PDA

View Full Version : Making acquisitions to address needs versus to stockpile talent.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 03:27 PM
The Spurs might be best served this summer to acquire a player or two who doesn't exactly fill a pressing need, yet could very well come in handy in doing so later. I think the greatest unforgivable sin from a GM's standpoint is losing talent with nothing in return. Second is not acquiring available talent because they don't fill a specific need. This is not to say the team should just overpay for a player who is available. But if the price is right, they should acquire him. Nothing sucks worse than being unable to land the player you need because you have nothing to send back.

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:30 PM
if they can land joel for 5 million a year I think they could trade him anytime they want

ian has to be the answer in 2007

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 03:31 PM
if they can land joel for 5 million a year I think they could trade him anytime they want

That's actually an example of overpaying a player. Pass on Rasho Part Deux.

ian has to be the answer in 2007

Actually, Javtokas has to be the answer in 2006.

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:35 PM
joel making 5 million a year is not overpaying him
he brings more then most bigs and would be getting paid less

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
joel making 5 million a year is not overpaying him
he brings more then most bigs and would be getting paid less

For how many years? Four years from now he won't be at $5 mil per.

clubalien
07-02-2006, 03:41 PM
For how many years? Four years from now he won't be at $5 mil per.

but if you are stock pilling talent what does it matter what price you are paying because you intended to trade them

might i ask how much is rasho making in his last years of contract here

or how much malik rose is

does anyone care how much tim duncan is making when he gets old after we trade him for lebron james?

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:42 PM
most likely he would improve you think he is at his prime?

5 years from now 10% raises
and the salary cap will be alot higher in 5 years

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
paying joel 25 million over 5 years is too much. He wants long term contract and he won't settle for anything less then 4-5 years. The ideal contract would be 2 year 10 million.

if he blows up you would have to pay big money later or let him walk

I guess you could be cheap and expect ian to be everything
but ian can not play all 48 minutes a game

Bruno
07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Marcus, can you give examples of talented players we can get for cheap ?

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
joel is not going to settle for a 2 year contract
vets do and some rookies
not players in the nba for 3 years

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:48 PM
scola if no buyou

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:51 PM
The thing is, I don't think he will blow up.
because players hit their prime now after 3 years :rolleyes

dude brings rebounding and block shots

spurs do not need a big o guy from center

ducks
07-02-2006, 03:55 PM
no one thought they could trade rasho and they did

clubalien
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
our starting center right now is Finely

we need someone why not a player that is cheaper than rasho and better than rasho and nazr combined

I would even sign Cato(played with yao with rockets) because he woudl be a better starter then finely right now as our center!

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:02 PM
:lol

bigfan
07-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Bring over Scola and we'll be fine. The Shark and Oberto can handle the 5 slot.

clubalien
07-02-2006, 04:04 PM
and who is his and tim duncan back up

tony, beno!
manu, barry
bowen, finely
tim, Horry?
javtokas, oberto

looks pretty weak
but
Tony>barry
manu>finely
bowen>horry
Tim>javtokas
przy>oberto
with javtoask and przy playing together when tim resting seems better to me

Solid D
07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
if he blows up you would have to pay big money later or let him walk

I guess you could be cheap and expect ian to be everything
but ian can not play all 48 minutes a game

There is a potential risk to consider and that is Joel Przybilla sat out for a few weeks last season due to right knee tendenitis that appeared to be somewhat chronic. It's a problem that lots of basketball players have to manage, to be sure...but there was some mention last season that if Joel's knee didn't show improvement, he might have to consider arthroscopic surgery. That didn't happen, but it is a consideration when assessing risk.

picnroll
07-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Q Woods is a guy that could be had caheap, is taletnted and by playing, staying out of trouble could have increased value.

Solid D
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
That's the key. Keeping relatively inexpensive role players - who can perform well in a team-oriented scheme - around the 3 highest paid star players.

The higher the salaries for the Big 3 as each year goes by, the more the Spurs have to 1) search for young players who come cheaply before they've made their mark, or 2) search for seasoned vets willing to take less for their one-last run at a ring.

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
The Spurs might be best served this summer to acquire a player or two who doesn't exactly fill a pressing need, yet could very well come in handy in doing so later. I think the greatest unforgivable sin from a GM's standpoint is losing talent with nothing in return. Second is not acquiring available talent because they don't fill a specific need. This is not to say the team should just overpay for a player who is available. But if the price is right, they should acquire him. Nothing sucks worse than being unable to land the player you need because you have nothing to send back.
Finally something I agree with. Only targeting role players is closing the door on potential trade steals. If you improve the overall talent level on the team then your moving in the right direction.

Only going after specific role players will put the spurs in a position that if the role players don't work out then they can be difficult to trade because they will have low market value.

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:27 PM
most likely he would improve you think he is at his prime?

5 years from now 10% raises
and the salary cap will be alot higher in 5 years

Yes Pryzbilla will not get any better.

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:28 PM
I find it hard to believe players after 3 years in the nba now have hit their prime

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:29 PM
joel next to duncan would make joel better also practicing against duncan would make him better

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Not every player improves. It depends on a players skill set, mental makeup and opportunity to improve. Many believed rasho would improve on the spurs. He did not.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2006, 04:32 PM
but if you are stock pilling talent what does it matter what price you are paying because you intended to trade them

Um, yes, it does matter as the contract size undoubtedly affects the ability of a team to trade a player.

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Not every player improves. It depends on a players skill set, mental makeup and opportunity to improve. Many believed rasho would improve on the spurs. He did not.

rasho had played in the nba alot longer then joel

if joel was on his 8 season I would not think he would improve or even after 6-7 years

Quadzilla99
I find it hard to believe players after 3 years in the nba now have hit their prime

Pryzbilla's been in the league 6 years do your homework.

rascal
joel next to duncan would make joel better also practicing against duncan would make him better

Not necessarily true. I heard the same things about Rasho

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Who are you guys talking about?

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Joel will never be anything more than a part time role player most effective with limited minutes.

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:37 PM
rascal is saying joel would not improve the rest of his nba career
I am saying he would

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:37 PM
Who are you guys talking about?

Didn't you read the name Joel Pryzbilla?

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Joel will never be anything more than a part time role player most effective with limited minutes.

paying him 5 million is not bad being a 6 man if that is all you think he will be

most 6 men get paid atleast the mle and most 6 big men get more

rascal
07-02-2006, 04:39 PM
rascal is saying joel would not improve the rest of his nba career
I am saying he would

Why would he improve? Because he would put on a Spurs jersey? And how much do you expect him to improve anyways?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Didn't you read the name Joel Pryzbilla?He's the "need" guy.

Who are the "stockpile" guys lining up to be signed by the Spurs so they can be traded in December?

coopdogg3
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
6. Joel Przybilla, Trail Blazers
One of his primary leverage options disappeared when the Raptors went out and traded for Rasho Nesterovic, but the Bulls and Hornets both need size and have the cap room to afford the premium they'll have to pay for a big man. Remember, nobody gets overpaid in the NBA like centers, and if Samuel Dalembert is worth $8.4 million and Tyson Chandler $9 million, Przybilla will want to be in the same league.

That's at least what Chris Sheridan with ESPN Insider thinks, and here's what he has about Nazr:

7. Nazr Mohammed, Spurs
San Antonio will deem him expendable if it feels the price is too high. The Spurs believe they can get by at the position in this age of small ball by going more with Tim Duncan at center, backed up by Fabricio Oberto and the incoming Robertas Javtokas. But again, centers are at a premium when they go onto the free agent market, and Mohammed shouldn't have trouble finding a team willing to give him the five-year deal he's seeking.

In other words, Sheridan has Przy at #6 and Nazr at #7 for the most attractive free agents. So I guess a sign-and-trade is possible to swap these players. Personally, I think Sheridan is off by a mile, but what do I know? It does appear that Nazr and Przy will want substantially more than the MLE though. But that's what makes the off-season so much fun, you never quite know what you're gonna get.

AdmiralMVP
07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
our starting center right now is Finely

we need someone why not a player that is cheaper than rasho and better than rasho and nazr combined

I would even sign Cato(played with yao with rockets) because he woudl be a better starter then finely right now as our center!

Who's Finely? And I hope you aren't confusing the SG/SF Finley for a C.

clubalien
07-02-2006, 04:45 PM
chump, I say we offer paja the vet min and stock pile him
the conversation got off track that is why it is a little weird wtih joel duscussion and the title of thread

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
he averaged 7 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 25 minutes last year
scored 6.1 points a game

hope he can be a 10 point guy 10 rebound guy with 3 blocks a game
given 30 minutes a night
spurs have not had that for awhile now

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:48 PM
he would improve because he would paly 82 games if he can stay healthy and is starting to get experience

clubalien
07-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Who's Finely? And I hope you aren't confusing the SG/SF Finley for a C.
what that statement is saying is we have no starting center and if tim is our center we have no starting power forward. it is also a refernce to small ball when we had no center because tim played center but doesn't liek to be called a center so finely was our center!

this is the big men CURRENTLY signed
cannot sign till july 12
horry old worn out needs limited mins.
oberto soem call him a scrub. I think he played good defense on dirk
tim duncan

so unless we sign someone

we have no cetner or no power forward

so either loko forward to 4 on 5 or us having to get somone

ducks
07-02-2006, 04:53 PM
53.3 is what he shots from the free throw line
that makes him a spur

by the way that has improved every year in the nba so far rascal

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I'll ask again: who's going on the pile?

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Bueller?

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Frye?

JGrice02
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
What does four years from now have to do with anything? For starters, Joel is only 27 so four years from now he will only be 31 - the same age as Duncan. And in four years from now will Ginobili be a $10.7 million/year player? Will Duncan be a 22.1 million/year player?

For a solid starting center in the NBA a salary of $5 million/year is NOT overpaying a guy. The Spurs would be thrilled to get a guy on their roster of his quality for that kind of money. The only problem is that other teams might be willing to overpay for him. Other teams might throw Rasho money at him (7-8 million/year) and that really is too much.