PDA

View Full Version : Swift disappointed to be back in Memphis.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Swift reportedly not so thrilled
David J. Phillip/Associated Press

As a Houston Rocket in 2005-06, Stromile Swift had his worst NBA season since his rookie campaign, averaging 8.9 points and 4.4 rebounds. Now he's been traded back to the Grizzlies, where he was a fan favorite for his spectacular dunks.Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print
By Ronald Tillery
Contact
July 1, 2006
News that he'd been traded back to the Grizzlies where his career began, never skyrocketed and ended on a sour note hit Stromile Swift hard.
Swift still is trying to comprehend the move and lift his spirits, according to people close to the power forward/center.

Advertisement
In fact, Swift immediately became speechless upon learning of the draft-day deal that sent him and the rights to Rudy Gay (the eighth overall pick) from Houston to Memphis for Shane Battier.
It's not the city. It's the situation that apparently concerns Swift.

Teams are prohibited from discussing the trade before July 12 when it becomes official. The Grizzlies, though, are ready to welcome back Swift because of his athleticism and shot-blocking ability.

He also comes at a reasonable price -- a contract that pays $5.4 million for the 2006-07 season. Swift left Memphis last summer after five seasons partly because he sought a six-year contract averaging $10 million per season. The Griz had offered an incentive-laden deal worth $48 million before Swift entered his final season in Memphis.

Attempts to reach Swift were unsuccessful.

His agent, Andy Miller, said it was too soon to predict how Swift will react.

"It's a little shocking for him clearly," Miller said. "It's a business. We'll deal with it, and hopefully make this work."

Swift still owns a home in Memphis. Former teammate Lorenzen Wright and his family are renting the property.

By the time of his departure, Swift perceived that the organization had given up on his talent. Swift dealt with fluctuating playing time, an ankle injury and the team's mandate to be fiscally responsible as his Memphis days concluded.

"I didn't have conversations with them but there wasn't much to discuss," Miller said of the summer Swift departed. "I do believe Memphis was done with him at that point."

In his brief stint with the Rockets, Swift completed his worst season since his rookie campaign of 2000. He averaged 8.9 points and 4.4 rebounds after quickly falling out of favor with Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy.

His best seasons have come in Memphis where Swift averaged 10 points and five rebounds off the bench over five years. Swift's best season was 2001-02 when he averaged 12 points and six rebounds.

Still, Swift has yet to return calls to the Grizzlies.

Battier, meanwhile, already has engaged Houston.

The former face of the Grizzlies responded to criticism of his acquisition in the Houston Chronicle.

"It's completely understandable for fans," Battier said. "The nice, shiny-red fire engine looks better than the old, shabby teddy bear that's been around the block a few times. But I'm going to do everything I can to earn the city of Houston's respect, to earn Rockets fans' respect. It's going to end up a pretty good deal."

The question now is will Swift ever be convinced?

-- Ronald Tillery: 529-2353

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_4815916,00.html

exstatic
07-01-2006, 09:51 AM
The Grizzlies, though, are ready to welcome back Swift because of his athleticism and shot-blocking ability.
The Grizz are ready to welcome back his ending contract. He'll get no more FA love from them next summer than he did last time around.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 09:58 AM
I'll tell who should really be disappointed is Houston when they found out he couldn't even beat out Juwan Howard for the starting PF spot.

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Battier, meanwhile, already has engaged Houston.

The former face of the Grizzlies responded to criticism of his acquisition in the Houston Chronicle.

"It's completely understandable for fans," Battier said. "The nice, shiny-red fire engine looks better than the old, shabby teddy bear that's been around the block a few times. But I'm going to do everything I can to earn the city of Houston's respect, to earn Rockets fans' respect. It's going to end up a pretty good deal."

Battier is good with a quote. He's the same guy who had a goal, in his senior year in college, to never use a cliche in an interview. It wouldn't surprise me if he achieved that goal.

Slinkyman
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
The Grizz are ready to welcome back his ending contract. He'll get no more FA love from them next summer than he did last time around.

Swift has 3 more years left on his current deal.

kris
07-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Swift has 3 more years left on his current deal.

Owned.

exstatic
07-01-2006, 11:07 AM
He also comes at a reasonable price -- a contract that pays $5.4 million for the 2006-07 season.

You are correct, slinkyman. The above led me to believe he was an ending contract, but I checked Patricia's site and he runs thru '10.

Stromile shouldn't be too pissed. He wanted 6/60M to stay in Memphis, he got that from Houston, and now he's back in Memphis.

exstatic
07-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Owned.
Mistaken. Corrected.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 12:11 PM
You are correct, slinkyman. The above led me to believe he was an ending contract, but I checked Patricia's site and he runs thru '10.

Stromile shouldn't be too pissed. He wanted 6/60M to stay in Memphis, he got that from Houston, and now he's back in Memphis.

He didnt get 6/60 he got 5/30, nowhere near $10 million a year. Also I assume he wanted to get more playing time, he's not going to start in Memphis.

NBA Junkie
07-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded later in the summer for a SF or a C. I know that Darius Miles and Zach Randolph are being dangled by the Blazers. That could be a possibility since the Grizzlies are reportedly interested in Miles.

If he stays, he'll be at the 5 since Gasol get's the majority of the minutes at PF. I think Tsakalidis will still be around, but Lorenzen Wright likely will not be.

ShoogarBear
07-01-2006, 02:51 PM
The first thought I had when I heard about the trade is "I wonder what Swift thinks about going back to Memphis."

The second though I had was "Battier is a perfect JVG player."

T Park
07-01-2006, 03:53 PM
That trade prob negates the horrible trade for Barkley in Rockets history now.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Would anybody want him on the Spurs via trade? I wouldn't but I am just wondering.

Trainwreck2100
07-01-2006, 07:59 PM
I don't know why he's dissapointed, that's what he gets for playing like shit.

cecil collins
07-01-2006, 08:09 PM
That trade prob negates the horrible trade for Barkley in Rockets history now.
Fuck that, I'd rather have Swift and Gay, then Battier. He probably will be better for the Rockets, as they have Yao and TMac, and could use a role player at the 3, but I think Gay is gonna be pretty good, and Stro could be solid in the right situation.