PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry agrees to six-year deal with Mavs

loveforthegame
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/14948129.htm

Jason Terry agrees to six-year deal with Mavs

By DWAIN PRICE
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

DALLAS - True to his word, Jason Terry will return to play for the Mavericks.

Terry and the Mavs agreed on a six-year contract early Saturday morning worth approximately $50 million. The contract will keep Terry in a Mavs’ uniform through the 2011-’12 season, when he’ll be 34 years old at the conclusion of that season.

"First and foremost I thank God for truly blessing me with not only a new contract," a jubilant Terry said. "But with being able to stay with a team that is really headed in the right direction.

"Everybody knows that at the end of the day after our goal is to win a championship, and we came close last year. And I truly believe in my future we’re going to win one and bring it home to Dallas."

The chances of that happening have increased immensely now that the Mavs have an agreement in place with Terry.

While leading the Mavs to within two victories of capturing their first-ever NBA title, Terry averaged 17.1 points during the regular season. His value then soared in the playoffs when he averaged 19.7 points against the then-defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, and added another 22 points per game in the Finals against the Miami Heat.

Players aren’t eligible to officially sign their free agent contract until July 12. Terry said his press conference may be delayed, because he’s slated to be vacationing in the Bahamas with his family at that time, and isn’t scheduled to return to Dallas until July 17.

Still, to know that his future has been secured take a heavy burden off Terry.

"My main thing with the contract was to be able to secure my family and to have longevity," Terry said. "I’m 28, and this contract will take me up to when I’m 34 and close to 35, and what more can you can ask.

"I’m in the prime of my career and getting a long-term deal now was the No. 1 priority."

With Terry back in the fold, the next step for the Mavs is to secure extensions for Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard. Both players are currently eligible for those extensions, and Mavs management has said that’s a foregone conclusion that it’ll happen before the season starts.

Terry believes he, Nowitzki and Howard are the centerpieces that rival the Spurs’ trio of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili.

"We’ve got three young stars _ two in their prime," Terry said. "Josh has not even reached his full potential yet, but he’s well on his way.

"Now we can really grow and really reach our full potential together, and I think that’s very important."

Because the Terry deal was consummated on the first day free agents could begin negotiations, the seven-year veteran said it spoke volumes about the Mavs’ commitment to continuing with their winning ways.

"It means a lot to me with the commitment that they showed to me and just the support they’ve shown me all year-long," Terry said. "I had a situation with a death (to a niece) in my family and with my mother’s health, and they supported me all the way through, and that’s what you look for in an ownership and in a team.

"That’s more important than anything, that you have a family environment. It makes your job a lot easier to go out and to perform."

The Mavs originally nabbed Terry in a trade with the Atlanta Hawks two summers ago. That came on the heels of the Mavs surprisingly losing popular point guard Steve Nash to the rival Phoenix Suns via free agency.

Thus, Terry was behind the eight-ball of sorts, because then-Mavs coach Don Nelson decided to open the season with rookie Devin Harris starting as Nash’s replacement. Terry didn’t crack the starting lineup until the 20th game of the 2004-’05 season.

"You lose Steve Nash and he goes to Phoenix and becomes the MVP (of the NBA for two years running), no one could have foretold that story," Terry said. "For me, personally, I knew it was an opportunity to play on a winning team and to finally get to the playoffs where I could showcase my skill level, individually.

"But I also knew it was a chance for me to become a better player all around."

While his new contract has provided some personal relief, the 6-2 Terry knows the work is just beginning for him and the Mavs.

"The money is great and you definitely appreciate that part of it," he said. "But you want to get that and be on a winning team.

"We play games to win, and you want that ultimate prize, and that’s the NBA championship. I know I’m very grateful for the city of Dallas, and I’m really excited, because the JET can soar to new heights now, because this is truly a blessing."

windboy226
07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Good news for the Mavs and a pretty reasonable contract...Hopefully we can sign Speedy ,a guy like Harpring to shoot, and a banger behind Dirk.

baseline bum
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
6 years, $50 million? :wtf

That's only $2 million more than freaking Derek Anderson got out of Portland in 2001. Terry should shoot his agent for only getting him that deal.

Terry took a pretty big paycut there. I mean, he's no Tony Parker, but TP's extension was 6 years, $66 million. Then again, Ginobili's extension was 6 years, $53 million.

ducks
07-01-2006, 01:28 PM
cuban did some big begging
telling him he needs the money for howard

VERY resonable CONTACT FOR HIM

rayray2k8
07-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Wow.
What a bargin.
Personally, I think Terry deserved more. :lol

atxrocker
07-01-2006, 02:13 PM
goddamnit i fucking hate terry

Budkin
07-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Well at least our rivalry won't be diminishing any time soon. Ball busting little bitch. Man could it have worked out any better that he missed the tying shot in game 6 of the Finals? :lol

rayray2k8
07-01-2006, 02:17 PM
goddamnit i fucking hate terry
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7253/cubes28lt.gif
Feel better now? :lol

atxrocker
07-01-2006, 02:18 PM
^^ :lol :lol :lol

windboy226
07-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Terry made it pretty clear that he wanted to stay in Dallas and would get a deal done quickly..I was expecting something like 5 yrs 48 mil but I guess he wanted that security of the extra year and any free agent that signs in Texas saves millions over the life of the contract because of no income tax. Very fair deal...but I think Ginobill is a better player and pretty much signed the same contract. Should be happy on both sides.

mavsfan1000
07-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I was hoping for cheaper and less years but still he is a need for the mavs that struggle from outside shooting occasionally.

baseline bum
07-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Cheaper than $50 million? Are you nuts? Most teams in the league would be dying to sign a quality point like Terry so cheaply. $8.33 million per is nothing for a proven playoff performer like him.

texlawman
07-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I agree we got him for a good price. 8.33 million per season average for Terry is very reasonable. Looks like Cuban is finally learning how to control payroll better. Now if he can learn how to shut his big mouth up he'll come full circle.

windboy226
07-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I agree we got him for a good price. 8.33 million per season average for Terry is very reasonable. Looks like Cuban is finally learning how to control payroll better. Now if he can learn how to shut his big mouth up he'll come full circle.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing that despite having one of the highest payrolls last season Cuban won't have to pay a luxury tax this year because he's manuevered well enough to get under the threshold. It basically means Dallas still has about $6-8 million to spend(after the Terry signing) before Cuban has to worry about getting taxed again. So we can use our mid-level and maybe our bi-annual exceptions and still be under the tax. Say what you want about Cuban but he's quite adept in business decisions.

jman3000
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Kalikot ... where art thou?

FreshPrince22
07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Good price for him.

This pisses me off even more about the Ben Wallace deal. Dude's trying to suck every penny out of this franchise.

Hook Dem
07-01-2006, 09:02 PM
dynasty!!!!! :lol Spurs cant even get a fucking deal bunch of old motherfucker :lol :lol :lol . Oh well maybe you guys will land Ben Wallace :lmao :lmao :lmao . Bow down to the Mavs Spurs fans...... :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant
What a fucking idiot! :idiot

baseline bum
07-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it's pretty amazing that despite having one of the highest payrolls last season Cuban won't have to pay a luxury tax this year because he's manuevered well enough to get under the threshold. It basically means Dallas still has about $6-8 million to spend(after the Terry signing) before Cuban has to worry about getting taxed again. So we can use our mid-level and maybe our bi-annual exceptions and still be under the tax. Say what you want about Cuban but he's quite adept in business decisions.

You guys should be at about $64 million or so (discounting Finley's cap hit) as far as the tax is concerned, meaning Cuban will probably pay a million or so in tax. Not bad for a title contending roster.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

FromWayDowntown
07-01-2006, 10:43 PM
he'll come full circle.

Full circle would put him squarely on being a complete jackass.

I think you'd be hoping for a 180.

Good deal for the Mavericks with Terry, though. The numbers are mildly surprising, but the result isn't.

windboy226
07-01-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys should be at about $64 million or so (discounting Finley's cap hit) as far as the tax is concerned, meaning Cuban will probably pay a million or so in tax. Not bad for a title contending roster.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

Evan Eschmeyer and Shawn Bradley's hits also don't count as a tax liablilty....which actually means Dallas isn't in the tax...

DirkAB
07-02-2006, 11:25 AM
6 years, $50 million? :wtf

That's only $2 million more than freaking Derek Anderson got out of Portland in 2001. Terry should shoot his agent for only getting him that deal.

Terry took a pretty big paycut there. I mean, he's no Tony Parker, but TP's extension was 6 years, $66 million. Then again, Ginobili's extension was 6 years, $53 million.

Terry must have wanted to stay with a winner and was willing to take a pay cut in order to do so. I suppose playing in Atlanta for all them years taught him to appreciate winning. Good for the Mavs, and bad for the Spurs.