ducks
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Johnny Ludden: Spurs dip into free-agent market for big man

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...er.16d674f.html

Spurs dip into free-agent market for big man

Web Posted: 07/01/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs began the NBA's free-agency period late Friday with 11 players on their roster, another on the way and one sizeable hole to fill in the middle of their starting lineup.

With Rasho Nesterovic traded and Nazr Mohammed beginning his free-agent adventure, the Spurs' primary need this off-season is size. That could come in the form of a center — possibly even Mohammed himself — or a forward long and versatile enough to allow Tim Duncan to move over and play center.

The Spurs expect to finalize an agreement with 6-foot-10 Lithuanian Robertas Javtokas, a 2001 second-round draft pick of the team, and sign him once the league's moratorium ends July 12. While Javtokas will compete for a consistent role in the rotation, team officials don't view him as a starter.

Mohammed could re-inherit that job, depending on what offers he receives. But the Spurs also will explore other free-agent and trade options.

Mohammed made $5.5 million last season, and the Spurs discussed with him in training camp a four-year extension averaging about the same. He tabled the talks hoping to secure a five-year deal in free agency — either from the Spurs or another team.

The Spurs are allowed to re-sign Mohammed up to the league's maximum salary, but it remains to be seen whether they're even willing to put their previous offer back on the table.

Mohammed started the final 30 games of the regular season, averaging 7.8 points and 6.0 rebounds in 21.6 minutes. The Spurs went 23-7 during that time.

But when the Spurs' coaches decided to go small to match up with Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals, he totaled 15 minutes in the seven-game series.

Mohammed's poor hands made him turnover-prone, particularly when trying to catch dump-off passes from Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. He also sometimes tested coach Gregg Popovich's patience by being out of position defensively.

Still, when given consistent minutes, Mohammed usually produced. He's an effective rebounder and underrated scorer. In an important late-season game against Phoenix, he scored a career-high 30 points and took 16 rebounds. He also improved his free-throw shooting to a career-best 78.5 percent. Among the Spurs, only Michael Finley shot better from the line.

Despite his lack of playing time in the playoffs, Mohammed said at the end of the season he was open to returning. Nesterovic's trade to Toronto last week may have increased the Spurs' attractiveness.

Of the five teams with salary-cap room, Mohammed's hometown Chicago Bulls are expected to have the most interest in him. The Bulls, however, are expected to first explore signing either Detroit's Ben Wallace or Portland's Joel Przybilla, generally considered the top two centers in a weak free-agent market.

Though Wallace is out of the Spurs' price range — they have only cap exceptions of $5million and $1.75million to spend — they likely will talk to Pryzbilla. A 26-year-old, 7-foot-1 shot blocker, Przybilla would probably fit well in the Spurs' defensive scheme playing next to Duncan.

The Spurs are limited to offering Przybilla a five-year contract worth $29 million, slightly less than the most he can receive from Portland in a sign-and-trade deal. Przybilla complained publicly about the lack of effort from some of his Trail Blazers' teammates late last season but hasn't ruled out re-signing with the team. Chicago's cap room, along with its close proximity to Przybilla's home in Milwaukee, seem to give the Bulls the advantage.

The Spurs also will explore trading for a center. Milwaukee's Jamaal Magloire is on the market, and Philadelphia and Chicago could entertain trades, respectively, for Samuel Dalembert and Tyson Chandler. Dalembert and Chandler would fit well with the Spurs. Both are young, run the floor well and block shots. Both, however, also have significant contracts: Dalembert has five years and $55.7million remaining; Chandler, five years and $54million.

The Spurs have looked into trading Brent Barry and the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola, but they also may need Mohammed's cooperation in a sign-and-trade to pull off a deal. Interest in Scola, so far, has been lukewarm.

If the Spurs don't trade Scola, they would likely leave him overseas. Because Scola has a $3.5million buyout with his Spanish team, he is expected to seek a contract averaging about $4million annually, a figure the Spurs — for now — don't appear willing to pay given they already have four power forwards under contract. That doesn't include Javtokas, who also can play the position.

Another option for the Spurs would be to try to sign an athletic forward such as Washington's Jared Jeffries, the Los Angeles Clippers' Vladimir Radmanovic or Phoenix's Tim Thomas and move Duncan to center. Radmanovic, who the Spurs once tried to acquire in a proposed trade for Malik Rose, and Thomas can space the floor with their shooting, but neither defends well. Jeffries is a restricted free agent, allowing the Wizards to match any offer he receives.

The Spurs also hope to find a third point guard — Popovich seems content with using Beno Udrih to back up Parker — and an athletic swingman, but they probably won't invest much money in either.

"What we want," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "is to remain versatile."

[email protected]

ducks
07-01-2006, 12:30 AM
SO SCOLA wants 4 million a year
the number one draft pick is making 4.3 million a year

hummmm....

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 12:33 AM
The Spurs also hope to find a third point guard — Popovich seems content with using Beno Udrih to back up Parker — and an athletic swingman, but they probably won't invest much money in either.

So i guess no speedy

Interest in Scola, so far, has been lukewarm.

very unfortunite

ducks
07-01-2006, 12:34 AM
is scola worth 4 million?

ChumpDumper
07-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Good luck, Luis.

ducks
07-01-2006, 12:36 AM
scola could be plan d and by then might settle for 3 million a year

THE SIXTH MAN
is scola worth 4 million?
:nope

duncan2k5
if we get both jeffries and Joel (which doesn't seem possible at all...that would ease some of the post-season heartbreak. but i perfer Joel...dude is a beast. he blocks everything and rebounds well.

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 12:54 AM
From the article it seems like the spurs will go after a center or athletic foward not both, that is unless we can somehow trade for Magloire and then sign either Jeffries or Radmanovic.

MannyIsGod
07-01-2006, 01:22 AM
No way in hell the Spurs pay Scola 4 mil per. Thats pretty damn outrageous. I doubt we will ever see Luis in a Spurs uni. I'm not dissapointed with that because it is on Scola and his contract, not the Spurs. Hopefully they can move him for something worthwhile.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Swapped Nesterovic for Javtokas. Good.

Maybe sign Przbylla. Not a lot of other options for the MLE here that fill a need.

Looks like another year of flawed Nazr Mohammed and Beno Udrih.

A good chance of trading Brent Barry for dreck (JR Smith type).

Very likely our starting lineup does not change from the end of the season, with the bench gaining no game-changing talent and staying as old and ineffectual as it was in the playoffs.

Luis Scola stays in Europe until the end of his contract. This is his fault and the fault of TAU, who obviously does not reward good behavior or good soldiers with helping them attain their dreams.

Dre_7
07-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Id rather have Tim Thomas than The Pryz.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 01:46 AM
I'd rather have Bonzi Wells than Tim Thomas.

AMOS7
07-01-2006, 01:48 AM
I'd love to have Tim Thomas here

milkyway21
07-01-2006, 01:48 AM

so Beno remains a Spur next season.

Dre_7
07-01-2006, 01:50 AM
I'd rather have Bonzi Wells than Tim Thomas.

SA needs length and athleticism (not to mention a big). Wells is a two, the Spurs are stacked there. Thomas would be perfect. An athletic four who can play the three as well.

Dre_7
07-01-2006, 01:51 AM

For the MILLIONTH TIME, MIKE GANSEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Tim Thomas hasn't cared about the game of basketball in his life. At least Bonzi Wells has.

Dre_7
07-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Tim Thomas hasn't cared about the game of basketball in his life. At least Bonzi Wells has.

Not the Thomas I saw in the playoffs. Plus, playing under Pop would be great for him as well. He is a perfect fit.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 01:57 AM
"What we want," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said, "is to remain versatile."

One would think it necessary to be versatile in order to remain versatile.

Dre_7
07-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Hey RC, did you say versatile? As in a guy who can fill multiple positions? Like a Tim Thomas?

T Park
07-01-2006, 02:52 AM
good chance of trading Brent Barry for dreck (JR Smith type).

Very likely our starting lineup does not change from the end of the season, with the bench gaining no game-changing talent and staying as old and ineffectual as it was in the playoffs

No wait.

They trade Barry for Smith, a younger player, and the bench stays old?

How does that work exactly.....

Not going for a Speedy and settling on the slovenian turnover slut is a huge mistake.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 03:05 AM
No wait.

They trade Barry for Smith, a younger player, and the bench stays old?

How does that work exactly.....

I said he was dreck, didn't I? JR Smith on the bench might as well not even be there.

Not going for a Speedy and settling on the slovenian turnover slut is a huge mistake.

The Spurs just don't have much to work with, but I agree that Speedy is the game-changing type of player we vitally need.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Hey RC, did you say versatile? As in a guy who can fill multiple positions? Like a Tim Thomas?

He showed up this postseason I"ll give him that.

But honestly, he was that one 3 in the Lakers series away from being a career choke artist who perpetually underachieved. The guy just isn't someone you want on your team...his defense and attitude is suspect. He found a good fit in Phoenix, but the spurs are not Phoenix.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 04:06 AM
This article didn't have a lot of new information. It basically lists the players that they might go after as the same ones we always discuss here.

However, the Scola part is enlightening. It's interesting that he wants $4M per year and that interest in him around the league has been "lukewarm".

timvp
07-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Scola is worth 2-year, $5M. Make a little money while proving your worth. That's what Manu did. Scola isn't good enough for special treatment.

polandprzem
07-01-2006, 05:21 AM
Scola is worth 4 mil but not in San Antonio. He is not the kind of guy we need immediately. Some team yup. Trade his rights, he is not a defenssive player.

SCdac
07-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Radmanovic would be a nice sign, if versatility is really where the Spurs want to go. We'd have plenty of PF's who can shoot the three (Radmanovic, Bonner, Horry) and stretch the floor... Would rather the Spurs sign Radmanovic over Thomas, if it came down to it, but neither would hurt... I wonder how much our defense would take a dip though.

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 08:10 AM
This article is pure PR.

All the sudden, Nazr is an acceptable option to keep. That is surely not what was being written when the season ended- by the same writer. To say Nazr sometimes tested Pop's patience is a huge understatement. The problem for the Spurs is they traded Rasho and don't seem to have much chance at any of the big men available. So much for the notion of Duncan at center. :lol

The Scola info is also PR- claim his price is too high and that no one else wants him either.

pjjrfan
07-01-2006, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Body]Swapped Nesterovic for Javtokas. Good.

Maybe sign Przbylla. Not a lot of other options for the MLE here that fill a need.

Looks like another year of flawed Nazr Mohammed and Beno Udrih.

A good chance of trading Brent Barry for dreck (JR Smith type).

Very likely our starting lineup does not change from the end of the season, with the bench gaining no game-changing talent and staying as old and ineffectual as it was in the playoffs.

Luis Scola stays in Europe until the end of his contract. This is his fault and the fault of TAU, who obviously does not reward good behavior or good soldiers with helping them attain their dreams.[/QUOTE

I still say that Manu and Tony were less than 100% , I keep watching reg. season games, and last years playoff run and no one can convince me that being healthy Manu and Tony couldn't have gotten to the basket with the same proficiency that Harris, Stack and Howard were doing to our Spurs. If anyone didn't show up it was our big men, since Pop basically chose to take them out of the equation, as it was, I thought with the exception of Nick our perimeter guys did the best they could. And were seconds away from advancing.

pjjrfan
07-01-2006, 09:06 AM
This article is pure PR.

All the sudden, Nazr is an acceptable option to keep. That is surely not what was being written when the season ended- by the same writer. To say Nazr sometimes tested Pop's patience is a huge understatement. The problem for the Spurs is they traded Rasho and don't seem to have much chance at any of the big men available. So much for the notion of Duncan at center. :lol

The Scola info is also PR- claim his price is too high and that no one else wants him either.
I just can't buy that line that Pop is happy to go with Beno as the back-up to Tony. I just can't help getting that picture of the Spurs ship slowly sinking and Pop not even looking down at Beno to try to salvage the season. I don't think Pop is at all happy with Beno. But that could change.

Spurs9
07-01-2006, 09:14 AM
I think Javtokas is going to be awesome.

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 10:36 AM
If you have Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili under contract then you are guaranteed of being a serious contender every season. Why spend more?

ducks
07-01-2006, 10:41 AM
yes because the biggest payrole always wins the title

NOT

look at the yankees and knicks
hell the mavs had a bigger payrole and still did not win it all

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Neither does the lowest.

When you have 5 years or so left in the career of a legend do you go cheap?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Scola is worth 2-year, $5M. Make a little money while proving your worth. That's what Manu did. Scola isn't good enough for special treatment.
Took the words right outta my mouth. Luis Scola should take that kind of offer. He proved himself in the Euroleague, but now he has to prove himself in the NBA. And after you prove yourself in the NBA, THEN we'll talk big money.

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Neither does the lowest.

When you have 5 years or so left in the career of a legend do you go cheap?

Spurs have the 7th highest payroll right now, how much higher do they have to go so that you don't think they're being cheap?

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 11:04 AM
No they don't. Besides that, they just dropped $15 mil off their cap for 2007-09 with the Nesterovic trade. That's on top of what they already removed with the Rose trade.

When will you stop kissing ownership's ass?

ducks
07-01-2006, 11:07 AM
any team would have traded their 12-15 man on the roster if they made the type of money rose and rasho made

the type of money those players have should be given to players that are 1-5 maybe 1-7
not to 12 -15 men on the bench
those type of players get the min and are basically for development of players

was cuban cheap when he did not resign nash sparky?

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 11:13 AM
No they don't. Besides that, they just dropped $15 mil off their cap for 2007-09 with the Nesterovic trade. That's on top of what they already removed with the Rose trade.

When will you stop kissing ownership's ass?

They dumped Malik because he sucks and he was overpaid, the same goes for Rasho. It isn't like the spurs didn't want to spend that money they just didn't want to waste it on shit. Right now the Spurs can only spend the MLE, what can they do so that in your eyes they're not cheap?

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Sure, I'd rather see them spend $7 mil a year on someone else. With Rose and Nesterovic gone they've dropped $38 mil off their cap from 2006-09. Will we see them spend that or just pocket it?

We will see how cheap Cuban is after this summer.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Neither does the lowest.

Marlins.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Any damn word on Viktor Sanikidze?

Maybe the Spurs have been quiet about him because they think they have another diamond in the rough and what to debute him at the Revue? Atleast that's what I hope. lol

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 11:34 AM
If you have Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili under contract then you are guaranteed of being a serious contender every season. Why spend more?
But see- this is where I think the problem now lies with the Spurs. They are going to be content to be a contender- but probably not a champ- figuring these three guys can be surrounded with short- cheap contracts. Maybe it all worked out- get Nazr back for cheap- count on Beno's cheap rookie contract- bring in the couple of Euros next season on their cheap rookie contracts.

The Spurs got spolied because for those years they had Manu and Parker and were paying them peanuts for their value. They had to fork out the money to keep the two of them, so now they are at the top of how much they want to spend with the contracts of the Big Three. If the reports are right, they will use part of the MLE to sign Robertas- which I do not get- he should be had for the LLE. Then with only part of the MLE left, they can sign another short term cheap deal to some guy and say they did not have the option of signing anyone to a long term, bigger deal. Their big summer will consist of dumping the salaries of Rasho and Brent, but not with the goal of spending that money on other players that will help- but with simply lowering their costs. So don't get your hopes up about Wallace or Pryzbilla or even Speedy or Vlade. The excitement of the summer will be two trades that bring in Booner, Williams, and maybe JR Smith.

Solid D
07-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Any damn word on Viktor Sanikidze?

Maybe the Spurs have been quiet about him because they think they have another diamond in the rough and what to debute him at the Revue? Atleast that's what I hope. lol

Johnny Ludden said in his article on 6/28 that Sanikidze would be in Utah for the Summer League with Ian Mahinmi and Sergei Karaulov but that all three would return to Europe for at least one more season.

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 12:05 PM
But see- this is where I think the problem now lies with the Spurs. They are going to be content to be a contender- but probably not a champ- figuring these three guys can be surrounded with short- cheap contracts. Maybe it all worked out- get Nazr back for cheap- count on Beno's cheap rookie contract- bring in the couple of Euros next season on their cheap rookie contracts.

The Spurs got spolied because for those years they had Manu and Parker and were paying them peanuts for their value. They had to fork out the money to keep the two of them, so now they are at the top of how much they want to spend with the contracts of the Big Three. If the reports are right, they will use part of the MLE to sign Robertas- which I do not get- he should be had for the LLE. Then with only part of the MLE left, they can sign another short term cheap deal to some guy and say they did not have the option of signing anyone to a long term, bigger deal. Their big summer will consist of dumping the salaries of Rasho and Brent, but not with the goal of spending that money on other players that will help- but with simply lowering their costs. So don't get your hopes up about Wallace or Pryzbilla or even Speedy or Vlade. The excitement of the summer will be two trades that bring in Booner, Williams, and maybe JR Smith.

:lol Hilarious

T Park
07-01-2006, 04:03 PM
furry spurry hasn't got a clue..

T Park
07-01-2006, 04:04 PM
BTW Furry,

if the guy refuses 1.7 and wants more, wtf, do you say, no thats ok go sign with another team in europe.....

Brutalis
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Scola has a dream in the NBA?

Or a dream to make 4 million?

What a crock. See ya bud.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Scola has a dream in the NBA?

Or a dream to make 4 million?

What a crock. See ya bud.

The 4M includes enough to get himself out of the TAU buyout, so a chunk of that goes to his former employer. Sucky.

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 05:56 PM
I thought he said he'd pay the buyout with his own money.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
That is his own money.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Scola might have to play another year for Tau. He seems to really want to come over though as the most an NBA team can pay of his buyout is 500k and he seems to be willing to pay $3 million of his own money to get out of his contract. He's got to pretty pissed at the Spurs right about now. Oh and who was the guy who comparedhis contract to the first overall pick's contracts? That's stupid those are on a pay scale you know they would 3-4x that much on the open market. Oden would be able to find a team that would pay him $12-13 million next year. Even the deals Wade and James are offered are on a max basis and they would get more too.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 06:36 PM
He's got to pretty pissed at the Spurs right about now.

Why would he be pissed at the Spurs?

The Spurs would have had him here a couple summers ago if he didn't have a buyout.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 06:40 PM
All they can pay by the rules is 500k and he has to pay the rest. He is willing to pay his share but they won't pay that relatively small amount and seem willing to make him play another year overseas if the right deal doesn't come along. He really wants to play in the NBA and they're making him wait.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 06:41 PM
All they can pay by the rules is 500k and he has to pay the rest. He is willing to pay his share but they won't pay that relatively small amount and seem willing to make him play another year overseas if the right deal doesn't come along. He really wants to play in the NBA and they're making him wait.

Well you realize he still wants the Spurs to pay him $4M a year for him to "pay his share". He's not worth $4M a year.

picnroll
07-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Scola's only got his agnet that signed the contract with Tau to blame. And himself for listening to that agent.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Has Scola ever been in San Antonio? It seems all the other Spurs' foreign talent have been through here at one point, but I've never heard of him coming to Texas even once.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Well you realize he still wants the Spurs to pay him $4M a year for him to "pay his share". He's not worth $4M a year.

C'mon they paid Oberto $2.5 million a year-he wasn't first team all Euroleague. Scola has to be thinking he's worth at least 1 million or so more.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 06:51 PM
True, Quad. The Spurs set a high bar by giving Oberto much more than he was worth.

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 07:08 PM
And why Robertas won't be content with the LLE either.

phxspurfan
07-01-2006, 07:11 PM
who is robertas??

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Robertas Javtokas. Where you been??

T Park
07-01-2006, 07:29 PM
And why Robertas won't be content with the LLE either

Link?

ducks
07-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Has Scola ever been in San Antonio? It seems all the other Spurs' foreign talent have been through here at one point, but I've never heard of him coming to Texas even once.

there was a rumor he might be in sa draft night but he came on his own who knows if he even talked to the spurs

it is in the interview with the scola thread

phxspurfan
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
It will also be an intriguing summer for center Brendan Haywood , whose relationship with coach Eddie Jordan disintegrated last season. Haywood averaged 7.3 points and 5.9 rebounds in 23.8 minutes and was replaced in the starting lineup twice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/30/AR2006063001399.html

how bout him? trade Nazi?

furry_spurry
07-01-2006, 07:48 PM
Link?
All the reports have been that his deal will have a third year option, so it can't be the LLE.

ducks
07-01-2006, 07:52 PM
if it is 3 it can not be the lle
nothing is signed
2 would be great because spurs still would have grandfathered in hsi birdrights and can sign him to any amount....