PDA

View Full Version : Lakers show interest in Cassell.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 05:01 PM
This is from the New York Daily News. There is a link below.

__________________________________________________ _____
Free-agent crop drops

If you thought Wednesday's NBA draft was full of suspects, welcome to the equally uninspiring free-agent class of 2006.
Other than a handful of worthy players - Detroit's Ben Wallace, Indiana's Peja Stojakovic, Sacramento's Bonzi Wells, Dallas' Jason Terry, Atlanta's Al Harrington and the Clippers' Sam Cassell - the crop that goes on the market tonight at 12:01 a.m. is one of the slimmest in years.

Wallace appears to be on the way out in Detroit, where the Pistons are thinking of using the big money they don't want to give their starting center to make a run at Wells. Wallace, a four-time Defensive Player of the Year during his six seasons in Detroit, has been mentioned in Washington and Chicago.

The Mavs have every intention of re-signing Terry, while the Lakers have discussed bringing in Cassell. The Pacers want to re-sign Stojakovic, while the Hawks are hoping to pull off a sign-and-trade to move Harrington.

Several teams, including Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, the Clippers, Charlotte and New Orleans/Oklahoma City, will have money to spend as they will be under the projected $51million salary cap for next season. Although teams can reach verbal agreements with players starting tonight after midnight, the actual signings can't happen until July 12.

Mitch Lawrence

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/431289p-363496c.html

DirkAB
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't suprise me if he ended up on the Heat.

FreshPrince22
06-30-2006, 06:11 PM

I don't see him as a ring chaser. He already has rings. He'll want the entire MLE at the very least. Didn't Riley say he wanted to "Get younger" anyways?

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Apparently, Kobe is lobbying for Cassell to become a Laker.

Probably means that Marcus Banks will wind up elsewhere as Cassell would take up all of the MLE.

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM

Nah. I don't think he'll settle for being Jason Williams' back-up.

Quadzilla99
06-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Nah. I don't think he'll settle for being Jason Williams' back-up.

He could start ahead of Jason Williams at age 45. He won't be going there to be a backup. Williams will ride the pine if he goes there.

East Coast Babe
07-01-2006, 12:30 AM
Not keeping Cassell might do in the Clippers next year at play-off time.

DaSpurs#1
07-01-2006, 01:28 AM
well the if Cassell were to go to Lakers then the Clippers "rise" would come to an extreme halt...

NBA Junkie
07-01-2006, 02:20 AM
I think Cassell stays put if he gets at least a 2 year deal. If not he'll bolt.

Shaun Livingston is turning into a nice player, but he's not the cold blooded assasin that Cassell is in the clutch, plus he needs at least another year of seasoning before he handles the point on a full-time basis.

NBA Junkie
07-01-2006, 02:25 AM
He could start ahead of Jason Williams at age 45. He won't be going there to be a backup. Williams will ride the pine if he goes there.

I think Payton comes back next season for one more year, plus he comes cheaper than Cassell will.

If not, I see the Heat possibly going after a younger PG, like say, Speedy Claxton.