
He's coming to the Summer camp with a shot to make the team. Supposedly, from reports, he's doing pretty good in.. Italy.

sa_butta
06-30-2006, 04:15 PM
He looked good in college, I sure expected more out of him after a good performance in the NCAA tournament.

ducks
06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
whott will be ticked