PDA

View Full Version : Jack Kelly: The Al Gore Lies On Global Warming

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
If Global Warming is indeed the by-product of human-induced greenhouse gasses that if ignored would result in catastrophic global events then obviously we should take the necessary actions to remedy the problem. The question is whether the problem truly exists.

Jack Kelly exposes Al Gore in an editoral column taken from the Toledo Blade.

‘The sky is warming!’

THEIR efforts to politicize science are at once the most amusing and most alarming trait of liberals.

On June 6, the National Academy of Sciences issued a report on climate change. It “represented a unanimous decision that global warming is real, is getting worse, and is due to man,” said CNN reporter Michelle Mitchell. “There is no wiggle room.”

Richard Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT and one of the 11 scientists who prepared the report, said this wasn’t true:

“We are quite confident (1) that global mean temperature is about 0.5 degrees Celsius higher than it was a century ago; (2) that atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide have risen over the past two centuries, and (3) that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas whose increase is likely to warm the earth.

“But — and I cannot stress this enough — we are not in a position to attribute past climate change to carbon dioxide or to forecast what the climate will be in the future,” he wrote in a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Monday.

“The nation’s top climate scientists are giving An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore’s documentary on global warming, five stars for accuracy,” said the Associated Press June 27.

That story was so inaccurate the majority on the Senate Environment and Public Works committee issued a statement rebutting it. A brief Google search would have shown the AP reporter, Seth Borenstein, that many leading environmental scientists think Mr. Gore’s claims are preposterous.

“A general characteristic of Mr. Gore’s approach is to assiduously ignore the fact that the earth and its climate are dynamic,” wrote Dr. Lindzen, considered by many to be America’s leading climatologist. “To treat all change as something to fear is bad enough; to do so in order to exploit that fear is much worse.”

Prof. Paul Reiter of the Institut Pasteur in Paris described the movie as “pure, mind-bending propaganda.”

“Gore’s circumstantial arguments are so weak they are pathetic,” said Bob Carter of James Cook University in Australia.

Mr. Gore blames the recent increase in hurricanes on global warming. But Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, says that warming has nothing to do with it. Tad Murty of the University of Ottawa noted that in the other six ocean basins worldwide, hurricane activity is flat or declining. Dr. Murty said also that hurricane activity in the U.S. southeast was greater in the first half of the 20th century than it is now.

The ice caps in Greenland and Antarctica are growing, not melting as Mr. Gore claims, say Dr. Carter and M.R. Morgan of the University of Exeter in Britain. (Mr. Gore mentions melting on the coasts, but ignores the much larger buildup of ice in the interior.)

The Canadian Arctic was warmer in the 1930s than it is today, said Roy Spencer of the University of Alabama at Huntsville. The polar bear population is stable or growing, not declining as Mr. Gore claims, said Mitchell Taylor of Canada’s Department of the Environment.

The ice cap on Mt. Kilimanjaro in Africa is melting not because of global warming, as Mr. Gore claims, but because of a decline in the moisture in the atmosphere there, said the Royal Meteorological Society in a 2004 article.

“None of the 30 so-called new diseases Gore references are attributable to global warming, none,” said Dr. Reiter.

Sea levels aren’t rising, as Mr. Gore claims, say Chris de Freitas of the University of Auckland in New Zealand, and Nils-Axel Morner of Stockholm University in Sweden.

Mr. Gore claims the planet is warmer now than it has been for 2,000 years. The National Academy of Scientists doesn’t agree.

The NAS did say it is warmer now than it’s been in 400 years, but that’s like saying it’s warmer in June than it was in February.

It was cooler 400 years ago because that was during the Little Ice Age. The Little Ice Age didn’t end until around 1850, so it should be small wonder it’s warmer now than it was then.

The Little Ice Age was preceded by the Medieval Warm Period (roughly 900 A.D. — 1400 A.D.), when temperatures in Europe and North America were higher than they are today.

Things were more pleasant for people during the Medieval Warm Period than they are today. Greenland was actually green. Viking colonists grew crops and grazed livestock there.

A return to the climate of the Medieval Warm Period would do us more good than harm, so one wonders why Al Gore is running around like Chicken Little, screaming: “The sky is warming. The sky is warming. Give me all your money!”

Maybe the last sentence is a clue to the point of the exercise.

Jack Kelly is a member of The Blade’s national bureau.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060701/COLUMNIST14/60701017

xrayzebra
07-01-2006, 02:19 PM
mr. kelly is wrong

Spoken like a true follower of the regressive Dimm-o-crap you are. And
worshiper of Al the Gore.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 02:25 PM
mr. kelly is wrong
Actually elpimpo he's not as Mr. Kelly is merely citing arguements from the scientific community.

clambake
07-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Everyone knows the smartest people in the world write for the Toledo Blade.

I think the smartest people in the world are the ones that can stumble over an article from the Toledo Blade.

SA210
07-01-2006, 04:10 PM
:lol

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Everyone knows the smartest people in the world write for the Toledo Blade.

I think the smartest people in the world are the ones that can stumble over an article from the Toledo Blade.
:blah Typical goofball off topic post by you clams attacking the messenger that you know nothing about because you have nothing to offer in the way of substance regarding those cited as contributors to the message.

For what it's worth Kelly also writes for the Pittsburg Post-Gazette (ever hear of Pittsburg?)
And no stumbling for articles here, I live in a suburb of Toledo and the paper's delivered to my house each morning.

clambake
07-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Yup, you got me! No such thing as global warning, certainly not by humans, right Jam?

Toledo and Pittsburg would never harbour a red opinion.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 04:26 PM
:lol
Pantomime, how nice SA.
That's a sure-fire way of avoiding having your posts systematically dismantled (although normally you don't even offer enough to warrant dismantling). Good move.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Yup, you got me! No such thing as global warning, certainly not by humans, right Jam?

Toledo and Pittsburg would never harbour a red opinion.

Again, not surprisingly, you offer nothing to refute the article and I wasn't aware that the article mentioned where the scientists were from.

Fact is Gore is a politician (blue opinion to use your lingo) and the scientists are...well, scientists.

2centsworth
07-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Good Article joch. I still haven't made up my mind because I haven't researched the facts. But doesn't surprise me Al Gore's movie is propaganda.

Burly_Man
07-01-2006, 05:05 PM
The scientists mentioned in the article are well know skeptics of global warming, a small but vocal group. Of course the writer would not cite anything from established scientists who accept that global warming is occuring and that human activity plays a key role in it's development. That would go against his opinion on the matter.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 05:34 PM
The scientists mentioned in the article are well know skeptics of global warming, a small but vocal group. Of course the writer would not cite anything from established scientists who accept that global warming is occuring and that human activity plays a key role in it's development. That would go against his opinion on the matter.
What do you know about Jack Kelly that would cause you to isinuate that he's biased in his article? And "small group" means that their observations and arguements don't pass muster?

And of course you have proof that only a "small" group of scientists believe this and that they themselves are not "established scientists".

Those you disagree with are "skeptical scientists" and those you agree with are "established scientists". I see...

They did produce actual arguements against global warming, feel free to actually attack them...anyone. sheesh!

Burly_Man
07-01-2006, 05:58 PM
What do you know about Jack Kelly that would cause you to isinuate that he's biased in his article? And "small group" means that their observations and arguements don't pass muster?

And of course you have proof that only a "small" group of scientists believe this and that they themselves are not "established scientists".

Those you disagree with are "skeptical scientists" and those you agree with are "established scientists". I see...

I am not saying he is biased, just that it is an Op-Ed piece. Why should Jack Kelly tell both sides of the story?

As for the skeptics, fair enough, there are always skeptics. Let's look at a few of the scientists mentioned in Mr Kelly's piece.

Richard Lindzen - One of his speeches, 'Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus,' (1995) was underwritten by OPEC.

Bob Carter - He's a contributing writer to Tech Central Station (TCS), ExxonMobil gave TCS nearly $100,000.00 in 2003 for "Climate Change Support."

Roy Spencer - Another contributor to TCS.

For scientists who support human activity caused global warming, try the US Government:

US EPA (http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/newsandeventsScienceandPolicyNews.html)

NCAR (http://www.ucar.edu/research/climate/)

From the National Center for Atmospheric Research (an organization spnsored by the National Science Foundation, NOAA, NASA, DOD, DOE, FAA, EPA)

Why should Earth be warming? The amount of energy emitted by the Sun has risen a fraction of a percent since 1900. However, climate simulations at NCAR have shown that solar changes explain less than a third of the warm-up during the last century. The most likely explanation for a warming Earth is the greenhouse gases emitted when fossil fuels are burned in homes, gas and coal-fired power plants, vehicles, and factories.

Sec24Row7
07-01-2006, 06:54 PM
nbadan with wikepedia hockeypuck model in 3... 2... 1...

clambake
07-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Jaam, this is goofball. Please let me hear you complain about the media while you simultainiously paste some red state blabbering article that declares our administration God's gift to america.

When you can do those 2 things at exactly the same moment, I'll give you props.

Until then, everyone should back off leaning articles "hooray for our side" bullshit.

We don't need an article to know this white house is full of shit.

SA210
07-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Pantomime, how nice SA.
That's a sure-fire way of avoiding having your posts systematically dismantled (although normally you don't even offer enough to warrant dismantling). Good move.
Oh, What was that, Mr. "Christian" sir?
Mr. Supporter of Lies, War, and Killing of innocent civilians and US troops to further you're political agenda?

You dismantled yourself. :lol

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=Burly_Man]I am not saying he is biased, just that it is an Op-Ed piece. Why should Jack Kelly tell both sides of the story?

As for the skeptics, fair enough, there are always skeptics. Let's look at a few of the scientists mentioned in Mr Kelly's piece.

Richard Lindzen - One of his speeches, 'Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus,' (1995) was underwritten by OPEC.
Richard Lindzen, as noted in the artilce, is considered by many to be America’s leading climatologist. Should we prefer that they underwrite someone who is not considered a leading climatologist? Should we conclude that since "one" of Lindzen's speeches was underwritten by OPEC that America's leading climatologist is to be viewed skeptically? If so, why?

Bob Carter - He's a contributing writer to Tech Central Station (TCS), ExxonMobil gave TCS nearly $100,000.00 in 2003 for "Climate Change Support."
Roy Spencer - Another contributor to TCS.
Is this supposed to pass as proof that their opinions are without merit? Most would prefer arguements refuting the substance of what they said as opposed to insinuating that they may be without merit because of the contributions. That's avoiding the real issue by attempting to cast doubts on their character instead of presenting meaningful arguements. And btw, M.R. Morgan of the University of Exeter in Britain was in agreement with Mr. Carter in stating that "the ice caps in Greenland and Antarctica are growing, not melting". Nothing negative on Morgan?

And no "dirt" on Prof. Paul Reiter of the Institute Pasteur in Paris who described the movie as “pure, mind-bending propaganda.” and flat out stated that “None of the 30 so-called new diseases Gore references are attributable to global warming, none,”?

How about Chris de Freitas of the University of Auckland in New Zealand, and Nils-Axel Morner of Stockholm University in Sweden who refuted Gore's contention that sea levels are rising? What's their agenda?

I won't list all of those mentioned in the article that you didn't provide and "finds" on but their were more.

Burly Man, I'm open to proof one way or the other on the subject of Global Warming but you really didn't provide me with information that would cast anything approaching doubt on Mr. Kelly's article.

jochhejaam
07-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh, What was that, Mr. "Christian" sir?
Mr. Supporter of Lies, War, and Killing of innocent civilians and US troops to further you're political agenda?

You dismantled yourself. :lol
Lightweightfluffpostbye.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2006, 11:54 PM
jochjchdhdchchhehehchchchchehdhajajajajajajaam

Burly_Man
07-02-2006, 01:37 AM
[QUOTE]
Richard Lindzen, as noted in the artilce, is considered by many to be America’s leading climatologist. Should we prefer that they underwrite someone who is not considered a leading climatologist? Should we conclude that since "one" of Lindzen's speeches was underwritten by OPEC that America's leading climatologist is to be viewed skeptically? If so, why?

Is this supposed to pass as proof that their opinions are without merit? Most would prefer arguements refuting the substance of what they said as opposed to insinuating that they may be without merit because of the contributions. That's avoiding the real issue by attempting to cast doubts on their character instead of presenting meaningful arguements. And btw, M.R. Morgan of the University of Exeter in Britain was in agreement with Mr. Carter in stating that "the ice caps in Greenland and Antarctica are growing, not melting". Nothing negative on Morgan?

And no "dirt" on Prof. Paul Reiter of the Institute Pasteur in Paris who described the movie as “pure, mind-bending propaganda.” and flat out stated that “None of the 30 so-called new diseases Gore references are attributable to global warming, none,”?

How about Chris de Freitas of the University of Auckland in New Zealand, and Nils-Axel Morner of Stockholm University in Sweden who refuted Gore's contention that sea levels are rising? What's their agenda?

I won't list all of those mentioned in the article that you didn't provide and "finds" on but their were more.

Burly Man, I'm open to proof one way or the other on the subject of Global Warming but you really didn't provide me with information that would cast anything approaching doubt on Mr. Kelly's article.

It's good you did your homework. Did you read the articles from the EPA and NCAR? That's a good starting point.

Winnipeg_Spur
07-02-2006, 01:59 AM
The "debate" on global warming seems pretty stupid. It's all quotes from random scientists and graphs posted on message boards...

The main things that should be under consideration are peer-reviewed articles posted in major scientific journals, NOT unsubstantiated quotes from scientists x, y and z (who all seem to be employed in some capacity by one side or the other).

sabar
07-02-2006, 03:12 AM
The "debate" on global warming seems pretty stupid. It's all quotes from random scientists and graphs posted on message boards...

The main things that should be under consideration are peer-reviewed articles posted in major scientific journals, NOT unsubstantiated quotes from scientists x, y and z (who all seem to be employed in some capacity by one side or the other).

Yep. And look at the bright side, if global warming is indeed real, we will all be dead and buried by the time it becomes a serious problem.

mike detroit
07-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Spoken like a true follower of the regressive Dimm-o-crap you are. And
worshiper of Al the Gore.

just curious, does that phrase make you feel clever or something?

xrayzebra
07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Al Gore is not a liar. He is too stupid to be one. He more than likely believes all
the crap he puts out as fact. Just like his dumb statements in the past. You know
like the inter-net. He rants, he doesn't speak. It is a trait of their party. Look at
Howard Dean. Now wouldn't you just love to have him as your Doctor......OMG.

George Gervin's Afro
07-02-2006, 11:49 AM
you mean they interviewed skeptics to refute the science..sort of like using hush limpballs to give an objective opinion on democrats

George Gervin's Afro
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Al Gore is not a liar. He is too stupid to be one. He more than likely believes all
the crap he puts out as fact. Just like his dumb statements in the past. You know
like the inter-net. He rants, he doesn't speak. It is a trait of their party. Look at
Howard Dean. Now wouldn't you just love to have him as your Doctor......OMG.

sort of like people in talk radio.. they are not liars they are to stupid to be .. :lol we can come together and agree on one thing after all..

jochhejaam
07-02-2006, 05:27 PM
you mean they interviewed skeptics to refute the science..sort of like using hush limpballs to give an objective opinion on democrats
Where in this thread did it say skeptics were interviewed to refute science?

If this mess of a post was all you were able to come up with after reading this thread then your observations are just as skewed as Gore's and your comprehension skills are in dire need of a makeover.

Das Texan
07-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Yep. And look at the bright side, if global warming is indeed real, we will all be dead and buried by the time it becomes a serious problem.

great fucking mindset.

jochhejaam
07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Good Article joch. I still haven't made up my mind because I haven't researched the facts. But doesn't surprise me Al Gore's movie is propaganda.
I haven't come to any hard conclusion either but it only serves to weaken the arguement for Global Warming when a politician does a documentary on the subject and his material is exposed as a pack of lies by the experts in the field.

Das Texan
07-02-2006, 06:13 PM
I haven't come to any hard conclusion either but it only serves to weaken the arguement for Global Warming when a politician does a documentary on the subject and his material is exposed as a pack of lies by the experts in the field.

there are just as many experts that would be backing up gore, maybe even more on his side if you were to do a poll of scientists in the field.

jochhejaam
07-02-2006, 06:39 PM
there are just as many experts that would be backing up gore, maybe even more on his side if you were to do a poll of scientists in the field.
Agreed and that certainly adds to the confusion.

xrayzebra
07-02-2006, 06:45 PM
just curious, does that phrase make you feel clever or something?

Absolutely, especially when it agitates you. Happy now?

xrayzebra
07-02-2006, 06:49 PM

Well, at least Rush has about 20 million listeners. But you and I, all we
got is each other. And he flys in a private jet to play golf. All I got is
a Mazda pickup and toll roads in the future. All for the life of the average
joe. :lol

clambake
07-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Experts in the field. What a joke. Bush has had experts in the field. Remember your "experts"?

Is there not one entree you won't order off the repug menu? Do you just eat whatever they shove in your face? Couldn't you at least place a side order of dignity?

jochhejaam
07-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Here's a good article IMO from Dr. Richard Lindzen

So what is the truth about global warming? Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, a professor of meteorology at MIT, had much to say about this in his June 11, 2001 article in OpinionJournal.com (titled: "The Press Gets it Wrong: Our Report does not Support the Kyoto Treaty"). Dr. Lindzen served on the National Academy of Sciences panel on climate change and co-authored its report. Here are important excerpts from his article:

Our primary conclusion was that despite some knowledge and agreement, the science is by no means settled. We are quite confident (1) that global mean temperature is about 0.5 degrees Celsius higher than a century ago; (2) that atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide have risen over the past two centuries; and (3) that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas whose increase is likely to warm the earth (one of many, most important being water vapor and clouds).

But – and I cannot stress this enough – we are not in a position to confidently attribute past climate change to carbon dioxide or to forecast what the climate will be in the future. That is to say, contrary to media impressions, agreement with the three basic statements tells us nothing relevant to policy discussions.

One reason for this uncertainty is that, as the report states, the climate is always changing; change is the norm. Two centuries ago, much of the Northern Hemisphere was emerging from a little ice age. A millennium ago, during the Middle Ages, the same region was in a warm period. Thirty years ago, we were concerned about global cooling.

Before closing, I would like to clear up an issue that may be confusing. How can communism and National Socialism (i.e. Nazism) be compatible? Indeed, Colonel Qadhafi melded together Marxist Communism and National Socialism in The Green Book. However, let’s go to a much better book, The Black Book of Communism, for an answer:

By means of propaganda, the Communists succeeded in making people believe that their conduct had universal implications, relevant to humanity as a whole. Critics have often tried to make a distinction between Nazism and Communism by arguing that the Nazi project had a particular aim, which was nationalist and racist in the extreme, whereas Lenin’s project was universal. This is entirely wrong. In both theory and practice, Lenin and his successors excluded from humanity all capitalists, the bourgeoisie, counterrevolutionaries, and others, turning them into absolute enemies in their sociological and political discourse.

Just as Lenin and his successors excluded capitalists and others from humanity, Hitler and his henchmen excluded Jews, the infirmed, and others from humanity as well. Tens of millions of people were murdered at the hands of these totalitarian regimes. As written in The Green Book, Qadhafi clearly is attempting to exclude capitalists from humanity. Now do you see the connection?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, environmentalists want people (especially those living in capitalist countries) to believe their conduct is causing global warming and, thus, destroying our planet. Therefore, environmentalism has capitalism in its crosshairs. It is those of us who benefit from the fruits of Western Civilization that are being turned into enemies in the daily sociological and political discourse of environmentalists. Americans, including President Bush, must come to understand that environmentalism is a serious threat. If we succumb to the global warming propaganda being thrust upon us daily (with our left-wing press wittingly or not being used as the primary tool of terror/propaganda), then Green Socialism stands a chance of dismantling Western Civilization and throwing us back into the dark ages. Our rights to life, liberty, and property are at stake here.

February 22, 2002

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/englund5.html

xrayzebra
07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
^^Wont do any good Joch. The folks who support the "people are the cause of
everything" crowd don't want to hear the real facts. They love living in never, never
land.

clambake
07-02-2006, 07:29 PM
I have been paying close attention to how you guys talk to each other. I imagine you gazing into one anothers eyes, getting all misty, hanging on every word, knowing you both agree with each others lies, sharing your love of the president, wishing everyone had what you two have...........and praying that ann coulter is not a man!

jochhejaam
07-02-2006, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=clambake]I have been paying close attention to how you guys talk to each other. I imagine you gazing into each others eyes..."
What does this nonsense have to do with Global Warming!?

RobinsontoDuncan
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Jesus you guys are dense, global warming is as much a debate in the scientific community as evolution. Yes you find dessenters, but for christsake this is an accepted phenomenau.

fyatuk
07-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Jesus you guys are dense, global warming is as much a debate in the scientific community as evolution. Yes you find dessenters, but for christsake this is an accepted phenomenau.

The fact that the earth is warming is unanimous.

The assumption that man is causing some of it is accepted by an overwhelming majority.

The assumption that man is causing most of it is accepted by a large amount.

Practically no one agrees on the severity of the consequences. Way too many camps on that.

It's not even close to as immenent a threat as people like Gore portray, there is no "point of no return", and the earth can correct itself. We can take our time implementing changes to lessen our impact on global temperatures.