PDA

View Full Version : Brazil breaks a nation's heart in the World Cup

GrandeDavid
07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Brazil lost to France and, thankfully, no Brazilian players, coaches, media or even fans I know are making excuses. France deserved to win, and Brazil lacked anything resembling the passion and fun they displayed for years under current Brazilian coach of Portugal, Filipao.

As an American with clear preference for basketball, football, baseball, etc., I still love Brazil and love the World Cup. As I am now, I was also living in Brazil during Brazil's 2002 World Cup triumph. I saw the joy, the union of a people, the optimism that a sport can create in an entire country.

Its eery to think how people overlooked today's game against France, myself included, sort of as if it were a tune up game for the eventual Finals. Once Argentina went down to Germany, Brazilians could taste their sixth world title.

But it wasn't meant to be. And I want to tell this to my fellow Americans back home, specifically my fellow Spurs fans with whom I suffered when the Spurs fell to Dallas in this years' playoffs, I think that collectively this is much more painful, what Brazil is experiencing. A nation of around 145 million was 100% involved in every game, with great expectations. The New York Times ran a terrific feature article on soccer being part of the Brazilian fiber. So you can imagine how disappointed this nation is.

I guess what I'm saying to myself, as a Spurs fan, is that things can be much worse! Take Brazil as an example.

The great thing is that the Brazilian fans, dismayed as they are, are showing great class in complimenting France and not creating bullshit excuses, like the match was fixed. It was not. France took it to them and Brazil, from the first game of this edition of the World Cup, was an obvious team of stars, nice guys, but anything but cohesive. They lacked fire, they lacked urgency.

I think that experiencing this loss, firsthand in Brazil, tempers previous Spurs letdowns. Hey, in less than a year the Spurs will get another shot at the title. Plus its safe to say that far less than 145 million people bleed silver in black.

Tough, tough loss.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree with most of what you are saying, but I disagree with the fact you are equating passion with size of population. It has nothing to do with that. For example, here in Argentina we are about 35 million, but I can tell you our passion for football is on par with Brasil's. Brasil should feel bad, they had enough talent to fill two world class rosters and yet seemed to lack the will and desire their people expected of them. So much for Jogo Bonito...

Still I have no doubt Brasil is going to bounce back and be a contender yet again next world cup... as it always does.

GrandeDavid
07-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I see what you are saying, but I was just showing the volume of people, trying to illustrate something that we rarely see in America, which is literally the ENTIRE nation glued to the television and emotionally dependant on the outcome of a sporting event. Even in San Antonio there are passive Spurs fans. I know many of them. They go to games, they cheer, but when they fall in the playoffs they're like, "oh well", hey let's get another beer.

Believe me, I know that Argentina is the same way as the Brazilians as far as their emotional ties to their national team.

whottt
07-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Well you have to give props to France...it looked to me like Brazil was indeed playing with passion and trying to win, especially late. You could clearly see the anguish and frustration on their faces as time slipped away from them. France just whipped their butts.

My biggest disppointment out of all this is that we won't be seing any more scantily clad Brazillian women in bikinis...always a WC highlight for myself.

GrandeDavid
07-01-2006, 06:54 PM
ManuMania, let me share something you said with which I agree 100%...

In a private discussion, ManuMania said that Brazil was an embarrassment in that they displayed an attitude like they own the World Cup. I couldn't agree more and that's exactly what the Brazilian fans and Brazilian analysts are saying. Not once did the team show that they bled their nation's colors, and not once did they get physical and try to tough out a win. They relied on risky passes into traffic and occasional footwork, but other than that, they were a complete letdown to their fans.

No question how great the players are, but I will say that I question this coach, Barreira. Throughout the match against France and all the other matches he simply sat with an indifferent expression on his face.

SPARKY
07-01-2006, 08:52 PM
eh, I guess that's an upset or some such.

GrandeDavid
07-01-2006, 08:59 PM
whottt, you make a good point about the chicks! ha ha

rascal
07-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Robinho should have been starting right from the start. When he was in the game Brazil was much more dangerous and he came into the game with France too late.

GrandeDavid
07-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Okay, I'm over the loss now. And, yes, the coach is a moron for not going with Robinho and Adriano much earlier.

Clandestino
07-02-2006, 08:07 AM
the only reason i could see this as being worse for all soccer fans is bc it does only happen ever 4 yrs... that would fucking suck to have to wait 4 years for the spurs to get another shot at a title...

MaNuMaNiAc
07-02-2006, 09:24 AM
the only reason i could see this as being worse for all soccer fans is bc it does only happen ever 4 yrs... that would fucking suck to have to wait 4 years for the spurs to get another shot at a title...
well... yes and no. Its also a tournament among nations instead of states. I would equate the NBA with a local football league. For example, Spurs = River Plate for me. Being a a tournament of nations it means more to people. Plus the four years is a bitch yeah

whottt
07-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Local football yes...except the NBA champion would whip any national team in the world....including some of the NBA dream teams we've sent(excepting the first two Dream Teams).

Additionally, a team of the World's best being better than a team of a Nation's best...that's a better message...don't you think?

I'm not sure if the same could be said of Soccer...but it probably could as well since those teams have some extremetly high payrolls.

To me the 4 year wait is a negative. It's the reason the Dream Team and FIBA tourneys were never on par in popularity with the NBA, plus nationalism just isn't what it used to be for America, well until recently. But the wait is too long, the tournament too short, to justify the huge investment/expenditure into it by many IMO.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Additionally, a team of the World's best being better than a team of a Nation's best...that's a better message...don't you think?
Well I don't know, does having to pay ridiculous amounts of money to a player so that he plays for your team send a better message than national pride? Plus I wasn't talking about the US. Perhaps national pride isn't the same for the US as it is for the rest of the world, but thats your issue. I'm talking football in general.

I'm not sure if the same could be said of Soccer...but it probably could as well since those teams have some extremetly high payrolls.
also, the World Cup is a tournament where players compete to represent their people with pride and money comes as a distant second since most national teams pay nothing compared to the mayor leagues in Europe, as opposed to the NBA where most players care more about the big bucks than anything else (notice I said most, and not all because there are exceptions).

To me the 4 year wait is a negative. It's the reason the Dream Team and FIBA tourneys were never on par in popularity with the NBA, plus nationalism just isn't what it used to be for America, well until recently. But the wait is too long, the tournament too short, to justify the huge investment/expenditure into it by many IMO.
yes the problem with the 4 year wait is that players usually have a very hectic schedule what with their local leagues, then international club tournaments, then the Olympics, then the America's Cup over here, and the European Cup over there, and finally the qualifying round for the WC. To make a WC every 2 years would be almost impossible. Let's not forget that as important as the World Cup is to most people, what runs the football industry are the major leagues around the world, and national competitions usually come in second.

whottt
07-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Well I don't know, does having to pay ridiculous amounts of money to a player so that he plays for your team send a better message than national pride?

Since it's the same guys that do both, and since when push comes to shove they usually choose the money over the National Pride....I don't think the comparison is real strong...in this case money is just a tool used to coerce the spirity of humanity.

Plus I wasn't talking about the US. Perhaps national pride isn't the same for the US as it is for the rest of the world, but thats your issue. I'm talking football in general.

Here in America, when consider rabid nationalism to be a sign of an overly agressive, violent and bloodthirsty society...but that's just us :fro

also, the World Cup is a tournament where players compete to represent their people with pride and money comes as a distant second since most national teams pay nothing compared to the mayor leagues in Europe, as opposed to the NBA where most players care more about the big bucks than anything else (notice I said most, and not all because there are exceptions).

Wake me when Manu starts forgoing his NBA job so he can represent his country...

yes the problem with the 4 year wait is that players usually have a very hectic schedule what with their local leagues, then international club tournaments, then the Olympics, then the America's Cup over here, and the European Cup over there, and finally the qualifying round for the WC. To make a WC every 2 years would be almost impossible. Let's not forget that as important as the World Cup is to most people, what runs the football industry are the major leagues around the world, and national competitions usually come in second.

Ok well we agree on this point...it's about what I figured. The best competition comes from the Pro Leagues, because of the money, not the National Tourneys...same for Soccer as it is for every other sport IMO. IMO, the National Tourneys are more about Patriotism than actual Sports fandom, thus the pro leagues are the truer athletic competition...big money or not.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Here in America, when consider rabid nationalism to be a sign of an overly agressive, violent and bloodthirsty society...but that's just us :fro
who's talking about rabid nationalism?? you're going to extremes here buddy, besides what the hell does being agressive, violent and bloodthirsty have anything to do with what we're talking about?? I think you're hung up on politics when I'm talking healthy athletic competition.

Wake me when Manu starts forgoing his NBA job so he can represent his country...
Like I said, everyone knows that clubs are how players make a living, ofcourse Manu is not going to choose his livelyhood over representing his country, but that doesn't mean its any the lesser. Hypothetically if in both cases the money was the same I am certain Manu would choose to play for his national team rather than the Spurs.

Ok well we agree on this point...it's about what I figured. The best competition comes from the Pro Leagues, because of the money, not the National Tourneys...same for Soccer as it is for every other sport IMO. IMO, the National Tourneys are more about Patriotism than actual Sports fandom, thus the pro leagues are the truer athletic competition...big money or not. wrong, national tournaments are about both. In equal share. I really don't see where you are going with this, I mean by your logic, pro leagues are more about the money than actual sports fandom as well, so what are you getting at? An athlete can be inspired to compete by something other than greed. I'm sorry you don't see how special it is to represent ones nation, and ones people, but some of us do, and its truely an honor. Yes money is what makes everything work, but there are other things aswell.

j-6
07-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I'd like to see that NYT article if you have a link to it somewhere, David. Thanks.

GrandeDavid
07-02-2006, 04:35 PM
j-6, here ya go:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/sports/soccer/25brazil.html?ex=1152417600&en=756769e6c4378c3e&ei=5070&emc=eta1

GrandeDavid
07-02-2006, 04:41 PM
In the aftermath of that terrible loss, the Brazilian analysts and fans are especially frustrated with the Brazilian players' and even coaches' lack of emotion. Its one thing to be stoic and confident, but its also important to respect an opponent like France, whom many in Brazil thought Brazil would beat in the 1998 Finals. While the margin of defeat was much tighter, there were many similarities - players out of place, not sure whether to sprint, jog, slide tackle or what. Its as if they were playing chess. The problem is the French team was technically sound, very aggressive and confident. Brazilian players just could not match that. Its as if they expected a couple of second half goals to happen simply because they are Brazil.

But France is not Ghana, Japan, Australia or Croatia. A bit stiffer competition.

So in my final analysis/expression of frustration, I'm going to side with over 50% of respondents to an online poll published in the Folha de Sao Paulo, in which they believe that the coaching staff are heavily to blame for not motivating the team adequately. Also, some substitutions were highly questionable. But in the end, players need to perform, but it would've been nice to see a coach like Portugal's (a Brazilian legend) who gets in guys' asses when the effort is not obvious. I think that the players needed a kick in the ass at halftime. They obviously did not get that.

GrandeDavid
07-02-2006, 04:42 PM
And that's not to say that getting geeked up and playing more aggressively would've changed the outcome, after all France played a superb game throughout. But still, for four years a nation will question the heart of its national team.

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I still think only one substitution of Robinho at the start of the 2nd half and Brazil wins. As soon as this guy came in, Brazil was on the attack and had he come in earlier they would have scored.

Their offense changes with a Robinho substitution. He often beats a player or two and sets up Ronaldo for goals.

I also saw it in the earlier games. I know he was a little injured but you have to go with him in the lineup especially after seeing how poorly their attack went in the first half.

WalterBenitez
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
...Spurs = River Plate for me

Holy shit :vomit:

MaNuMaNiAc
07-03-2006, 09:12 AM
Holy shit :vomit:
cuando no, un bostero habla al pedo

nkdlunch
07-03-2006, 11:07 AM
brasil deserved to lose. France showed heart. Zidane is the MVP of the tournament up to now.

rascal
07-03-2006, 11:12 AM
brasil deserved to lose. France showed heart. Zidane is the MVP of the tournament up to now.
I would say Klose is the mvp.

WalterBenitez
07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
cuando no, un bostero habla al pedo
:violin