PDA

View Full Version : Martin already hard at work in Denver

KoriEllis
08-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Martin already hard at work in Denver

www.nba.com/nuggets/news/...49-43.html (http://www.nba.com/nuggets/news/Martin_already_hard_at_work_in-116349-43.html)

With training camp six weeks away, you might expect Denver’s newest All-Star to be relaxing by the pool and taking some time away from basketball.

But that’s not Kenyon Martin.

In fact, Martin will tell you quite a different story when asked about his summer vacation.

“I’m here, trying to get better,” Martin said after a recent workout at Pepsi Center, his new home arena. "I’m just trying to get used to the altitude – running, lifting weights, working on my shot, doing whatever it takes to get ready for the season."

Martin, who spent his first four NBA seasons with the New Jersey Nets after a stellar collegiate career at Cincinnati, relocated to Colorado three weeks ago. His life has since revolved around daily workouts at the Nuggets’ Pepsi Center practice facility and on finding a house in suburban Denver for him and his wife and their two young children.

“We’ve found some sites that we really like,” Martin said, laughing off the notion of living downtown like some of his bachelor teammates. “We’ve gotta have lots of room for the kids to run around. From what I’ve seen so far it seems like a good city. The people are nice and they treat me well.”

Imagine how nice he’ll be treated if Martin can elevate the Nuggets to title contender. In a city starving for NBA glory, and building on the good vibes of last season’s run to the postseason – Denver’s first playoff appearance in nine years – Martin is hoped to be the leader the Nuggets need to go from “sweet surprise” to “perennial powerhouse.”

“I bring that to the table,” Martin said. “In Jersey I was the guy who spoke up and said what needed to be said. No one has to come to me and be like ‘Kenyon, we need you to be a leader.’ That’s the way I am.”

While Martin’s numbers – 16.9 points and 9.5 rebounds per game last season – reflect his ability, it’s his defensive toughness, overall intensity and will to win that defines him as a player.

“I’m just trying to win basketball games. At the end of the day that’s all they judge you on,” Martin said. “Winning games makes everything a lot better and lot more fun. You’re supposed to have fun in whatever you do in your life and losing isn’t much fun.”

That workmanlike approach to the game has helped the 25-year-old become one of the premier big men in the NBA, but his goals are shaped by the team’s success, not personal accolades.

“If everyone is willing to sacrifice something for the betterment of the team, I don’t see why we wouldn’t go far. I’m gonna pick my teammates up and I expect them to do the same for me.”

gospurs21
08-25-2004, 12:51 AM
if this wuss was so good why isnt he at Athens?

Tommy Duncan
08-25-2004, 01:10 AM
I'd take him over Radosoft anytime.

T Park Num 9
08-25-2004, 01:25 AM
Yes Marcus, we know we know you dont like Nesterovic.

even though you were totally in love with him at this time last year bandwagoner.

Also,

Martin is not worth 12 million.

Tommy Duncan
08-25-2004, 01:38 AM
I've never liked Radosoft, Michelin Man.

ducks
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
attitude will make a difference
it is nice to see a player who gets a big contract that summer work on his game

exstatic
08-25-2004, 01:48 PM
KMart will suffer as a small PF in the West. He won't even get a whiff of the AS game this year. Oh, and Kenyon? Talking a lot doesn't make you a leader. Hitting big shots in big games does. Try it some time.

alamo50
08-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Looking forward to see Kenyon explode mile high.