PDA

View Full Version : Toronto trades Villanueva to Bucks for TJ Ford

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 10:04 PM
early word is a Ford to toronto for Villanueva trade is in the works. no link yet but this would be an interesting move if true... thoughts?

RON ARTEST
06-30-2006, 10:08 PM
i know why the raptors did it but i have no idea why the bucks did it. are they gonna start mo williams at point guard?

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Sounds awful for Milwaukee.

Big P
06-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Just saw it on ESPN News

RON ARTEST
it is awful for the bucks. who are they gonna start at center because theres rumors that they are trying to trade jamaal magloire.

atxrocker

i agree but the uncertainty about t.j being able to remain injury free played a role in it i assume

Bob Lanier
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Bucks: Mo Williams - Michael Redd - Bobby Simmons - Charlie Villanueva - Andrew Bogut
Raptors: TJ Ford - Mo Peterson - Andrea Bargnani - Chris Bosh - Rasho Nesterovic

Mutually beneficial. The Bucks lose the injury-prone midget who doesn't have a jumpshot and is abused by everyone and gain a legit 4 to allow Bogut to play out of the low post. I assume Magloire will be traded later. The Raps get a point guard who can pass and push the tempo.

Solid D
06-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Wowzers! :wow

furry_spurry
06-30-2006, 10:11 PM
early word is a Ford to toronto for Villanueva. no link yet but this would be an interesting move if true... thoughts?
Watch out for the Raptors!! Villanueva is their most likely trade asset to get a PG.

Then they can go after Peja for SF. They have the cap room.

Rasho
Bosh
Peja
Peterson
Ford

:)

Bargnani off the bench.

JUUOT
06-30-2006, 10:12 PM
FUCK! Colangelo is not shy when comes time to pull a trigger. Mike James is now on the market

Slinkyman
06-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Colangelo got his steve nash

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Watch out for the Raptors!! Villanueva is their most likely trade asset to get a PG.

Rasho
Bosh
Peja
Peterson
Ford

Bargnani off the bench.

that would be a pretty sick lineup. i like peja in that lineup. it would be pretty potent.

RON ARTEST
06-30-2006, 10:15 PM
i agree but the uncertainty about t.j being able to remain injury free played a role in it i assume
he played 72 games this year though. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tj_ford/index.html

furry_spurry
Go Raptors!! :)

And still tons of cap room!!

I like how Colangelo works. While everyone was thinking about the draft, he traded for a center. While everyone is thinking about FA's, he trades for a PG. The team has filled their 2 most pressing needs without even dealing with free agency and all the tons of cap room.

JUUOT
Toronto starts looking really good.

rasho
bosh
bargnani/graham
mopett
tjford/calderon

smells playoff my friends and that means i get to see a play off game for the first time of my life?

furry_spurry
06-30-2006, 10:16 PM
FUCK! Colangelo is not shy when comes time to pull a trigger. Mike James is now on the market
James was NEVER going back to Toronto.

RON ARTEST

Rasho
Bosh
Peja
Peterson
Ford

Bargnani off the bench.thats a pretty good lineup but it would still be tough for them to make the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
Well there are more than a few point guards on the market. The Bucks could throw most of their exception at one if they had to.

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm going to merge the threads into the NBA forum soon.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 10:18 PM
um.. this is being discussed in the nba forum

spurs=bling
06-30-2006, 10:21 PM
:spless:

Pistons < Spurs
06-30-2006, 10:24 PM
That would be a great move by the Bucks. Charlie V > TJ Ford.

How funny would it be if the Bucks then signed Mike James! (I don't know if this is possible from a finance standpoint ... just throwing something out there)

Mike James - Michael Redd - Bobby Simmons - Charlie Villanueva - Andrew Bogut

Slinkyman
06-30-2006, 10:26 PM
ESPN.com Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2506311)

ChumpDumper
06-30-2006, 10:28 PM
The Bucks should be able to spend their entire MLE without going over the tax threshold, so getting another point shouldn't be a big problem.

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Marcus Banks could be the Bucks next PG.

Spurologist
06-30-2006, 10:31 PM
I like this trade for the raptors. I am still not sold on Villanueva, but the bucks will have a nice trio with Bogut/Magloire/Villananueva. But Check the Raptors 06-07 lineup.

TJ Ford/Calderon/Barrett
M. James/Calderon/Barrett
Peterson/Tucker/Graham
Andrea Bargnani/Graham/Tucker/Humpries
Bosh/Rasho/Humpries

Impressive

Spurologist
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Marcus Banks could be the Bucks next PG.

Maurice Williams

Cant_Be_Faded
06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
damn toronto is gonna be better next year

Rip-Hamilton32
06-30-2006, 10:33 PM
lol..great trade...bosh and ford are good friends also

furry_spurry
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I like this trade for the raptors. I am still not sold on Villanueva, but the bucks will have a nice trio with Bogut/Magloire/Villananueva. But Check the Raptors 06-07 lineup.

TJ Ford/Calderon/Barrett
M. James/Calderon/Barrett
Peterson/Tucker/Graham
Andrea Bargnani/Graham/Tucker/Humpries
Bosh/Rasho/Humpries

Impressive
No James. He'll be gone.

Bosh at PF & Rasho starting at center.

Bargnani off the bench.

Add in Garbajosa, too.

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Getting Villaneuva also enables the Bucks to move Andrew Bogut to Center-his natural position.

Don't rule out Banks. He can be had anywhere from 3-5 mil.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-30-2006, 10:36 PM
im from toronto..charlie v was a fan favorite but now they'll win games

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Toronto could be doing a sign-and-trade, sending James to Dallas for swingman Marquis Daniels and a few other throw-ins.

Slinkyman
06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Getting Villaneuva also enables the Bucks to move Andrew Bogut to Center-his natural position.

Don't rule out Banks. He can be had anywhere from 3-5 mil.

Banks wants the full MLE

baseline bum
06-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I love this deal for Toronto. Ford running an uptempo offense like theirs will be a beautiful thing.

Burn531
06-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Toronto could be doing a sign-and-trade, sending James to Dallas for swingman Marquis Daniels and a few other throw-ins.

That would work out well. Terry can be SG and James can start at point.

NBA Junkie
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Banks wants the full MLE

That's his asking price. Whether or not he'll get it remains to be seen.

Remember, he was a virtual unknown until the Wolves acquired him and gave him playing time. I'm not sure if he did enough to justify a hefty increase in pay.

Bob Lanier
06-30-2006, 10:53 PM
That would work out well. Terry can be SG and James can start at point.
That would be funny. Now, instead of just refusing to pass to T-Mac, Yao, and Bosh, James can refuse to pass to the entire team and jack up 25 shots a game.

Burn531
06-30-2006, 10:55 PM
That would be funny. Now, instead of just refusing to pass to T-Mac, Yao, and Bosh, James can refuse to pass to the entire team and jack up 25 shots a game.

:lol yeah I guess they both like to shoot.

Rip-Hamilton32
06-30-2006, 11:02 PM
lol..he shot at a high % why not

Sense
06-30-2006, 11:11 PM
This is either retarded or very nice

Pistons < Spurs
06-30-2006, 11:12 PM

He did average 5.8 assists this year. I wouldn't call that someone who refuses to pass the ball.

And as mentioned, his FG% was very nice, 46.9% including 3pt FG% of 44.2%. (and he shot 83% from the line) You really can't complain about the performance of James this year. He was extremely efficent and a good distributor.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 11:14 PM
The Milwaukee Bucks traded point guard T.J. Ford to the Toronto Raptors on Friday night for forward Charlie Villanueva and cash.

T.J. Ford
Point Guard
Milwaukee Bucks

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
72 12.2 4.3 6.6 .416 .754

Ford averaged 12.2 points and a team-high 6.6 assists in 72 games last season following a spinal-cord injury that sidelined him for a season and a half.

"He was an inspiration to all of us when he found the will and strength to fight back from the neck injury he suffered during his rookie season," Bucks general manager Larry Harris said. "We wish him much success in Toronto."

The 6-foot Ford was the No. 8 pick in the 2003 draft.

"We are sorry to see Charlie leave, but getting better comes at a cost," Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said. "T.J. Ford's best attributes, quickness and playmaking, are a perfect fit for our team."

Charlie Villanueva
Forward
Toronto Raptors

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
81 13.0 6.4 1.1 .463 .706

Harris hopes Villanueva will fill the team's need for a power forward to complement 7-foot center Andrew Bogut, the top pick in the 2005 draft.

The 6-foot-11 Villanueva, selected seventh overall in the 2005 draft, averaged 13.0 points and 6.4 rebounds in 81 games for the Raptors. The former Connecticut star set Toronto rookie records for points with 48 on March 26 at Milwaukee and rebounds with 18 on April 2 against New Orleans.

"Acquiring Charlie takes care of a primary need we had going into the summer," Harris said. "He's a gifted power forward who knows how to score both inside and outside. ... The outstanding rookie season he had last year is only the beginning of what he's capable of achieving."

The Bucks, with a revamped roster and Ford as floor leader, reached the playoffs with a 40-42 record last season. It was a 10-game improvement from the previous season when they didn't make the playoffs.

In the playoffs, they lost 4-1 to Detroit in the first round.

On Wednesday, the Raptors selected Andrea Bargnani with the No. 1 pick in the draft. The 6-foot-10 European has drawn comparisons to Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki because of his outside shooting skills. Playing last season for Benetton Treviso in Italy's Lega A, Bargnani shot 37 percent from 3-point range, and the Raptors might have viewed Villanueva as expendable after drafting Bargnani.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2506311

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
lmfao@ Pistons < Spurs quote in sig.. awesome

Bob Lanier
06-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Allen Iverson averaged 7.4 APG last year. I don't care what kind of percentage James shot; he was still an extremely selfish player who does not defer to better options and doesn't like to make non-assist passes.

Now the Raptors have essentially the opposite problem; Ford doesn't mind passing but can't do anything else.

Burn531
06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Colangelo is building a better team in a week than Rob Babcock did in one and half years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
The Raps also got cash considerations.

Horry For 3!
06-30-2006, 11:21 PM
Raptors can run with TJ Ford. Ford pairs back up with PJ Tucker which the Raptors drafted.

mookie2001
06-30-2006, 11:25 PM
pj wasnt on the final four team

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Raptors can run with TJ Ford. Ford pairs back up with PJ Tucker which the Raptors drafted.

i was wondering where the fuck tucker ended up. damn.

pwilliam
06-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Wait a year and Charlie Villanueva can develop into an 18-8 guy. The Raptors should then be able to get a lot more in return if they trade CV a year later. Bad trade for the Raptors. :madrun

Pistons < Spurs
06-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Allen Iverson averaged 7.4 APG last year. I don't care what kind of percentage James shot; he was still an extremely selfish player who does not defer to better options and doesn't like to make non-assist passes.

Better options? Who exactly was he supposed to pass the ball to that would be considered a better option?

J. Graham
C. Villanueva
L. Woods
J. Calderon
M. Peterson
R. Araujo
A. Barrett
P. Sow
D. Martin
E. Williams
M. James
C. Bosh
M. Bonner
A. Williams

IMO the better players on a team tend to be somewhat selfish in their play.

It's not like James was surrounded by playmakers ... great shooters ... or guys that consistently got open.

I guess we agree to disagree on James's play.

Now the Raptors have essentially the opposite problem; Ford doesn't mind passing but can't do anything else.

I do agree though that TJ is sooo very one dimensional in his play. Honestly, if he wasn't faster than Speedy Gonzalez, he wouldn't even be in the league.

atxrocker
06-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Wait a year and Charlie Villanueva can develop into an 18-8 guy. The Raptors should then be able to get a lot more in return if they trade CV a year later. Bad trade for the Raptors. :madrun

actually the more i think about it, the more i like this move for both teams. i mean colangelo knows what he is doing. i think if t.j remains healthy he could do an awesome job running their offense and really make guys around him better. villanueva, despite my dislike for the guy will be great in the bucks lineup, imo. should workout pretty well for all partys involved.

IcemanCometh
07-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Colangelo is a great gm, toronto is gonna be a good team

atxrocker
07-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Colangelo is a great gm, toronto is gonna be a good team

:tu :tu

IcemanCometh
07-01-2006, 02:34 AM
also charlie villanueva reminds me way too much of derrick coleman. i would stay the fuck away from him

timvp
07-01-2006, 04:05 AM
I think it was a great trade by Milwaukee. TJ Ford is one fall from his career being over. Charlie V was easily the second best rookie last year. Now they have a team with the second and third best rookies of the draft.

Plus Charlie Bell exploded when he got to start last year. I bet he's another reason they felt they could lose TJ.

Colangelo gets owned for the second trade in a row.

alamo50
07-01-2006, 04:59 AM
So now Gadzuric or Magloire will come to San Antonio?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2006, 05:06 AM
gadzuric i dont mind,

magloire is overrated.

Kamnik
07-01-2006, 08:06 AM
thats a pretty good lineup but it would still be tough for them to make the playoffs.

my grandma could make the playoffs in the east :lol

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 08:22 AM
They are planning to move Bogut to center after they trade Magloire like they have always have eventually planned to do since he was drafted. I like this trade for Milwaukee. Ford cant shoot (most guys who cant shoot always can't shoot so don't say he can get a jump shot or I'll give you 500 examples of guys who never developed one) and Villanueva has star potential. I have League Pass and watched his 48 point game last year and he was amazing. Showed tons of skills. Ford is overrated and a liability in the halfcourt because of his lack of a jumper and thin frame. You're trading a decent point guard for a potential star. Plus not only do they have Mo Willimas but they also got Charlie Bell who played well for them last year. Great, great move by Milwaukee. The only negative I can think of is that since Villanueva, Bogut, Joe Smith, and Gadzuric are all of thin frame they will be vulnerable to strength mismatches inside. But Bogut will probably hit the weights this offseason.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 08:31 AM
brilliant takes as usual from the tv watching crowd

I can't for the life of me figure out what he's getting at with that, but whatever.

BgT
07-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Colangelo gets owned for the second trade in a row.

:lol :lol :lmao Hehe, well... I'm serious now, just a second... :lol

We disagree on this one, I guess. Colangelo made two great trades for his team. He needed a center and a PG. The center trade was brilliant. He gave two garbage players (one of them is a cancer player, making problems in the locker room all the time) for a legitimate center. The second one is more equal for both teams. CV is a PF who can (should) play limited minutes as SF. "PF + Toronto" = BOSH. Most important he is still a talent, we don't know how much is he going to develop. Toronto also received cash, they have plenty of cap room with all positions filled up (they will probably get a starting SF now). The Italian can play SF, Garbajosa is on his way to Raptors and they might try to get Stojakovic, too.

Colangelo gets owned? Pleeease. He is doing a great job and I'm really surprised, I didn't know hehad these skills.

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 12:43 PM
:lol :lol :lmao Hehe, well... I'm serious now, just a second... :lol

We disagree on this one, I guess. Colangelo made two great trades for his team. He needed a center and a PG. The center trade was brilliant. He gave two garbage players (one of them is a cancer player, making problems in the locker room all the time) for a legitimate center. The second one is more equal for both teams. CV is a PF who can (should) play limited minutes as SF. "PF + Toronto" = BOSH. Most important he is still a talent, we don't know how much is he going to develop. Toronto also received cash, they have plenty of cap room with all positions filled up (they will probably get a starting SF now). The Italian can play SF, Garbajosa is on his way to Raptors and they might try to get Stojakovic, too.

Colangelo gets owned? Pleeease. He is doing a great job and I'm really surprised, I didn't know hehad these skills.

A big thing people keep forgetting is this: Toronto met their 2 biggest needs by trading for players with shorter term and/or cheaper contracts than what would have been necessary in the FA market. All the while, they didn't have to worry about convincing guys to go to Toronto. Rasho will love the city. And most importantly, they kept tons of cap room that would have been eaten up by signing FA's instead of unloading contracts to get players. Don't forget the first trade for Humphries either.

IcemanCometh
07-01-2006, 01:15 PM
charlie v has reached the ceiling of his potential. he doesn't have the mental or emotional makeup to become a star in the league.

Supreme Allah
07-01-2006, 01:46 PM
charlie v has reached the ceiling of his potential. he doesn't have the mental or emotional makeup to become a star in the league.

Who are you? His damn psychiatrist?

timvp
07-01-2006, 04:29 PM
:lol @ Slovenians and UT Homers hopping on the Toronto bandwagon.

Classic.

Kamnik
07-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Classic.

maybe :lol

nah im still a spurs fan

but.... to say colangelo got owned in both trades if just silly and maybe a bit too confident to say

i think raptors will be great next year-playoffs for sure

in 2 or 3 years when andrea and bosh really hit off... who knows

exstatic
07-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I just love all of the LOVE that TJ Ford gets in this forum, when he's really Tony Parker Lite, and the hatred for Parker literally oozes in this forum. TJ, while he's cat quick, and has great court vision, makes Tony Parker look like Ray Allen when shooting the rock.

Supreme Allah
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
I just love all of the LOVE that TJ Ford gets in this forum, when he's really Tony Parker Lite, and the hatred for Parker literally oozes in this forum. TJ, while he's cat quick, and has great court vision, makes Tony Parker look like Ray Allen when shooting the rock.

Yes. As a bucks fan, I loved TJ, from baseline to baseline noone was faster than TJ. He had great court vision, passing ability, and could grab rebounds very well, but he will never be the next Steve Nash people dub him to be until he can open up the court with his jumper.

CV and Bogut will be the best frontcourt in the NBA in a few years, and with those two in the middle. I can only imagine the open looks Michael Redd is going to have. Redd could drop 30 a game this year with these two.

Another good part about this trade is that now we will probably run the offense through Bogut. His size, post skills, and passing ability will be deadly once he matures and starts drawing double teams.

SLOVENIAN 8
07-02-2006, 01:10 PM
[link removed]

:smokin :smokin

Burn531
07-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Damn I never realized he could get up like that. :spless:

atxrocker
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
i like ford and if he can remain healthy then he should be successful in toronto. he is a better player then most give him credit for and can hustle. we will see how it turns out.

IcemanCometh
07-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Charlie V scored 48 pts in a game last year, the next 2 games he scored 13 and 4.

BgT
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM

Classic.
Nah, I will be here at the end of this season and I'm going to quote your post about Colangelo getting "owned again".
They might got more for CV, but saying Raps got owned is a bit of exaggeration. As I said, time will tell...