PDA

View Full Version : Jared Jeffries: Drawing Interest from Several Teams (spurs)

ducks
07-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Jared Jeffries: Drawing Interest from Several Teams

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Saturday, July 1, 2006
Update: Several teams are reportedly interested in Jeffries, including the Bulls, Rockets, 76ers, Spurs and Knicks, the Washington Post reports.

Recommendation: If Jeffries, who has averaged 6.1 points and 4.8 rebounds in 256 career games, signs an offer sheet, the Wizards would have seven days to match. Jeffries earned just under $2.8 million last season and while he isn't likely to break the bank, there may be a team out there willing to pay top dollar for a player of his defensive ability.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=rotowire-aredeffriesrawingnte&prov=rotowire&type=lgns

Leetonidas
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
And hopefully it's us. I like this guy.

Mr. Body
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
If we offer-sheet him, we may lose out on Przybilla and Claxton types during the week wait. At least it's not the 14 days anymore.

ducks
07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
that is why you sign and trade
williams + scola for him in aug

ducks
07-01-2006, 09:56 PM
haywood is not getting along with his coach either

spurs might talk nazr into going there

ducks
07-01-2006, 10:07 PM
I wonder if wiz would match a front loaded mle deal?

exstatic
07-01-2006, 11:42 PM
I wonder if wiz would match a front loaded mle deal?
You can't front load an MLE deal.

Gummi
07-02-2006, 04:14 AM
No thanks. The dude can't make a shot other then a layup. He's not a threat from 3P land nor does he have a jumper.

The one thing he has is length and that's it. And yes, he's overrated on D. Let's focus on a big man, for example Scola, Javtokas, or Przybilla.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 04:51 AM
I'd rather have Claxton.

If not him, then Jeffries.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 09:18 AM
There are two ways the Spurs land Jeffries. The first is to throw a max MLE deal at Jeffries and hope that the Wizards balk at the price. Of course, that means the Spurs end up with a less than desirable contract. The second option is far more likely and that is a sign and trade. That way the Spurs can get Jeffries at a price that makes sense.

SenorSpur
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
No thanks. The dude can't make a shot other then a layup. He's not a threat from 3P land nor does he have a jumper.

The one thing he has is length and that's it. And yes, he's overrated on D. Let's focus on a big man, for example Scola, Javtokas, or Przybilla.

Can't argue with that. Dude does have trouble scoring, which is weird for a guy that is 6-10.

I'd also much rather see the Spurs shore up the 5 spot first.

orhe
07-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Jeffries = dirk stopper (can influence dirk like bruce) and someone who can rebound
omfg GET HIM
since its looking like we get javtokas instead of pryz we now have the cash!

FromWayDowntown
07-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Jeffries = dirk stopper (can influence dirk like bruce) and someone who can rebound
omfg GET HIM
since its looking like we get javtokas instead of pryz we now have the cash!

That's laughable. Jeffries might be among the best available options for a long wing, but that doesn't really say much.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:06 PM
ESPN Insider analysis of Jared Jeffries going into the 2005-6 season:

__________________________________________________ _____
Jeffries discovered a role in his third NBA season, taking over as the Wizards' perimeter defensive stopper. Because he's 6-11 and has decent quickness, Jeffries proved a real headache for high-scoring small forwards. He also was among the Wizards' best help defenders, which is important on a team whose guards gamble so much.

The downside is that he's still a huge stretch as a starter because he's so ineffective on offense. Jeffries averaged only 10 points per 40 minutes and couldn't take advantage of all the easy opportunities that Hughes and Arenas gave him because he is such a terrible finisher. The Wizards can live with him scoring infrequently, but they need him to convert a higher percentage of his shots to justify his presence in the lineup. With the arrival of Butler and Daniels, Jeffries is likely to be pushed into a reserve role this year, and that usage is more consistent with his talents.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2006, 12:10 PM
What's the downside to this guy if he were in a spurs system??

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:11 PM
What's the downside to this guy if he were in a spurs system??

Very poor offensive player.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Very poor offensice player.
Y'know, I keep hearing this, as if enough people say it, it becomes true. His last two years, he's shot 47% and 45% from the field, and 31% and 32% from downtown. He wasn't one of their main options, but this shows that even with limited minutes and touches, he can get his shot up and in effectively.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Y'know, I keep hearing this, as if enough people say it, it becomes true. His last two years, he's shot 47% and 45% from the field, and 31% and 32% from downtown. He wasn't one of their main options, but this shows that even with limited minutes and touches, he can get his shot up and in effectively.

10 points per 40 minutes sucks big time read the ESPN insider analysis above you^^. That's what offense is about scoring points 10 per 40 in a run n' gun system really sucks. Read Report^^^.

T Park
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
10 points per 40 minutes

He plays with Gilbert Arenas and Antwan Jamison.

You tell me how you can get more than 5 shots a game after those two are done jackin up shots....

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:28 PM
10 points per 40 minutes sucks big time read the ESPN insider analysis above you^^. That's what offense is about scoring points 10 per 40 in a run n' gun system really sucks. Read Report^^^.
10 per 40 as Washington's 6th option sucks? That's what he was. He's not fucking LeBron, nor do we need him to be. We've got the bulk scoring covered with Tim, Tony, and Manu. He just needs to keep the defense honest, and I'd say 45-47 FG% will do that. The Spurs need a guy who can defend, and score effectively in limited touches.

Oh, and ESPN knows as much about bball as they do abour quantum physics: nothing. ESPN is quite possibly the worst bbal reference on the net.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Very poor is probably a poor choice of words.

His offense is limited, much like a Bowen...he's a little more skilled than a Bowen though and can dunk around the rim obviously...dudes 6'11.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm not going to argue with you guys read the report and look at his pitiful stats http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3609 quit making excuses for the guy.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd say he's a LOT more skilled than Bowen, offensively. His long ball isn't there yet, but then again, we have one of the premier shooting coaches in the game on our bench.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm not going to argue with you guys read the report and look at his pitiful stats http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3609 quit making excuses for the guy.
I don't need to make excuses for a talented, coachable player. Thanks for bowing out.

T Park
07-02-2006, 12:35 PM
we have one of the premier shooting coaches in the game on our bench.

Spot on.

Thats the reaction I always have when people say about a guy "Hes a poor shooter"

This guy can fix a player's shot enought o where its decent to good.

I mean, look at Tony Parker's mid range jumper now.

MILES ahead of where it used to be.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't need to make excuses for a talented, coachable player. Thanks for bowing out.

Bill Parcells has a saying "you are what you are" like when people say we could have won this game or that game he says "You are what you are folks and that is a 6-10 Ballclub" well Jeffries is what he is a 6.1 career ppg scorer. Bowen is deadly from the corners so you have to guard him. Jeffries on "O" is like going 4 on 5. Maybe you didn't read this ESPN Insider analysis the first time:

Jeffries discovered a role in his third NBA season, taking over as the Wizards' perimeter defensive stopper. Because he's 6-11 and has decent quickness, Jeffries proved a real headache for high-scoring small forwards. He also was among the Wizards' best help defenders, which is important on a team whose guards gamble so much.

The downside is that he's still a huge stretch as a starter because he's so ineffective on offense. Jeffries averaged only 10 points per 40 minutes and couldn't take advantage of all the easy opportunities that Hughes and Arenas gave him because he is such a terrible finisher. The Wizards can live with him scoring infrequently, but they need him to convert a higher percentage of his shots to justify his presence in the lineup. With the arrival of Butler and Daniels, Jeffries is likely to be pushed into a reserve role this year, and that usage is more consistent with his talents.

T Park
07-02-2006, 12:46 PM
They said the same things about Bowen when he first came to SA too you know quad.....

But go ahead and find another long small forward out there that can play good D and is fit for the Spurs system like Jeffries.

Waiting for names.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
if this guy is a long small forward we should make him our top priority god damit

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Bill Parcells has a saying "you are what you are" like when people say we could have won this game or that game he says "You are what you are folks and that is a 6-10 Ballclub" well Jeffries is what he is a 6.1 career ppg scorer. Bowen is deadly from the corners so you have to guard him. Jeffries on "O" is like going 4 on 5. Maybe you didn't read this ESPN Insider analysis the first time:

I thought you weren't going to argue with us anymore. Don't you have an appointment to masturbate over ESPN's know-nothing basketball site?

Please explain:

Tony Parker 2004-2005 to Tony Parker 2005-2006
Boris Diaw 2004-2005 to Boris Diaw 2005-2006

Ariel
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
If Jeffries were a good enough offensive player to ease all of your concerns, he wouldn't be attainable by the MLE, but likely command twice as much only to be matched by the Wizards.

No realistic option will come without flaws. Considering this year's FA class, I'd say he's a chance the Spurs would be lucky to take.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I thought you weren't going to argue with us anymore. Don't you have an appointment to masturbate over ESPN's know-nothing basketball site?

Yeah I know, sorry now I'm done. I fell victim for your snide 3rd grade level comments. Mature comeback though^^.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 12:58 PM
If Jeffries were a good enough offensive player to ease all of your concerns, he wouldn't be attainable by the MLE, but likely command twice as much only to be matched by the Wizards.

No realistic option will come without flaws. Considering this year's FA class, I'd say he's a chance the Spurs would be lucky to take.

That's all I was saying, very poor offensive player. I'd rather we go for someone else. Someone asked his weaknesses I answered him.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:58 PM

EXACTLY. When you have the MCE to offer, you have to settle for less than perfect, and look for future untapped possibilites.

It's not like we're used to get\ting scoring in bunches from our 3 spot right now...

exstatic
07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
That's all I was saying.
No you weren't. You said he was an option we should NOT consider.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 01:00 PM
What's the value of a player who allows you to defend teams with perimeter oriented bigs? If a player scores 15 a night but allows 25, well, that's not that great.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I never said that (although that is what I think) somebody asked me about his weaknesses I said he was very poor offensively (which is a fact) and you and TPark threw a hissy fit. So I responded.

Horry For 3!
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I'd say he's a LOT more skilled than Bowen, offensively. His long ball isn't there yet, but then again, we have one of the premier shooting coaches in the game on our bench.
I was about to say that but you already said it. He is better than Bowen offensively. His D is pretty good yet can improve.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Newsflash: Robert Horry's career average is 7.4 points. Low scoring players CAN contribute.

T Park
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
and you and TPark threw a hissy fit. So I responded.

First off I didn't throw a "hissy fit"

Quit your pouting.

Second, I reacted because you don't want this guy WHATSOEVER.

BAD defensively.

I brought up Bowen being the same way when HE first came to SA, and having England the shooting coach would help out a million with his shot, wich isn't THAT bad.

Yet you still cross your arms frown and bring up hissy fits and say NIET to freakin Jeffries just cause hes not a great offensive player.

Once again,

name the long 3's that are available, that you would like the Spurs to sign?

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 01:39 PM
BAD defensively.

Never said that.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 01:49 PM
name the long 3's that are available, that you would like the Spurs to sign?
Tim Thomas: scratch
Radmanovic: scratch

Anyone else in the 6'10" neighborhood available?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2006, 02:49 PM
buford, you better get this guy

i think he's our best hope

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Problem is, Jeffries isn't worth $30 mil over 5 years. He may just get that this summer.

Nikos
07-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Problem is, Jeffries isn't worth $30 mil over 5 years. He may just get that this summer.

Is their a site that has a list of player salaries, not by team, but a list with the entire league?

Bruno
07-02-2006, 03:50 PM

Amen to that : Jumaine Jones for $10M/3 years >>> Jeffries for $30M/5 years

SlovenianGuy
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Sixers Contact Jared Jeffries
2nd July, 2006 - 8:53 am

Allentown Morning Call - Sixers GM Billy King put in a call to the agent of Washington forward Jared Jeffries, a restricted free agent who has received a $2.776-million qualifying offer from the Wizards, according to the Allentown Morning Call.

Because of cap considerations, Jeffries would have to be acquired via a sign-and-trade deal.

link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/41249/20060702/sixers_contact_jared_jeffries/)

exstatic
07-02-2006, 03:59 PM
I like Jones, but he's a couple inches short of the "long" category and a couple of years older than Jeffries.
As far as discount SFs go, my preferences would be:
1a) Jeffries
1b) Jones
2) George
3) others

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
I like Jones, but he's a couple inches short of the "long" category and a couple of years older than Jeffries.
As far as discount SFs go, my preferences would be:
1a) Jeffries
1b) Jones
2) George
3) others
I know the pickings aren't the best, but I've never been all that impressed with Devean George. Is there something you like about his game, or is this just a "something is better than nothing" thing?

exstatic
07-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, I think George is better than Harpring. He can shoot, and 4 rebs/20 mins is pretty good. Like I said, he's my third choice.

I'm not in love with any of these guys games.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Devin George can shoot those spot up threes if that's the george yall are talking about.

Although I hate him with a passion, I admit he would fit in good with us.

El_Mago
07-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Jared Jeffries is the guy I had hoped the Spurs would pick up from the very get go. I defended him to no end frankly because I believe he is the ideal fit as of right now.

Now, would the Spurs want a lengthy wing who could score, defend, rebound, etc? What team would not......but right now, that player is not out there in free agency....and we probably would not be able to afford him anyways, so people need to stop dreaming.

What Jeffries is though, is a 6-10 or 6-11 player that is versatile enough to guard big SG's, SF's, and a majority of PF's in the NBA. He is still fairly young, atheltic, quick, hustles, coachable, no off court problems, and still has potential to improve.

Is he an inconsistent scorer? Yes. But, do the Spurs really need more scoring? Personally, I don't think so. We have the big three to carry the load on scoring, as well as other players who chip in and there with points....

I want Jared here because we have a very unselfish team as a whole. We have a Super Star in Tim Duncan who makes almost anyone look better. We have stars in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili who are unselfish and can also make this young man better. We have a great coaching staff that will work with him.

The environment here in San Antonio is totally different than in Washington. I look back to Boris Diaw in Atlanta. The kid could barely get off the Hawks bench....what he was best known for was his defense. He was considered to have zilch offense and too passive. He leaves the Hawks for an unselfish team in the Suns, with a Super Star that makes others better, and a coaching staff that knows how to utilize him, and he turns into a player that can give you a triple-double on any given night.

Would I overpay for Jeffries? Yes, thats the only way I'm snatching him away from Washington. In this game, sometimes you have to pull the trigger and just go with your gut....and I believe in this kid and our system, and feel that he can break out and be more than just a long wing that can play defense.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
Maybe you do a sign and trade with the Wizards and get Jeffries for a sensible price.

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 05:58 PM

Arenas never passes the ball, maybe Jeffries didn't take advantage of arenas' misses by not getting a rebound.

Butler and Daniels came over last season, Jeffries beat them out because he's a hard worker and plays solid D. He's not a good shooter but we have plenty of those already, we need a guy who'll dive for the loose ball, hustle back on transition defense to contest and block shots, and guard guys in our division like peja, dirk, gasol, and tmac. He's a prince type player before prince came into his own offensively, why wouldn't we want that?

El_Mago
07-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Marcus, I would prefer that, but I don't see that happening.

Thomas and Haywood already have big contracts, and the Wiz are going to have a hard time moving them, just so they can make room for another big contract in Nazr's.

Barry? I don't see why they would want him....and they seem okay already at the SG and SF position.

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Is he an inconsistent scorer? Yes. But, do the Spurs really need more scoring? Personally, I don't think so. We have the big three to carry the load on scoring, as well as other players who chip in and there with points....

I want Jared here because we have a very unselfish team as a whole. We have a Super Star in Tim Duncan who makes almost anyone look better. We have stars in Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili who are unselfish and can also make this young man better. We have a great coaching staff that will work with him.

The environment here in San Antonio is totally different than in Washington. I look back to Boris Diaw in Atlanta. The kid could barely get off the Hawks bench....what he was best known for was his defense. He was considered to have zilch offense and too passive. He leaves the Hawks for an unselfish team in the Suns, with a Super Star that makes others better, and a coaching staff that knows how to utilize him, and he turns into a player that can give you a triple-double on any given night.

Would I overpay for Jeffries? Yes, thats the only way I'm snatching him away from Washington. In this game, sometimes you have to pull the trigger and just go with your gut....and I believe in this kid and our system, and feel that he can break out and be more than just a long wing that can play defense.
I'm not particularly for or against getting Jeffries given what's available, but I think this line of reasoning is crazy.

Yeah, Diaw had a breakout year when he went to Phoenix, but there aren't a whole lot of Diaws in the world. We signed Brent Barry off a lousy Phoenix team, and his stats dropped precipitously. We signed Rasho off of Minnesota and his stats went down. For every example of a player who blossomed when he went to a new team, there's another example where a team convinced themselves that a player from another team was going to blow up when they signed him, only to be sitting on a bad contract a year later after they realize that no magic had happened.

From what I can tell, Jeffries is effective offensively in two spots on the floor: inside and on the perimeter. Going by stats, his midrange jumper seems to be worse than his so-so 3 point shot. When he comes to the Spurs, he may get more open 3s on the perimeter, but he's likely to get fewer open baskets inside, which is where most of his points come from now. Maybe that adds up to a net positive, but maybe it doesn't.

Would I overpay for Jeffries? Hell no. Intentionally overpaying is rarely ever a good idea. It's hard enough trying to build a roster with moves that you think are good ones at the time, because there are a lot of risks in any move. When you start making desperate moves just for the sake of making a move, that's when things really have a knack for blowing up in your face.

Either we get him for what he's worth or we should pass.

Mr. Body
07-02-2006, 06:10 PM
It's strange. Out of college (Indiana), I would have projected Jeffries as more of an offensive player. A good shooter who developed a mid-range game, tall enough to get shots over most defenders. I knew he'd have trouble taking the ball inside and slashing, as skinny as he was.

Kudos to him, at least, for finding a way to stick in the league. Defending your ass off isn't the most obviously beneficial option for young players, but he got there.

El_Mago
07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm not particularly for or against getting Jeffries given what's available, but I think this line of reasoning is crazy.

Yeah, Diaw had a breakout year when he went to Phoenix, but there aren't a whole lot of Diaws in the world. We signed Brent Barry off a lousy Phoenix team, and his stats dropped precipitously. We signed Rasho off of Minnesota and his stats went down. For every example of a player who blossomed when he went to a new team, there's another example where a team convinced themselves that a player from another team was going to blow up when they signed him, only to be sitting on a bad contract a year later after they realize that no magic had happened.

From what I can tell, Jeffries is effective offensively in two spots on the floor: inside and on the perimeter. Going by stats, his midrange jumper seems to be worse than his so-so 3 point shot. When he comes to the Spurs, he may get more open 3s on the perimeter, but he's likely to get fewer open baskets inside, which is where most of his points come from now. Maybe that adds up to a net positive, but maybe it doesn't.

Would I overpay for Jeffries? Hell no. Intentionally overpaying is rarely ever a good idea. It's hard enough trying to build a roster with moves that you think are good ones at the time, because there are a lot of risks in any move. When you start making desperate moves just for the sake of making a move, that's when things really have a knack for blowing up in your face.

Either we get him for what he's worth or we should pass.

Alright, first off we got Brent Barry for Seattle.

Next, you talk about getting Brent Barry and Rasho Nesterovic, and how they didn't blossom here. Well, the way I would look at that is that we already knew what Barry and Rasho were all about....they had no untapped potenital. Barry had already bounced around the league, and Rasho Nesterovic had already started, played along a great player in KG, and was not going to get any better....he was what he was.

Jeffries on the other hand has the physcial tools to get better, and is still really young and raw. He suffered a serious injury early on in his career, and after that....he's been getting minutes here and there, or starting on occassions because of other players injuries. He has not gotten the opportunity that he has hoped for.

Finally, I don't even know how well you know Jeffries game. He is not perimeter oriented, nor is he even effective from there. Can he make a 3? Sure. But, thats not his game, and Pop is not going to allow him to even shoot it. Jeffries would score he by doing what he does best....finishing off what the guards dish out to him in the paint, cut in the lanes, dunks, and possibly a short jump shot game if he can become consistent there.

Who knows...maybe he does have a 3pt game, but he sure has not displayed it in his career yet....and he for sure is not effective from there.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 06:50 PM

Next, you talk about getting Brent Barry and Rasho Nesterovic, and how they didn't blossom here. Well, the way I would look at that is that we already knew what Barry and Rasho were all about....they had no untapped potenital. Barry had already bounced around the league, and Rasho Nesterovic had already started, played along a great player in KG, and was not going to get any better....he was what he was.

Jeffries on the other hand has the physcial tools to get better, and is still really young and raw. He suffered a serious injury early on in his career, and after that....he's been getting minutes here and there, or starting on occassions because of other players injuries. He has not gotten the opportunity that he has hoped for.

Finally, I don't even know how well you know Jeffries game. He is not perimeter oriented, nor is he even effective from there. Can he make a 3? Sure. But, thats not his game, and Pop is not going to allow him to even shoot it. Jeffries would score he by doing what he does best....finishing off what the guards dish out to him in the paint, cut in the lanes, dunks, and possibly a short jump shot game if he can become consistent there.

Who knows...maybe he does have a 3pt game, but he sure has not displayed it in his career yet....and he for sure is not effective from there.

That's all true except he's 24, has shown 0% improvement in his offensive game in his 4 years in the league, can't hit a three, and is an absolutely terrible finisher (read the other posts before you post. ESPN Insider scouting report, plus the link to his stats^^.).

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Marcus, I would prefer that, but I don't see that happening.

Thomas and Haywood already have big contracts, and the Wiz are going to have a hard time moving them, just so they can make room for another big contract in Nazr's.

Barry? I don't see why they would want him....and they seem okay already at the SG and SF position.

Other players on big contracts sounds like a good reason to not give one to Jeffries. The Spurs could send a nice veteran shooter the Wizards' way (Barry) or they could send them a nice young point (Udrih).

timvp
07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
The Wizards are said to be matching any offers up to the MLE. If that is the case, it's time to end this courtship. JJeff isn't that good to begin with ... especially for > MLE.

Mr. Body
07-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Tying up MLE money for 7 days is murder with this fast-flying FA class. Can't take that risk.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 07:12 PM
The Wizards are said to be matching any offers up to the MLE. If that is the case, it's time to end this courtship. JJeff isn't that good to begin with ... especially for > MLE.

Pass.

ChumpDumper
I think that's a bluff. They are loaded with SFs and have a Jeffries clone in the D-League.

If they're trying to get rid of Haywood, that opens many possibilities.

exstatic
Well, if there's one thing that DOES improve about players who come here, it's normally their 3 point shooting. DA was a career 29% shooter from 3, and he shot 40% his first (and only) year in SA.

Barry was a whopping 10 point scorer in SEA. He might actually score that here if he would SHOOT once in a while.

timvp
07-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Jeffries for his career is about a 25% shooter on anything outside of the paint. That's just disgusting.

How he'd fit on the Spurs I'd never know.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Jeffries for his career is about a 25% shooter on anything outside of the paint. That's just disgusting.

How he'd fit on the Spurs I'd never know.

He's 30% from outside the arc, career. How bad could his 18 footer be?

Mr. Body
07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
At IU he was pretty money from outside. What the hell happened?

timvp
07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
He's 30% from outside the arc, career. How bad could his 18 footer be?

Bad.

This season, any shot outside the paint he shot 30%. Last season it was 26%. The year before that it was 20%. In the playoffs this year he shot 19% on anything outside of the paint.

Unless the Spurs want to sign a top five worst perimeter shooting swingman in the league and spend most of the MLE on him, I'd seriously consider going elsewhere.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, it doesn't look like SA is after him, anyway. Any word on Jumaine?

T Park
07-02-2006, 07:44 PM
People forget that we have a decent shooting coach?

Yeah pass on that long small forward :rolleyes

timvp
07-02-2006, 07:49 PM
People forget that we have a decent shooting coach?

Yeah pass on that long small forward :rolleyes

:lol

What exactly has this magical shooting coach done? Tony shot better but once upon a time he could hit threes pretty regularly, so it's not like Chip taught TP from scratch. What else has he done?

Big P
07-02-2006, 08:00 PM
The Suns are looking at Jumaine Jones, now that TT is with the Clipps.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
:lol

What exactly has this magical shooting coach done? Tony shot better but once upon a time he could hit threes pretty regularly, so it's not like Chip taught TP from scratch. What else has he done?

His shot doesn't make me gag now. It looks semi-notfugly.

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Oops. I did actually know that -- I don't know what the hell happened when I was typing. :oops

And yet Rasho's and Barry's stats didn't merely fail to improve, they got noticeably worse.

He's had four seasons in the league -- if he's still that raw, there's no guarantee the light's going to suddenly go on. And he started 77 games this year, so it's not like he hasn't gotten chances.

Look -- for all I know, this guy could suddenly start dropping 30, 15, and 10 next year. But I do know that if you go around making offers based on what a guy might conceivably do, you're going to end up with some horrible salaries on your books. Study Cuban's first few years in Dallas for examples.

He shot 32% from 3 -- that's not great, but it's not completely hopeless. If you don't think he's going to shoot 3s more effectively, I really don't understand why you're pimping him.

Yeah, he has an decent inside game. Or he does in Washington, where they have a lineup full of dangerous perimeter players that create some room to work in the paint. In San Antonio, he'll be playing next to Duncan, who works in the paint. He'll be playing with two starting guards who are most dangerous driving to the basket. If you think there's going to be a lot of room inside for him to consistently receive the ball 4 feet from the basket and score, I think you're deeply mistaken.

T Park
07-02-2006, 08:52 PM

You don't think Parker is shooting more consistently now that England is on board???

Hes fixed Duncan's FTs to a degree. Look at the percentage in the playoffs...

timvp
07-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Hes fixed Duncan's FTs to a degree.

67% last year to 62% this year.

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 09:26 PM
fuck a long 3 let's just play Finley at PF and Tim at center, i like that idea alot.

orhe
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
i watched the wizards-cleveland series and i thought he did a pretty good job on D :) as far as i remember...

he has the size to bother Dirk and the speed... (dirk ain't all that fast) that's why i want him on the team...

PLUS he can rebound the ball better than bruce... he'll be able to box out Dirk and get the rebound something the spurs didn't do (bruce was boxing out but dirk just hawks the ball on top). im telling you if we ever meet the mavs again in the playoffs his presence would really help!

CaptainLate
07-03-2006, 11:02 AM
10 points per 40 minutes sucks big time read the ESPN insider analysis above you^^.

What is Bowen's per 40 minutes? With the starters and other shooters we have, we don't need another 10pts/game.

We need a young perimeter defender to replace an aging veteran who has maybe 1-2 good years left. And transitioning from a 6'7" perimeter defender to a 6'11 one would be huge.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
That's all I was saying, very poor offensive player. I'd rather we go for someone else. Someone asked his weaknesses I answered him.

Sorry I'm late to the party on this discussion, but come on... Stephen Jackson averaged 2 points per game before he came to the Spurs, and he was our third scorer for that title run.

Just admit you don't know anything about hoops other than you can copy and paste from ESPN and move on.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Not only did SJax average 2 points per game but his first season here between him and Charles Smith, SJax was the lesser player. He really blossomed here...

ducks
07-05-2006, 01:48 AM
timvp is he better then nothing?

timvp
07-05-2006, 02:17 AM
timvp is he better then nothing?

I guess so.

Though Nothing could probably shoot better.

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2006, 02:23 AM
we should just throw the whole MLE at him, and if wiz re-signs him at a higher price, then good for them, bad for us we didnt sign him, but good in another way forcin the wiz overpay a player.

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party on this discussion, but come on... Stephen Jackson averaged 2 points per game before he came to the Spurs, and he was our third scorer for that title run.

Just admit you don't know anything about hoops other than you can copy and paste from ESPN and move on.

I've been through this already on this thread and others. Bowen is a deadly shooter from the corners so you can't leave him completely unguarded and he doesn't force you to go 4 on 5 on offense. Besides he is an all time great defender not a decent one. Jackson didn't have much playing time before he got to SA unlike Jeffries who has proven with plenty of pt that he is a complete scrub. He has no impressive offensive or defensive stats whatsoever none, zero, zip, zilch, nada name one stat that stands out. He can't shoot free throws either. I am done with this because he isn't coming here so I really don't care. I don't get worked up about every scrub in the league just the ones on the Spurs. If I thought he was really going to come here then I'd be pissed, but now I don't care. Aggie if you want to take your problems with me over to the troll forum I'd be happy to do it.

earlier thread with a post about the myth of Jeffries "Great" defense:
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42581&page=2&pp=26

CLICK HERE^^^

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2006, 04:15 AM
Jeffries avg.10 points per 40 minutes because of a man named Gilbert Arenas, Antwain Jamison, and Caron Butler chucking up 47 shots per game. Don't forget Antonio Daniels and Jarvis Hayes.Jeffries shot a modest 5 shots per game last year. Shooting the ball was not Jeffries role.

Supergirl
07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Jeffries looks like the kind of guy who could really excel in the Spurs system - he doesn't NEED to be an offensive threat or make anything other than layups, but he does need to be a good defender and a good rebounder. If he could come cheaply (ie without giving up Barry or Finley - Beno or Oberto are expendable at this point) than he could be a good pick up.

Slinkyman
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Good news: Jul 6 - The Orlando Sentinel reports the Washington Wizards have emerged among three suitors as perhaps the front-runner for DeShawn Stevenson. Rob Pelinka, Stevenson's agent, told the newspaper Wednesday that three teams other than the Magic are in the hunt, and two have made offers.

Hopefully this means the Wiz are unlikely to match an offer for Jeffries because signing Stevenson would put them very close to the luxary tax threshold.

coopdogg3
07-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Well I think it should be said that Bowen DEVELOPED an effective offensive game. When he first started playing here, he was a non-factor on the offensive end. Now maybe he just needed a chance, or maybe he needed an offensive scheme that fit his style of play. When all you have is the MLE, you are going to get flawed players. Jeffries, IMO, has the tools to be an effective player in the Spurs system. But he is far from perfect, which is why we have a shot at landing him in the first place.

SenorSpur
07-06-2006, 11:55 AM
One of the glaring weaknesses that was exposed during the WCSF series versus the Mavs was the Spurs' lack of athleticism and quickness on the perimeter. While Bowen did a good job of guarding Dirk, he is at a disadvantage guarding him in the post.

Meanwhile, Terry, Harris and others got by Spurs defenders semmingly at will. When another Mavs player got hot offensively, Pop often resorted to switching Bowen off Dirk to go and guard the "hot Mav de jour". With no shot-blocking presence to protect the paint, this deficiency became more glaring.

It becomes clear that Bowen, while still a premier all-NBA defender, he cannot guard every offensive threat on the floor. He needs help - a lot of help.

After the season ended, Pop stated his intention of acquiring, in his words, a "Derrick McKey-type" player. A player of length around 6-9 or 6-10 that can rebound, run and is a versatile defender.

It sounds like Jared Jeffries may fit this bill. As has already been stated, we don't need a lot of offense from the guy. If he can bring some rebounding, toughness and defense (while matching up with Dirk), it will allow Bowen to focus his efforts on his usual superior defense on the many athletic swingmen in the league.

Supergirl
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
It becomes clear that Bowen, while still a premier all-NBA defender, he cannot guard every offensive threat on the floor.

I have often thought this while watching Spurs games. No really - the thought often enters my mind - why the hell can't we clone Bowen and have two of him on the floor at one time?

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
If so many teams are after Jeffries, the Spurs should go after Jumaine Jones if they want a backup 3. He's shorter (6'8) but can do some things that Jeffries can't do, and it doesn't seem like he's drawing that much interest.

SenorSpur
07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
If so many teams are after Jeffries, the Spurs should go after Jumaine Jones if they want a backup 3. He's shorter (6'8) but can do some things that Jeffries can't do, and it doesn't seem like he's drawing that much interest.

Good option. Any word on whether Jones in drawing any interest at all?

MoSpur
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
I like this option too. The Spurs need about two good role players. He would be one.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Good option. Any word on whether Jones in drawing any interest at all?

Awhile back, I read Phoenix was interested. I haven't read up on him lately.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Jeffries, Wizards reach impasse on deal
By John N. Mitchell
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
July 7, 2006

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060706-115734-4704r.htm

Negotiations between the Washington Wizards and restricted free agent Jared Jeffries have reached an impasse and no new negotiations are scheduled, according to Jeffries' agent.

"I would characterize the talks as both sides making an effort, but as of today it looks as if those efforts have been futile," agent Andy Miller said yesterday.

'We have spoken frequently. Jared likes Washington and the role that he has carved out there. The problem is because he is selfless and sacrifices for everyone on the team and does the intangibles, it's unfortunate but the role seems to be one not as valued as much as he would like."

Jeffries' worth to the team is the apparent sticking point. The Wizards' position appears to be that while Jeffries played an important role -- one in which he started 77 games and averaged 6.4 points and 4.9 rebounds -- they have no intentions of overpaying him. As a restricted free agent the Wizards can match any offer Jeffries receives.

The Wizards, at least for now, don't appear to be interested in doing a sign-and-trade, despite that fact that Philadelphia and Phoenix are believed to have approached the Wizards, who already have tendered Jeffries the required one-year qualifying offer.

Miller's position is that Jeffries' value to the Wizards is higher than what it is for other teams because he knows the system well. The 6-foot-11 Jeffries played all five positions last season.

"He wants to do something that he will be happy with over the next five years," Miller said.

In another development, the Orlando Sentinel reported that the Wizards have become the front runner for Magic shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson, who started all 82 games for the Magic last season.

Stevenson opted out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent. Stevenson is seeking more than the $3 million he was scheduled to make this season.

The Sentinel reported that Stevenson is looking to earn $4.5 million this season in the first year of what the player would like to be a four- or five-year contract. Stevenson averaged 11.0 points and 2.9 rebounds a game last season.

timvp
07-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Barry for Jeffries?

Nah ... it doesn't really make sense for the Wizards. With the ballhogs on that team, Barry would average like 1 point per 48 minutes. :lol

timvp
07-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Perhaps throwing in Scola will make them ponder the deal. They went with two Euros in the draft ... even though both of them are staying overseas. Give them Scola and then they can have three Euro prospects to pick from next year.

Longshot but who knows . . .

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Still no update on this?

That's just dandy.

T Park
07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
With the ballhogs on that team, Barry would average like 1 point per 48 minutes

Only because the puss doesn't like the pressure of shooting....

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Still no update on this?

That's just dandy.

What?

I just posted a brand new article about him.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:47 AM
I just saw it. :D Sorry, I just saw the last 2-3 posts by Timvp and GIG.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:48 AM
So if they're at a impass...I wonder how much the kid's asking for?

Maybe the Wiz are just lowballing him?

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I have been proclaiming Jeffries from the start.....a lot of people seem to bash him, but he's been my boy from the get go.

Washington won't overpay.....but at the same time I don't want to throw him the whole MLE, but thats probably what it will take to nab him away from Washington.

If push comes to shove.....let's play the small ball role....and give him the MLE.

C: Duncan, Javtokas, Oberto
PF:Jeffries, Bonner, Horry
SF: Bowen, Finley
SG:Ginobili, Barry
PG:Parker, Udrih

IR:Marks, Sanders, and 3rd PG

Damn, our SG and SF position need some youth bad....we're getting old...

timvp
07-07-2006, 12:55 AM
Washington would match a full MLE offer. That's why they won't offer much more than that. Why offer more when $30M is the max he'll get on the open market?

Smart.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:56 AM
I doubt Jeffries starts at 4.

But bring him off the bench for this year, maybe next...as long as Bowen is around. He'll still play a lot of minutes, but once Bowen is gone you can slide him into the starting lineup.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-07-2006, 12:57 AM
Washington would match a full MLE offer. That's why they won't offer much more than that. Why offer more when $30M is the max he'll get on the open market?

Smart.

Is that what Washington offered?

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 01:11 AM

Smart.

What makes you so sure Washington would match the MLE? All they have offered so far is a contract starting at 2.7 million....and they are at a stand still right now in negotiations....and Washington has already stated they don't plan on over paying.

So, the Spurs should just offer him the full MLE, since they know half the MLE won't cut it.....then see if Washington really pulls the trigger.....I say no because if they really wanted him as bad as they claim....they would have found a way to sign him already and not needed a team like SA to push them against the wall.....and of course, they already have a handful of players on lengthy deals.....

shaggy17
07-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Spurs/Holt overpaying for a player like Jefferies? :lmao :flypig

timvp
07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Another thing to remember is the Spurs would only offer a four-year MLE deal because the Spurs are saving money for 2010-11.

Seriously.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I understand that the Spurs will nearly have around 30 million come off the books come around 2010.

Maybe Jeffries wouldn't mind a 4 year deal worth 20 million....

Rajah Bell got 24 million and 5 years last year.....

But, like I said, what makes you so sure that Washington would still even match a 20 million, 4 year offer?

They already have ton's of money that does not seem like it could be moved this summer and they have only offered him 2.7 million thus far, and are still at a stand still....maybe even 20 million over 4 years would be too much for them....but, who knows.

SenorSpur
07-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Another thing to remember is the Spurs would only offer a four-year MLE deal because the Spurs are saving money for 2010-11.

Seriously.

I understand the Spurs desire to offer only a 4-year MLE, however I would hope they wouldn't allow the number of years to stall negotiations.

Players in their last contractual years are viewed as valuable trading chips in the open market.

That said, if the Spurs view this guy as a prime FA acquisition, they can still offer him a 5-yr MLE and simply trade him at the conclusion of the fourth year.

I understand this was a sticking point in the Pryzbilla negotiations. If this kid wants to come here, I trust the same thing won't happen again.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Ideally, that idea would work, Senor.

But, we all know it's not super easy to move a player.....just like we struggled to move Rasho's deal these past few summers and trade deadlines.

However, I'm with you....the Spurs should still pull the trigger.....I love this kid's game...although, some people don't feel the same.....it's all good.

shaggy17
07-07-2006, 01:46 AM
They will let it happen again because their picky on this shit! Its gonna be so much fun to watch our fucking mangement piss away the remaining years of Duncan,Parker,Ginobili trio :depressed :flipoff Holt and everyone in that front office fucking things up!

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I mean, if the whole 2010 deal is that big of a fucking deal....

Then what? Should we not expect the Spurs to sign any quality players for the next few years...to deals that exceed 2010.....only up and coming players, who would even think about signing 1 or 2 year deals....

That would mean, that any established player seeking a long term deal wanting to come here shouldn't even bother...because the spurs have no intentions of signing any contracts past 2010.....until that time comes....

Fuck out of here....

T Park
07-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Link to where it says the Spurs are saving money for 2010?

SenorSpur
07-07-2006, 02:04 AM
They will let it happen again because their picky on this shit! Its gonna be so much fun to watch our fucking mangement piss away the remaining years of Duncan,Parker,Ginobili trio :depressed :flipoff Holt and everyone in that front office fucking things up!

That's exactly the point that scares me too Shaggy. TD is not only one of the best Spurs of all-time, he's arguably the best PF of all-time. The Spurs never won a championship until he arrived and may never sniff the finals again after he retires.

As such, they should be doing everything possible to ensure the club has the right mix of players needed to make that annual run. With the way the NBA is now, clubs have to improve every year. Of course, this also means being smart and making good decisions with salaries.

Pop said it himself. He wanted to target a "Derrick McKey-type" player during the offseason. Well, this guy seems to fit that mold. The fact that he can defend all five spots makes him sort of a Boris Diaw-type of player.

If Pop has "sold his soul" to the new NBA, "small-ball", philosophy - then GO GET THIS GUY. If he and RC feel this guy can contribute towards the goal of winning a championship - GO GET THIS GUY. To hell with 2011.

T Park
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Waiting for that link that says they are saving for 2010.

timvp
07-07-2006, 02:11 AM

There's no link to reading between the lines. Go read Ludden the last week and figure it out.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 02:14 AM
Nazr's extension offer (last year) would have only taken him through 09-10. Przybilla, they wouldn't offer the 5th year -- only through 09-10. So obviously, they are looking to do something in 2010. I'm not sure if it will prohibit them from offering any five year deals this summer -- we'll see. But it's obvious that they aren't eager to spend any money for that year (after Ginobili and Duncan's contracts are up).

T Park
07-07-2006, 02:18 AM
There's no link to reading between the lines.

:lmao

good god...

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 02:18 AM
:lmao

good god...

I just explained it to you. I don't think it's that funny. *shrug*

T Park
07-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I think its hilarious the "read between the lines"

I think its hilarious to just totally draw conclusions from one article.....

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 02:21 AM
I think its hilarious the "read between the lines"

I think its hilarious to just totally draw conclusions from one article.....

Not one article. Nazr's extension offer. Przybilla's extension offer. It's a pattern so far of only offering 4 years. We'll see if they offer anyone five. It's logical that they are planning on doing "something" when Duncan/Manu's contracts are out. They probably would like to sign a big name free agent next to Tony.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 02:26 AM

Spurs are tight as hell with their money.....in 2010 nearly 30 million come off the books when Tim and Manu become free agents....

By that time, Spurs could make a power play to give Tony Parker a buddy SuperStar...

To some it was common salary logic (especially when it comes to this team)...to other's it obviously was not

Like Timvp said, it had to be read between the lines...

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Ditto Kori....we were thinking the same thing.

SenorSpur
07-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Spurs are tight as hell with their money.....in 2010 nearly 30 million come off the books when Tim and Manu become free agents....

By that time, Spurs could make a power play to give Tony Parker a buddy SuperStar...

To some it was common salary logic (especially when it comes to this team)...to other's it obviously was not

Like Timvp said, it had to be read between the lines...

I'm starting to understand why so many in this forum have habitually bitched about Holt being a tight ass. Perhaps this is also one of the reasons they've fallen so much in love with foreign players - they can stash them away for a couple of years, then pay them peanuts.

Kori Ellis
07-07-2006, 02:54 AM
I actually don't think it's being cheap to worry about the money situation in 2010. They want to be perpetual contenders and the only way to do that when Tim and Manu are done is to sign a big player or two.

That being said, I really think that if a player they REALLY wanted needed a 5year/MLE contract this summer they'd do it. They just haven't liked anyone enough .. yet.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm starting to understand why so many in this forum have habitually bitched about Holt being a tight ass. Perhaps this is also one of the reasons they've fallen so much in love with foreign players - they can stash them away for a couple of years, then pay them peanuts.

Well, thats one of the reasons why the Spurs have tried so hard to trade out of the first round this past couple of seasons.....they don't like to pay guaranteed money.

Also, with second round picks....you usually adjust their pay to whatever you like....and with most Euro's all they end up getting is around 1.5 million....like Ginobili did...and what Javtokas willl end up getting....which is not bad deals in favor of the Spurs. And even at that, once those deals expire...they still manage to get bargains...ala....Manu....52 or 54 Million...over 6 years I think....not bad at all.

Spurs are a really cheap team, but then again, we don't have an owner like Dolan or Cuban....I can appreciate the three titles we have.

SenorSpur
07-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Well, thats one of the reasons why the Spurs have tried so hard to trade out of the first round this past couple of seasons.....they don't like to pay guaranteed money.

Also, with second round picks....you usually adjust their pay to whatever you like....and with most Euro's all they end up getting is around 1.5 million....like Ginobili did...and what Javtokas willl end up getting....which is not bad deals in favor of the Spurs. And even at that, once those deals expire...they still manage to get bargains...ala....Manu....52 or 54 Million...over 6 years I think....not bad at all.

Spurs are a really cheap team, but then again, we don't have an owner like Dolan or Cuban....I can appreciate the three titles we have.

Agree Mags. I'm glad they've been salary conscious but they've made their share of mistakes too that they later rectified (Rasho, Malik).

Having said that it's frustrating when the team needs talent help, targets an identified player that fills an apparent need yet are unable to land him.

T Park
07-07-2006, 03:44 AM
That being said, I really think that if a player they REALLY wanted needed a 5year/MLE contract this summer they'd do it. They just haven't liked anyone enough

Precisely.

Name one player in the FA market worth 5 years full MLE.

Thanks.

YamaSama
07-07-2006, 10:07 AM
The latest on Jeffries:

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20060706-115734-4704r.htm

Negotiations between the Washington Wizards and restricted free agent Jared Jeffries have reached an impasse and no new negotiations are scheduled, according to Jeffries' agent.
"I would characterize the talks as both sides making an effort, but as of today it looks as if those efforts have been futile," agent Andy Miller said yesterday.
'We have spoken frequently. Jared likes Washington and the role that he has carved out there. The problem is because he is selfless and sacrifices for everyone on the team and does the intangibles, it's unfortunate but the role seems to be one not as valued as much as he would like."
Jeffries' worth to the team is the apparent sticking point. The Wizards' position appears to be that while Jeffries played an important role -- one in which he started 77 games and averaged 6.4 points and 4.9 rebounds -- they have no intentions of overpaying him. As a restricted free agent the Wizards can match any offer Jeffries receives.
The Wizards, at least for now, don't appear to be interested in doing a sign-and-trade, despite that fact that Philadelphia and Phoenix are believed to have approached the Wizards, who already have tendered Jeffries the required one-year qualifying offer.
Miller's position is that Jeffries' value to the Wizards is higher than what it is for other teams because he knows the system well. The 6-foot-11 Jeffries played all five positions last season.
"He wants to do something that he will be happy with over the next five years," Miller said.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Precisely.

Name one player in the FA market worth 5 years full MLE.

Thanks.

Drew Gooden.

Streakyshooter08
07-07-2006, 02:01 PM
So it seems like Jeffries is available... 5 years for 18 mio would be fair but it won't be enough I guess...

texbumTHElife
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Thats all that needs to be said. he wants a 5 year deal and he wont get it here. Let it go, we arent getting Jeffries.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
So it seems like Jeffries is available... 5 years for 18 mio would be fair but it won't be enough I guess...

I hope it's not enough. He's well overrated in this forum.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 02:38 PM

he's the longest three available, and has all the tools to become a great defender. how is that overrated? dude is capable of playing great, he carried indiana into the final four championship game. given the right situation, he could be great. we don't need him to be an offensive star.

nkdlunch
07-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Jeffries was doing a good job on Lebron last playoffs until the refs took a note of that and started to bail Lebronze out.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 02:41 PM
he's the longest three available, and has all the tools to become a great defender. how is that overrated? dude is capable of playing great, he carried indiana into the final four championship game. given the right situation, he could be great. we don't need him to be an offensive star.

I was at IU during that run, which had as much to do with Coverdale and Dane Fife as anything. Miracle run. We thought he came out too early and given his stunted development, we might have been right.

He's not bad, but throwing a full MLE at him is a mistake. His defense is wildly overrated here.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 02:44 PM

Read through the whole thread.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Read through the whole thread.

i did. your point?

Streakyshooter08
07-07-2006, 02:55 PM

You think about 3,5 mio a year would still be too much?

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 02:58 PM
i did. your point?
You didn't find anything interesting at all? OK that's fine it's all been stated before from his scouting report, to his overrated defense, to his completely terrible offensive skills if you want to ignore all that stuff and raise the same questions people tried to answer on pages 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 that's great. Make people answer the same questions 5x over maybe they'll get tired, stop answering, and you can convince yourself you "won" or whatever.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM
You didn't find anything interesting at all? OK that's fine it's all been stated before from his scouting report, to his overrated defense, to his completely terrible offensive skills if you want to ignore all that stuff and raise the same questions people tried to answer on pages 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 that's great. Make people answer the same questions 5x over maybe they'll get tired, stop answering, and you can convince yourself you "won" or whatever.

i'm just shocked the supreme regurgitator of this forum would deem to question someone saying something that may have been said before.

Mr. Body
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM
You think about 3,5 mio a year would still be too much?

Nope. Sounds good.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 03:07 PM
i was just stating i don't think he's overrated. if he was people would be putting down much larger offers for him, and that's not happening.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 03:10 PM
i was just stating i don't think he's overrated. if he was people would be putting down much larger offers for him, and that's not happening.
That's fine everybody should pretty much know what the people like myself who don't like him think and what the people who like him like you think that's all. The arguments for and against him have been made pretty clear.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 03:18 PM
That's fine everybody should pretty much know what the people like myself who don't like him think and what the people who like him like you think that's all. The arguments for and against him have been made pretty clear.

i was responding to a specific post by someone who was not yourself. like most people who saw your tastless immature post about peter gammons, i usually pass over anything you post. mr. body was obviously more familiar with IU's title run than me, and i appreciated his comments in response to my post.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 03:23 PM
i was responding to a specific post by someone who was not yourself. like most people who saw your tastless immature post about peter gammons, i usually pass over anything you post. mr. body was obviously more familiar with IU's title run than me, and i appreciated his comments in response to my post.
The Gammons thing is completely irrelevant. If you want to take this to the troll forum we can do it. Questions about Jeffries weaknesses are not going to be answered by bringing up baseball.

leemajors
07-07-2006, 03:27 PM
i had no questions about jeffries' weaknesses, he is capable of good defense and his offense is not needed. the fact that you posted something like that about someone who had a stroke shows what kind of person you are, no troll forum needed.

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 03:31 PM
i had no questions about jeffries' weaknesses, he is capable of good defense and his offense is not needed. the fact that you posted something like that about someone who had a stroke shows what kind of person you are, no troll forum needed.
Yeah be sure to bring it up every time you argue with me and then say you don't want to argue about it.

El_Mago
07-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Leemajors, I'm with ya....I like Jeffries, but it's a forum....and not everyone is going to be on the same boat.....just let it go bro....no need to waste any time on nonsense...

leemajors
07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Leemajors, I'm with ya....I like Jeffries, but it's a forum....and not everyone is going to be on the same boat.....just let it go bro....no need to waste any time on nonsense...

oh. it's gone :spin

T Park
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Drew Gooden.

Nope try again.

spursmode
07-07-2006, 05:06 PM
In ESPN insider they mention that "Jeffries and Washington meet an impasse".
Anybody know anything about this?

Quadzilla99
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
In ESPN insider they mention that "Jeffries and Washington meet an impasse".
Anybody know anything about this?
It's just a link to this article- http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20060706-115734-4704r.htm

exstatic
07-07-2006, 07:12 PM
WAS is just doing what most sensible teams do: letting their RFAs gauge their market. They know that teams are reluctant to tie up their caproom or MCE for 7 days while the Wiz let them twist in the wind, so they might get him back, CHEAP.

coachmac87
07-08-2006, 01:47 PM
hes 6-11 and would be a perfect player to guard the giant nazi....still hasnt done much in the league..but i think playing with duncan,parker, and manu will be a big help

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 01:48 PM
This deserves a new thread because...?

midgetonadonkey
07-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Great post. It is completely original in idea and concept.

Mavs_man_41
07-08-2006, 02:00 PM
LOL good luck with Jarred Jeffries trying to guard Dirk.

El_Mago
07-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Dirk, will take care of himself.....in big games....he'll go for zero baskets in the 4th quarter....just like he did in game 6 of the Finals.

Mr. Body
07-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Jeffries is hardly worth $5M/year. I'm thankful the Spurs are too frugal to throw good money like that away.

He's a $3M player at best.

At best.

Mavs_man_41
07-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Dirk, will take care of himself.....in big games....he'll go for zero baskets in the 4th quarter....just like he did in game 6 of the Finals.

You mean like in game 7 of the semifinals.

Slinkyman
07-08-2006, 04:51 PM

don't you mean game 3, 4, 5 and 6?

SenorSpur
07-08-2006, 06:20 PM
LOL good luck with Jarred Jeffries trying to guard Dirk.

Jeffires would matchup better with Dirk that anyone else the Spurs have on their roster not named Bowen.

I'd do this deal and bring this kid aboard. Offer: 3m - 3.75mil per year