PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs looking for a big man

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Spurs looking for a big man

Web Posted: 07/01/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070106.1C.BKNspurs.chart.12d961ad.html

Rasho Nesterovic is gone. Nazr Mohammed could be on his way out. Staff Writer Johnny Ludden takes a look at who could be the Spurs' man in the middle next season. Here's a look at five of the top free-agent centers, including Mohammed.

BEN WALLACE

Size: 6-foot-9, 240 pounds

2005-06 stats: 7.3 points, 11.3 rebounds, 2.21 blocks per game with Detroit

Strengths: Four-time Defensive Player of the Year, including the past two seasons; one of the league's strongest players

Weaknesses: Turns 32 in September; limited offensively; his free-throw shooting makes Tim Duncan look like Steve Kerr at the line.

Outlook: Likely will command at least a four-year contract in the range of $55 million. Spurs don't have those resources and Detroit has no incentive to cooperate on a sign-and-trade with them. Expected to re-sign with the Pistons or leave for Chicago.

JOEL PRZYBILLA

Size: 7-foot-1, 255 pounds

2005-06 stats: 6.1 points, 7.0 rebounds, 2.32 blocks per game with Portland

Strengths: One of the league's top shot-blockers; fairly mobile; at 26, probably hasn't tapped potential.

Weaknesses: Played in only 56 games last season because of injuries; hasn't developed a strong overall offensive game.

Outlook: Lives near Chicago, so Bulls would be an attractive option. Spurs could be in the mix if Chicago lands Wallace, but can't match the money Bulls have to offer. Wasn't happy with Portland teammates' effort last season, but should be more open to returning after Blazers' draft-night moves.

NAZR MOHAMMED

Size: 6-foot-10, 250 pounds

2005-06 stats: 6.2 points, 5.2 rebounds. .61 blocks per game with Spurs

Strengths: Ranked fourth in the league in offensive rebounds per 48 minutes; capable of big games, like career-high 30 points he scored against Phoenix; improved free-throw shooting to career-best 78.5 percent.

Weaknesses: Poor hands make him turnover-prone; struggles at times with defensive rotations.

Outlook: Bulls will take a long look at the Chicago native. Turned down extension offer from Spurs prior to last season, but open to returning. Spurs open to keeping him, but probably won't offer a starting salary much higher than $5 million.

JACKIE BUTLER

Size: 6-foot-10, 260 pounds

2005-06 stats: 5.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and .56 blocks with New York

Strengths: Larry Brown often played him over Eddy Curry and Jerome James; good size; at 21, still has plenty of time to develop.

Weaknesses: Considered more of a project than an immediate contributor; foul- and turnover-prone.

Outlook: Restricted free agent, so Knicks can match offer. Spurs director of pro player personnel Dell Demps helped discover Butler for New York. Still, hard to imagine him starting for a championship-caliber team.

LORENZEN WRIGHT

Size: 6-foot-11, 240 pounds

2005-06 stats: 5.8 points, 5.1 rebounds, .59 blocks with Memphis

Strengths: Decent rebounder; capable scorer.

Weaknesses: Lost starting job in Memphis toward end of season; not very athletic; at 30, his best days are behind him.

Outlook: Made $7.7 million last season, but probably will have to settle for less than half that. Not much of a fit for Spurs.

Others: Michael Olowokandi; Kelvin Cato; Francisco Elson (restricted); DJ Mbenga (restricted). Spurs also could move Tim Duncan to center and try to sign a versatile forward like Vladimir Radmanovic, Jared Jeffries (restricted) or Tim Thomas.

Sense
07-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Ben! Ben ! Ben ! Ben!

timvp
07-01-2006, 03:43 AM
No Reggie Evans listed?

WTF?

The Spurs do know they might want to grab a rebound next year, don't they?

:pctoss

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 03:43 AM
No Reggie Evans listed?

WTF?

The Spurs do know they might want to grab a rebound next year, don't they?

:pctoss

Here's a look at five of the top free-agent centers, including Mohammed.

timvp
07-01-2006, 03:47 AM
It goes on to list some power forwards.

There shouldn't any list that has names like Bulter, Radmanovic and Wright without even mentioning Evans.

Kori Ellis
07-01-2006, 03:49 AM
It goes on to list some power forwards.

There shouldn't any list that has names like Bulter, Radmanovic and Wright without even mentioning Evans.

Maybe they already know he wants to go to the Knicks.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Mbenga's available? Hmm

timvp
07-01-2006, 03:50 AM
Maybe they already know he wants to go to the Knicks.

Looks like the Mavs are going to go after Evans hard.

Spurs might get outrebounded by 10 rebounds per game next year. :lol

Bring on pansy ass Radmanovic :elephant

MI21
07-01-2006, 04:50 AM
The prospect of no rebounding is a scary one. Spurs need to address it.

Hopefully FastAndFuriousSpurs can address it by contacting his good friend Charles Oakley.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Looks like the Mavs are going to go after Evans hard.

Spurs might get outrebounded by 10 rebounds per game next year. :lol

Bring on pansy ass Radmanovic :elephant

You seriously overrate Evans he can't score, is too short, and has bad hands. Also in the article when they listed Butler they should have mentioned the fact that he makes Oliver Miller look like a fitness fanatic.

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 10:37 AM
You don't need stars now you need role players who can do one or two things well.

BgT
07-01-2006, 10:39 AM
The prospect of no rebounding is a scary one. Spurs need to address it.

Hopefully FastAndFuriousSpurs can address it by contacting his good friend Charles Oakley.
Pop says that small ball is the way. Let's all trust Pop, it worked great for us in against Mavs. :rolleyes

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Reggie Evans is a foul factory. He invents new ways to foul people. (The crotch grab was a sadly overlooked attempt.)

weidaandduncan
07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Pryz pryz pryz pryz!

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2006, 01:28 PM
sigh
spurs are fucked

Tek_XX
07-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Doesn't matter, we're not gonna play this guy when we meet Dallas anyway.

maddnezz
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Pryz pryz pryz pryz!
say it again my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On my nba 2k6 i released rasho created bonner and signed pryz man my o went down but my d went up real nice!
:fro

ChumpDumper
07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
I guess all trades have to pass video game muster these days as well as getting armchair GM approval.

T Park
07-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Duh Chump, should know that by now...

coachmac87
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
ok lets be real...if the spurs sign anyone they better be on the court when they face the mavericks in the playoffs next season...be a waist of money...i mean if nazr didnt play last year what makes pop think he will play this year...spurs need a versitale big..not sure if there is one in the market they could afford

spurster
07-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Sounds like CIA Pop to me. Spurs need someone so they match up better to the Suns and Mavs. Getting another center they won't let on the court during the playoffs doesn't like a winning plan to me.

David Stern
07-01-2006, 04:40 PM
It wont matter who the Spurs land because I wont let them win the title. I want Shaq and Miami to do it again.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2006, 04:45 PM
is pryzbilla really THAT good of a shotblocker? Or did he get alot of those blocks in garbage time.. what kinda minutes did he get? I really don't know much about him but when I hear a big man being mentioned out of nowhere, i dont really consider him all that decent.

judaspriestess
07-01-2006, 05:29 PM
It wont matter who the Spurs land because I wont let them win the title. I want Shaq and Miami to do it again.

well based on the massive ratings jump :rolleyes that ABC expected but did not get, I'm sure ABC will want that too.. :spin

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 05:31 PM
CBF- Przybilla's shot blocking numbers are stellar, if that means anything.

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Our best options:

BEN WALLACE - unlikely

JOEL PRZYBILLA - still avialable

NAZR MOHAMMED - hopefully not

LORENZEN WRIGHT - hopefully not

Vladimir Radmanovic - Signing with Lakers

Jared Jeffries - our best option left?

Tim Thomas. - Signing with Clippers

maddnezz
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
I guess all trades have to pass video game muster these days as well as getting armchair GM approval.
Funny, but cheap good shit CD!!! :lol

maddnezz
07-01-2006, 10:32 PM
7'1" sure helps a lot. And we NEED the help on boards and blocks. Dude has a hard on for dunking too!

Buddy Holly
07-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Peja to NO, PJ Brown to Indy, JR Smith and Jeff Foster to SA.

Then we use our MLE to sign Speedy and someone else.

furry_spurry
07-02-2006, 01:24 AM
Peja to NO, PJ Brown to Indy, JR Smith and Jeff Foster to SA.

Then we use our MLE to sign Speedy and someone else.
Too late. Peja isn't getting involved in a S&T.

Mijo
07-02-2006, 03:21 AM
Why concern ourselved with guarding Dirk? Who's available that can do a better job than Bowen?

T Park
07-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Jeffries, evans would do a good job....

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 04:07 AM
For people who have seen him play more than me...

Does he have a spine at all? Would he commit some hard fouls?

MI21
07-02-2006, 05:34 AM
For people who have seen him play more than me...

Does he have a spine at all? Would he commit some hard fouls?

Are you talking about Pryzbilla?

If so, thats about all he does do, is foul.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Are you talking about Pryzbilla?

If so, thats about all he does do, is foul.

Rasho fouls, or Charles Oakley fouls.

MI21
07-02-2006, 06:02 AM
Definitly better than Rasho, not quite Oakman though.

Pretty physical type of player actually.

SenorSpur
07-02-2006, 10:24 AM
7'1" sure helps a lot. And we NEED the help on boards and blocks. Dude has a hard on for dunking too!

So true. Dallas punked us on the glass during the WCSF. Adding an above average rebounder and shot blocker, who is a presence around the rim is a good step.

SOLD!

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:08 AM
So true. Dallas punked us on the glass during the WCSF. Adding an above average rebounder and shot blocker, who is a presence around the rim is a good step.

SOLD!

That wasn't the issue at all. The issue was having a big who could step out and guard a 3.

Obstructed_View
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
That wasn't the issue at all. The issue was having a big who could step out and guard a 3.
The Spurs didn't have anyone who could step out and guard a 3. Since the Mavericks didn't beat the Spurs with jump shots anyway, having someone to actually defend the rim would have been/would be nice.

clubalien
07-02-2006, 03:38 PM
am i the only one that thought oberto could guard dirk?

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 03:39 PM
am i the only one that thought oberto could guard dirk?

Yes.

texbound
07-02-2006, 09:54 PM
So, Ludden is reporting that the spurs are going after a big man. Shouldn't Spurs fans automatically translate into the Spurs are going after something different (ie, a PG or SF)? After all these years (in the Pop and RC era) we should realize that the Spurs are masters at misdirection. Show everyone the top hat in your right hand, while you pull the rabbit out of your pocket with your left. Ok, sometimes they pull a SOFT rabbit (Rasho), but usually they pull something out no one expected. Let's face it, we have no idea what scheme RC and Pop have cooked up, but it usually doesn't match what is reported on July 1st.