View Full Version : Mavs' Mbenga gets multiyear deal

ducks
07-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Mavs' Mbenga gets multiyear deal
Agreement with center comes as Mavs bid for coveted guard James

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...fs.186dde8.html

12:03 AM CDT on Monday, July 3, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

While the Mavericks play the waiting game with top free-agent target Mike James, they have come to terms with backup center D.J. Mbenga on a multiyear contract.

Mbenga has been with the team for two seasons. He earned $880,000 last season. Terms of the new deal were not disclosed. Mbenga can't sign the agreement until July 12, per free-agency rules.

The Mavericks were impressed with the way the 7-footer improved as the season went on. He's one of the most athletic centers in the league and still is learning the game. Mbenga appeared in 43 games last season and averaged more than five blocked shots per 48 minutes played.

Meanwhile, plenty of competition has cropped up in the Mavericks' pursuit of James, arguably the top free-agent guard left on the market. The Atlanta Hawks and Houston Rockets, among others, are pursuing the 6-2 guard, who averaged 20.3 points for Toronto this season.

Because of the high interest, James and agent Bill Duffy appear to be in no hurry to accept the Mavericks' offer of their $5 million mid-level exception, or any other offer.

Taking their time might pay off.

The Hawks lost out on their bid to sign Sam Cassell. Since the Hawks are under the salary cap, they can offer James more money than the Mavericks.

The Mavericks appear content to wait on James, although they also are interested in Denver forward Reggie Evans.

The Rockets made a strong push for James as soon as the free-agent negotiating period started Friday. Coach Jeff Van Gundy was ringing James' doorbell at his Houston home at 11:01 p.m. to start the wooing process.

Like the Mavericks, Houston is hesitant to give James, 31, more than a three-year contract.

furry_spurry
07-03-2006, 09:07 AM
I bet Toronto works out a S&T with James and picks up a shooter.

Dallas is interested in Reggie Evans. Where's LJ?

ducks
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
when nuggets signed nene
it said evan was close to being a done deal in denver

Please_dont_ban_me
07-03-2006, 09:34 AM
=(

loveforthegame
07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
The Mavs have offered the MLE to James and I bet he accepts. I just don't see him going to Atlanta, even for the money. I guess Houston is still an option but I'd run to Dallas before going there.

The Nuggets need another shooting guard so I won't be surprised to see a Daniels for Evans in a sign/trade deal.

Mavs call it an off season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I just don't see him going to Atlanta, even for the money

Why not? All things being equal, the players always take the money. This will be his last big contract, you're kidding yourself if you don't think he's going to try and cash in.

loveforthegame
07-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm never surprised when a player goes for the money. I just don't see Atlanta offering that much more than the MLE to him. So it comes down to a couple extra million and losing or a chance to win with a couple million less.

leemajors
07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
i think he would lean more towards houston than dallas.

LEONARD
07-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Mbenga... :fro

James in Dallas would be sweet... :fro

Or Bonzai...

TDMVPDPOY
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
if i were him either goto houston or dallas, because they have are contenders, and texas = income tax free.

picnroll
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
James lives in Houston, would be a starter there. Hard to see how Dallas wins that battle. Dallas tried a S&T for Daniels but Raps said no thanks to that.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
James lives in Houston, would be a starter there. Hard to see how Dallas wins that battle. Dallas tried a S&T for Daniels but Raps said no thanks to that.
That's because Daniels is on a 6 yr $36M contract. WTF was Dallas thinking?

Supergirl
07-03-2006, 11:33 AM
ANyone else think they signed him just to keep him away from SA, Houston, Phoenix? That seems like a big deal for a 3rd string center. Or could they be looking to dump Dampier's contract?

windboy226
07-03-2006, 01:09 PM
That's because Daniels is on a 6 yr $36M contract. WTF was Dallas thinking?

He was an undrafted free agent and had averaged close to 18 ppg in the games he started that year(close to 30 if I remember correctly). Under Don Nelson he was perfect for that team...He's been injured throughout this year and whenever he comes into the game seems to make some dumb mistake so Avery's lost trust in him. At the time the contract was reasonable and still is for a young guard with good skills. He'd average over 15 if Avery gave him 30 minutes a game.

windboy226
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
ANyone else think they signed him just to keep him away from SA, Houston, Phoenix? That seems like a big deal for a 3rd string center. Or could they be looking to dump Dampier's contract?

??? Terms were not disclosed though I'm guessing he's going to make a little less than Diop and his deal started at $2 million.

CubanMustGo
07-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Dallas paper implies that James wants more than a three year contract and that neither Houston or Dallas is willing to offer him one ... which might be one more reason he considers Atlanta. More money and more guaranteed seasons.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
At the time the contract was reasonable and still is for a young guard with good skills.No, the Mavs went Nene/Darius Miles on Quis and bid against themselves. It was stupid for them and stupid for Daniels.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
No, the Mavs went Nene/Darius Miles on Quis and bid against themselves. It was stupid for them and stupid for Daniels.
Looks like they did it again with MBenga. Two million, starting, for a third string center?

leemajors
07-03-2006, 01:46 PM
let the summer of cuban begin!!!

T Park
07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
:lol

So much for Cuban showing financial restraint...

windboy226
07-03-2006, 03:30 PM
No, the Mavs went Nene/Darius Miles on Quis and bid against themselves. It was stupid for them and stupid for Daniels.

Not really...even now I think it's a pretty reasonable contract for a guy who can average 15-18 points a game if given the minutes. At the time he was a free agent he would have signed a similar contract with another team. It's a contract where he's averaging 6 million a yr...not 10. With Nelson at the helm Daniels I'm sure expected way more minutes than he's getting under Avery.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 03:32 PM
At the time he was a free agent he would have signed a similar contract with another team.Then let him sign it -- if the offer truly existed -- and match it. Don't bid against yourself. So sayeth the Sterling One.

Quadzilla99
07-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Mike James is not going to want to go Dallas to be a backup when he can go to Houston to start. If, If Houston stays healthy they have a shot at competing in the playoffs and they didn't just sign another pg to a huge deal. 0% chance he goes to Dallas to be a backup in the prime of his career. How's Dallas going to find minutes for 3 pgs all 6'3 and under? Harris is already unhappy.

windboy226
07-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Then let him sign it -- if the offer truly existed -- and match it. Don't bid against yourself. So sayeth the Sterling One.

We tried that one with Nash and we lost him...Daniels wasn't a restricted free agent because he was undrafted.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Daniels wasn't a restricted free agent because he was undrafted.Untrue.

Amarelooms
07-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Mike James is not going to want to go Dallas to be a backup when he can go to Houston to start. If, If Houston stays healthy they have a shot at competing in the playoffs and they didn't just sign another pg to a huge deal. 0% chance he goes to Dallas to be a backup in the prime of his career. How's Dallas going to find minutes for 3 pgs all 6'3 and under? Harris is already unhappy.

Harris is not unhappy...don't make stupid stuff up Spurs homer....thanks.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 04:23 PM
It's possible they were afraid someone was going to steal Daniels away like Seattle did Cal Booth with an offer over the MLE, but I think they were too quick with the pen.

windboy226
07-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Untrue.

Oops...sorry I stand corrected. I mean the Mavs didn't have Bird rights for him because he was an undrafted free agent so they couldn't just match whatever contract someone offered him. If someone had offered him a Nene like contract the Mavs would have lost him.

exstatic
07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Oops...sorry I stand corrected. I mean the Mavs didn't have Bird rights for him because he was an undrafted free agent so they couldn't just match whatever contract someone offered him. If someone had offered him a Nene like contract the Mavs would have lost him.
And now they're stuck with him. The only GM crazy enough to take that on would be Isaiah. Better hurry. The smart money has him gone after this year.

windboy226
07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Daniels is a tradeable and his contract isn't THAT bad- it's not like it's a Van Horn or Dampier number...He's a good player. Honestly I wish Avery would just give him more time but with the drafting of Ager and their pursuit of another PG it doesn't look like Daniels is going to be with the Mavs after the summer.

LEONARD
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM

Terry is really a SG...remember the Mavs starting lineup for most of the Spurs series?

Harris is unhappy?? source???

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Seems like Cuban has the billionaire owner mindset of spend more money then everyone and you are guaranteed to win. Oh, must be nice to be rich.

mavsfan1000
07-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Great signing. Dallas's 3 headed monster of Diop, Dampier, and Mbenga might be too much for Duncan to handle.

ChumpDumper
07-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Sure was last season...

T Park
07-03-2006, 07:24 PM
:lol

Yeah Duncan was held down pretty good in that Mavs series averaging 30 a game :lol

Budkin
07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Great signing. Dallas's 3 headed monster of Diop, Dampier, and Mbenga might be too much for Duncan to handle.

:lmao

mFFL03
07-05-2006, 03:25 AM
thats because duncan knows how to play the ref game

mbenga is barley learning the physics of the game, he will be a beast in 2 years

diop is pumping up right now

and damp is learning to catch passes

Melmart1
07-05-2006, 03:39 AM
Mbenga learning this...

Dampier learning that...

Means nothing if Dirk can't learn to make a shot in the 4th quarter.

Dalhoop
07-05-2006, 06:40 AM

James would be the starter at SG. The Mavs would be in a tree guard rotation with Terry, Harris and James getting the bulk of the minutes at both PG and SG. We plan on playing small ball more this season <something I don't agree with>

With Daniels on the block, Griffen a FA and Armstrong thinking of retirement, the Mavs need to get more bodies at SG. Ager was a very good start, James would give the offense that Griffen did not.

As for DJ <Mbenga> Its a good deal. We see him play and he gets better with every game. He only learned the game something like 4-5 years ago, he is going to improve. The fact that other teams were looking at him shows that he has raw talent <5bpg per 48 minutes>

We are waiting for the Daniels shoe to drop. We need to get a back-up for Dirk and then our off-season will be complete.

The Spurs on the other hand are not doing so well this off-season ... Is Timmy going to play Center with Bonner at PF?

Quadzilla99
07-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Harris is not unhappy...don't make stupid stuff up Spurs homer....thanks.

Terry is really a SG...remember the Mavs starting lineup for most of the Spurs series?

Harris is unhappy?? source???

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44638&highlight=Devin+Harris+Miami+season