PDA

View Full Version : Barebones/Generic Computer Systems In San Antonio

MannyIsGod
07-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a generic system bundle? I don't need a monitor or the any of the I/O devices or even the OS. I just need a board, case, RAM etc etc and I don't want to order through the internet because i'll probably need it ASAP.

I also don't want to worry about matching up compatiable components, so I just want to go somewhere and buy a box.

Anyone have any ideas?

AlamoSpursFan
07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Altex?

Tres_Till_it_MHz
07-02-2006, 09:45 PM
http://www.askacs.com/

dougp
07-02-2006, 09:50 PM
ACS is awesome, lowest prices in SA by far.

If you want to hit up the net, try www.directron.com or www.newegg.com ... maybe even try www.clubit.com as they have some good deals every now and then.

ChumpDumper
07-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Wow, ACS is right next to my Wednesday karaoke spot. :drunk

Zombie
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
E-machines rock and are dirt cheap!

leemajors
07-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, ACS is right next to my Wednesday karaoke spot. :drunk

you move out of austin?

T Park
07-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Wal Mart has great deals on E-Machines, the last time I was in one in SA.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 03:35 AM
you move out of austin?Splitting time between the two until I decide to start working again.

Notorious H.O.P.
07-03-2006, 12:45 PM
http://www.askacs.com/

WTF? Was this website written by an infant?

It looks and more specifically SOUNDS like it hasn't been updated since the web was invented.

I've bought stuff from ACS before and been mostly satisfied. I got a power supply that went out after a little over a year but otherwise, the other 4-5 products I've bought there have been ok.

But alot of other people I know that build systems all the time refuse to even drive by the place. They claim they sell nothing but garbage there.

Is PC Wholesale (Isom area) still around? When everyone I knew was building systems, this is where they got their parts.

There is also a shop right behind University Bowl called AllGen Computer Warehouse. Their website is almost as professional as ACS but I've been in their place and they've got some decent stuff in there.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
PCW is expensive and staffed by goofballs. I dealt with them almost every day for two years. They have some decent equipment, but they can't even get me RAM with a specific CAS latency.

katyon6th
07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
E-machines rock and are dirt cheap!

Manny, whatever you do, don't buy an e-machine. Dirt cheap? You get what you pay for.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I can build my own system, but I just don't feel like doing it. I've bought stuff from ACS in the past and I haven't really been dissatisfied but I don't think its all that cheap.

I've also bought from Allgen in the past. No bad experiences.

I looked at the prices and they all seem to be about the same regardless of where I look. I don't think they're all that cheap compared to what I'd pay for a ready built machine at Circuit City or Best Buy. At this point I'll probably just either buy from Dell or go with some of the machines I saw that were good deals at Best Buy or CC.

Thanks for the posts everyone!

dougp
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Manny, whatever you do, don't buy an e-machine. Dirt cheap? You get what you pay for.
Their laptops are rather badass (the older A64 systems w/ a 9700pro in it) but their desktop systems are still shit.

cherylsteele
07-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on a generic system bundle? I don't need a monitor or the any of the I/O devices or even the OS. I just need a board, case, RAM etc etc and I don't want to order through the internet because i'll probably need it ASAP.

I also don't want to worry about matching up compatiable components, so I just want to go somewhere and buy a box.

Anyone have any ideas?
Try the goodwill computer store near 410 and callahan or discount electronics at vance jackson and 410.

goodwill has some for aroun $100 and you can add whatever hardware you want to bring it up to snuff.

xrayzebra
07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Manny, check the ads. There always seems to be someone wanting to unload their
computer at a decent price. But Live Oak civic center and the center over on
Broadway has the computer shows going on quite often. You more than likely
find something there. Send crazy a PM he just got thru building his own system,
he may be able to give you some guidance.

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 07:53 PM
There are nothing but dumpy places locally. The power-supplies from ACS only last about a year in the new cases. I've had to replace multiple. Do what I do and order your barebones system from Pricewatch.com. In most cases, you'll get a nice system, minus an expensive video card, I've built 64-bit AMD systems for about $300, and the delivery only takes as long as it would take for a local place to custom make it anyway.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Meh, I really don't feel like building things. I'm ok with buying a whole system. My building days are done, I'm just tired of messing with it. I don't want to make sure the board I buy is compatiable with the other components and I simply don't want to go to the hassle. I just want to walk in and walk out.

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Pricewatch has complete barebone systems that remove the incompatibility hassle. In some cases you may have to add a hard-drive or DVD writer, but since your going with your own software anyway, that's not such a bad thing. Besides, you don't even have to go anywhere. You order online and the UPS or FED Ex guy is at your door three days later.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Ugh, stay away from eMachines.

MannyIsGod
07-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Oh, I'm not buying an emachine. :lol

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 08:26 PM
Just order a Good Mb/Chip/Mem combo and add your choice of case, then let the seller install and test your setup for complete compatibility. You can even add a HD or order your own from ebay or pricewatch to save cash.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 08:34 PM
FWIW, they've got some barebones at Altex, then you could add whatever components you want to it.

Nbadan
07-03-2006, 08:42 PM
By the way, if you ever want to get away with that 'significant other' in luxury but your short on cash, go to priceline and under-bid for 5* star hotels in SA, especially just before 6pm locally. I've stayed in some of the finest hotel rooms in SA for $50+tax.

:lol

MannyIsGod
07-03-2006, 09:27 PM
By the way, if you ever want to get away with that 'significant other' in luxury but your short on cash, go to priceline and under-bid for 5* star hotels in SA, especially just before 6pm locally. I've stayed in some of the finest hotel rooms in SA for $50+tax.

:lol
Now thats a kick ass tip. Thanks!

The sone
07-04-2006, 12:45 AM
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=395953&N=200626&An=browse

its a decent deal and i think you get some rebates. and arent there a few spurs talkers that work at this place? how about a hook up!!?

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 06:25 AM
:lmao

I'm thinking about buying an eMachine. I can't find many bad things said about them. Can someone clue me into why you guys think they are so bad?

BIG IRISH
07-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Give Mouse a call. I'm sure he will Hook you up

spurster
07-05-2006, 08:34 AM
An anecdote. The "kids" bought my mother-in-law an emachines for Xmas, but it never worked. The store (Best Buy?) couldn't get it to work either. I don't know anymore details. She not my Mom, and she lives in a different state.

Oh, I helped to arrange to get her a cheap Directron system. After my wife set it up, she's had some minor issues, but it's worked out pretty well. An issue with dealing with Directron in Texas is the sales tax. I prefer to get build-to-order systems out-of-state to avoid sales tax. resellerratings.com might be helpful for consumer reviews.

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 03:15 PM
No eMachine for me. I actually ended up getting a Compaq that had so much crap and was on clearence that there was no way I would have been able to build it for the price. I got lucky.

Thanks for all the posts!

strangeweather
07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
:lmao

I'm thinking about buying an eMachine. I can't find many bad things said about them. Can someone clue me into why you guys think they are so bad?
I found a stupid-cheap deal for an eMachines laptop a year ago at Best Buy. I had heard their customer service was horrible, so I bought the extended warranty through Best Buy.

The bad news: the wifi worked horribly, and it developed a couple of other randomly annoying problems.

The good news: Best Buy finally replaced it after sending it in to the shop a few times.

Bottom line: if you want a computer that just works, stay far, far away.

katyon6th
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
No eMachine for me. I actually ended up getting a Compaq that had so much crap and was on clearence that there was no way I would have been able to build it for the price. I got lucky.

Thanks for all the posts!

I'm glad you stayed away from the eMachine. For your sake and the forums, cause lord knows we would've heard the bitching that would ensue after you using it. :lol

MannyIsGod
07-05-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm glad you stayed away from the eMachine. For your sake and the forums, cause lord knows we would've heard the bitching that would ensue after you using it. :lol:lol

This is true.

spurs=bling
07-06-2006, 12:31 AM
i have an e-machines W3080

3000+ AMD Athlon XP

CD-RW

DVD Player

80 GB

512 MB

the one thing i don't like are the six USB ports.