View Full Version : Superman any good?

2centsworth
07-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Previews don't look very good.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-01-2006, 04:38 PM
dont go see it
i saw on cnn that this was the most expensive movie of all time

so if it bombs, warner brothers may be in serious trouble, especially since they failed to reach out to the mariott population with their bomb remake "Poseidon"

kris
07-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Yahoo and Duff gave it rave reviews.

CrazyOne
07-01-2006, 05:18 PM
El, don't you know that Supes got in under the amnesty program in 1986? :p

I don't know about the movie, but I just tried the Sobe Superman drink... :vomit: It tasted like blue koolaid that sat out for a few days.

Quadzilla99
07-01-2006, 05:19 PM
I havent seen it but that movie reviewer Ebert gave it two stars. Incidentally I loved the original and the first sequel when I was a kid, I saw them again recently and was amazed at how much I still loved them. So if you see it and don't like it maybe you could swing by the Video store and rent the first two. I was surprised at how much I still liked them because when I see movies that I loved as a kid a lot of time they seem immature or silly now but not those two.

ZStomp
07-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Don't depend on what other people say man.

Unless you know the people personally.

That being said. Go see it.

It rocks.

tsb2000
07-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I saw it, and I thought is was good. Not completely awesome, but I left saying I was glad that Singer (the director) didn't screw it up.

ChumpDumper
07-01-2006, 09:12 PM
It's really, really good.

Unlike Batman Begins, this one pays alot of homage to the original movies without getting too goofy (although had they worked Otis into the script, it would be my early Oscar pick).

I never watched anything after the second movie but you can act like this pretty much happens a few years after Superman II, except everyone is younger and prettier. The women are pretty badly miscast, but nothing unforgiveable.

Spurminator
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Great movie. If you like the originals (I and II) you'll like this.

tsb2000
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
I think otis is living it up in "otisburg"

Otisburg?

OTISBURG?!?

:lol

Spurminator
07-01-2006, 10:54 PM
It's just a little place.

leemajors
07-01-2006, 11:41 PM
some inconsistencies, but it's a movie. bosworth was a poor choice, too young, but i still liked it.

DirkAB
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
I liked it, but I really don't think that it compares to X-Men, Batman, Batman Returns, or Batman Begins. That new Spiderman looks badass, but it'll probably disapoint me like the first 2.

Superman was a little too cheesey at times for me, but it was kind of dark at other times. I think they should have started new like Batman Begins did, and made it a whole nother series of movies instead of trying to halfway pick up where the others left off. I think it would have been much better if they would have made it darker and grittier like Batman Begins, really seperate it from the originals. I agree with whoever said that Bosworth was poorly casted, but it is obvious they went young so they could make a bunch of sequels.

Overall it was a good show, and they set it up for a an interesting sequel. I liked it more than Spiderman but less than most of the Batmans.

BTW, there is one thing that always bothered me about Superman, it is way too obvious that Clark Kent is Superman. Especially in this new one, Superman disappears for years and Clark Kent leaves to go on a trip, Kent comes back from his trip after years to get his job back at the paper, and his first day back Superman reappears. WTF? I know it is just a movie based on a comic, but does this bother anybody else?

2centsworth
07-02-2006, 12:07 PM
I liked it. It was slow but overall it was a lot better than expected.

ZStomp
07-02-2006, 12:15 PM
BTW, there is one thing that always bothered me about Superman, it is way too obvious that Clark Kent is Superman. Especially in this new one, Superman disappears for years and Clark Kent leaves to go on a trip, Kent comes back from his trip after years to get his job back at the paper, and his first day back Superman reappears. WTF? I know it is just a movie based on a comic, but does this bother anybody else?

:lol

Me too.

I am a huge Superman fan but it is what it is.

ZStomp
07-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I liked it, but I really don't think that it compares to X-Men, Batman, Batman Returns, or Batman Begins. That new Spiderman looks badass, but it'll probably disapoint me like the first 2.

Superman was a little too cheesey at times for me, but it was kind of dark at other times. I think they should have started new like Batman Begins did, and made it a whole nother series of movies instead of trying to halfway pick up where the others left off. I think it would have been much better if they would have made it darker and grittier like Batman Begins, really seperate it from the originals. I agree with whoever said that Bosworth was poorly casted, but it is obvious they went young so they could make a bunch of sequels.

Overall it was a good show, and they set it up for a an interesting sequel. I liked it more than Spiderman but less than most of the Batmans.

I don't about that. I liked the fact that they picked up after Superman II. I didn't want to go through a whole history of Superman and instead just get right into it.

I want to watch it again and probably will.

:tu :tu

~Sweetmelody~
07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
I really enjoyed it! I thought the effects were fantastic and Brandon really channeled Reeves. Like others have stated it takes place after Superman II which is cool and it makes the channeling of Reeves even more powerful.
I think it’s really unfair to compare this Lois lane to Kidders- She won’t compare. But I was okay with it since she is a mommy and well she is a little upset that her man left without saying a word. I think I will stop since I will be giving away some spoilers but overall I give it a B+

:lol Yes, it has bothered me

DirkAB
07-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I do really like how they kept Brando as Jor-El.

dougp
07-02-2006, 06:54 PM
I thought the movie was awesome, story and all ... though Kate Bosworth shouldn't have been LL. All in all, I think it was better than X3, story wise. Coulda done with a true villain though.

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2006, 07:18 PM

Batman has always been more darker than Supes, just look at Gotham compared to Metropolis.

DirkAB
07-02-2006, 09:35 PM
so you have two moods, cheesy and dark????????

don't you mean superman represented something we would all like to be and you can't understand that?

sounds like superman is fine, but you may have issues that don't let you see the wholesome good in this movie......... :depressed

I have issues because I thought that parts of this movie were too cheesey? You're a fuckin' dork dude!!!1

Superman represents something we would all like to be and I can't understand that? Seriously, did you get a boner when you watched this movie or something? You are taking this whole movie way too serious, get a life loser. He's Superman not Jesus Christ.

DirkAB
07-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Batman has always been more darker than Supes, just look at Gotham compared to Metropolis.

You're right.

dougp
07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
what do you mean "true" villian? some one who wants to take over the world and kill billions of people isn't a true villian? :rolleyes
Not quite as much of a villain as say, Magneto, Apocalypse, Joker, Two-Face, etc.

leemajors
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Not quite as much of a villain as say, Magneto, Apocalypse, Joker, Two-Face, etc.

i thought lex coulda been up to more earlier in the movie, but lex luthor is up there with any comic book villian. maybe you think he isn't as bad as them because he has no powers?

Phenomanul
07-02-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm a big Superman fan.... I agree that the movie was slow... but I thought Routh did an excellent job of capturing the Superman persona really well... as did Spacey for Lex Luthor...

Having said that, I believe this movie was the exposition for bigger things to come... meaning that this movie was forced into a slower pace simply because they had to fill the plot elements between Superman II and this movie.... as well as having to re-do some of the character expositions.

I give the movie 8 stars out of 10...

I'm really looking forward to a movie about the Justice League given a couple of sequels for the Batman and Superman movies.....

DirkAB
07-03-2006, 02:16 AM
you don't understand...he is supposed to be cheesy. END OF STORY.

The cheesier the better for you, huh? You don't think that they could go too corny with it? Because I think they made somethings a little too predictable and others a little too corny. Still liked it, but it wasn't as good as a few other comic book movies. I think that you are a little too excited over this movie, you act like this was the greatest movie of all-time, when it wasn't even close. I'd give it about a 6 out of 10.

J.T.
07-03-2006, 02:25 AM
Good movie. Would have been great if the ending didn't drag on for about 30 minutes after the climax. I'd say it's on the level with Batman Begins, maybe below it. Batman Begins trumped every other Batman movie that came before it. After seeing this I still miss parts of the originals.

Good film though. I wish they had these kinds of special effects for the first two.

jyl spurs
07-03-2006, 02:53 AM
My school is featured for the best of 5 seconds in that movie
As well as other spots around Sydney

Boston George
07-03-2006, 08:07 AM
I really am glad i didnt have to pay for it....it was so freaking stupid and way off base, didnt go along with anytype of comic and just was plain stupid....two of my friends fell asleep at the theater while 2 others got up and left....way too fake by the way as well...spiderman was more believable

leemajors
07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
I really am glad i didnt have to pay for it....it was so freaking stupid and way off base, didnt go along with anytype of comic and just was plain stupid....two of my friends fell asleep at the theater while 2 others got up and left....way too fake by the way as well...spiderman was more believable

to each his own. i thought blow was a big pile of shit. who is supposed to empathize with a cocaine dealer?

dougp
07-03-2006, 08:17 AM
you need to look up the definition of villian. :lol
He's nowhere near the ones I listed ...

leemajors
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Having said that, I believe this movie was the exposition for bigger things to come... meaning that this movie was forced into a slower pace simply because they had to fill the plot elements between Superman II and this movie.... as well as having to re-do some of the character expositions.

right on here... this one got the fleshing out of the characters done, now with the subsequent movies they can do more. hopefully they will be better than the QUEST FOR PEACE. they showed that trailer before the movie at the alamo drafthouse this weekend... :lol

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Comic book movies are supposed to be believeable?

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Comic book movies are supposed to be believeable?

You mean to tell me that Halle Berry and Jessica Alba DON'T run around in skin-tight suits and have kick-ass super-powers?!!?!?
Boy, talk about a buzz-kill!!!!
:depressed

E20
07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Gog>>>>Superman. He killed him a thousand times!!!!

whottt
07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
I haven't seen it yet but intend too...

I thought the first Superman movie was good but I really didn't like any of them that followed.

I thought all the Keaton/Clooney/Kilmer Batman movies sucked.

IMO there have only been a few good Superhero movies.

My rankings, in order:

1.Spiderman II
2.Superman
3.Batman Begins
4.X-Men II
5.Spiderman
6.X-Men

All of the others suck...except maybe the campy Batman movie from the 60's that started the TV show....it was what it was.

To me this movie looks like a snoozer...

Superman has a lot of cool villians other than Luthor and frankly I am tired of him only squaring off against Luthor...and Gene Hackman is going to be tough to follow as Luthor...

What about Brainiac? Bizarro? I am sure there are a ton of others I can't think of.

What makes the Spiderman and Batman movies so cool is the Villians..Superman's got some good ones too, and he was created as a sci-fi character but all they seem to want to do is put him in these movies that involve urban type stories against a non powered foe...that's Superman at his boringest if you ask me.

Anyway, I am planning on seeing it today...I'll withold judgement tiill I actually see it...but I'm not too excited about it since all it seems to be is Superman V Luthor for the umpteenth time.

whottt
07-03-2006, 01:46 PM
By the way...just to make this Spurs related...the guy that created Superman, Jerry Siegel, was Lithuanian, his parent were Lithuanian immigrants...

So Americans and Spursfans can thank Lithuania for their greatest Pop icon...as well as Javtokas ;)

E20
07-03-2006, 01:57 PM
By the way...just to make this Spurs related...the guy that created Superman, Jerry Siegel, was Lithuanian, his parent were Lithuanian immigrants...

So Americans and Spursfans can thank Lithuania for their greatest Pop icon...as well as Javtokas ;)
Don't forget Joe Shuster.

whottt
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
I give Shuster all the credit in the world for creating the visual, arguably the most important thing...but literally everything else was created by Siegel and he had inpunt into the visual design as well. It's a safe bet to say that Superman would have existed without Joe Shuster...he would not have existed without Jerry Siegel.

Without Sigel there also wouldn't be Batman, Spiderman...and all the rest.

But since you mentioned it...

Shuster was Canadian, also the son of immigrants, a Dutch father and a Russian mother.

DirkAB
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Gene Hackman is going to be tough to follow as Luthor...

Hackman did make a better Luthor. I love Kevin Spacey and his movies, but Hackman as Luther is one of the best casted roles....ever as far as I'm concerned. Spacey did about as good of a job as anybody besides a young Hackman, but regardless of how great he was it was going to be a guaranteed downgrade from Hackman.

leemajors
07-03-2006, 02:23 PM
anybody read kavalier and klay? great homage to sigel and shuster, though chabon's other novels leave much to be desired.

Jules
07-03-2006, 05:09 PM
This flick has been on my radar for the past few years. It didn't live up to the hype, but most movies don't. Nonetheless, it is always nice to see Flyboy save the day.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I bet trainwreck has already seen this movie 2 times

:smokin

2centsworth
07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Hackman did make a better Luthor. I love Kevin Spacey and his movies, but Hackman as Luther is one of the best casted roles....ever as far as I'm concerned. Spacey did about as good of a job as anybody besides a young Hackman, but regardless of how great he was it was going to be a guaranteed downgrade from Hackman.
Spacey was ok.

TheTruth
07-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Thought it was fantastic. Routh was a GREAT superman. That was a great casting decision right there. Didn't care much for bosworth as LL, but she didn't ruin the movie. Lex was just crazy enough for me, but gotdam Parker Posey just annoys me. Can't wait to see the next few.

TheTruth
07-03-2006, 08:54 PM
anybody read kavalier and klay? great homage to sigel and shuster, though chabon's other novels leave much to be desired.
yeah, fantastic book. Made me look at comic book sidekicks a little differently though. :smokin

chode_regulator
07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
heard it sucked

whottt
07-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Ok, I just got back from it...

It most definitely did not suck. Don't believe the negative reviews and try to forget about the fact that it goes over a lot of old material. It was amazingly good actually. I should have known better than to underestimate Brian Singer. And Kevin Spacey was excellent IMO. I had really low expectations for this movie and boy was I wrong.

I agree with most of the positive reviews in here, and I also agree that it's only flaw was being a little too long at the end. Still...I didn't regret spending money to see it...unlike FF and X-Men III.

Best Superman movie ever if you ask me.

ZStomp
07-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I bet trainwreck has already seen this movie 2 times

I did.

Duff McCartney
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm sure that nobody being able to figure out that Clark Kent is Superman is just another of the themes you're supposed to learn from the movie/comics.

It's got a very God/Jesus thing going, always be good, don't ever underestimate anybody (Clark Kent being Superman), never trust bald men....so on and so forth.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I did.

Sad.

You should have arrested someone, then listened to King Diamond or something...

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 12:21 PM
who played louis?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 12:22 PM
oh really? well if she's that hot i'm sure it wasn't THAT bad
looks are everything

Spurminator
07-04-2006, 12:25 PM
the girl from underworld

That's Kate Beckinsale.

Lois was played by Kate Bosworth, best known for that surfer chick movie....

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
I just saw it last night (my sisters and I needed a pick-me-up after a funeral). Agree with the gist of most of the comments. No spoilers follow.

Positives
-They paid a lot of homage to Supe I. Kept the John Williams score, kept the opening title sequence (when Supe I made its original run in the theaters, people applauded the title sequence after it was over), kept Brando's hammy-but-fun readings. Even reran some dialogue from the original.
-Superior special effects; technically excellent.
-Much more complex character development than Supe I.
-Routh was good, he won't kill the franchise. Everyone else did a fine job, with the exceptions of Lois Lane and Perry White
-The kid did a decent job. Usually I have low expectations for kids.
-I think overall they successfully pulled off the Jesus metaphors, although they walked the line a few times.

Negatives
-Came very close to paying too much homage. By that, I mean every time they drew comparison to the original movie, it suffered. Especially the actors: Hackman > Spacey, Kidder > Bosworth, Jackie Cooper >>>> Somnabulent Frank Langella (he was horrible), and most of all Reeve >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Routh (although he wasn't terrible, it's just that Reeve nailed Superman/Kent as much as anyone ever nailed a role).
-Tad too drawn out
-Too high of a serious-to-fun ratio. Maybe they'll loosen up in the sequels.

A few comments (no spoilers)
-Shit, I didn't even recognize Eve Marie Saint as Ma Kent. Pretty funny (on purpose I suppose) with her being Ma Kent and Brando as Jor-El.
-The scene with the two dogs literally made me miss two minutes of the movie I was laughing so hard. I seemed to have been the only one, though.
-This movie had to have set a record for most names in the closing credits. With all the CG people, there must have been 500 names.
-I agree with the "Superman was gone, so was Clark, now they're both back and NOBODY GETS IT?", but am willing to suspend a lot more disbelief for Superman than any other comic book hero. Let's fact it, nothing about Superman holds up under logical scrutiny.
-I've been humming the John Williams score ever since last night.

Phenomanul
07-04-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm a big Superman fan.... I agree that the movie was slow... but I thought Routh did an excellent job of capturing the Superman persona really well... as did Spacey for Lex Luthor...

I give the movie 8 stars out of 10...

I'm really looking forward to a movie about the Justice League given a couple of sequels for the Batman and Superman movies.....

...oh and where they cast Angelina Jolie as Wonder Woman....

and Stiffler as Wally West.... aka the Flash...

JK...

Phenomanul
07-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Ok, I just got back from it...

It most definitely did not suck. Don't believe the negative reviews and try to forget about the fact that it goes over a lot of old material. It was amazingly good actually. I should have known better than to underestimate Brian Singer. And Kevin Spacey was excellent IMO. I had really low expectations for this movie and boy was I wrong.

I agree with most of the positive reviews in here, and I also agree that it's only flaw was being a little too long at the end. Still...I didn't regret spending money to see it...unlike FF and X-Men III.

Best Superman movie ever if you ask me.

Where does it fit in your previous ranking???

whottt
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
You don't have to suspend your disbelief for Superman as much as you do for Batman and Spiderman...

An alien from a heavy gravity world capable of photosynthesis and higher brain functions that work at an involuntary level, is much more realistic than a guy becoming a spider by being bitten by one.

Or a normal man mastering all forms of martial arts, and criminology, and sticking high tech computers and vehicles beyond what the capability of US govt has, all underneath his house, all while running a billion dollar company, and using all of this to engage in extreme vigilanteism....without the US Govt being even the slightest bit concerned? Without even being chased, much less caught?

You guys must be living on different planet than me...or Superman.

Uh no...Batman is the most unrealistic character of them all.

whottt
07-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Why would anyone even assume Superman has a Secret ID by the way? And it's pretty hard to belive Routh's Clark could ever be Superman.

whottt
07-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Where does it fit in your previous ranking???

#3. Right behind Spidey II and Batman Returns...it's probably tied with Batman Returns.

Spidey II is the king of all comic book movies though...IMO. Even though I like the Superman character better.

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, Superman Returns, X Men 2, Spiderman.

All the rest sucked ass.

DirkAB
07-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, Superman Returns, X Men 2, Spiderman.

All the rest sucked ass.

You didn't like the first X-Men or the Batman movies that Burton did?

I wasn't all that impressed with the first 2 Spiderman movies, I enjoyed them and thought that they were good movies, but I was ultimately disappointed. Maybe I had too high of expectations. I think that Spiderman #3 looks badass. There I go again getting my expectations up.

ShoogarBear
07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
Or a normal man mastering all forms of martial arts, and criminology, and sticking high tech computers and vehicles beyond what the capability of US govt has, all underneath his house, all while running a billion dollar company, and using all of this to engage in extreme vigilanteism....without the US Govt being even the slightest bit concerned? Without even being chased, much less caught? http://www.worldpress.org/images/20050223-dick-cheney.jpg

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
You didn't like the first X-Men or the Batman movies that Burton did?

I wasn't all that impressed with the first 2 Spiderman movies, I enjoyed them and thought that they were good movies, but I was ultimately disappointed. Maybe I had too high of expectations. I think that Spiderman #3 looks badass. There I go again getting my expectations up.
The Joker ruined the first batman. The first X Men was a mess, and Sabertooth sucked major nads. Batman Returns was alright.

PM5K
07-04-2006, 08:20 PM
#3. Right behind Spidey II and Batman Returns...it's probably tied with Batman Returns.

No way, Batman Begins was better than Superman Returns....

Phenomanul
07-04-2006, 08:21 PM
You don't have to suspend your disbelief for Superman as much as you do for Batman and Spiderman...

An alien from a heavy gravity world capable of photosynthesis and higher brain functions that work at an involuntary level, is much more realistic than a guy becoming a spider by being bitten by one.

Or a normal man mastering all forms of martial arts, and criminology, and sticking high tech computers and vehicles beyond what the capability of US govt has, all underneath his house, all while running a billion dollar company, and using all of this to engage in extreme vigilanteism....without the US Govt being even the slightest bit concerned? Without even being chased, much less caught?

You guys must be living on different planet than me...or Superman.

What's funny though...

Is that Batman is probably my favorite super hero... And if you've watched any of the Justice League episodes (they're great btw)... it's amazing to see that even Superman defers his leadership to Batman on several occasions.

True, he is a very unrealistic character (for someone with no special powers)... and is a love me/hate me sort of hero... but he is truly unique in the comic world.

Gritty determination
Quick on his feet...
Amazingly smart.
Amazingly cultured.
Highly skilled in several martial arts.
Is a supreme tactician... many times using an opponent's weakness against themselves.
Highly intimidating (unlike the Adam West version)...
and of course, very very rich...

PM5K
07-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Batman is also my favorite as well, but I don't think that affects my opinion and the fact that Batman Begins was better than Superman Returns.

I always liked Batman because he can't leap tall buildings in a single bound, he's not more powerful than a locomotive and he's not faster than a speeding bullet, he's just a hardcore bad-ass and I think Batman Begins really showed that better than any previous Batman movie...

whottt
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I like Bats, but they blow him up so he's pretty unrealistic, at least they did when I was a kid.

I also have no real problems rating Batman Returns higher than Superman begins...But it's real close IMO.

I did not like the Tim Burton Batman at all, period. Not even the one with Nicholson...I thought it sucked, and was boring, as well as stupid.

What those movies turned into were star vehicles for whichever actors were playing the villians, and they were allowed to chew up the scenery at will...Jack Nicholson, Danny Devito, Uma Thurman, Jim Carrey, Michelle Pheiffer, Tommy Lee Jones, Arnie...

Lame. Those actors were not truly trying to characterize those villians and make a good film.

Spiderman, Batman Begins, Superman Returns...these movies basically had unknowns in the lead roles and it worked to the benefit of all the movies. True...they all had a couple of big name actors, but the big name actors in these films were character actors and actually acted to make a movie with actual characters in it, cohesive plot, a movie that pulls you into the story...and not just a stage for a bunch of Superstar types to ham it up...

whottt
07-04-2006, 09:43 PM
The one exception to all of this was the X-Men which had a cast of megastars in every one of them...

It's actually kind of amazing that they kept that X-Men cast together for three films...3 SuperHero Films.

It's amazing if you can keep a cast of unknowns begging to eat, together for 3 movies, or keep a cast for a Motion Picture of the Year Candidate together for 3 years.....

Much less a cast for a comic movie that features multiple Oscar Winners running around in longjohns. It really was amazing.

And they were all pretty high quality and somehow managed to avoid turning into a hamfest.

Pretty much a once in a lifetime event....but those movies still weren't of the quality of the most recent Supes, Spidey and Bats movies.

TheTruth
07-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Too bad the kept the X Men 3 cast intact. Halle Berry sucked.

whottt
07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Halle Berry never sucks. Who gives a shit if she can act or not.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Before taking Truth's commentary seriously, please remember he liked King Kong.

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2006, 10:04 PM
The reason they stayed intact was because it was in the big name's contract to do 3, that's why they say there won't be another, cause it will be a bitch to get them all back together. And if there is another Storm must die in the first scene, Halle Berre couldn't get that part right if it slapped her in the face.

whottt
07-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Seriously though...she looks exactly like Storm. And the way she was written in these movies is much like Storm was written originally...timid and quiet.

There is no one else who could have played Storm IMO...and the fact that she wasn't good in those movies had to do with the fact that she wasn't given anthing to do. She bitched about that you know...

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Halle Berry never sucks. Who gives a shit if she can act or not.

We already saw her lopsided boobies in swordfish, so what's the point

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Seriously though...she looks exactly like Storm. And the way she was written in these movies is much like Storm was written originally...timid and quiet.

There is no one else who could have played Storm IMO...and the fact that she wasn't good in those movies had to do with the fact that she wasn't given anthing to do. She bitched about that you know...

Yeah she bitched about it, so then they killed off the prof. and gave her more speaking roles and she was horrible.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
we saw her jiggling inverted titties and her ass being slammed by billy bob thorton in monster's ball too, but she's still ridiculously hot as storm, especially with the new haircut.

whottt
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
The Prof isn't dead.

whottt
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
We already saw her lopsided boobies in swordfish, so what's the point

Fag

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
The Prof isn't dead.

Yeah, but his "death" gave her more lines

Cant_Be_Faded
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
dude halle barry is a goddess its only right she play ororo

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2006, 10:14 PM
dude halle barry is a goddess its only right she play ororo

yeah, but she's a shitty ororo. Like she can't hit her lines for shit. Look at Grammer, he nailed Beast on the first shot, and Barry's had three movies to get it right, and she never could

Mark in Austin
07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
I really dig Berry's west African accent - she's nailed it in all three movies.

CuckingFunt
07-04-2006, 11:55 PM
I give fuck all about realism.

Batman's a badass.

whottt
07-05-2006, 12:21 AM
Not only is Batman unrealistic...but Frank Miller is a douchebag...Sin City was a hackjob...and Rosario Dawson is a tramp. And I give fuck all that you give fuck all about realism.

CuckingFunt
07-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Not only is Batman unrealistic...but Frank Miller is a douchebag...Sin City was a hackjob...and Rosario Dawson is a tramp. And I give fuck all that you give fuck all about realism.
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

No matter how wrong they may be.

DirkAB
07-05-2006, 12:40 AM
I also have no real problems rating Batman Returns higher than Superman begins...But it's real close IMO.

I did not like the Tim Burton Batman at all, period. Not even the one with Nicholson...I thought it sucked, and was boring, as well as stupid.

Burton directed Batman and Batman Returns.

E20
07-05-2006, 01:02 AM
Batman is the best character DC has to offer. IMO

Does everybody remember the Death of Superman? After his death every DC character in the comics sported a black band around there arm with the S symbol. Even Jay Leno and other people had them.

Damn that was a good game for the Genesis.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c7/Deathofsuperman.jpg/389px-Deathofsuperman.jpg

whottt
07-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Burton directed Batman and Batman Returns.

Obviously...I meant Batman Begins and Superman Returns....was it really that hard to figure out, since there's never been a movie called Superman Begins?

For most people common sense would have been enough to figure out it was a typo...but you're you...so common sense won't be a factor here and I will have to explain the obvious.

Tim Burton Batman...the Batman of Keaton, Clooney, and Kilmer...the 4 films made in the late 80's and early to mid 90's, featuring the villians played by the actors I mentioned earlier, and yes I know Burton did not direct all of them...but it was still his Batman. And it sucked.

CuckingFunt
07-05-2006, 01:14 AM
Tim Burton Batman...the Batman of Keaton, Clooney, and Kilmer...the 4 films made in the late 80's and early to mid 90's, featuring the villians played by the actors I mentioned earlier, and yes I know Burton did not direct all of them...but it was still his Batman. And it sucked.
I respect your opinion that they all sucked, but you really can't call that abomination that Shumacher put on the screen Burton's Batman.

DarkReign
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
nothing about the new movie bothers me.....one thing that always bothered my dad about the 1978 movie is that clark was too wimpy. in the old tv series he was always a tough talking SOB, even when he was clark kent....but the comic book and the movies are more closely related.

I always liked the explanation that David Carradine as Bill in Kill Bill gave as to the ways of Superman and his character's fascination with the Man of Steel.
__________________________________________________ ________

Bill:
...I'm quite keen on comic books. Especially the ones about superheroes. I find the whole mythology surrounding superheroes fascinating. Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology...

The mythology is not only great, it's unique.

[sic]

Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man.

And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman.

His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S" - that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes.

What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us.

Clark Kent is how Superman views us.

And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent?

He's weak...he's unsure of himself...he's a coward.

Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

ShoogarBear
07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
^Now I understand why whottt identifies with Superman.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2006, 10:36 AM
superman returns sucked ass i think if i could get my money back now...i would.....don't watch it, its stupid....its ridiculous and its completely way off base

Spurminator
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
This is pretty old news, but for those who were not aware, Superman II will be re-released on DVD this November with the "Richard Donner Version". This version was 70% completed when the first Superman (directed by Donner) was released, but Donner was not brought back to complete the second one. Richard Lester was hired and reshot/rewrote a significant portion of the movie.

More info:
http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/news/jun06.shtml

I'm pumped about this. The version of Superman II that I grew up watching (we recorded it on television) had several additional scenes that cannot be found on the DVD version. Plus, I've always been bothered by some of the Lester scenes... such as the "final showdown" between Superman and Zod/Non/Ursa where he suddenly has new powers like the ability to disappear and reappear in four different places, or that super cheesy effect where he throws a big plastic "S" at Non.

Opinionater
07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
IMHO, I thought it was a good movie and entertaining although I didn't like Louis Lane, should have been a brunette. But otherwise I enjoyed it and so did my kids.

DarkReign
07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
...or that super cheesy effect where he throws a big plastic "S" at Non.

OMG, and here I thought I was the only one who hated that shit. I was very very young when that movie came out and I hated it for that very reason.

Spurminator
07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Lester put together some good fight scenes in Metropolis, but other than that his additions were pretty bad...

Many of the scenes with Lois and Clark at Niagra Falls were Lester contributions. Donner's version had a kid in a boat falling over the Falls with Superman saving him. Lester just had some idiot kid playing on the rails... I always thought that kid deserved to die.

Also, in Donner's version, Lois proves that Clark is Superman by shooting a gun at him. When nothing happens, Clark admits he's Superman. Lois then reveals the gun was loaded with blanks. Much cooler than Clark falling into a fire.

leemajors
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
This is pretty old news, but for those who were not aware, Superman II will be re-released on DVD this November with the "Richard Donner Version". This version was 70% completed when the first Superman (directed by Donner) was released, but Donner was not brought back to complete the second one. Richard Lester was hired and reshot/rewrote a significant portion of the movie.

More info:

I'm pumped about this. The version of Superman II that I grew up watching (we recorded it on television) had several additional scenes that cannot be found on the DVD version. Plus, I've always been bothered by some of the Lester scenes... such as the "final showdown" between Superman and Zod/Non/Ursa where he suddenly has new powers like the ability to disappear and reappear in four different places, or that super cheesy effect where he throws a big plastic "S" at Non.
that version has been floating around newsgroups and torrent sites for a while, someone had edited it back together a while ago. would be nice to see a professional release.

Spurminator
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
The version on the web is still Lester's version, but with some of the Donner scenes that were in International TV versions added in.... The re-release will utilize unseen footage that Donner shot, including (hopefully) scenes with Marlon Brando at the Fortress.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM

More info:

ha hah a they had a part of that in family guy it was funny

Jimcs50
07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Don't depend on what other people say man.

Unless you know the people personally.

That being said. Go see it.

It rocks.

I liked it too...I suggest you go see it for yourself

jman3000
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I was planning on seeing it when it came out... but my friends wanted to see Nacho Libre instead. I'll check it out this weekend.

E20
07-05-2006, 03:39 PM
It was incredibly uncool when Superman invitied Lois Lane for Dinner and some sex in the Fortress of Solitude.

Jules
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM

I didn't like Lester's Superman II and was surprised when he returned for Superman III. I loved his direction in A Hard Days Night and Help!, but Supey flew below his radar.

ididnotnothat
07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I liked it.

Phenomanul
07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Here is a link to failed Superman V scripts before WB finally decided on Superman Returns.

IMO Alex Ford's would have been the best route to take the franchise... but WB execs don't know anything about comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_Lives

Spurminator
07-31-2006, 01:45 PM
More on the Donner cut of Superman II... Spoilers included.

http://www.supermancinema.co.uk/daily_planet/news/index.shtml

MannyIsGod
11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Just watched it. Was very impressed. Really looking forward to the next one.

Phenomanul
11-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I saw the Richard Donner Cut for Superman II last night....

IMO WB executives made a serious error in running Donner off of the original project... Superman III and IV were a farse... which is why Superman Returns cues off of the events of Superman II without a mention to the events in III or IV.

Donner's Cut >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than the Theatrical Release of Superman II.