PDA

View Full Version : Clips sign Tim Thomas

AZLouis
07-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Thomas not returning to Phoenix

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 1, 2006 02:18 PM

Suns playoff hero Tim Thomas will not return to Phoenix for next season because of a more lucrative offer with the Los Angeles Clippers, according to league sources.

The Suns traded away both first-round draft picks Wednesday in part to make a better pitch for Thomas, who is expected to accept a four-year deal starting at the mid-level exception ($5.4 million) from the Clippers.

Phoenix was offering most but not all of its mid-level exception, a move that likely would have put the Suns above the luxury tax threshold.

Thomas, 29, spent most of last season at home after Chicago asked him to leave the team. He was an early March pickup for Phoenix after a foot stress fracture sidelined Kurt Thomas. Tim Thomas averaged 11.0 points and 4.9 rebounds in 26 regular-season games for Phoenix and 15.1 points and 5.5 rebounds in 14 postseason games. He will be best remembered for extending the Suns-Lakers first-round series with a late three-pointer that put Game 6 into overtime. He hit 44.4 percent of his three-point shots in the postseason.

After Eddie House declined to pick up his playoff option Friday and Nikoloz Tskitishvili was waived, Phoenix is left with nine players under contract for next season.

This will be the fourth franchise change for Thomas, a former No. 7 overall pick in 1997, since February of 2004.

rayray2k8
07-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Im sure most sun fans are dissapointed that hes not coming back.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2006, 11:57 PM
^ You'd be surprised. I'm thrilled. James Jones was a 14-point, 5-rebound wing with better instincts and defensive skills before his injury. If he can relocate that shot of his, he'll fill the void nicely.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if the Suns are commited to spending the money, then going after a backup PG with it would be great. If not a PG, then a bulldog like Fred Jones or a wing big like Jefferies.

I'd prefer a PG, however.

AZLouis
07-02-2006, 08:24 AM
^ You'd be surprised. I'm thrilled. James Jones was a 14-point, 5-rebound wing with better instincts and defensive skills before his injury. If he can relocate that shot of his, he'll fill the void nicely.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if the Suns are commited to spending the money, then going after a backup PG with it would be great. If not a PG, then a bulldog like Fred Jones or a wing big like Jefferies.

I'd prefer a PG, however.

Agreed completely.

^^What do you mean? You have Nash and Barbosa! What else could you ask for?

Barbosa isn't a PG. He doesn't/hasn't shown the ability to run the offense from the point. He is a very capable SG who can score with the best of them however.

His decision making and passing are subpar to run an offense like the Suns'.

Hopefully Phoenix can address this and acquire a guy like Marcus Banks instead of the rumored Lindsey Hunter talks.

East Coast Babe
07-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Nash's shoes are kinda hard to fit. Finding a back up point guard for him I would think would be hard to do and still be satisfied.

Texas_Ranger
07-03-2006, 04:14 AM
I hope that he will play there good, like he played in Phoenix.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Nash's shoes are kinda hard to fit. Finding a back up point guard for him I would think would be hard to do and still be satisfied.

How about that one you drafted Sergio Rodriguez or something how's he working out?

lol.

leemajors
07-03-2006, 07:51 AM

they don't need someone to fill his shoes, they need someone to hold a lead while he's on break.