PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Rooney vs. Christiano Ronaldo

GrandeDavid
07-03-2006, 08:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/specials/world_cup/2006/07/03/bc.eu.spt.soc.wcup.ronaldo.backlash.ap/index.html

Ronaldo's bridges burned

Portgual winger reportedly out at Man U, Rooney irate

Posted: Monday July 3, 2006 7:21AM; Updated: Monday July 3, 2006 8:10AM
LONDON (AP) -- Portuguese winger Cristiano Ronaldo, criticized for his role in Wayne Rooney's sending off at the World Cup, won't be back at Manchester United and can expect payback from the star England striker in the future, a British newspaper said.

Quoting an unnamed source, The Sun reported Monday that Rooney threatened to "split him in two" when the two next meet.

Ronaldo may be wearing a different uniform when that happens. The British tabloid says United will show Ronaldo the door "because of his World Cup shame."

Ronaldo, who has spoken of moving to Real Madrid, infuriated England players for his actions in United teammate Rooney's ejection Saturday. After Rooney stamped on defender Ricardo Carvalho's groin, Ronaldo rushed to the Argentina referee to complain. When Rooney was shown the red card, moments after shoving Ronaldo, cameras caught Ronaldo winking -- apparently at the Portugal bench.

The Daily Mail reported that an irate Rooney tried to get into the Portugal dressing room after the match before senior players stepped in and warned he was putting his career in jeopardy.

Citing a top Football Association source, The Sun reported Rooney's rant came one day after penalty shootout loss to Portugal in the World Cup quarterfinals. Rubbing salt in the wound, Ronaldo converted the penalty kick that sealed the Portuguese win.

"At breakfast in the hotel this morning, Wayne said he would split him in two and smack him in the head. Who can blame him?" the source told The Sun. "He is determined to settle the score in his own way and there is nothing anyone can do about it."

The newspaper also said Ronaldo had apparently joked before the game with Rooney that he would get him sent off.

The Sun has joined the anti-Ronaldo bandwagon, printing a mock dartboard with a picture of Ronaldo winking.

"Here's every England fan's chance to get revenge on the world's biggest winker," the paper said.

Ronaldo, meanwhile, has denied asking the referee for a red card and said he was "very sorry" for Rooney.

"The English press say the referee gave a red card because I spoke (to him), but this is not true," Ronaldo is quoted as saying on Manchester United's official Web site. "I said 'ref this is foul' but I did not say 'red card' because Wayne is my friend and I play at the same team as him."

Ronaldo has denied any lingering bad feeling between the two players.

"The things that have been said regarding me and my teammate and friend Rooney are incredible," Ronaldo was quoted as saying Monday on the Web site of the Gestifute agency, which represents him.

"Between me and Rooney, there is absolutely no problem."

Still the flashy Portuguese winger can apparently expect a torrid reception from other England players.

"I saw what Ronaldo did," said Steven Gerrard, according to English reports. "I saw him going over to the referee and giving him the card and I think he was bang out of order. If he were one of my teammates I would be absolutely disgusted with him.

"After Wayne was sent off he (Ronaldo) winked at his bench and his teammates and that just about sums him up as a person. If I were playing against a teammate from Liverpool and they were involved in a situation like that I would never try to get them sent off."

Added fellow midfielder Frank Lampard: "He's supposed to be a teammate of Wayne's at Manchester United and he does something like that. It's not nice, is it? A lot has been made of trying to promote fair play in this tournament and that was certainly not fair play. Unfortunately that's the way it is with some players. We were told that anyone who tried to get someone else a yellow or red card would get a yellow but it just hasn't happened."

Defender John Terry was reportedly upset at the behavior of other members of the Portuguese squad, including Chelsea teammate Carvalho. "It's really disappointing seeing that -- players playing in the Premiership too. Teammates as well. It's disappointing to see them coming over doing that."

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

GrandeDavid
07-03-2006, 08:19 AM
I read another report that Ronaldo was claiming that there's no bad blood between him and Rooney, that the press was blowing this out of proportion, that Rooney wished him luck in the semi-finals, that they were still friends. But I'm not buying that shit at all. I know if I were Rooney I'd be irate over the situation. I'm not saying I'd split Ronaldo in two, as Rooney allegedly said he was going to do, but I'd be very pissed.

On that play, Rooney was double-teamed, had one guy tugging his jersey, then they all fell. I'd like to look at a replay again to see the groin shot to make a fair judgement. At first viewing I didn't catch it. Even so, the ref was slow to pull out the red card and did so after Ronaldo went to complain.

But on the other side of the coin, Rooney might've been cursing and swiping and clawing throughout the entire match. These incidents are never one-sided.

WalterBenitez
07-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Is there any official statement about why Rooney was sent off, I think the kick deserved a yellow card, you know why ok ... :nutkick:

The question is what did the ref said in his report, either Rooney said sth inapropriate or he :vomit: or sth like that

In both cases he must be :frying: ... hey boy you are in WC don't do that, just apologize, shown yourself as very sorry don't overreact.

Rooney and Ronaldo under the same roof ... no way, I think is smart to send Ronaldo out of UK he'll be remembered for his action.

WalterBenitez
07-03-2006, 08:27 AM
I'd like to look at a replay again to see the groin shot to make a fair judgement. At first viewing I didn't catch it. Even so, the ref was slow to pull out the red card and did so after Ronaldo went to complain.

Oh man, technically speaking was a perfect kick just under the groin ... :D
Intentionally, not sure ... I don't think that refs considered that as direct red card, I supposse (I suppose I said) that Rooney said or did sth after that "perfect kick".

velik_m
07-03-2006, 08:32 AM
:lol the sun. great source.

GrandeDavid
07-03-2006, 08:53 AM
The source is CNNSI. I

I would hope that they would only take more accurate accounts from the Sun, though. But it doesn't take special journalistic insight to know that what went down was ugly, regardless of the source.

As far as what the ref said, he claims he issued the red card for the kick, only, but he sure did take a while to pull it out.

Texas_Ranger
07-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Rooney is an asshole.

nkdlunch
07-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, cause Ronaldo MADE Rooney step on a player's nuts :rolleyes

Rooney is a stupid fucking hooligan and his carrer won't last at all. He was the most overhyped player in the whole tournament.

Fuck the English, I was laughing when they were crying like bitches cause they lost. They have no heart and showed it by pissing their panties in the penalty shots.

GrandeDavid
07-03-2006, 11:14 AM
nkd, why don't you tell us how you really feel! :lol

nkdlunch
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
hehe this is what the world cup does!

Lol at english blaming everyone but themselves.

Texas_Ranger
07-03-2006, 11:39 AM

Rooney is a stupid fucking hooligan and his carrer won't last at all. He was the most overhyped player in the whole tournament.

Fuck the English, I was laughing when they were crying like bitches cause they lost. They have no heart and showed it by pissing their panties in the penalty shots.

Yeah, me too. He is most overated player ever and he sucks.

GrandeDavid
07-03-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm just glad England got eliminated so Germany can start restocking the beer before I get there in a few months! Seriously, get the hooligans the hell out of there. A Germany vs. England matchup would've been lethal.

Texas_Ranger
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
^ Yeah, England fans are big morons.

judaspriestess
07-03-2006, 12:11 PM
well first off, Ronaldo (god bless his gorgeous soul :angel ) is playing for HIS COUNTRY. Country comes first. lets be realistic. You think Rooney would not have done the same thing? Rooney is known for his temper, he brought this on to himself in the first place.
Ronaldo can come play in the MLS :lol
I'm glad England lost, now I can pick on some blokes here in Vegas. :spin

Bob Lanier
07-03-2006, 12:37 PM

:tu

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-03-2006, 05:49 PM
you cant brand all english fans as 'hooligans', every country has their share of idiots

Spurologist
07-03-2006, 10:35 PM
England players can go fuck themselves. They are overreacting because they lost a GAME. That shit happens all the time and has happened in every world cup, where players go up to the ref to get a card. I don't care if Ronaldo did that. England are acting like whining bitches. They took the game to penalty and couldn't win with the world class spot kickers they have. Cry me river, England.

Streakyshooter08
07-04-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm just glad England got eliminated so Germany can start restocking the beer before I get there in a few months! Seriously, get the hooligans the hell out of there. A Germany vs. England matchup would've been lethal.

You are comming to Germany? Where do you go?

GrandeDavid
07-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Iche soll meine ehemaliga Gastfamilie im Hamburg besuchen...auf jedefalls werde ich ein bischen Urlaub machen, danach Betriebs.

Streakyshooter08
07-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Iche soll meine ehemaliga Gastfamilie im Hamburg besuchen...auf jedefalls werde ich ein bischen Urlaub machen, danach Betriebs.

Cool, Hamburg is really nice. I once met Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins there (maybe you have heard of him). Wish you lots of fun... hopefully you will be in the country of the new Soccer world champs... :spin

(Sorry for the off-topic!!!)

Slo spurs fan
07-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Fuck that stupid SOTB Rooney. He´s IQ is less than 50.

velik_m
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
if someone wants to hear things from a more credible source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5141510.stm

Rooney 'gobsmacked' by red card

Striker Wayne Rooney said he was "gobsmacked" to be sent off for a stamp on Ricardo Carvalho in England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

And he insisted he was not angry with Cristiano Ronaldo, who appeared to encourage the referee to send him off.

"I want to say absolutely categorically that I did not intentionally put my foot down on Carvalho," said Rooney.

The 20-year-old added: "I bear no ill feeling to Cristiano but am disappointed he chose to get involved."

England ended up losing 3-1 on penalties to Portugal having drawn 0-0 after extra-time. Rooney's Manchester United team-mate Ronaldo scored the winning spot-kick.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's men played the final hour of the match with 10 men after Rooney's sending-off, but in a statement released on Monday, the striker said: "When the referee produced the red card I was amazed - gobsmacked."

He added: "Obviously I'm bitterly disappointed to have been sent off in a World Cup finals match for England."

"I remember the incident clearly and have seen it several times since on TV," Rooney said.

"I am of the same opinion now as I was at the time that what happened didn't warrant a red card. If anything, I feel we should have had a free-kick for the fouls committed on me during the same incident.

"If you ask any player - and indeed almost any fan - they will tell you that I am straight and honest in the way I play.

"From what I've seen in the World Cup, most players would have gone to ground at the slightest contact but my only thought then was to keep possession for England."

Rooney hailed his England team-mates, who fought valiantly to force extra-time and penalties despite being a man down.

"I thought the England lads were awesome after I went off and the effort they put in was amazing," he said.

"Truly if there was any justice England would now be preparing for a World Cup semi-final. Sadly, however, that is not to be in 2006."

Earlier on Monday, Ronaldo insisted there was no ill-feeling between him and Rooney.

"At the end we texted each other and between us everything's been cleared," he said.

Ronaldo added: "The things that have been said regarding me and my team-mate and friend Rooney are incredible."

"He wished me the best of luck in the World Cup. He told me we had a great team and that if we continued to play like this, we would go far.

"He wasn't angry with me and, moreover, he told me to completely ignore what the English press has said, that all they wanted was to create confusion, but we are already used to that."

Ronaldo insisted he was not to blame for Rooney's dismissal, despite appearing to wink at the Portuguese bench once the red card had been shown.

"I am not a referee and I don't have the power to send off a player," said Ronaldo.

"I had nothing to do with the fact that the referee showed the red card."

And referee Horacio Elizondo said Ronaldo did not influence his decision to send off Rooney.

Elizondo told The Times: "It was violent play and therefore he got a red card.

"People can say what they want (about Ronaldo) but this had absolutely no influence.

"In general I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing because I don't care about the pressure on my shoulders during a match.

"For me it was a clear red card."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5141510.stm

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
it was a clear red card?? :lol give me a break, has he not seen the replays?? Rooney got screwed. Still, shit happens!

judaspriestess
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Regardless, England was playing very lethargic through out the whole tournament. Example, Peckerwood(Beckham) was playing like the p*ssywhipped bloke he is. First he was puking, then limping, what a wuss. He should have been the 6th SpiceGirl. England would have lost eventually no matter what. They just didn't have what it takes for this world cup.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
don't get me wrong, I thought England played like crap and deserved to lose, but Rooney definately got shafted!

cheguevara
07-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Nope, he deserved the red card. Anyone who steps on opponent's nuts deserves a red card. Many red cards this world cup have been for way less.

MaNuMaNiAc
07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Nope, he deserved the red card. Anyone who steps on opponent's nuts deserves a red card. Many red cards this world cup have been for way less.
are you serious?? you can't tell me you think that was on purpose http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif dude was fighting for the ball and happened to step on the other guy. It was a clear accident.

cheguevara
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
are you serious?? you can't tell me you think that was on purpose http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif dude was fighting for the ball and happened to step on the other guy. It was a clear accident.

Of course it was on purpose. watch it again. he clearly looks down and back to point his heel into the nuts.

velik_m
07-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Pushing Ronaldo away afterwards didn't help Rooney's cause either.

judaspriestess
07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
don't get me wrong, I thought England played like crap and deserved to lose, but Rooney definately got shafted!

all part of the chain of events towards their eventual loss

GrandeDavid
07-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Cool, Hamburg is really nice. I once met Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins there (maybe you have heard of him). Wish you lots of fun... hopefully you will be in the country of the new Soccer world champs... :spin

(Sorry for the off-topic!!!)

Unfortunately it was not meant to be, bro. I was pulling for Germany after the U.S. inevitably went out early, then after Brazil totally and thoroughly let me down. Cool that you ran into Billy C. in Hamburg! Echt geil! lol

Wohnst du in Deutschland, auf jedenfalls im Hamburg?

Now here's to Klinsmann actually taking over U.S. soccer as rumored to happen!

GrandeDavid
07-07-2006, 07:11 AM
if someone wants to hear things from a more credible source:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5141510.stm

Rooney 'gobsmacked' by red card

Striker Wayne Rooney said he was "gobsmacked" to be sent off for a stamp on Ricardo Carvalho in England's World Cup quarter-final against Portugal.

And he insisted he was not angry with Cristiano Ronaldo, who appeared to encourage the referee to send him off.

"I want to say absolutely categorically that I did not intentionally put my foot down on Carvalho," said Rooney.

The 20-year-old added: "I bear no ill feeling to Cristiano but am disappointed he chose to get involved."

England ended up losing 3-1 on penalties to Portugal having drawn 0-0 after extra-time. Rooney's Manchester United team-mate Ronaldo scored the winning spot-kick.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's men played the final hour of the match with 10 men after Rooney's sending-off, but in a statement released on Monday, the striker said: "When the referee produced the red card I was amazed - gobsmacked."

He added: "Obviously I'm bitterly disappointed to have been sent off in a World Cup finals match for England."

"I remember the incident clearly and have seen it several times since on TV," Rooney said.

"I am of the same opinion now as I was at the time that what happened didn't warrant a red card. If anything, I feel we should have had a free-kick for the fouls committed on me during the same incident.

"If you ask any player - and indeed almost any fan - they will tell you that I am straight and honest in the way I play.

"From what I've seen in the World Cup, most players would have gone to ground at the slightest contact but my only thought then was to keep possession for England."

Rooney hailed his England team-mates, who fought valiantly to force extra-time and penalties despite being a man down.

"I thought the England lads were awesome after I went off and the effort they put in was amazing," he said.

"Truly if there was any justice England would now be preparing for a World Cup semi-final. Sadly, however, that is not to be in 2006."

Earlier on Monday, Ronaldo insisted there was no ill-feeling between him and Rooney.

"At the end we texted each other and between us everything's been cleared," he said.

Ronaldo added: "The things that have been said regarding me and my team-mate and friend Rooney are incredible."

"He wished me the best of luck in the World Cup. He told me we had a great team and that if we continued to play like this, we would go far.

"He wasn't angry with me and, moreover, he told me to completely ignore what the English press has said, that all they wanted was to create confusion, but we are already used to that."

Ronaldo insisted he was not to blame for Rooney's dismissal, despite appearing to wink at the Portuguese bench once the red card had been shown.

"I am not a referee and I don't have the power to send off a player," said Ronaldo.

"I had nothing to do with the fact that the referee showed the red card."

And referee Horacio Elizondo said Ronaldo did not influence his decision to send off Rooney.

Elizondo told The Times: "It was violent play and therefore he got a red card.

"People can say what they want (about Ronaldo) but this had absolutely no influence.

"In general I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing because I don't care about the pressure on my shoulders during a match.

"For me it was a clear red card."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5141510.stm

Thanks for posting this, haas. The reason I opened this thread was to get viewer opinions on the incident. The English sensationalist sect of the press is just trying to sell fishwraps, which as we all know does not often include credible news. BBC is a credible source, obviously. still, the point of the this thread is to get the opinions of those who saw the incident. I was actually distracted when it happened, so I missed most of it.

GrandeDavid
07-07-2006, 07:15 AM
So my friend ManuMania thinks Rooney got jobbed. Most of you think it was legit, but I have to wonder how much bias there is among you against the English players. Because it is Wayne Rooney and the way he plays, maybe its easy to assume his intentions were to injure, harm, maim, what have you. After all, from what I've heard from others is that English players often get a bad rap for being dirty players. That's what I heard from a broadcast in Brazil, the U.S. and just general opinion.

On the other hand, Rooney seems to be accepting the red card more humbly than I would've thought were it not merited.

nkdlunch
07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
So my friend ManuMania thinks Rooney got jobbed. Most of you think it was legit, but I have to wonder how much bias there is among you against the English players. Because it is Wayne Rooney and the way he plays, maybe its easy to assume his intentions were to injure, harm, maim, what have you. After all, from what I've heard from others is that English players often get a bad rap for being dirty players. That's what I heard from a broadcast in Brazil, the U.S. and just general opinion.

On the other hand, Rooney seems to be accepting the red card more humbly than I would've thought were it not merited.

More humbly? I can't imagine how else would he take that card.

BTW, I wonder if Manumania thought the elbow from Artest to Manu last playoffs was intentional? :smokin