PDA

View Full Version : Nene is signed

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4005750

First the bad news for Nene - the Brazilian soccer team lost in the World Cup on Saturday.

But as painful as that might be for any Brazilian, this weekend ended up far more good than bad for the Nuggets' restricted free agent. He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.

Nene's agent, Dan Fegan praised Denver owner Stan Kroenke, whose decisiveness helped eliminate a bidding war for the 23-year-old forward, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

"What I've learned through this process is I'm convinced Mr. Kroenke is going to do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "Make no mistake about it."

Between this deal and the extension small forward Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Kroenke has committed this weekend to spend approximately $140 million.

Denver may be close to keeping a third player in the fold, too. Fegan also represents power forward Reggie Evans, who is a restricted free agent whose name has already been linked to several teams around the league.

"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
thank the Spurs for blowing out his ankle and keeping him of the radar.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
thats awesome :smokin

Nene and Melo are done, now the organisation can focus on wheeling and dealing the other pieces of the team

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Good job. Now just get rid of KMart.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 06:20 PM
thank the Spurs for blowing out his ankle and keeping him of the radar.

:lol yeh, thanks Timmy :smokin

then contract is laced with incentives as well which im sure will ensure Denver doesnt have another 'glass' big man :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Good job. Now just get rid of KMart.

they are trying but its going to be a hard job to do

Quadzilla99
07-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Nene's ESPN Insider scouting report going into last year:

Quick players usually are good leapers, and players who can't jump usually are slow. Nenê is a rare exception. He's extremely quick for a man of his size, reminiscent of Hakeem Olajuwon at times, and frequently steals the ball from guards when defending screen-and-roll plays. Unfortunately, he can't jump. That lack of leaping ability is the one limitation preventing him from becoming an upper-tier center.

Like a lot of players who don't leap well, Nenê tried to make up for it by taking charges. Despite coming off the bench, Nenê led the team in charges with 22. We know this because the Nuggets were the only NBA team to track charges in their media notes, which make for an interesting study.

I've included the charges drawn by every Nugget in the following chart. First, notice how rare they are. The team drew only 106 all season, or a little over one per game, and they were considered one of the better teams at this. Second, there's a huge disparity among players in how many they drew. Buckner played 1,522 minutes without drawing a single charge, while Najera drew 12 in 575 minutes. Najera's charge rate was more than double that of most his teammates and 50 times as much as Anthony's.

What you'll notice about the Nuggets' leaders in charges is a common theme throughout the league -- they're big men who can't block shots. Knowing that limitation, they opt to stay on the ground and try to force a turnover. Camby is the lone exception, which is a sign of his exceptional defensive skill, but Najera, Nenê, Elson, and Russell all fit the stereotype perfectly.

Offensively, Nenê runs the floor extremely well for a big man and took advantage of the Nuggets' transition offense to get many easy baskets. He has no jumper, however, and his post game is mostly limited to quick spin moves. He also fades away too much when he shoots inside, perhaps because of his poor leaping.

The Nuggets face their first important decision with Nenê as he's eligible for an extension before the season starts. Considering his youth and production, he's worth several million dollars a year, but his lack of elevation will be a roadblock to stardom.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 06:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2507685

sounds like they are going to try and mend the relationship. Im all for keeping him if it works out coz i like him but hate his attitude.

Im sure this is just all part of PR

Texas_Ranger
07-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Martin needs to go away and everything will be alright.

ducks
07-02-2006, 06:46 PM
"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.

scott
07-02-2006, 07:04 PM
I like how the STSA jackasses thought Nene might be available for the MLE and even then weren't sure if he was worth it.

FreshPrince22
07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Nuggets better hope that knee doesn't act up again. 6 years is a long commitment to a player that just missed an entire season.

timvp
07-02-2006, 07:43 PM
$6-year, $60M? Are you kidding me? Who else was going to offer anything close to that?

Whottt's head will explode once he reads this thread.

furry_spurry
07-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Nene's getting $10M per year!!! I think the Spurs get no big man this summer- unless he comes from Europe.

JMarkJohns
07-02-2006, 08:05 PM
Wow! No kidding... 60 million? Add me to the list of those who don't think he's worth that EVER and that the Nuggets outbid themselves by close to 20 million for his services. Six years, 42 million is about right. 4.1 mill, 5 mill, 6 mill, 7.1 mill, 8.3 mill, 9.5 mill.

That's about what he's worth at his max. MLE for the next three years and then close to double the MLE for the next three. His ceiling is about as high as Kurt Thomas was two/three years ago. Kurt was only worth around that.

RON ARTEST
07-02-2006, 08:15 PM
have they seen enough of nene to think hes worth this much money? some of these teams have lost thier minds with the money thier giving up to sign players. hopefully the kings can keep bonzi and if they do i wont have to convince dumb pacer fans that hes not coming over there for the fucking MLE.

Brutalis
07-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Wow.

More ignorance coming from the Nuggets management.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Will no one ever learn from the frugal genius of Donald T Sterling?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 09:11 PM
r u guys kidding? The bulls or Hawks would have thrown $60mil at him with no qualms at all. I agree that its too much but thats the state of the league.

Chandler, Dalembert etc etc are all overpaid but it seems all you have to do is be big, solid and show some promise and you will be guaranteed big bucks.

Nuggets are just falling inline with the rest of the league. I hate the big money involved in sports.

I think Nene will be fine and he hasnt had minutes yet to prove himself. Kmart will be gone and Nene will be starting which will make a big difference.

exstatic
07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Chandler, Dalembert etc etc are all overpaid but it seems all you have to do is be big, solid and show some promise and you will be guaranteed big bucks.

It's no coincidence that those are two players on the "move" list this summer.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2006, 11:02 PM
It's no coincidence that those are two players on the "move" list this summer.

yeh, and it could well happen to Nene in the future but its a risk that management has to take.

I believe he will be solid and a worthy investment and it would have been a PR nightmare if they didnt offer him a decent contract. The fans love Nene :smokin

Supergirl
07-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Man, that's a lot of money for a guy who barely played last year.

If this guy doesn't play all season and dominate the Nuggets out of the 1st round of the playoffs, this will be one of their biggest mistakes ever, esp considering they're still trying to unload K-mart's contract.

DDS4
07-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Bad move.

I can understand if he has Amare type talent, but he doesn't.

whottt
07-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Kiki was fired right? His replacement won't last long.

Nene wasn't worth that before his injury...I seriously doubt that he's going to be worth it after.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 01:44 AM
its no suprise. Im sure some of you guys thought Rasho was a good signing at the time :smoking

Who cares in the end, we arent writing the cheques. I want to see Nene turn into a solid big man but its no skin off my nose if it doesnt work out

Im just happy that Kroenke is committed to pay the big bucks to help the Nuggets get better

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 02:06 AM
I guarantee the Nuggets will regret doing this. Just like like contracts of Chris Webber, Malik Rose, Allan Houston, Jalen Rose, Rasho Nesterovic, and Jerome James.

just tell Duncan to stay out of the way and then Nene will play a full season once in a while :lol

DirkAB
07-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Way too much money for Nene, especially after a major injury. WTF were they thinking? Worst contract I've heard about yet this offseason.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 03:46 AM
its no suprise. Im sure some of you guys thought Rasho was a good signing at the time :smokinWe acually bid against another team back then -- and ours was the lower offer.

Again I point to the shining example of Donald T Sterling to let the market decide the value of your free agents.

furry_spurry
07-03-2006, 11:37 AM
its no suprise. Im sure some of you guys thought Rasho was a good signing at the time :smokin
Even with the way things turned out, it was still the right signing at the time. The Spurs had to have a center- Duncan wanted one. It was still a much better option than Kandi--who sucks-- and Brad Miller who got a much larger contract and can't defend at all. Rasho came here for less than his market value- to the tune of the $10M he left in Minneosta. See what it costs the Spurs to find another big man this summer-- that is if they find one at all.

whottt
07-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Um...I'd rather pay Rasho 10 million per season than Nene.

IF this guys future is as good as the last 6 years of Grant Hill's career, I'll be surprised.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 04:29 PM
We acually bid against another team back then -- and ours was the lower offer.

Again I point to the shining example of Donald T Sterling to let the market decide the value of your free agents.

I'm sorry but we can't salvage or explain that deal both deals suck but I'd much rather Nene and his deal than Rasho and the one we signed him to.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Um...I'd rather pay Rasho 10 million per season than Nene.

Put down the pipe.

whottt
07-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Put down the pipe.

About the only knee injury more severe than what Nene had is getting your knee cap blown off with a shot gun.

He suffered a torn medial collateral, a torn anterior cruciate, and a torn meniscus...any one of those by themselves can be a career ender, and always a career alterer...all 3 of them? Un no...I am not the one on crack. The Nuggets brand spanking new GM is.

A torn meniscus is the slightest of the 3, the only one players usually bounce back from effectively, and one of those by themselves pretty much ruined Chris Webber.

It'll be 3 years before Nene gets back to being anywhere close as good as he was before that injury...and he wasn't that great to begin with.

Did you read what Nene's biggest limitation was? He can't jump a lick...he'll be worse, his lateral movement is going to be fucked, and he won't be anywhere near as quick as he was.

Rasho's numbers are better period...and Rasho hasn't had a destroyed knee.

This will go down as one of the worst deals and stupidest contracts in NBA history..book it.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 05:06 PM
thats what you get for getting undercut by Duncan :smokin j/k :lol

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I admit I didn't know his knee injury was that bad Whott, so I'll give you that. Also I said both deals suck and are terrible but not to be a dick but you didn't do you homework and are embarassing yourself so just stop. One of the lost factors in the Nuggets resurgence when they got Anthony was the play of Nene who was 2nd in the NBA that season to KG (!) in plus/minus. His rookie numbers in plus minus were low because his team was terrible but the last 2 years 2003-2004 & 2004-05 he has been sterling. He shoots a very high percentage and is a good finisher because of his strength(you didnt think Shaq was a good finisher because of high verrtical did you?). He is a good post defender because of his strength and quickness. He's just a much better player, worthy of a starting job and like 5 year 35 million dollar deal, if healthy.

Did you read what Nene's biggest limitation was? He can't jump a lick....

That's hilarious I posted that report man, so yeah i read it. He had great plus minus numbers then when he couldn't jump so now when he can't jump they should still be exceptional. Besides micro fracture is the knee surgery that ruins careers. The fact that he can't jump is made up far partly by his freakish 7'4 1/2" wingspan and his strength and physical play. Nene is quick and strong. Rasho can't jump either but is slow and as weak as any player in the league.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 05:16 PM
Nene is still going to be a monster, but its all based on the 'Potential' word which i hate coz it gets thrown around so much in the NBA.

The fans love Nene, the Nuggets needed to re-sign him and they did. The fans wont be ticked at management if he gets injured again, but they would have been ticked if the Nuggets didnt keep him.

T Park
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
but you didn't do you homework and are embarassing yourself so just stop

Is this like exstatic not doing his homework, and you being wrong?

Solid D
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Way over-valued. Fegan does it again. Nugs will feel that one in a couple of years.

whottt
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I admit I didn't know his knee injury was that bad Whott, so I'll give you that. Also I said both deals suck and are terrible but not to be a dick but you didn't do you homework and are embarassing yourself so just stop. One of the lost factors in the Nuggets resurgence when they got Anthony was the play of Nene who was 2nd in the NBA that season to KG (!) in plus/minus. His rookie numbers in plus minus were low because his team was terrible but the last 2 years 2003-2004 & 2004-05 he has been sterling. He shoots a very high percentage and is a good finisher because of his strength(you didnt think Shaq was a good finisher because of high verrtical did you?). He is a good post defender because of his strength and quickness. He's just a much better player, worthy of a starting job and like 5 year 35 million dollar deal, if healthy.

That's hilarious I posted that report man, so yeah i read it. He had great plus minus numbers then when he couldn't jump so now when he can't jump they should still be exceptional. Besides micro fracture is the knee surgery that ruins careers. The fact that he can't jump is made up far partly by his freakish 7'4 1/2" wingspan and his strength and physical play. Nene is quick and strong. Rasho can't jump either but is slow and as weak as any player in the league.

Hey I drafted Nene for my fantasy team last year...I am well aware of the potential he had...but he had not fufilled it yet, and had many drawbacks to his game.

Point there is...Nene wasn't worth 10 million per based on potential.

The true point I am making...

The point is...he destroyed his knee. D Stroyed IT.

The injury to Nene is that bad and is the primary reason for my stance. Torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral are bad as you can get.

And you judge Rasho too much by his Spurs career and Pop's hardassedness.

Don't get me wrong, Rasho lack motivation and agressiveness...but in terms of talent Rasho has quite a bit on both sides of the ball...he's got a good shot, he's got good length, and he is very ahtletic and very coordinated for a bigman....Rasho's problems are all in his head.

But yes..right now, after that injury, I would give Rasho 10 million per before I would give Nene that...it would be the better deal.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey I drafted Nene for my fantasy team last year...I am well aware of the potential he had...but he had not fufilled it yet, and had many drawbacks to his game.

Point there is...Nene wasn't worth 10 million per based on potential.

The true point I am making...

The point is...he destroyed his knee. D Stroyed IT.

The injury to Nene is that bad and is the primary reason for my stance. Torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral are bad as you can get.

And you judge Rasho too much by his Spurs career and Pop's hardassedness.

Don't get me wrong, Rasho lack motivation and agressiveness...but in terms of talent Rasho has quite a bit on both sides of the ball...he's got a good shot, he's got good length, and he is very ahtletic and very coordinated for a bigman....Rasho's problems are all in his head.

But yes..right now, after that injury, I would give Rasho 10 million per before I would give Nene that...it would be the better deal.

If his knee injury is that bad then it's really a terrible deal. Both deals sucked though so it's just a matter of degrees. I wish I was 7 feet tall.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Reached via e-mail, Nene thanked Hess for his work and said of his rehab: "My goal has always been to get back on the court, at least practicing with the team, this season. I am working very hard to accomplish that goal. Once I am back on the practice court, we will see how I am from there."

Hess has worked with about 30 injured knees similar to what Nene experienced and said he has never seen a faster recovery. Nene spends between 90 minutes and three hours six days a week on rehabbing his leg, as well as the rest of his body.

In late December, the team measured the circumference of his leg at 3, 6 and 9 inches above his kneecap and found the thigh had atrophied by 2 inches. Hess said he had a similar injury and it took him two years to get his leg muscles symmetrical again.

thats from back in February

Hess couldnt believe that Nene had lost weight since opening night. He started the season at 269 with 11% body fat and was down to 264 with 9% body fat in February.

I am sure the Nuggets have taken his recovery into consideration when it came to the contract dealings. Im not saying i expect him to be 100% straight away but the reports from earlier in the year and now are very promising.

We will have to wait till November to see how he is in a game situation

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Nene is looking great. He is getting into shape (down to around 260lbs which is about 25 lbs less than the offseason i think) and is healthy. His minutes have been increased and he is now starting

In February he is averaging 18.2ppg (57% fg)/ 8.2 rpg / 1.3 bpg :smokin

It was just a matter of time

Dirk Nowitzki
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Nene is looking great. He is getting into shape (down to around 260lbs which is about 25 lbs less than the offseason i think) and is healthy. His minutes have been increased and he is now starting

If Nene pans out (which is looking very likely) I hope you guys find a way to deal K-Mart.

exstatic
02-11-2007, 10:39 AM

So, for 10 days in a slow month for hoops, pre ASG, he ALMOST does enough to not make you hate the contract...in year one? Got it.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-11-2007, 01:49 PM
So, for 10 days in a slow month for hoops, pre ASG, he ALMOST does enough to not make you hate the contract...in year one? Got it.

wow it must be easy to play 100% in the NBA after missing an entire season with a torn ACL :rolleyes

Barring injury, this guy will only get better

Dirk Nowitzki
02-11-2007, 03:31 PM
wow it must be easy to play 100% in the NBA after missing an entire season with a torn ACL :rolleyes

Barring injury, this guy will only get better

Dont mind him. He is just pissed off because his Spurs are no longer the elite team they once were and that anyone in the West can beat them in a series now.

mavs>spurs2
02-11-2007, 03:44 PM
He suffered a torn medial collateral, a torn anterior cruciate, and a torn meniscus...any one of those by themselves can be a career ender, and always a career alterer...all 3 of them? Un no...I am not the one on crack. The Nuggets brand spanking new GM is.

Torn Meniscus isn't that bad. I know a guy that played a whole season on one, then had surgury in the offseason.

sabar
02-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Nene didn't tear his MCL, he sprained it. If he tore both his ACL and MCL that would have been the end of his career on that night barring a miracle.