PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: JR Smith to the Bulls

SlovenianGuy
07-02-2006, 05:38 AM
According to a well informed Hornets fan, there is a strong possibility of a trade that would send PJ Brown and JR to the Bulls for Chandler and Allen.

link (http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?t=34739)

AMOS7
07-02-2006, 05:46 AM
Bulls will be a title contender next year if this goes down, not just because of JR, but especially if they sign Wallace and their team now is already fantastic. Spurs need JR!

I truly believe this year right here is their last to contend. The NBA is changing and I think it'll be their last shot for some long time.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 05:50 AM
PJ's old and JR's a big questionmark...not sure what the bulls are thinking.

Good doeal for the Hornets. First Peja, now this...and they drafted Morrison. Good shit.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 05:52 AM
Btw

Exactly how credible is "a well informed Hornets fan"? Is that like the Charlotte version of Timvp? I wish I had insider info to make me look smart. =(

Buddy Holly
07-02-2006, 05:54 AM
PJ, JR and Foster for Brent and Beno!!!

Solid D
07-02-2006, 06:23 AM

Good doeal for the Hornets. First Peja, now this...and they drafted Morrison.

The Hornets drafted well but they didn't draft Morrison. I think you are confusing them with their old city (common mistake).

Bruno
07-02-2006, 06:32 AM
PJ, JR and Foster for Brent and Beno!!!

For the 18th million time, Spurs are over the cap and can't take more than 125% + 100k in salaries.

Doc Jerome
07-02-2006, 06:55 AM
For whatever reason, looks like the Spurs are being spurned by teams and players around the league. Could it be that SA is no longer attractive?

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 09:13 AM
For whatever reason, looks like the Spurs are being spurned by teams and players around the league. Could it be that SA is no longer attractive?

You're not attractive when you're not willing to spend much $.

furry_spurry
07-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I mentioned yesterday a package of JR and PJ for some teams bloated contract. Sounds about right. Bulls would be dumping Chandler's huge contract.

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 09:35 AM
They're thinking that Chandler's contract is a trainwreck and they have a bunch of guys to pay in the next couple of years.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2006, 09:50 AM
No chance in hell.

ducks
07-02-2006, 10:36 AM
bulls might want to get rid of that expensive contract with chandler

Darkwaters
07-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Btw

Exactly how credible is "a well informed Hornets fan"? Is that like the Charlotte version of Timvp? I wish I had insider info to make me look smart. =(

Hes not. I actually met that guy in person during the draft last week. He just has a fair amount of knowledge about the league and can make good guesses as to whats going to happen...if it does then he claims it was inside info. If not, well, things don't always work out! Yea, hes full of fluff.

After landing Peja the Hornets are still after a backup PG, another 2 guard probably and then a low post scorer. Hes saying Chandler is that low post-scorer. I think hes just a shot-blocker.

But yea, I wouldn't get too upset until JR is actually in Chitown.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Hes not. I actually met that guy in person during the draft last week. He just has a fair amount of knowledge about the league and can make good guesses as to whats going to happen...if it does then he claims it was inside info. If not, well, things don't always work out! Yea, hes full of fluff.

After landing Peja the Hornets are still after a backup PG, another 2 guard probably and then a low post scorer. Hes saying Chandler is that low post-scorer. I think hes just a shot-blocker.

But yea, I wouldn't get too upset until JR is actually in Chitown.

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/beno_udrih.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/brent_barry.jpg

Horry For 3!
07-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Good doeal for the Hornets. First Peja, now this...and they drafted Morrison. Good shit.
Charlotte Bobcats drafted Morrison. New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets drafted Hilton Armstrong and Cedric Simmons and Marcus Vinicius Vieria De Souza.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Interesting Deal. The Bulls need to get some height in the backcourt but Scott Skiles' team is known for playing hard and he is a hard nosed coach. Smith will either thrive or blow up under that intense coaching.

NorCal510
07-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Interesting Deal. The Bulls need to get some height in the backcourt but Scott Skiles' team is known for playing hard and he is a hard nosed coach. Smith will either thrive or blow up under that intense coaching.
true dat

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 03:08 PM
true dat

Thanks for giving me my props white boy.

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 03:33 PM
i doubt skiles wants smith. He is already loaded in the 2-3 slots

Actually they have 3 point guards and several small forwards. Ben Gordon is their only 2 guard and he's 6'3 so they need a tall 2 guard. They could play Thabo there but he's listed as a small forward.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Actually they have 3 point guards and several small forwards. Ben Gordon is their only 2 guard and he's 6'3 so they need a tall 2 guard. They could play Thabo there but he's listed as a small forward.

Hmmm...do the Spurs have an expendable 2?

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Hmmm...do the Spurs have an expendable 2?

Brent Barry. Maybe we could get would be Duhon from them.

clubalien
07-02-2006, 03:50 PM
this is clearly removing salary so they won't be hurt by paying big ben so much money

Mr. Body
07-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Sefolosha is listed as a SG and they plan on employing him as a combo guard.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
The Hornets drafted well but they didn't draft Morrison. I think you are confusing them with their old city (common mistake).

Whoops. :elephant

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
This is the guy that reported their draft picks, Peja signing, BJax signing, BWallace to Chicago, etc. before it happened.

He is saying that PJ Brown/JR Smith for Tyson Chandler is happening, but here's the latest. They don't want JR Smith ...

http://hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?t=34834

This will probably be my only post for at least tonight,

A couple of developments:

1) JR Smith isn't wanted by many teams, including the Bulls (that's not to say that he wont still be packaged in the deal)
2) In light of some recent developments, we don't need or want Malik Allen (once again don't take it off the board because the original trade involving PJ+JR for Chandler and Allen was agreed to)
3) Bottom line: The Bulls want PJ and the Hornets want Chandler
4) There is absolutely no truth to the ridiculous rumor of us trading Peja to the Hawks or having any sort of sign and trade involving Speedy--we lost Speedy without compensation
5) Arvydas Macijauskas will be traded and could be involved in the Bulls trade, possibly instead of JR. If not, he could be packaged with some of our other expiring contracts of veteran players to a team that wants cap relief.
6) As of now and as far as I can see it, Desmond Mason is OFF the trading block and will be penciled in as our starting Small Forward...the only way this changes is if we pick up a solid SF from the AM or JR trade
7) Back to the Bulls trade, as I said a couple days back, I was very confident that once Ben Wallace was signed, our Bulls trade would go through (at the very least invovling the two principle players--PJ and Tyson). I stand by my words.
8) If for some reason PJ is not involved in that trade, don't expect him to leave. I also want to add that PJ and Byron are very close and that PJ must approve of the trade before he is shipped out. I don't foresee any problems there.
9) John Paxson has talked to a few teams regarding Tyson Chandler and he does have some other teams vying for his services as well. Most importantly, however, is that Paxson feels PJ is exactly the PF and classy veteran they need to groom Tyrus Thomas and go far into the playoffs. I think PJ is still there best bet.
10) I expect the Bulls trade to happen by tomorrow at the latest but most likely tonight.
11) I want to add that once this trade is done, we're pretty much finished with our moves from what I can tell. In other words, we might sign a couple of backup players but we will have spent most, if not all of our cash after these trades and signings go through.
12) I'm going to be heading off to another teams forum, working some magic there and trying to let them in on whats going on. There's still numerous big time trades and free agent signings that are on the verge of happening around the NBA. Enjoy yourselves, we've had a tremendous offseason.

Good Night!

Phenomanul
07-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Interesting...

Would a JR for Beno straight up, trade work???

That would leave Barry the back-up point guard role next year...

ducks
07-04-2006, 12:43 AM
smith value has to be low
spurs can not give up barry for him
they need to keep him to trade for a big later if things do not work out for a center now

barry's ending contract might come in handy
also williams ending contract will come in handy later to

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Tell him to come do a report on the Spurs next!

atxrocker
07-04-2006, 12:48 AM
seriously, i wonder who this guy is. who is his source that he always seems to know moves before they happen or become public. very interesting. his latest post over at hr.com is that he will be visiting other forums to share his insite with other clubs in regards to their moves. i wonder who the fuck he is and why he is privy to this info.

rayray2k8
07-04-2006, 12:50 AM
You think he knows whats gonna happen to scola?
This guy is GOOD.
Maybe he should pay us a visit.

Quadzilla99
07-04-2006, 12:50 AM
seriously, i wonder who this guy is. who is his source that he always seems to know moves before they happen or become public. very interesting. his latest post over at hr.com is that he will be visiting other forums to share his insite with other clubs in regards to their moves. i wonder who the fuck he is and why he is privy to this info.

I think he's a member of the media-sportswriter or columnist.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I think he's a member of the media-sportswriter or columnist.

Oh I think he's much closer to the team than that.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
I think he's a PR guy from the team.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 12:52 AM
but he only knows moves imvolving that team, so i agree with kori

ducks
07-04-2006, 12:53 AM
I will say this
this place is also usually ahead of the curve
I thank the ones that run this site and get the info here
it is really appreciated :fro

clubalien
07-04-2006, 12:54 AM
thing is he said he would go to the other teams board

but has anyone spoted him at any spurs board or any other team boards?

atxrocker
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
but he only knows moves imvolving that team, so i agree with kori

actually thats not what kori said.. only that he was closer or had closer inside info than that. apparently he will be sharing his knowledge with other boards so we will see how on point he is. as it stands he is VERY GOOD. one has to wonder how he could know this shit.

ChumpDumper
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
My money is on "intern who is about to get fired."

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 12:57 AM

Could be something like that. Intern in the GM's office. :)

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 12:59 AM
What's funny- the Spurs are so paranoid they even send out fake info to employees.

clubalien
07-04-2006, 12:59 AM
mascot

IcemanCometh
07-04-2006, 01:04 AM
the spurs are alot more tight lipped than the hornets

clubalien
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM
With Ben Wallace apparently signing with the Bulls, Chicago will now explore trading Tyson Chandler.
ESPN.com reports on one such scenario that has Chandler heading to New Orleans for PJ Brown. Another scenario has Chandler heading to the Hawks for Al Harrington in a sign-and-trade deal. Jul. 4 - 12:41 am et
Source: ESPN.com
On rotoworld.com

Despot
07-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I know, wishfull thinking....

http://www3.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=3229629

ducks
07-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Al Harrington wanted to go to the pacers see nba thread
I guess harrington would not mind going to to the bulls now ...though

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:12 AM

It could happen

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 01:13 AM

I don't know if I'd want that. Spurs would have 13 players under contract (including Javtokas) and still not an answer to start upfront with Tim.

timvp
07-04-2006, 01:14 AM

Not bad.

Despot
07-04-2006, 01:15 AM
I don't know if I'd want that. Spurs would have 13 players under contract (including Javtokas) and still not an answer to start upfront with Tim.

Are you including Eric Williams?
We would still have the full MLE

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 01:15 AM
Are you including Eric Williams?

Yes.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 01:24 AM
I'm willing to put my 25 vbucks that Nazr is going to be resigned and will play better next year.

Despot
07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
It works if we throw in Melvin Sanders to either team, or beno to Chicago. don't think I'd want to give up Beno at this point though, especially when we are tring to find a 3rd PG.

T Park
07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
I like that trade...

Despot
07-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I'm willing to put my 25 vbucks that Nazr is going to be resigned and will play better next year.
I'm not so sure Nazr wants to come back. The Spurs will not overpay him, especially when we could have cap space next year, and with Ian being a possibility it is even less likely. If another team offers him roughly the same contract as the Spurs, he would probably bolt. I saw that look on his face in the playoffs, didn't really seem like he was looking forward t coming back.

Slinkyman
07-04-2006, 01:37 AM
We might be better off resigning Nazr and trying to trade him midseason, if he doesn't work out.

SlovenianGuy
07-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Bulls make bold move, but Hornets are being bolder
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

They've managed to strip Detroit of its beloved Ben Wallace, but the Chicago Bulls can't quite claim to be the surprise team of this fledging NBA offseason.

Especially not if the Bulls complete the trade they're discussing with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Monday night that the Bulls were close to shipping Tyson Chandler to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith.

Tyson Chandler
Center
Chicago Bulls

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
79 5.3 9.0 1.0 .565 .503

That would rank as the third bold move by the Hornets in the space of a week, after years of criticism endured by Hornets owner George Shinn over his reluctance to spend.

New Orleans/Oklahoma City commenced its summer makeover by offering Peja Stojakovic a five-year deal worth more than $60 million to entice the sharpshooting former All-Star to leave the Indiana Pacers. That was Saturday.

On Sunday, Shinn followed the Stojakovic coup by sanctioning a three-year commitment worth more than $15 million to Memphis Grizzlies guard Bobby Jackson.

If the Hornets and Bulls go ahead with the proposed deal, Shinn will absorb the remaining five years and $54 million on Chandler's six-year, $63 million contract signed last summer.

The venerable Brown, who turns 37 in October, has only one season left on his contract at $8 million. If the swap goes through, as multiple sources expect -- and depending on whether other players are thrown in; Chicago's Malik Allen has been mentioned as a possible add-on -- New Orleans/Oklahoma City will have committed to well over $120 million in new contracts in a matter of hours.

It would add up to the most unexpected outlay ever seen from Shinn, even more unexpected than the big contracts he awarded Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn in the club's Charlotte days. Those moves were contract extensions. The Hornets have never been known for making offseason splashes such as these.

Yet this deal holds obvious appeal on both sides.

Hornets coach Byron Scott, himself the recipient of a three-year contract extension just before the draft, wants to play an up-tempo game and will inevitably see the more athletic Chandler, at 7-foot-1 and turning 24 in October, as a better fit than Brown alongside Rookie of the Year point guard Chris Paul, Stojakovic and power forward David West.

The trade makes even more sense for the Bulls. They are unlikely to play two non-scorers together (Chandler and Wallace), and moving out Chandler's expensive contract for Brown's expiring deal will make it easier to absorb Wallace's four-year package, which is believed to be worth $60 million.

Brown, furthermore, is regarded as one of the best locker-room influences in the league and, along with Wallace, would provide legitimate size ... as well as the veteran know-how lacking in Chicago since the breakup of Michael Jordan's Bulls after their sixth and final championship in 1998.

The teams can't officially consummate a trade before July 12 and, as of late Monday night, they had not verbally agreed to the exchange. But the sides, according to various sources, were closing in on the stage of verbal agreement, with Shinn apparently prepared to sanction another long-term expenditure and the Bulls knowing they're unlikely to get a player in return for Chandler who helps them in as many ways as Brown.

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2508889)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-04-2006, 02:35 AM
PJ and Ben Wallace on the same front line...ouch.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 02:53 AM
Just FYI, I merged a couple JR Smith threads together and took out some repetitive posts.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 01:26 PM
Latest-- PJ Brown/JR Smith/ Macijauskas for Chandler/Allen

Due to New Orleans and Chicago being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. New Orleans and Chicago had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I'd be willing to bet the Spurs tried to get involved since those are the two Hornets we almost traded for in February, and the Spurs are still trying to trade Brent.

furry_spurry
07-04-2006, 11:25 PM
There has been speculation that a third team may have tried to get involved in this trade. Possibly neither team really wants each other's Smith and Allen. I checked this out and it actually works:

SA trades Barry and gets JR Smith and Malik Allen
NO trades Brown, JR Smth, and Macijauskas and receives Chandler and Barry
Chicago trades Chandler and Allen and receives Brown and Macijauskas.

Due to San Antonio, New Orleans, and Chicago being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. San Antonio, New Orleans, and Chicago had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Solid D
07-04-2006, 11:28 PM
There has been speculation that a third team may have tried to get involved in this trade.

Speculation by you, another blogger, or who?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Speculation by you, another blogger, or who?

I read/heard a couple places that the Bulls don't want JR Smith in the deal so a third team might get involved.

But I also heard that whatever is happening is a done deal and will be announced in the morning.

Who knows.

rayray2k8
07-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Wonder who the 3rd team could be.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 11:35 PM
I read/heard a couple places that the Bulls don't want JR Smith in the deal so a third team might get involved.

But I also heard that whatever is happening is a done deal and will be announced in the morning.

Who knows.

Hmm...well, that should be an interesting thing to wake up to. :wakeup

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 11:35 PM
This is another note regarding Chandler though:

The Bulls believe they can revive the talks if they sweeten their offer of center Tyson Chandler and forward Luol Deng with recent first-round draft pick Tyrus Thomas, whom the Timberwolves are known to covet.

A nucleus of Garnett, Wallace and Andres Nocioni on the front line coupled with Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich in the backcourt would immediately turn the Bulls into a legitimate championship contender.

In the meantime, the Timberwolves would be able to build around a young front line of Chandler, Deng and Thomas, who was the second overall pick in the draft a week ago.

Solid D
07-04-2006, 11:36 PM

Who knows.

Thanks. I saw the comments earlier about the Bulls not wanting JR but, if it was a true sentiment (not sure) that didn't necessarily mean a 3rd team was involved yet. One could speculate.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Thanks. I saw the comments earlier about the Bulls not wanting JR but, if it was a true sentiment (not sure) that didn't necessarily mean a 3rd team was involved yet. One could speculate.

The latest by the insider at Hornetsreport is that it's just JR and PJ for Chandler. No Allen or Arvydas. No 3rd team.

We'll see.

ChumpDumper
If they got KG, it would be interesting to see the Bulls' payroll in 08-09.

NuGGeTs-FaN
of course there is no doubt that the Bulls will trade Chandler to minny as part of a trade for KG, before they commit to the Hornets trade.

But if the Hornets trade goes ahead then i hope its the Nuggets who are the 3rd team :smokin but i highly doubt its them

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2006, 11:39 PM
when can the bulls trade JR after receiving him?

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 11:41 PM

Alone, immediately. In a package, 2 months.

Leetonidas
07-04-2006, 11:41 PM

August 21st I think.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-04-2006, 11:43 PM
cool, thanks

SPARKY
07-04-2006, 11:46 PM
If they got KG, it would be interesting to see the Bulls' payroll in 08-09.

Everyone on that team must make the league min. Save for Big Ben's $12 mil or whatever.

Kori Ellis
07-04-2006, 11:48 PM
Everyone on that team must make the league min. Save for Big Ben's $12 mil or whatever.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm