PDA

View Full Version : Beno and Barry for S Jackson?

bigdog
07-02-2006, 09:50 PM
now that peja is gone in indiana, im sure they want a veteran shooter. and i know that the front office in indiana doesnt see eye to eye with Stephen Jackson. If I'm right, this trade would work salary-wise, and I think jackson would fit in well AGAIN with the spurs. he's developed a very decent offensive game, averaginv about 18 ppg since he left SA in '03.....his defense wasnt bad when he was here either. he knows the system well, and works good with tim duncan. the combonation of Jackson,Duncan,and Ginobili worked very well. Even if his contract might be a little big, its better because hes still young, and is still getting better. he could become part of the core for the spurs. i believe he can be Bowen's replacement when he ends up retiring,even though we can never replace bowen's defense. some of you might think im crazy, but oh well. now,beno would be gone, but that opens the door for Speedy Claxton, or someone like Chucky Atkins. I'm not sure that Jackson would go from being a starter to backing up Bowen, but if he was on the bench with Speedy and Finley, thats a potential 45 points off the bench combining just them 3 players. I know many of you wouldnt like jackson because of turnovers, but Pop probably wouldnt let him handle the ball that much anyways, so theres no worry there.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm sure other teams would offer more.

The league doesn't think much of Udrih, and I don't think Barry is enough to get it done.

NorCal510
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
word pdbm

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm sure other teams would offer more.

The league doesn't think much of Udrih, and I don't think Barry is enough to get it done.
Don't be too sure. Barry + Beno may not have a ton of value, but not only has Jackson underperformed his contract from Indiana's standpoint, he's been a locker room problem as well.

I'm not so sure that anyone else is lining up to bring him in.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Don't be too sure. Barry + Beno may not have a ton of value, but not only has Jackson underperformed his contract from Indiana's standpoint, he's been a locker room problem as well.

I'm not so sure that anyone else is lining up to bring him in.

He has?

I haven't really seen anything about him being a cancer.

ducks
07-02-2006, 10:26 PM
the value barry has is his contract
pacers need to start over
beno is cheap also

I would not do the deal but I could see why the pacers would do it

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 10:31 PM
He has?

I haven't really seen anything about him being a cancer.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42650&highlight=stephen+jackson

Stephen Jackson also has been considered possible trade bait, but his return could depend on his attitude. He played in all but one game and averaged 16.4 points this season, but Bird said Jackson spent too much time jawing with officials and taking poor shots.

Jackson also blamed rookie teammate Danny Granger for allowing Vince Carter to score too easily on a key play late in Game 5 against the Nets.

"It's up to Stephen to do the right thing," Bird said. "I don't like some of the things he did this year. If he's back here, which I expect him to be, there's going to be some changes. I don't like our fans booing our players, but some of the things Stephen was doing out on the court frustrated me. I was embarrassed at times."

Bird said coach Rick Carlisle deserves some of the blame for the team's lack of discipline and that Carlisle should expect more from his players.

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 10:31 PM
BRING BACK SJAX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXCw1bLm6UA&search=stephen%20jackson)

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Stephen Jackson also has been considered possible trade bait, but his return could depend on his attitude. He played in all but one game and averaged 16.4 points this season, but Bird said Jackson spent too much time jawing with officials and taking poor shots.

Jackson also blamed rookie teammate Danny Granger for allowing Vince Carter to score too easily on a key play late in Game 5 against the Nets.

"It's up to Stephen to do the right thing," Bird said. "I don't like some of the things he did this year. If he's back here, which I expect him to be, there's going to be some changes. I don't like our fans booing our players, but some of the things Stephen was doing out on the court frustrated me. I was embarrassed at times."

Bird said coach Rick Carlisle deserves some of the blame for the team's lack of discipline and that Carlisle should expect more from his players.

Oh, c'mon.

That's a locker-room problem? What if Granger DID give up that basket too easy...is it wrong for SJax to hold him accountable for it? AS for him "jacking up 3's" that's wat he does. When Bird got him...that's what he did.

I don't see what Larry Bird wants. SJax is what he is, I dont' think him making those comments or shooting 3's is detremental to the team in anyway. If they wanted a different type of player, they should have gone after a different type of player...SJax takes big shots (and sometimes bad ones) and he is a physical player who loves to run his mouth and get in peoples faces.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:40 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44547

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Oh, c'mon.

That's a locker-room problem? What if Granger DID give up that basket too easy...is it wrong for SJax to hold him accountable for it? AS for him "jacking up 3's" that's wat he does. When Bird got him...that's what he did.

I don't see what Larry Bird wants. SJax is what he is, I dont' think him making those comments or shooting 3's is detremental to the team in anyway. If they wanted a different type of player, they should have gone after a different type of player...SJax takes big shots (and sometimes bad ones) and he is a physical player who loves to run his mouth and get in peoples faces.
If it were just him, it would probably be no big deal. But I think they're afraid they're going to be Portland if they don't get control of their team.

They shipped out Artest already, and Jackson, Tinsley, and even O'Neal have been discussed as guys that a lot of people there would like to see go.

We remember Jax as a guy whose clutch shooting outweighed his occasional stupidity. I think Indiana perceives a lot more of the stupidity than the clutch.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
If it were just him, it would probably be no big deal. But I think they're afraid they're going to be Portland if they don't get control of their team.

They shipped out Artest already, and Jackson, Tinsley, and even O'Neal have been discussed as guys that a lot of people there would like to see go.

We remember Jax as a guy whose clutch shooting outweighed his occasional stupidity. I think Indiana perceives a lot more of the stupidity than the clutch.

I would trade anybody on this team outside of the big 3 for him, honestly.

ducks
07-02-2006, 10:44 PM
he does not address a need
do you think he can guard dirk

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:47 PM

So the Spurs are too good to bring back Jack. Great. He's there for the taking. Buy low. It's not like SA is a great free agent haven. Spurs fans seem to forget the search for a small forward circa '99.

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
I would trade anybody on this team outside of the big 3 for him, honestly.
I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beno and Barry could get it done.

At that price, the only real downside to the deal is his contract.

strangeweather
07-02-2006, 10:49 PM
So the Spurs are too good to bring back Jack. Great. He's there for the taking. Buy low. It's not like SA is a great free agent haven. Spurs fans seem to forget the search for a small forward circa '99.
I didn't say we shouldn't bring him in -- I think it could be a good deal for us. My point was that I don't think Indiana is going to be holding out for top dollar.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:49 PM
he does not address a need
do you think he can guard dirk

As much as Finley or Manu can, sure.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beno and Barry could get it done.

At that price, the only real downside to the deal is his contract.

Parker
Manu
SJax
Duncan
Whoever

That lineup would be nice for years to come. Stick a shot-blocking center who rebounds in there and I just might make a mess on my belly.

ducks
07-02-2006, 10:51 PM

what need does jackson solve
the only might be youth
but spurs did not lose because they were old

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:52 PM
the only might be youth

+Toughness
+Outside shooting

Those are two that come to mind.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Parker
Manu
SJax
Duncan
Nazr

With Speedy/Finley/Horry/Bowen/Javkotas/others off the bench. Omg I'm gonna blow my wad.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:55 PM
28 year old swingman who can score and defend. Not afraid of crunchtime. His contract has 4 years and $27.3 mil left on his contract. Not that cheap, but for someone who can score and play like he can that's reasonable. Considering that the Spurs would be hard pressed to land a similiar talent for less than $50 mil it's not that bad.

Spurs fans act like the perimeter rotation is just fine. Bowen, Finley, and Barry are well into their 30s. Manu is best when not counted on to play heavy minutes. If you bring Jack to SA then he gives you plenty of minutes and scoring and defense.

ducks
07-02-2006, 10:56 PM
barry shots better then him
if barry played the way he did after he was almost traded
we would not be talking about this
however he did not

stephen jackson is not going to take bowen's place
will he come off the bench
will manu be ok permantly coming off the bench?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Bowen's starting spot is no longer sacred.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 10:57 PM
One thing

Please don't stick at him 2. I will boycott I swear, watching him try to push the ball upcourt is painfull. =( SJax for all that money you make 1) get some dental work 2) learn how to dribble

ducks
28 year old swingman who can score and defend. Not afraid of crunchtime. His contract has 4 years and $27.3 mil left on his contract. Not that cheap, but for someone who can score and play like he can that's reasonable. Considering that the Spurs would be hard pressed to land a similiar talent for less than $50 mil it's not that bad.

Spurs fans act like the perimeter rotation is just fine. Bowen, Finley, and Barry are well into their 30s. Manu is best when not counted on to play heavy minutes. If you bring Jack to SA then he gives you plenty of minutes and scoring and defense.

spurs need to get some youth but this year they need to address their bigmen first

strangeweather
the only might be youth
I don't think he fills a huge need, and if it's a choice between Jack and a hardcore need like a mobile, rebounding PF, it's a no brainer which to choose.

But if no better deals materialize, trading up from Barry to Jackson would be a step in the right direction, and could help to keep the minutes down for Manu and Bowen.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:58 PM
barry shots better then him
if barry played the way he did after he was almost traded
we would not be talking about this
however he did not

stephen jackson is not going to take bowen's place
will he come off the bench
will manu be ok permantly coming off the bench?

Ugh. Are Bowen and Manu never going to leave the starting lineup? Are they never going to see their minutes decrease? It's this type of thinking which will F the Spurs over in a year or two.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 10:59 PM
spurs need to get some youth but this year they need to address their bigmen first

When the best available bigman is Scot Pollard can the Spurs actually add some talent to the team?

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:00 PM

God, no.

No more youth...add vets who can help you win now while our window is open. In my opinion that's the next 4-5 years. We could have a fistfull of rings by the end of that...and ten we'll still have tony/manu to build off of.

Stop trying to get young players!

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Ugh. Are Bowen and Manu never going to leave the starting lineup? Are they never going to see their minutes decrease? It's this type of thinking which will F the Spurs over in a year or two.

stephen jackson will be 30 in 2 years when he is starting then
then you have to find someone to replace him then

get someone younger......

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:03 PM
mike,manu and bowen are going to fine for 2 years

if you get a younger player now

you would be fine in 2 years

or you can hope that spurs sign that vet to a min deal for a chance at the title

which is possible or use the mle on them

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:04 PM
stephen jackson will be 30 in 2 years when he is starting then
then you have to find someone to replace him then

get someone younger......

He'd still be younger than every current Spurs' swingman today save for Manu. Try again.

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:06 PM
and he would be on the block every year like barry to try to improve the team
would that be ok with you?

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Spurs fans seem to think that every player wants to play in SA. They don't. SA may hold an allure for players at the end of their careers looking for a ring but otherwise it's sharing the spotlight in a small market and you already have TD, TP, and Manu getting theirs. If you can get the talent in a trade, you do it and you don't complain.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:07 PM
would that be ok with you?

Having assets is a good thing, guy.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM

Doubtful.

zeleni
07-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Not a bad trade for the Spurs. Problem is this works for 2 years and then managment will look for replacements

Finley, Bowen, 2nd PG, and a reliable SG (Manu injured or something)

I would look for so many players to replace. Spurs were looking for 2 years just to come up with Finley. Beno fell from the sky.

So I'd say no one goes until we get a decent PG differing to TP.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey, it's 2006. Let's give TD the best supporting cast now.

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
God, no.

No more youth...add vets who can help you win now while our window is open. In my opinion that's the next 4-5 years. We could have a fistfull of rings by the end of that...and ten we'll still have tony/manu to build off of.

Stop trying to get young players!

MORE YOUTH? what youth do we have now? NONE! Matt Bonner and Beno are the only guys on our bench UNDER 30! WE NEED YOUTH! Right now our average team age is 66

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:20 PM
spurs will draft there guy next year to replace manu
WATCH

Slinkyman
Let's trade for Sjax and start him at PF

Please_dont_ban_me
MORE YOUTH? what youth do we have now? NONE! Matt Bonner and Beno are the only guys on our bench UNDER 30! WE NEED YOUTH! Right now our average team age is 66

I meant young players we would have to develop.

If it's "youth" who can come in and contribute, go for it. But don't fuck with our window of opportunity right now with Duncan/Manu.

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Having assets is a good thing, guy.

stephen jackson is not a big assest

Please_dont_ban_me
Let's trade for Sjax and start him at PF

SJax at PF > Finley at PF

Please_dont_ban_me

...and Beno Udrih is?

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I meant young players we would have to develop.

If it's "youth" who can come in and contribute, go for it. But don't fuck with our window of opportunity right now with Duncan/Manu.

did you forget tp :angel

Slinkyman
07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
SJax at PF > Finley at PF

Bonner at PF> SJax at PF

ducks
07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
...and Beno Udrih is?

manu is a better assest then either of those players

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:24 PM

Today, not so much. Tomorrow, after playing well and helping the Spurs win another title...

Man, the Spurs cannot be as choosy as some of you believe they can be.

Mr. Body
07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
If the Spurs got Jackson for Barry+Beno this year, what exactly do you think he'll be worth in another two years?

Worse than Barry+Beno. It's not like his value is gonna rise.

ashbeeigh
07-02-2006, 11:27 PM
Bonner at PF> SJax at PF

That's exactly what I was thinking. :tu, you beat me to it.

Please_dont_ban_me
did you forget tp :angel

What exactly am I forgetting, ducks?

A late first rounder who happened to pan out...so you're suggesting we keep gambling until life fucks us in the ass? I suggest we gamble once in a while but go with players who we know can help the team now.

Big P
Your kidding right? Jax..as PF? wtf

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:28 PM
manu is a better assest then either of those players

Right, becaue we're trading Manu in this lifetime.

SPARKY
07-02-2006, 11:28 PM
If the Spurs got Jackson for Barry+Beno this year, what exactly do you think he'll be worth in another two years?

Barry's out of the league in 2 years and Beno may have a backup gig somewhere.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-02-2006, 11:29 PM

Weird...

From the Nets, to here, to Atlanta, to the Pacers...I think his value has gone up and down. Why are you convinced it won't go back up now? It's not like he's an old fart now.

Beer is Good
07-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Jackson is not a PF. SF yes, PF hell no. I do think he could be useful if used correctly. I dont understand this "he can't guard Dirk" bullshit - we've been playing Dirk led teams and kicking their asses for a few years and they finally got one on us. Big Fucking Deal. We lost because of nagging injuries and poor strategy and execution, not because our SF couldnt guard Dirk. Bring in Javtokas and another center to share the duty (especially defensively), keep TD at PF, and make a deal like this if possible. If not possible, then wait until mid year and see what possibilities open up.